• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
TOS is one of those games where you will need a guide if you plan on getting everything. And yeah, there seems to be tons of missables. Though none game breaking and mostly relating to achievements.

Firestorm

Farore said:
^ Sad panda :(

What? The Recover skill can be missed for good? WTF?
No. It's a skill attached to an axe that you can buy in the third town. I didn't buy it (low on money and didn't realize). I only found out that I'd missed it and had to go back for it about 20+ hours in ;_;

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jiggy said:
Yeah, when playing Abyss and Vesperia I really wished they had kept Backstep and Recover as default commands that don't need to be learned. Not having them for even a short period of time always felt odd to me and always will.

I don't even use them. :lol

PseudoKirby said:
just buy a damn 360

if you like RPG's (W and J) then you wont be disappointed with a 360

I'm in Australia. It isn't even out here and I can't import because the namco scum region locked it for no reason.

PseudoKirby said:
just buy a damn 360

if you like RPG's (W and J) then you wont be disappointed with a 360

It seems that even with a 360 you aren't guaranteed to play the game. I'm European and I won't buy a second 360 for the game. I own one. That is enough.

What the fuck is up with the Euro release? There isn't even a date yet. Honestly I think the game won't be released in PAL regions anymore.

Obviously it sold like crap in the west. More and more shops confirm the game was discontinued by Namco. The Americans didn't buy the game, there is no chance Europe would make up for the bad sales.

Thanks to Namco and their fuckin' region lock policy I can't play the game. I'm with lucablight on this one and hope for a PS3 port. It will work on my PAL PS3.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Was doing pretty good with the Secret Missions, but I never got the
Mother's Memento
and
the fight with Yeager I tried like 5 times before giving up
. Oh well, I think I'm about to beat part 2 and onto the final stretch. Hopefully I can finish it this weekend. Gotta move on to StarTropics 2.

Keikoku

Banned
So, scamco, will you release this to Europe you dumb fucks ?

I'm with lucablight on this one and hope for a PS3 port. It will work on my PAL PS3.

I don't think they will port TOV for the PS3, and if they do it, it won't happens before 2010. The game will be available on the 360 for PAL territories at this time... I hope.
But basically, yeah, fuck namco for having region locked this.

Sagitario

Fuck the Gattuso... seriously, I replayed that fight like 10 times, at the end the other 3 party members were dead [no more Life Bottles] and I ended up killing it alone and thanks to A LOT of gels [trying to do the secret mission didn't help either]...

Yuri is way too slow and he doesn't block immediately after a combo... also, I feel the timing for combos is kind of weird... maybe it's just me, maybe I just need to get used to it, but something feels weird, most of the time I'm receiving negative grade...

Jiggy

Farore said:
Yuri is way too slow and he doesn't block immediately after a combo... also, I feel the timing for combos is kind of weird... maybe it's just me, maybe I just need to get used to it, but something feels weird, most of the time I'm receiving negative grade...
Yeah, after a while I just dropped playing Yuri and kicked him out of the team (until he gets his broken skills later in the game, but then I still kicked him out of the team for being too powerful) because the way he needs to flip his sword back after every combo kind of bothered me.

Duelist

Hey, so I just picked this up today. Had a quick question. Would you recommend that I play this with a guide so that I don't miss anything or just play it on my own? I hear there's a lot of missable stuff in this game and I know that I most likely won't be doing a second run of the game (too much stuff in backlog).

Sagitario

There is something wrong with me, I can't freaking chain arcane artes!

Arggggh! It frustrates me! Only Eternia gave me this weird timing issues...

I mean, this is fine: 3 normal hits -> Base arte
But when I try to do 3 normal hits -> Base arte -> Arcane arte, Yuri stops attacking after the base arte [or if I try to block after the base, he doesn't]...

Jiggy said:
Yeah, after a while I just dropped playing Yuri and kicked him out of the team (until he gets his broken skills later in the game, but then I still kicked him out of the team for being too powerful) because the way he needs to flip his sword back after every combo kind of bothered me.

My brother watches me playing and it bothers him too... :lol

Farore said:
There is something wrong with me, I can't freaking chain arcane artes!

Arggggh! It frustrates me! Only Eternia gave me this weird timing issues...

I mean, this is fine: 3 normal hits -> Base arte
But when I try to do 3 normal hits -> Base arte -> Arcane arte, Yuri stops attacking after the base arte [or if I try to block after the base, he doesn't]...

My brother watches me playing and it bothers him too... :lol
You do have the base arte -> arcane arte Combo skill, right?

Sagitario

You don't need a skill to do the basic combo of 3 hits -> Base -> Arcane...

You do need some skills to chain 3 hits -> Base -> Base -> Arcane or 3 hits -> Base -> Altered -> Arcane, etc.

ZealousD

Jiggy said:
because the way he needs to flip his sword back after every combo kind of bothered me.

It's functional, it's there to show you the delay between the end of your combo and when you can start a new one. If there wasn't a short delay the game would be a fair bit easier and combos would be easier to build.

It's because of that little sword flip that I pay more attention to defense (blocking and positioning) in Vesperia than in other Tales games, and I also pay more attention to building combos and trying to keep attacking as long as I can.

It increases the difficulty without using a brute force solution like changing numbers around. Tales of Symphonia DotNW did that and it was a worse game for it.

Jiggy

I'm talking about the visual effect, not the mechanics. Estelle, Repede, and Judith can't attack immediately after their combo ends either, but I actually like playing them because it's not in their characters to add random senseless flourish to their attacks.

ampere

I ended up buying Vesperia on a whim when it was cheap on Amazon. I didn't like Symphonia very much on the cube, but for some reason I'm really enjoying Vesperia :D I just got a chance to start it this weekend, played about 3 hours. Yuri is a pretty cool main character and I'm enjoying the battle system, the way the world map is set up and the little character chat things that pop-up when you hit back sometimes.
Definitely worth the purchase. Scamco might not deserve my money for their slimy DLC, but for the game they certainly do.

ZealousD

Jiggy said:
I'm talking about the visual effect, not the mechanics. Estelle, Repede, and Judith can't attack immediately after their combo ends either, but I actually like playing them because it's not in their characters to add random senseless flourish to their attacks.

Right, and I'm saying that the flourish is an indicator. You know you can attack again when he's done.

Fortinbras said:
It seems that even with a 360 you aren't guaranteed to play the game. I'm European and I won't buy a second 360 for the game. I own one. That is enough.

What the fuck is up with the Euro release? There isn't even a date yet. Honestly I think the game won't be released in PAL regions anymore.

Obviously it sold like crap in the west. More and more shops confirm the game was discontinued by Namco. The Americans didn't buy the game, there is no chance Europe would make up for the bad sales.

Thanks to Namco and their fuckin' region lock policy I can't play the game. I'm with lucablight on this one and hope for a PS3 port. It will work on my PAL PS3.

so you don't think they will release it in the UK because of bad sales, but you think they would put money into porting it to the PS3..

ok yea that makes no sense, at least it IS coming, aren't there worse cases where games took much longer to get to the PAL market?

I mean I don't get it, what the fuck is it they need to do to the game to get a release there? its not like it needs much translation right? if any at all? unless they have to put french, German and all that...

lucablight said:
I'm in Australia. It isn't even out here and I can't import because the namco scum region locked it for no reason.

is there no AUS release at all? don't you guys get screwed out of a lot of games?

starsky

PseudoKirby said:
is there no AUS release at all? don't you guys get screwed out of a lot of games?

We can play any PAL version game, so even if they don't have any AUS release, can always import it from UK.

Sagitario

ZealousD said:
It's functional, it's there to show you the delay between the end of your combo and when you can start a new one. If there wasn't a short delay the game would be a fair bit easier and combos would be easier to build.

It's because of that little sword flip that I pay more attention to defense (blocking and positioning) in Vesperia than in other Tales games, and I also pay more attention to building combos and trying to keep attacking as long as I can.

It increases the difficulty without using a brute force solution like changing numbers around. Tales of Symphonia DotNW did that and it was a worse game for it.

Huh? I don't get that part...

And I still can't chain artes >__< ...

Tailzo

Release it in Australia just UK or all Europe for 360, then I would be able to play it somehow. A ps3 port would work fine too, as long as it wasn't Japan only with english text removed. I just wish ToV will not become another example of JRPG games never released in PAL format.

Wizpig

Not counting that Play.com PAL release date, there are rumors that this is not going to come out at all in Europe.
I'm not going to buy a Namco game ever again, if this is the case.

Other than that, you can read about the game on the European sections of www.xbox.com so there's still hope...

?

Tailzo

I've contacted play.com saying that I can't see the release date anywhere else, and I'm asking where they've got the date.

Sagitario

Firestorm said:
Not sure what the problem is... I had no problem with base -> arcane >_>;;

An outside of Eternia, I never had problems with any other Tales titles either... :(

I'm going to borrow a wired controller from a friend to see if that makes a difference, but seriously, this is diminishing my enjoyment of the game a lot... :_(

ZealousD

Farore said:
Huh? I don't get that part...

And I still can't chain artes >__< ...

Basically, that little delay with the visual flourish at the end makes the game more difficult without taking the easy way out of just making the boss hit harder or the player hit weaker.

That's how ToS: DotNW increased difficult, by having bosses that can routinely kill you in 2 or 3 hits. That's not fun. By having that delay, it keeps you on your toes, keeps you thinking about your positioning and your combos, but if you screw up its not fatal.

And how exactly are you having trouble chaining artes? You're doing base artes before arcane right?

Wizpig

Tailzo said:
I've contacted play.com saying that I can't see the release date anywhere else, and I'm asking where they've got the date.
Thanks.
Please post their reply as soon as you get it.

Sagitario

ZealousD said:
Basically, that little delay with the visual flourish at the end makes the game more difficult without taking the easy way out of just making the boss hit harder or the player hit weaker.

That's how ToS: DotNW increased difficult, by having bosses that can routinely kill you in 2 or 3 hits. That's not fun. By having that delay, it keeps you on your toes, keeps you thinking about your positioning and your combos, but if you screw up its not fatal.

And how exactly are you having trouble chaining artes? You're doing base artes before arcane right?

Oh... thanks for the explanation... I didn't know what you meant by that, although I didn't experience any boss battle like that in DotNW, at least nothing major or frustrating [the game is really easy] with the exception of the Twilight Palace [which is exactly what what you described].

And of course I'm doing the base arte before the arcane, this is not my first Tales -_- ...

ZealousD

Farore said:
And of course I'm doing the base arte before the arcane, this is not my first Tales -_- ...

Then I don't know what the problem is? I've been chaining just fine with a wireless controller.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Oh, Thank Christ. :lol

I 1000/1000'd the Xbox 360 version and was afraid I'd do it again for trophies. The horror.

But new costumes, I wanted new costumes.

Jiggy

Sad to say, if Namco actually did make a ToV for PS3 at some point in the future, I'd have to buy it just on principle--and I probably wouldn't even get a PS3 to go with it. :p

MotherFan

Hmm, I just had
Yuri kill Ragou
how much of the game is left?

Anyways, I think the flourish at the end makes the battles more interesting. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the combos, etc in ToS and other tales, but its good to have something just a little different than the combo mashing. The characters here are good, I love Repede's pipe, defiantly interesting skits. Anyways, is there anything I should be watching out for that I can miss?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just beat Act 2 and got myself the 150g. How long is the game's final act? These are the subquests I want to do:

-Sorcerer's Ring level 4 and 5
-Slay all the Giganto Monsters
-7 Fell Arms
-Rebuild the town

Also,
I went to the hot spring before hitting Zaude, and it was closed. Will this open now in act 3?

I have a 3 day weekend this week, so if I can play 5-6 hours a day, will I be able to beat it?

Also, how difficult is the EX dungeon? Do I need to have grinded to ridiculous levels, or is it a fairly easy 30gamerscore?

Sagitario

Well, I tried a wired controller and another wireless one and I can chain Artes with those... damn you faulty controller! >_<

Also, the timing is really different from all the other Tales: slower and less "spamerific" (or frantic if you want)... you actually have to pay more attention at the characters frames to be able to chain from Base to Arcane [and each Base has its own timing to chain the next Arte]... definitely need to get used to it now that I can do it :D ...

Item question: Do I need to get the "Drop" info of each item in the Collector's Book to count as complete? Or does the item only need to be listed?
I'm asking because I was haunting for some synthesis item, Grimoire Page, dropped by Sorceress... and I noticed that the Collector's Book didn't have that enemy listed...

Firestorm

djtiesto said:
I just beat Act 2 and got myself the 150g. How long is the game's final act? These are the subquests I want to do:

-Sorcerer's Ring level 4 and 5
-Slay all the Giganto Monsters
-7 Fell Arms
-Rebuild the town

Also,
I went to the hot spring before hitting Zaude, and it was closed. Will this open now in act 3?

I have a 3 day weekend this week, so if I can play 5-6 hours a day, will I be able to beat it?

Also, how difficult is the EX dungeon? Do I need to have grinded to ridiculous levels, or is it a fairly easy 30gamerscore?
Act 3 is definitely shorter. You don't have to grind ridiculous levels, but you will be at a ridiculous level by the end of it. It's not an easy 30 gs. It's freaking bullshit -_-

Jiggy

The EX dungeon is easy in terms of challenge to your skill level, but difficult in terms of forcing yourself through its astoundingly tedious self. :/ You'll see. Oh, will you see. :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
djtiesto said:

Like Jiggy said its not hard in terms of enemies, but patience wise its a bitch to get through.

Top Bottom