• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Farore said:
I've done A LOT of exploration, sidequests and skills grinding...

Q: Fell Arms = weapons? Like the cursed weapons of ToS and TotA?
Can you carry them over to the next playthrough? Because IIRC, you can't do that in ToS/TotA [only gels, bottles, synthesis stuff, etc.]...
With enough grade, you can carry over literally everything except maybe key items to your next playthrough. And yes, the Fell Arms are the cursed weapons. I'm pretty sure they were called Fell Arms in ToS and TotA, as well.

Sagitario

RocketDarkness said:
With enough grade, you can carry over literally everything except maybe key items to your next playthrough. And yes, the Fell Arms are the cursed weapons. I'm pretty sure they were called Fell Arms in ToS and TotA, as well.

Even the weapons? YAY!

In ToS the weapons were called Devil's Arms and in TotA the name was Catalyst Weapons...

I'm on my second playthrough trying to get all the of the sidequests and events I missed the first time around. I'm trying to trigger the scene with the blastia in Aurnion, but I can't seem to get it to happen even though I've met all the prerequisites (according the the guide I'm using).

Firestorm

Relix, you don't have to replay the game to do the sidequest. Once you finish the game just save and then open that file to go and finish off the quest. You're basically playing the game at the rate I was. Finished at 40 hours.

rykomatsu

Basileus777 said:
I'm on my second playthrough trying to get all the of the sidequests and events I missed the first time around. I'm trying to trigger the scene with the blastia in Aurnion, but I can't seem to get it to happen even though I've met all the prerequisites (according the the guide I'm using).

if you're talking about Judith's spear quest try the edit here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14632568&postcount=3656

another subevent takes priority over that, it seems

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Did they ever tell us what those special vouchers were for that were included in our NA Special Editions?

Well, I'm at the final boss.. I really want to beat this game and move on because I've spent 60 hours on it already and I have many more in my backlog.. I love Tales games but I've never been good at their combat and combo systems, so some boss fights end up being insanely hard for me and frustrate me to the point that I lose interest in playing..

If I can't beat the boss in a few more tries, I think I might just youtube the ending video and be done with it.

I feel like it should be easier than this at lv 62... but I only have one mystic arte that isn't all that impressive and I didn't bother with the fell arms.

rykomatsu

Robobandit said:
Well, I'm at the final boss.. I really want to beat this game and move on because I've spent 60 hours on it already and I have many more in my backlog.. I love Tales games but I've never been good at their combat and combo systems, so some boss fights end up being insanely hard for me and frustrate me to the point that I lose interest in playing..

If I can't beat the boss in a few more tries, I think I might just youtube the ending video and be done with it.

I feel like it should be easier than this at lv 62... but I only have one mystic arte that isn't all that impressive and I didn't bother with the fell arms.

Estelle + Risky Ring + Support Eternal + Force Field spam (can spam with OVL3+ or just spam cast it slowly without OVL).

Firestorm

Mejilan said:
Did they ever tell us what those special vouchers were for that were included in our NA Special Editions?
I have a feeling it's going to be Volume 2 of the soundtrack... which I already ordered on Tales Brigade.

Robobandit said:

Who's your party? Every time you get an overlimit (or just use the bottle), switch to Rita, spam a spell. I like the dark spell which I forgot the name of. I can't believe I forgot the name considering how many times I used it.

Firestorm said:
I have a feeling it's going to be Volume 2 of the soundtrack... which I already ordered on Tales Brigade.

Who's your party? Every time you get an overlimit (or just use the bottle), switch to Rita, spam a spell. I like the dark spell which I forgot the name of. I can't believe I forgot the name considering how many times I used it.

Party is Yuri, Estelle, Rita and Raven

Do I set Rita's AI to use OVL 3 and then command her to cast spells? I didn't think you could take direct control over another character to make them do a mystic arte or something. If you can, then I've never done it in my 60 hours of playing lol

MotherFan

Robobandit said:

Do I set Rita's AI to use OVL 3 and then command her to cast spells? I didn't think you could take direct control over another character to make them do a mystic arte or something. If you can, then I've never done it in my 60 hours of playing lol

Ya, you just bring up the menu and press start and you switch characters (this is in battle). And with the right skills you can pretty much have rita casting spells indefinatly and in rapid fire. She is very very broken like this.

Edit: You have to have synthed the right item to switch, I forget the name.

BitchTits

Manaka said:
Much like a PAL release ...
Is this ever coming out here? I haven't bought Infinite Undiscovery or The Last Remnant but I do want Vesperia ;_;

Sometimes I just don't understand region-locking.

Coxswain

Robobandit said:

Set her AI to use level 1 Overlimits (she'll pretty much be in constant overlimit all by herself that way) and then disable any of her spells that knock the enemy down (it's easier for an enemy to break stunlock if they get downed) - I tend to stick with Violent Pain, Bloody Howling, or even Fireball if you've used it enough times, basically anything that will hit fast enough and enough times that she's constantly keeping the enemy too stunned to do anything - and then just wail on her with the longest combos you can make Yuri do, although again you should try to avoid knocking him down.

It's cheesy as hell, but you can take down pretty much every boss in the game like that, even on Unknown, and apart from a few scattered attacks, the only thing they can really even hit you with are their Mystic Artes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MegaKungFuRadio said:
ffffff! I accidentally bought the Lv. UP + 10 item trying to look at what it was! I feel dirty now...

o_O

matmanx1

I didnt have much problem with the final boss with Yuri, Estelle, Rita and Karol. He likes to inflict a ton of status effects but I had Karol's Nice Recovery Smash mapped and used it to good effect. I wasnt interested in a 2nd play through so I only got 5 of the Fell Arms and didnt have to deal with the final form. Great game though.

Pankaks said:

I'll elaborate since I'm terrible at interpreting emoticon responses sometimes.

Basically I like to mess around with the guide button menu a lot and they put game related DLC on the Games blade now, which in Vesperia's case is the DLC item that boosts your characters 10 levels for 300 points (or $3.75). So I'm trying to type on my computer while navigating the menus with my left hand, so as I reach over to hit B, I accidentally hit A, and since I had 400 points left over, it went ahead and purchased with no confirmation and now I'm sad.

On a side note, today was the first time I checked out the DLC for Vesperia and find it hilarious that they provide level ups, synthesis materials, healing items, and character skills for money. I didn't realize I was playing a microtransaction based MMO. I mean for a single player game like this, I guess it's fine, but still, I feel dirty for having accidentally purchased the level ups (even though I didn't actually use it... yet.).

matmanx1

Yeah there was alot of bitching about that when the game first launched in certain circles. It's not like the game is overly difficult without all that extra help. I just pretend that stuff doesnt exist although I wouldnt begruge anyone who wanted to take advantage of some of it.

RetroMG

I'll admit, my wife and I bought some of them when we were on our first run through the game. It's my wife's first RPG, and she hadn't quite caught on to "sometimes you just have to be patient and go level" yet.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MegaKungFuRadio said:
I'll elaborate since I'm terrible at interpreting emoticon responses sometimes.

Basically I like to mess around with the guide button menu a lot and they put game related DLC on the Games blade now, which in Vesperia's case is the DLC item that boosts your characters 10 levels for 300 points (or $3.75). So I'm trying to type on my computer while navigating the menus with my left hand, so as I reach over to hit B, I accidentally hit A, and since I had 400 points left over, it went ahead and purchased with no confirmation and now I'm sad.

On a side note, today was the first time I checked out the DLC for Vesperia and find it hilarious that they provide level ups, synthesis materials, healing items, and character skills for money. I didn't realize I was playing a microtransaction based MMO. I mean for a single player game like this, I guess it's fine, but still, I feel dirty for having accidentally purchased the level ups (even though I didn't actually use it... yet.).

Ah I see, I opened the guide button just now and saw the "Level up 10(1)" at the bottom.

Synless

Someone please tell me why the bosses are so fucking hard in this game. I just beat this Wolf thing in a forest at level 19. All I could do against him is kill his little offspring first to get rid of his barrier and then continuously heal and revive my characters because he'd kill them in like 3 hits. I must have lost like 3 times fighting him, also it wasn't like I was under leveled because it would take forever just to level up getting a pitiful 50ish xp each fight and sometimes getting 100 xp. Am I missing something here on how to play this game?

Manaka

BitchTits said:
Is this ever coming out here? I haven't bought Infinite Undiscovery or The Last Remnant but I do want Vesperia ;_;

Sometimes I just don't understand region-locking.

Atari's reply to emails asking about a pal release stated that they have no plans to localize it - but in recent emails to Namco-Bandai they replied that Vesperia and Dawn of the new World both will be released in the second half of 2009! (maybe it's another company than Atari?)

At least it will be released...even if it'a year later ^^

Pancakes

Synless said:
Someone please tell me why the bosses are so fucking hard in this game. I just beat this Wolf thing in a forest at level 19. All I could do against him is kill his little offspring first to get rid of his barrier and then continuously heal and revive my characters because he'd kill them in like 3 hits. I must have lost like 3 times fighting him, also it wasn't like I was under leveled because it would take forever just to level up getting a pitiful 50ish xp each fight and sometimes getting 100 xp. Am I missing something here on how to play this game?

The difficulty ramps up on this fight for some reason. The rest of the game won't do it thought, I set it to easy the first time I went up against this guy aswell.

Synless

Pankaks said:
The difficulty ramps up on this fight for some reason. The rest of the game won't do it thought, I set it to easy the first time I went up against this guy aswell.
I beat him without changing the difficulty (I didn't know I could even do that), but man was he hard. I was thinking to myself if all the boss fights were like this I would be pretty pissed because I was sure I was at a pretty decent level to beat him. So it stays pretty consistent after that with the boss fights being pretty good with your lvl?

Coxswain

Gattuso is kind of an anomaly. The first time through he's a total bitch, for pretty much everybody. By the time I was good enough to play the game on Unknown though (without carrying over super-powerful equipment and 10x exp; otherwise Unknown is nothing special), he pretty much fit perfectly into the game's difficulty curve.
The hardest part is killing off the pups. After that, you just need to dodge around him until another party member (probably Rita) hits him with something that puts him in a stun animation; then you're free to wail on him as long as you can keep that combo going. Knock him down if you need to buy a bit of time to heal or whatever.

But really, the first time through, you're probably better off just dropping the difficulty for that fight if you're having a tough time with it. You don't get penalized for it, and you'll have plenty of opportunity to fight similar enemies later in the game, or you can replay if you just want to prove you can do it.

Gattuso is the most jarring jump in difficulty, but in general a lot of the bosses in this game are somewhat harder than the normal enemies you fight leading up to them would have you believe.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Gattuso took me about 35 tries.

I had to play around with the strategies so it helped me for later in the game, it was very satisfying though to finally beat him with the strategy I had created.

Finally beat this game a few minutes ago.

Was a great game.. from a quality standpoint, I'd definitely put it at the top of the heap for the franchise.

I enjoyed symphonia more overall, as I really had more time to get into the game.. with that one I was playing 8 hrs a day for a week until I beat it.

It is harder to get sucked into long rpgs when you only have a few hours a night at best to play.

Vesperia is definitely the best tales game in my mind, though.. even though I was ready for it to be over by the end.. 60 hours is long enough for any game to last, I think :)

thanks for the rita overlimit tip.. it was really helpful.

Manaka said:
Atari's reply to emails asking about a pal release stated that they have no plans to localize it - but in recent emails to Namco-Bandai they replied that Vesperia and Dawn of the new World both will be released in the second half of 2009! (maybe it's another company than Atari?)

At least it will be released...even if it'a year later ^^

Yeah, they said the same to me.
Could we get this put in the OP (that Namco have recently stated a date of 2nd half of 2009)?

matmanx1 said:
Yeah there was alot of bitching about that when the game first launched in certain circles. It's not like the game is overly difficult without all that extra help. I just pretend that stuff doesnt exist although I wouldnt begruge anyone who wanted to take advantage of some of it.

I can imagine... After I posted about it, I realized I may have been reviving a shitstorm... glad that didn't happen.

Synless said:

I've read a few times that that boss in particular was extremely difficult. The fact that it only took you 4 tries shouldn't make you feel bad, since I think I took nearly 10, and I also began to think I was doing something wrong. The bosses in general are pretty tough without constant micromanaging. Later in the game you'll have longer combos, the ability to switch character control on the relative fly, and one or two more combat mechanics that are revealed later, so it does get easier. I'm at the end of the game now and I'm pretty impressed with how the the combat eventually fleshed out. It's deep enough that there are options that I don't even really use. I don't switch characters a lot since I'm so used to Yuri that the other characters feel far too different for me to be effective, but can usually get bosses on the first try now with liberal item usage.

Synless

I think I've encountered a really annoying glitch. My TP is draining by just doing regular attacks, at first I thought it was a TP draining ability that was doing to so I unequiped it....it was still doing it so I checked my weapons, no luck so finally I got pissed and unequiped all abilities and equiped the first weapons I had in the game to see if it would still do it and guess what? It is. WTF is going on and why won't it stop.

Duke's third form on hard is a pain in the ass. Brave Vesperia heals him 300k and I basically ran out of healing/TP items. But I managed to beat him by spamming limit bottles + mystic arts.

Synless said:
I think I've encountered a really annoying glitch. My TP is draining by just doing regular attacks, at first I thought it was a TP draining ability that was doing to so I unequiped it....it was still doing it so I checked my weapons, no luck so finally I got pissed and unequiped all abilities and equiped the first weapons I had in the game to see if it would still do it and guess what? It is. WTF is going on and why won't it stop.

That's odd. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is rise attack or perfect magic.

Firestorm

Synless said:
An accessory maybe? Or maybe a status effect? Try staying at an inn.

alexel

Basileus777 said:
Duke's third form on hard is a pain in the ass. Brave Vesperia heals him 300k and I basically ran out of healing/TP items. But I managed to beat him by spamming limit bottles + mystic arts.

That's odd. The only thing I can think of that would cause that is rise attack or perfect magic.

rise attack would be my guess too.

Synless

Basileus777 said:

It's not rise attack because I've unequiped it, I equiped all my default armor/acc/weapons everything from the beginning of the game, stayed at an inn twice, it won't stop. I'm serious I think it's glitching.

Pancakes

Quick question: Is there anyway to get all the skits to play again during New Game+? I'm trying to get all the achievements and replaying the game gets pretty dull without them:/.

Pankaks said:
Quick question: Is there anyway to get all the skits to play again during New Game+? I'm trying to get all the achievements and replaying the game gets pretty dull without them:/.

I believe if you don't carry over your records from the grade shop you can still see them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So what's the longest combo anybody ever got without Tidal Wave spamming?

I manged to get a 210 combo on a Giganto monster using a long ass Shining Fang chain (Shining Fang-> Shining Fang Drop-> Shining Dragon Swarm-> Shining Fang-> ...)

Pancakes

Basileus777 said:
I believe if you don't carry over your records from the grade shop you can still see them.

It worked, thanks man. :D

Top Bottom