• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Zzoram

Ok so my 360 still has some life left before it goes in the coffin.

I'm lvl 54, and I'm:

Estelle just got taken by Alexei and I'm chasing them into some Baction temple or something. Am I at an appropriate level? Did I ruin my chance to get some achievements? I wasn't sure when to start side questing and I haven't really yet. I don't even know how to get them, except this one messenger one I got for a book but I forgot where to take it and it's not in my synopsis log in-game.

Zzoram

Papercuts said:
It's really easy to miss an extremely small area of the map, but the area unrevealed is so small it's pretty much impossible to see where it's at. You should eventually get it randomly flying around.

I finally got it. I just elastic banded my airship while I ate dinner and it unlocked.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Farore said:
After mastering all the recipes with Yuri, I'm ready to enter Tarqaron :D (I wanted to clear the sidequests available so far before the final dungeon), thankfully to get the cooking titles you only need to do it with one character this time [I hated that you had to master all the recipes with each party member in the previous titles because I always leave the cooking for the last :p]...

Q: My party is around level 85... is that enough to beat the 3rd form?

*sigh* I still need to get all those cooking titles and repede's big boss title. Currently at 900/1000.

Firestorm

Zzoram said:
Ok so my 360 still has some life left before it goes in the coffin.

I'm lvl 54, and I'm:

Estelle just got taken by Alexei and I'm chasing them into some Baction temple or something. Am I at an appropriate level? Did I ruin my chance to get some achievements? I wasn't sure when to start side questing and I haven't really yet. I don't even know how to get them, except this one messenger one I got for a book but I forgot where to take it and it's not in my synopsis log in-game.
You're only like halfway through Part 2 and you're the same level as you were when I beat the game on Normal. Are you playing through on Unknown or something?

Zzoram

Firestorm said:
You're only like halfway through Part 2 and you're the same level as you were when I beat the game on Normal. Are you playing through on Unknown or something?

I'm on Normal, 56 hours in my first play through. I may have overdone the grinding :lol

I still don't have all the weapons crafted and skills learned yet. I'm also pretty sure I forgot to Magic Lens all of Zagi's forms in my first couple encounters.

Tales of Vesperia se pondrá a la venta en Junio
Actualizado: Vendrá subtitulado en español y con audio en inglés y japonés.
heineken-walk-in-fridge.jpg

It'd probably be better for me to wait for something else than an anonymous website asking Atari and receiving such confirmation, but damn if true.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2009/1/heineken-walk-in-fridge.jpg

It'd probably be better for me to wait for something else than an anonymous website asking Atari and receiving such confirmation, but damn if true.

Off topic but I fucking love that commercial :lol .

Sagitario

Pankaks said:
*sigh* I still need to get all those cooking titles and repede's big boss title. Currently at 900/1000.

I'm missing a tiny part of the dog map >_<... damn blue flashing areas overlapping each other...

Zzoram

Farore said:
I'm missing a tiny part of the dog map >_<... damn blue flashing areas overlapping each other...

Is the dog map really late in the game? I don't have that ability yet.

Also, what is the max level for each recipe? I've just been cooking them until 3 stars but I don't know if that is maxed.

Also, is there a guide for recipe locations?

Pancakes

Sagitario

Got the 95% of the dog map: in the first continent, there are some small [really small] roads that are independent of the zone they're part of: Peyoccia Plains - Northern trails, Peyoccia Plains - Southern trails and Peyoccia plains - Western trails...

Now, to Tarqaron [to get synthesis items :p]!!!

Q: Does Tarqaron disappear after beating the games [as you can continue doing post game content without starting a new file+, unlike the other Tales]?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hey folks, perhaps the ToV special bonus code that came with our 360 LEs will apply to the PS3 version instead! :lol

I can't believe they never fucking did anything with that... :/

Pancakes

Farore said:
Got the 95% of the dog map: in the first continent, there are some small [really small] roads that are independent of the zone they're part of: Peyoccia Plains - Northern trails, Peyoccia Plains - Southern trails and Peyoccia plains - Western trails...

Now, to Tarqaron [to get synthesis items :p]!!!

Q: Does
Tarqaron
disappear after beating the games [as you can continue doing post game content without starting a new file+, unlike the other Tales]?

No, it stays there and Aspio does not come back

rykomatsu

Mejilan said:
Hey folks, perhaps the ToV special bonus code that came with our 360 LEs will apply to the PS3 version instead! :lol

I can't believe they never fucking did anything with that... :/

The bonus code will probably allow you to download ToV movie preview from a website a week before trailer is released on PSN or XBL or something along those lines :lol

Tailzo

^Interesting, I kinda got the feeling she was just thrown in at first. + I don't like her look, so I wasn't sure if the extra content on ps3 would be any interesting.

Tamanon

Banned
I gotta think that Symphonia was probably the only Tales game with a little kid character that I could stand. Genis was awesome.

Pancakes

I could use a bit help on this side quest. I've completed the dog map 100% but I can't get the dog in Aurnion or Zaphias to spawn.

Should I let little wolf get back 15% of the land and then try again?

rykomatsu

Pankaks said:
I could use a bit help on this side quest. I've completed the dog map 100% but I can't get the dog in Aurnion or Zaphias to spawn.

Should I let little wolf get back 15% of the land and then try again?

The first or second Zaphias subevent?

If it's the first one, you may have another subevent series that's overriding it...the Mister Clay (i think?) series of subquests sounds like a potential culprit...there's an NPC that spawns at a bench nearby the vendor where the dog map NPC spawns....try seeing if the Mister Clay related NPC is there...if she is, clear that sub event and see if you can get the dog to spawn afterwards.

If it's the second Zaphias subevent and Aurnion, you need to goto Dungarest first I believe.

Pancakes

rykomatsu said:
The first or second Zaphias subevent?

If it's the first one, you may have another subevent series that's overriding it...the Mister Clay (i think?) series of subquests sounds like a potential culprit...there's an NPC that spawns at a bench nearby the vendor where the dog map NPC spawns....try seeing if the Mister Clay related NPC is there...if she is, clear that sub event and see if you can get the dog to spawn afterwards.

If it's the second Zaphias subevent and Aurnion, you need to goto Dungarest first I believe.

Thanks man, I just needed to visit Danghrest .

someone mentioned that if you dont like tales of abyss or legendia you wont like tales of vesperia - well he/she's right. i didnt like tales of abyss and legendia why did i bother to try tales of vesperia? :/
i played for 4-5 hrs before i took it back to store.

AkuMifune

Banned
Well I didn't really like those either but I'm having alot of fun with Vesperia right now. I guess it's more of the art style and the story though because it's safe to say I'll never like real-time battle in my JRPG's. Ever. Strange to me how so many fans and reviewers love the battle system here because its just garbage to me. Luckily I can turn Yuri to auto, the difficulty to easy and just watch that crap happen in-between my fun exploring an anime watching. :D

Sagitario

Finally finished Tarqaron last night... the 3rd form wasn't that bad, he only used
Brave Vesperia
once :p ...

EX Dungeon, here I come :D ...

HalfwayOrb said:
someone mentioned that if you dont like tales of abyss or legendia you wont like tales of vesperia - well he/she's right. i didnt like tales of abyss and legendia why did i bother to try tales of vesperia? :/
i played for 4-5 hrs before i took it back to store.

If you have a history of not liking the series, there is a small chance of that changing with a title that doesn't really evolve or alternate the main structure or presentation of Tales...
You didn't like it because of the combat/battles, game setting/structure or because the story/characters?
Vesperia and Abyss have a lot of battle stuff and main settings/structure in common, everything else, not so much...
Legendia is not even in the same league [even though I really liked it]...

AkuMifune said:
Well I didn't really like those either but I'm having alot of fun with Vesperia right now. I guess it's more of the art style and the story though because it's safe to say I'll never like real-time battle in my JRPG's. Ever. Strange to me how so many fans and reviewers love the battle system here because its just garbage to me. Luckily I can turn Yuri to auto, the difficulty to easy and just watch that crap happen in-between my fun exploring an anime watching. :D

WOW! I feel exactly and completely the opposite way! To each his own! :D

Victrix

*beard*
This game is so much fun with a buddy. Having a friend play a mage and actually be able to use all the hilariously overpowered spell combos rocks :D

After letting this game sit on my shelf for months, I finally tossed it in. Seems really fun, although I don't like the combat much. I'm sure it'll grow on me eventually, I've never liked a Tales game enough to actually learn the combat system. But this game passes that mark. Yuri is a great character, and if this game is going to be him versus the world of RPG stupidity, then I'm all for it.

My complaint though, is that this game looks ugly as hell. I've only just gotten out of the castle, but it just does not look good. The environments are flat and lifeless and everything feels like it has a fuzz about it, like it's faking the HD. The animations are nice, or at least nicer compared to everything else. Also why the fuck do the faces have no definition? Their noses just sink into their faces and disappear, it looks really bizarre.

It's saying something when I look forward to the Personal Actions or whatever Tales calls them because the animated faces look 300x better than in-game.

Pancakes

FINALLY! I maxed out Tales of Vesperia :D.

Fuckingfinally.jpg

And it only took me a grand total of...
Clockinginat.jpg

:lol :lol

Definitely one of the best games I've played in a long time. I just hope Graces will provide a similar experience.

Pancakes

Jonsoncao said:
wow congrats

how many playthroughs?

I think I played it through about 7 times including this last one.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just started this yesterday. I played DotNW first because Vesperia is regarded by everyone and their dogs as such a better game that I thought it would be hard to play then in reverse. I tried playing the demo with my brother sometime ago and it fucking sucked, so I was delaying my playthrough because of that.

Anyway, gameplay. I was having some trouble during the first hour as I felt it to be a little... I don't know, "floaty". I used to dodge enemy attacks in DotNW and Abyss by just free running and I was not managing to do so here. Also, is there a big lag after the end of the full combo? Yuri was taking a long time to defend and I was getting hit a lot by groups of enemies. For now I dislike the kind of attack he does during free running too, I wish he would start the normal combo instead of that (I'll probably change my mind later when I find some use to this). At the prison/castle part I was having this kind of trouble with the movements (even died once against Zagi) but I just got the backstep, met Karol at the forest and I'm getting used to the differences little by little since I got to the world map. The battles are way more fun now.

Random stuff:

-lol at the framerate during the skits.
-game is so pretty.
-liked the opening and the vocal song.
-it's so damn good to have Yuri as a main character after playing with Emil for so long.

Llyranor

The free running attack is nice, since it seems to have higher chances of stunning enemies, and also can sweep multiple of them at a time.

I actually like the 'lag' between actions. Makes you think a bit more about when to attack and when to block/run, perhaps less emphasis on spamming attacks.

Fuu

Llyranor said:
The free running attack is nice, since it seems to have higher chances of stunning enemies, and also can sweep multiple of them at a time.

I actually like the 'lag' between actions. Makes you think a bit more about when to attack and when to block/run, perhaps less emphasis on spamming attacks.
Good to know. It's just that I always change targets with RB but if it does sweep more enemies and may stun I'll try using it more.

I found the lag weird at first but I'm getting used to it, it's more of a matter of changing the way I play to adapt. Can't wait to get more artes and skills.

Fuu

Much more useful than I first thought then. Will try it more the next time I play.

I really liked that the weapons have skills you can learn, makes me look forward to new shops more than if the weapons only had numbered stats and/or some elemental attack.

Another random thing, when Yuri threw rocks and the guards passed out it was ridiculous, but then a guard in front of a gate after you escape from the prison comments about that, says it was pathetic, that their armors are really thin and cheap and laments they're not provided with better ones. Nice touch.

And those tutorial guards Adecor and Boccos = Chrono Cross total, haha.

The world map is so smooth, with quick load times for battles (game installed, don't know how it is otherwise). Love it.

Is the OST supposed to be weak? I like most of the music so far.

Top Bottom