• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

kswiston

Picked up Vesperia from Ebay for $40 after failing to find any used or new copies in my tow. Right now I am about 25 hours into the game.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. After suffering through 40 hours of Edge in Star Ocean 4, Yuri is a breath of fresh air as far as main characters go. I actually really like his character which is getting rarer and rarer for main characters in jrpgs these days. In fact, none of the characters annoy me, not even Karol.

The story is a little padded so far, but still done pretty well. I'm intrigued to learn more about the characters and to see where the plot goes. That's about all I can ask for in an rpg.

The game play is really fun. I don't feel as though I have mastered all of the battle sub-systems yet, but I am getting there. Item synthesis is done well, and while I haven't played around with the skill system as much as I should, it seems to offer a lot of variety.

Just FINALLY figured out the benefits of cooking (must have skipped the tutorials about being able to set up shortcuts and cook after every battle). I plan on getting into cooking a little more from this point on. Previously, I have largely ignored it.

So far I give the game a solid 8.5 out of 10. We'll see how the second half of the game holds up.

I have a bunch of tales games in the backlog, but this is the only one besides Tales of Destiny that I have actually played. Production value-wise how do the other games compare? I believe I have all the US releases except the Symphonia spin-off, Legendia, and the Phantasia GBA port.

Firestorm

This is the best as far as production values goes and the battle system is the most refined. You could try out Tales of the Abyss (although protagonist is annoying for first couple of hours) and Tales of Symphonia as those two have the most in common with Vesperia.

Mamesj

Banned
Got pretty hooked to this over the weekend and made it to Dahngrest. the battle system is just insanely fun. Does it get harder though? I feel like I'm getting all these cool tactical skills, but that I don't really need much more than normal slashes and base artes.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mamesj said:
Got pretty hooked to this over the weekend and made it to Dahngrest. the battle system is just insanely fun. Does it get harder though? I feel like I'm getting all these cool tactical skills, but that I don't really need much more than normal slashes and base artes.

You can increase the difficulty in the options if you want.

Firestorm

Yeah if you're battling a lot you might be a little overlevelled. The only real difficulty spike in the game is against the third boss. You can increase and decrease the difficulty in the options at any time.

Mamesj

Banned
durp, never noticed that. I'll try it out tonight. and yeah, with the amount of battles I fought to grind synthesis materials, I'm probably overlevelled.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm confused about how the Collector's Book works. For instance, the Grimoire Page (synthesis material):

On my C. Book it shows

Drop by:
Witch
?
?

However, I also had it dropped by Druid and Ail (more than once) and both have their Magic Lens info showing in the Monster Book already with the Grimoire Page listed with their other drops. How do I make them two to appear in the Grimoire Page's C. Book drop list along with the Witch? I'd think that having the enemy analyzed and having the item drop from them would be enough but it wasn't.

Sagitario

There are other enemies that drop the item and those "?" spots are reserved for those enemies...

Funny thing, the same inquiry happened to me [with the same item and the same enemy] :p ...

*still prefers oooooooold avatar*

Fuu

Same item and enemy? What are the chances, I should have searched the thread then, haha.

Thanks for the info. Weird that it works like that, would be more useful if it listed every enemy.

Ashour

I just hope when (if) hey release this game for the PS3 in NA that they include trophies other wise I'll get it used for the 360.

Paracelsus

Ashour said:
I just hope when (if) hey release this game for the PS3 in NA that they include trophies other wise I'll get it used for the 360.

Trophies are mandatory starting from March 2009 (there's no need to prove it, the last games without trophies are February ones). The problem is the bolded part.

Ugh. I played the demo yesterday and I didn't like it AT ALL.

Symphonia is one of my favorite Cube-games but this... Is this because it's a bad demo from a bad section of the game, or have I changed?

Fuu

Notorious_Roy said:

Symphonia is one of my favorite Cube-games but this... Is this because it's a bad demo from a bad section of the game, or have I changed?
If you like Symphonia make sure to grab Vesperia.

The demo sucks, ignore it. Made me delay my playing of the game and I regret it.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
bakemono said:
EuropeGAF, have they released the game in the PAL version yet or is it really bound for June? I need to know, thanks.

26 june is the last known date. After all this time waiting, this game better be good :lol

Ashour

Paracelsus said:
Trophies are mandatory starting from March 2009 (there's no need to prove it, the last games without trophies are February ones). The problem is the bolded part.

True, but what if the sneaky bastards at Namco Bandai submitted the game for approval December of last year, they could release it without trophies and we all know how they love to cut corners in their games.

But as you said the real problem is if it ever comes to NA.

Crystalkoen

Pankaks said:
Rita is voiced by the the same person as Bleach's Rukia dub. :O

As well as Yukari from Persona 3. THAT really freaked me out a tad when I started playing ToV, I'm like "Where've I heard that voice bef... oh!"

Papercuts said:
Also, anyone have tips for the Treasure Hunter title? I have to be damn close to 86%, I've backtracked through the majority of the dungeons just to see nothing but opened chests and the occasionally lucky search spot for an item.

I actually had a hard time of that myself.
Ended up starting in Zaphias and hitting every town and dungeon on the way North. Turned out that I missed about 9 treasures in Zaphias Castle while there the second trip in, 1 at the very beginning of the underground portion of Shaikos, and don't forget to go back to the end of Shaikos after Tarqaron appears, there's 3-5 beyond that gate that was sealed, and 3 hidden items in the grass by the Magistrate's place on the way to the dock in Capua Nor.
After hitting up all those, plus the revisits to places with burnable/breakable stuff after Sorc Ring Lv 4+ (
Keiv Moc, Relewiese Hollow, Blade Drifts of Zophier, Shrine of Baction, Quoi Woods
), I managed to get the title. Obviously, your own milage on that may vary, it may've just been that I sucked and missed more than I should've earlier in the game. Hell, it took 4 play-throughs for me to finally get Dark Enforcer for Yuri, because I kept missing the very first event and not remembering until too late. >.>

Figured out my problem with the Dog Map, too. Just let the other guy take the whole map, then proceed to wipe out all the Red spots. Easy as pie.

EDIT: Would be nice to see an append disc style of setup on the 360 for the "extra" content coming to the PS3. Maybe patch it in or something, thanks to the wonders of a HDD and all.

Yazus

Kandrick said:
26 june is the last known date. After all this time waiting, this game better be good :lol

Awesome. I'm going to pick up my PAL copy of Star Ocean 4 the 4th of June and play the shit out of it till the 26 of June, where I'll start Vesperia. Everything according to the plan...

Jiggy

Notorious_Roy said:

Symphonia is one of my favorite games period, but Vesperia demolishes it. With that said, three things:

1) The attack timing for every non-mage in ToS is more immediately understandable than any character in ToV--it's not such a jump-in-and-play game, but needs adjustment time. You won't figure out various things like attacks that force a stand from a downed enemy in a short timeframe, either. Also, in Symphonia every battle mechanic except magic guard and unison attacks is available right at the start while Vesperia has quite a number of them not available by that part of the game. Finally, the jumping in ToV is kind of useless for characters who aren't Judith and to a lesser extent Repede--a sharp contrast coming straight out of ToS, where jumping had amazing mobility for everybody.

2) I haven't played the demo as a demo, but knowing where it takes place, they basically shoved you into the area which plays the game's worst theme time and again (that awful, hollow imitation circus music) and which ends with the game's most disproportionately difficult mandatory boss by far.

3) Music. This is a more subjective one and I'm sure some people would disagree, but Vesperia has a very, very small number of themes that I really like listening to in context and that's really disappointing compared to every other Tales game I've played (Phantasia, Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Dawn). Don't expect much on the audio front... Still, even though I completely value game soundtracks and ToV's music just doesn't do it for me, the gameplay is an amazing step forward once you get used to it.

So basically, you can safely ignore the area, while the battle system is fantastic but needs time to get used to and to develop. I can't make excuses for the music, but I don't have to--the gameplay compensates to a ridiculous extent. Never played a game I enjoyed more, may never do so again!

Sagitario

Papercuts said:
Also, anyone have tips for the Treasure Hunter title? I have to be damn close to 86%, I've backtracked through the majority of the dungeons just to see nothing but opened chests and the occasionally lucky search spot for an item.

You need to finish the last dungeon
Tarqaron
: go up to the last save point before the boss, then go back the entrance using an alternate route [the route where you find the last Fell Arms]...

Edit: Also, the is one easy to miss item spot in the last dungeon, go near the flowerpots in the pinball room...
Seriously, the last dungeon is practically the last 15%...

Jiggy said:
Symphonia is one of my favorite games period, but Vesperia demolishes it. With that said, three things:

1) The attack timing for every non-mage in ToS is more immediately understandable than any character in ToV--it's not such a jump-in-and-play game, but needs adjustment time. You won't figure out various things like attacks that force a stand from a downed enemy in a short timeframe, either. Also, in Symphonia every battle mechanic except magic guard and unison attacks is available right at the start while Vesperia has quite a number of them not available by that part of the game. Finally, the jumping in ToV is kind of useless for characters who aren't Judith and to a lesser extent Repede--a sharp contrast coming straight out of ToS, where jumping had amazing mobility for everybody.

2) I haven't played the demo as a demo, but knowing where it takes place, they basically shoved you into the area which plays the game's worst theme time and again (that awful, hollow imitation circus music) and which ends with the game's most disproportionately difficult mandatory boss by far.

3) Music. This is a more subjective one and I'm sure some people would disagree, but Vesperia has a very, very small number of themes that I really like listening to in context and that's really disappointing compared to every other Tales game I've played (Phantasia, Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Dawn). Don't expect much on the audio front... Still, even though I completely value game soundtracks and ToV's music just doesn't do it for me, the gameplay is an amazing step forward once you get used to it.

So basically, you can safely ignore the area, while the battle system is fantastic but needs time to get used to and to develop. I can't make excuses for the music, but I don't have to--the gameplay compensates to a ridiculous extent. Never played a game I enjoyed more, may never do so again!
Okay, I'll go buy the game when it comes out then. Thank you :D

Firestorm

I got the Tales 10th Anniversary Soundtrack Volume 3 from Tales Brigade today. I remember it said Volume 2 but I guess they changed it to Volume 3? Volume 2 must be exclusive to those who use the code that comes with Tales of Vesperia Special Edition. Guess I won't be getting two Volume 2s after all =)

1252x3o.jpg

Tracklist is:

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
1. Knight of Ratatosk
2. With Courage
3. Won the Battle
4. Raising a Curtain
5. Standing the Pain
6. Like a Glint of Light
7. Lloyd ~ Ocarina Version
8. I'll Go
9. The Wilderness of Sadness

Tales of the Abyss
10. Happiness in my Hand

Tales of Vesperia
11. Drifting Ancient Civilization
12. Carefree Journey
13. Time of Elegance
14. Indomitable Spirit
15. Beyond the Hills
16. Brilliant Scholars
17. A Welcomed Turn of Events
18. Aim for the Top
19. Brooding Omen
20. Absolute Victory!
21. Around the World

Fuu

Repede's Overdrive Warrior attachment = :lol

Is there a place where I can check my current grade? I remember reading it was somewhere at the coliseum but I couldn't find it.

Edit:
Cow kid at Nam Cobanda Isle
. I have no idea why I thought it was at the coliseum. :p

Vorador

Banned
WTF is Scamco europe thinking?

I just received this mail from mi preorder for the PAL version in amazon:

Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360)" [Video Game]
Estimated arrival date: September 02 2009 - September 09 2009

e580dda6.gif

EDIT: All is safe, it was a fuck up of the mail notification. Date of release is June 1, 2009.

Vorador said:

e580dda6.gif
That's weird, reviewcopies are already in possession of several gaming sites.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Vorador said:

e580dda6.gif

you have got to be shitting me, please let this be a freak error .

Neil

Well that is weird because Amazon sent me this:

The items listed below will actually be dispatched sooner than we had originally expected based on the new release date:

"Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360)" [Video Game]
Estimated arrival date: June 02 2009 - June 03 2009

Vorador

Banned
Neil said:
Well that is weird because Amazon sent me this:

The items listed below will actually be dispatched sooner than we had originally expected based on the new release date:

"Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360)" [Video Game]
Estimated arrival date: June 02 2009 - June 03 2009

How strange, i've checked up my order and now it marks your date.

Maybe a fuck up on their part? Well thank god it was just a fluke.

Yazus

Vorador said:

e580dda6.gif

Oh fuck tell me your fucking bullshitting me.

I already preordered and the date was around 25 of June

Neil

I'm sure it's still 26th June.
I don't know what Amazon is playing at.
Although it would be nice if it came out on the 1st, but that's a Monday. So doesn't make much sense!

Case said:
I just got the game for 30 bucks :D
I'm a about 7 hours in and loving every minute of it so far.

Same here! $27 bucks at Gamestop 2 days ago. MAN is this game great! I'm just coming off Infinite Unidscovery and Star Ocean, and ToV is superior in every way. I described it to a friend as "Generic Anime: The RPG" ... that sounds bad, but I actually really like it for that reason.

Official releasedates in Europe are on Fridays. So no june 1st. Amazon must be having some intern doint the releasedates.

June 26th it is. Right after my final exam for this year! :D

Link1110

I'm playing through the game now, despite having owned it since September. I for like 9 hours in, got to some forest dungedon with logs I couldn't find my way through, got busy with school, and put it down. I want to get through, though because I hear it gets really good, and I'm a Tales fanboy. In fact, I may do a "Tales Catch-up" thread on all the ones I didn't get to finish in 2008-2009 (ToDdc, TotW:RM, ToI, ToV, ToSWii, ToH, TotW:RM2.)

I'm too lazy to check now (and don't own the Japanese version of ToV,) but to the Team Symphonia games in Japan have the auto text advancement option like Destiny's do? If so, why do they insist on taking it out of the US versions?

Wizpig

I never asked this, but since Vesperia is my most-most-most-wanted for 360 i'd like to 100% the Achievements... are there 1000 points or more?
Are the Achievements fun to do or horrible like Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata?
Are they easy? any missable ones? [no spoilers, of course, thanks :D]

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Wizpig said:
I never asked this, but since Vesperia is my most-most-most-wanted for 360 i'd like to 100% the Achievements... are there 1000 points or more?

Alot are missable, some a pretty annoying. The secret missions are the easiest ones to miss; check the OP on how to get them. There's also one for playing for 100 hours, may or may not be hard to get depending on how much you like the game.

Only just found out that this was actually coming out in Europe after seeing the demo up on XBL. I've never played any of the games in the series so I'm willing to give it a go.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wizpig said:
It'll take at least 3 playthroughs to get all the achievements. While its possible to miss an enemy scan or something, nothing is permantely missable as you can carry things over to future playthroughs. There are 1000 achievements and they are mostly easy but very very time consuming. (The achievement to get all the titles is possible one of the most time consuming and involving achievements out there). Overall I'd say the achievements are fun and actually add an incentive to some traditional Tales of mechanics.

Most of the secret missions are also pretty doable in one playthrough.

I say most, some are really impossible to figure out without a guide and some luck.

Top Bottom