• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

RetroMG

I was pretty annoyed when I first read that they were expanding/updating Vesperia for the PS3 release, but I'll give it this-It added substantial weight to my argument that I needed a PS3. Now my wife is going to let me get one.

rykomatsu

RetroGamer42 said:
I was pretty annoyed when I first read that they were expanding/updating Vesperia for the PS3 release, but I'll give it this-It added substantial weight to my argument that I needed a PS3. Now my wife is going to let me get one.

what's going to happen if ToV PS3 isn't announced for the west? lol (not implying that i think it will or will not get announced...just curious with the ramifications IF it doesn't :p)

Jiggy

Fuu said:
The world map is so smooth, with quick load times for battles (game installed, don't know how it is otherwise). Love it.

Is the OST supposed to be weak? I like most of the music so far.
I think it's one of the weakest in the series, but yeah, some people like it. I just don't know how that can be, when compared to every other Tales game I've played. :p Vesperia's already my favorite game, but I wish all the original themes for Dawn of the New World were in ToV instead so that I could have something even more definitive.

And the battles load almost instantly even without the game installed. So good!

careksims

rykomatsu said:
what's going to happen if ToV PS3 isn't announced for the west? lol (not implying that i think it will or will not get announced...just curious with the ramifications IF it doesn't :p)

Buy the Asian version? Assuming that will get English txt.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
careksims said:
Buy the Asian version? Assuming that will get English txt.

Pretty sure it has both English and Japanese audio options.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jiggy said:
I think it's one of the weakest in the series, but yeah, some people like it. I just don't know how that can be, when compared to every other Tales game I've played. :p Vesperia's already my favorite game, but I wish all the original themes for Dawn of the New World were in ToV instead so that I could have something even more definitive.

And the battles load almost instantly even without the game installed. So good!
Hmm, when putting them in comparison I get what you mean. There was nothing too powerful or out of the ordinary but it's still the standard to the series imo. Maybe I had too low expectations.

Just
restored the Halure tree
. This game is screaming polish from everywhere, really good how there's information on where to find the items needed for the suggested synthesis as the lack of hints is my biggest beef with creating items in games.

About the battles, the load speed and fun systems that keep popping up (the usual synthesis, learning skills from weapons) make me go back for more all the time to farm stuff, gain xp and just have fun. And it will only get better as I gain more artes. Like now, instead of proceeding I'll go farm a Sacred Tree for making a Wood Maul just for the heck of it (edit: got it so quickly. I'll keep randomly exploring anyway.).

There's a big monster in the background of Quoi woods and an area near the end that I would set on fire if I had the token item/thing that spits fire. Thought I would have it by now!

RetroMG

rykomatsu said:

I plan to have purchased a PS3 before that news drops, either way. So if it doesn't come stateside, I'll be sad, and then I'll play Metal Gear Solid 4.

Also, as mentioned above, the PS3 is region-free, right? I'd be willing to import it if it has an English option.

Fuu said:
There's a big monster in the background of Quoi woods and an area near the end that I would set on fire if I had the token item/thing that spits fire. Thought I would have it by now!

I would not hold my breath, if I were you.

Not until just about the end of the game.

Firestorm

I doubt it will have an English option. They're adding a bunch of cutscenes and voicing more dialog (I guess with NPCs?). If they voice that, then an NA version is basically confirmed.

Fuu

Rita is in. Bye, Karol.

RetroGamer42 said:
I would not hold my breath, if I were you.

Not until just about the end of the game.
Haha, I won't then. Thanks.

Fuu

Tried Rita for a bit, the Rhythm skill is pretty nice since it works as an incentive to play with the offensive spell casters. And did she just learn a spell called Champagne which attacks the enemies with bubbles? Win.

I checked and got happy that pausing pauses the game for real. Minor thing for most people but it pisses me off when pausing doesn't stop the game's clock because I normally stop playing all the time to do other quick (or not) things while leaving the system on and I like to know how long I took actually playing.

[Glyph Crystallization of a formula allows this blastia to emit aer as needed], but that's not the best way to describe it since it's actually used to charge other blastia with aer = Woo! Finally.

Jiggy said:
May he never enter your party again, much as he didn't mine.
Not that I hate him or anything but yeah, he won't (although he has already during the scripted surprise enemy encounter at Shaikos Ruins but that doesn't count :lol).

Fuu

Gattuso...
witsn7.gif

I died around 6 times. He was the demo boss wasn't he? I can't say for sure if they used the same monster because I got to the demo boss and died so quickly that I said "yeah... no" and never played it again. If it is the same boss, someone deserves a slap in the face for using it in a demo.

I'm glad that I'm already used to the lag between moves and to timing my defenses. Only was able to beat him when I noticed he has a generous charging animation with each of his more powerful moves which allowed me to defend most of them (doesn't change the fact that he is quick as hell and can bring down my party easily).

Funniest part of this all are the characters going all "LOL, that was easy", "he didn't put up a fight at all!". :lol

Should bother with using Repede's Thievery on bosses? Do they usually have good/rare items?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fuu said:
Gattuso...
Should bother with using Repede's Thievery on bosses? Do they usually have good/rare items?

Yea fuck that boss, I had to put it on easy my first time around.

From my experience, you usually get herbs if you steal from bosses' like: (Permanent +10 HP, Permanent +3 STR) etc.
I recall there is one boss where this is not the situation but you are not there yet.

matmanx1

Reading this thread makes me miss ToV. I havent played it any since I finished it the first time through. (I say the first time because I'm planning on double dipping for the PS3 version - and I hope there's an English version!) Great game though!

Firestorm

Gribbix said:
Namco has finally set up the redemption page for the key that was included in the special edition's manual. The bonus is Volume 2 of the Tales 10th Anniversary Soundtrack.

http://www.talesrpg.com/special/

special_cd.jpg

Source: Kotaku
FUCKING FINALLY. Almost deserves its own topic. Just to point out how long it took.
This better not be in a cheap paper sleeve. And it better include some good tracks. There's a total of one memorable song in Disc 1 (Fury Sparks from Vesperia). If Disc 2 doesn't have either Fatalize or Meaning of Birth... *shake fist*

Edit: Wait a second. I just remembered I ordered the soundtrack through Tales Brigade just before it ended... I guess I'm getting two? =/

Fuu

So much fun running around the old places after you get the boat.

Got to Mantaic and stopped advancing for a while to learn a few skills and do some synthesis. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of extra scenes I got without even trying (
meeting with Duke at the Weasand of Cados, getting a new Arte for Judith by sleeping at the inn and Estelle giving Yuri her mother's memento by sleeping at the inn again
).

I wonder how many of those I missed already. I'll certainly be replaying this as soon as I finish so it's not an issue anyway (first time I'm bothering with grade in Tales too).

Crystalkoen

Fuu said:
So much fun running around the old places after you get the boat.

Got to Mantaic and stopped advancing for a while to learn a few skills and do some synthesis. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of extra scenes I got without even trying (
meeting with Duke at the Weasand of Cados, getting a new Arte for Judith by sleeping at the inn and Estelle giving Yuri her mother's memento by sleeping at the inn again
).

I wonder how many of those I missed already. I'll certainly be replaying this as soon as I finish so it's not an issue anyway (first time I'm bothering with grade in Tales too).

There's a lot of those events in the game. Namely, a metric shitton, at least one in every town that has an Inn, and almost all of them time limited by storyline events. Example: First trip to Town A? Sleep at the inn before leaving town, there's a scene that you'll miss if you enter Town B before sleeping in Town A. Got the event in Town A, then finished in Town B? Go back to Town A and sleep, then go to Town B and talk to someone, then sleep. If you go to town C before completing all of those steps, you miss the events, including all future events in that line, and whatever items/titles they offer, for that playthrough.

Up to my 3rd playthrough right now, did my
<15 hour playthrough second
, and I'm STILL missing shit because of that, like
Yuri's Dark Enforcer title. Seriously? I get a 5-minute storyline sequence I gotta sneak between? Ugh. At least I'll get Brionac this time through...
Still can't finish the dog map, either. Every piece of land on the map is glowing blue, and yet I can't find the spots I'm missing to get above 85% and finish it. That's AFTER getting
Krones' Dew to allow landing anywhere, and the opening of some areas after Tarqaron becomes available
. So yeah, any long-shot ideas as to what I might be missing?

finally finished. one thing is bothering me tho and was hoping someone could clear it up for me

i'm wondering why raven
didn't die when they converted all the blastia into spirits. ya know, given his heart condition an all

is there any explanation for that?

edit: nvm. forgot that
his blastia is powered by his own life force
lol

Victrix

*beard*
Finally got around to finishing this - it took a long time since I was only playing when a friend was around

The last area/boss were really easy.

What were the
stone cairn/cavern looking things all over the map? never found a way in.

Also never got into the big boss fight in the woods area just outside the first town either, was always blocked and the ring wouldn't open it

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Victrix said:
What were the
stone cairn/cavern looking things all over the map? never found a way in.

Aer krene's. A couple of them are involved in the devil arms sidequest, but several are useless.

Firestorm

Victrix said:
Also never got into the big boss fight in the woods area just outside the first town either, was always blocked and the ring wouldn't open it
You need a higher powered Sorceror's ring. You actually power it up in a few of the Aer Krenes =p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, and opening the first air krene gives you a weapon that's part of the sidequest to make the last boss hard as hell! :p

Fuu

Daaamn, I instantly noticed
Belius
is voiced by Nona Marshal aka Angelus in Drakengard.

Using the same style of voice.

I just had a nerdgasm.

Counting me there's probably around 5 people in the world who would find this great. :lol

Pancakes

Fuu said:
Daaamn, I instantly noticed
Belius
is voiced by Nona Marshal aka Angelus in Drakengard.

Using the same style of voice.

I just had a nerdgasm.

Counting me there's probably around 5 people in the world who would find this great. :lol

Rita is voiced by the the same person as Bleach's Rukia dub. :O

Papercuts

Yuri's VA is Action Bastard from Shin Chan. :lol

I recently got back into this since I was pretty close to 100% anyway. I wrapped up the monster book completely and have really narrowed down the items, but of course one of Rita's weapons is apparently only sold in Heliord for a limited time so I missed that entirely. The last things I need are all pretty repetitive but I'll try to slog through...100 fatal strikes with everyone minus yuri, the cooking stuff, and some synth item farming is pretty much it. Then I'll just need to speedrun the game(I need to get to heliord in a new game anyway, so that'll help motivate) and get through the first third with 1/2 exp.

Pancakes

Good luck with all that, it took me quite a while :lol .

Papercuts

I did all of the sidequests earlier, so I have nearly all of the hard titles out of the way atleast. Still, that pic above shows it took you over 210 hours, I'm only at 130... :lol

DAMNIT I accidentally overwritten my save file where I was getting all of the Secret Mission achievements! I was at 20 damnit, and all those costumes..

I must have done it when I went into my original file to go through the Labyrinth of Memories a couple more times

also finally beat that, got 6 Fake Gald on one playthrough, I wasnt going to take
kratos
on right away at first, I was going to go save and then come through again to make sure I didnt lose it and I accidentally went onto him and took him down

Pankaks said:
Rita is voiced by the the same person as Bleach's Rukia dub. :O

really now.. I guess I will have to check out the dub sometimes instead of just the sub

Papercuts

Oh my god, I thought I had nearly all the recipes done(all of the chefs found + a couple randomly made)...I had 18. There's 35 and then another from the chef, what the hell? :lol

I feel so bad for the person who first found out who makes what food to create another recipe.

Also, anyone have tips for the Treasure Hunter title? I have to be damn close to 86%, I've backtracked through the majority of the dungeons just to see nothing but opened chests and the occasionally lucky search spot for an item.

Kandrick said:
The demo finally came to EU xbox live :lol

Almost there, hope the game is not delayed.

everyone in Europe and UK get the demo... although dont let it give you a final opinion on the full game if you hate it. just enjoy the pretty colors and nice graphics

PseudoKirby said:
everyone in Europe and UK get the demo... although dont let it give you a final opinion on the full game if you hate it. just enjoy the pretty colors and nice graphics

No problem with that, I liked the demo, it's pretty much a succession of battles, and I liked the combat system (This is my second "Tales of" after Phantasia), though I got owned in the boss two times, I think I suck. :lol

Fuu

Relaxed Muscle said:
No problem with that, I liked the demo, it's pretty much a succession of battles, and I liked the combat system (This is my second "Tales of" after Phantasia), though I got owned in the boss two times, I think I suck. :lol
You don't. That was the worst boss they could have chosen for the demo. In the normal game the difficult spike is tremendous and I haven't faced any other boss who was as problematic as that one yet.

-PXG-

When the hell is the updated version coming to the PS3? I want to get it on the 360, but might hold out if the PS3 version has significant updates.

Firestorm

-PXG- said:
When the hell is the updated version coming to the PS3? I want to get it on the 360, but might hold out if the PS3 version has significant updates.
First post has the details...
Japan: 2009
Rest of the World: 2010? Never? 2015?

We already know the updates though, why not decide from that?

Neil

Kandrick said:
The demo finally came to EU xbox live :lol

Almost there, hope the game is not delayed.

LOL the same demo, I take it?
So excited for this game.
Got mine pre-ordered at Amazon... Only 6 weeks to go :D

Top Bottom