• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Malio

I'm over 50 hours into this biatch and have just now beat down Alexi. I better hurry before ToV2 comes 'round. :D

I've been plodding my way through this for months now. I'm right at the end (
floating aspio, or whatever it's called
) and the game never really clicked for me. I feel like the game could play itself, and I have very little meaningful choice to make. There's all sorts of flexibility in looking cool in an anime way, but outside a few boss battles, nothing really interesting has happened in the battle system. I mash a few attacks, chain up a few things, a minute later it's over. At several points I got so tired of the battles that I was running away just so I didn't have to sit though another one. Then I discovered that the game actually could successfully play itself, so I started doing that whenever my ability to stomach the battle system reached its limit.

The story had one interesting moment, which was quickly forgotten sadly. Especially when later on your friends lecture people that the ends don't always justify the means. Otherwise it's all just tired archetypes. It's unoffensive though. Also looks really nice.

I should have known from the outset, but I guess this is just the opposite of what I want in an RPG. It is the furthest I've ever managed to get in a Tales game so maybe that says something. I guess for people like me there's always the DS.

Foffy

Banned
I hate to ask what is an overly done question but, what is the current stance on an international release of Tales of Vesperia for the PS3?

I'm a MAJOR sucker for enhanced ports, and I don't want to be bitten again as I was with Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I bought it and beat it 2 weeks before they announced the PS3 version :X

Firestorm

Foffy said:
I hate to ask what is an overly done question but, what is the current stance on an international release of Tales of Vesperia for the PS3?

I'm a MAJOR sucker for enhanced ports, and I don't want to be bitten again as I was with Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I bought it and beat it 2 weeks before they announced the PS3 version :X
No word on it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
kai3345 said:
Theres a European version isnt there?
on the 360! :lol

And I'm not sure I'd call it a "European version" as, despite being for Europe, it only had English, French and German, with english voices

starsky

It's definitely a "European version" though. The game has exactly the same content with US one, only we get it 8 months later.

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
on the 360! :lol

And I'm not sure I'd call it a "European version" as, despite being for Europe, it only had English, French and German, with english voices
I can see how someone would get confused though. The EU release was released closer to the PS3 version release than the 360 =P

Aru

The game is great but Gattuso is a real pain in the butt.

Can't beat him now, the AI is kinda stupid so that won't help :/

Peff

Haha, he IS the hardest boss in the game after all :p Make sure you beat his two cubs first, that should ease the amount of damage you receive quite a bit. After that, you can set Estelle to heal by only allowing her to use her Healing Artes, maybe have Repede use items when the party members still have decent HP and use the Overlimit to finish him off. You should also try to use the plants as that will fulfill the secret mission. Good luck!

Teppic

Aru said:
The game is great but Gattuso is a real pain in the butt.

Can't beat him now, the AI is kinda stupid so that won't help :/
That's the only really unbalanced boss in the game, I had to level up a bit before I could beat him. I can't really give any strategy for it, but If you already haven't done so, make sure to set the item use in the strategy menu to "do not use" for all characters. Healing is much easier when you manage it yourself. Estelle also have the item thrower ability, which can quickly heal any character with items.

Dead

well not really...yet
Some guy talked to Yuri's English VA at a London Expo and he had this to say (apparently, take with a grain of salt I guess)

I can confirm that Tales of vesperia (PS3) has been localized fully in english, I had a chat with Troy Baker who voiced Yuri Lowell today at the London Expo. Told me he and the rest of the crew had to do additional voice overs due to the addition of Patty Fluer and the fully voiced skits.

http://scrawlfx.com/2009/10/more-proof-of-tales-of-vesperia-ps3-localization

JCX said:
I would really like Vesperia PS3. I want to play a good console RPG.

then you want to get demon's souls ;)

Dead said:
Some guy talked to Yuri's English VA at a London Expo and he had this to say (apparently, take with a grain of salt I guess)

http://scrawlfx.com/2009/10/more-proof-of-tales-of-vesperia-ps3-localization

According to a vgchartzzz member who's attended the show

this info needs to be taken with a boulder of salt :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It wouldn't make much sense for them to have already finished localizing the game and not even announce it.

Aru

Resound the cry of victory !

I beat Gattuso some hours ago. Damn he was tough ! After changing a few things in the strategy menu, I fought him again and win (not without pain though).

I'm really enjoying the game. The story telling, characters and battle system are far more enjoyable than those of Symphonia.

Oh and I absolutely love the skits with Repede, he is so funny :lol

Aru

I just got a black screen while
fighting Flynn in the colosseum, when that red haired guy from the beginning appeared suddenly.

The game froze on that black screen and I couldn't do anything but stop the 360 via the Xbox button.

Did that happen to someone ?

I'll try again later, but I hope it won't happen again :/

cress2000 said:
I remember having the game lock up on me twice while using a magic lens on an enemy right when they died.

Try holding the target switch button right as the final enemy dies, it's a blast.:lol

rykomatsu

finally finished ToV (ps3)

Patty's addition was interesting, but too many details, imho, were left out. Really fun character to play, but I still prefer Judith by a long shot. The whole gambling concept/theme is fun at first, but when you're doing damage to yourself/party due to a bad draw or what not, it gets a little annoying. Probably going to start my 2nd run through this week to try to get most of the trophies eventually.

Overall a pretty solid port. The amount of additional content is really quite something. For reference, it took me about 60hrs to finish my first run through on the 360 including the Fel Arms. ToVPS3 took 79hrs with approximately the same amount of skits as well as collecting the Fel Arms.

While there might be some bitching about ToVPS3 being the same price as the 360 version when it was first released, there's quite a bit of additional content which, imho, is definitely worth it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the female cast's swim attire :(

rykomatsu said:
finally finished ToV (ps3)

Patty's addition was interesting, but too many details, imho, were left out. Really fun character to play, but I still prefer Judith by a long shot. The whole gambling concept/theme is fun at first, but when you're doing damage to yourself/party due to a bad draw or what not, it gets a little annoying. Probably going to start my 2nd run through this week to try to get most of the trophies eventually.

Overall a pretty solid port. The amount of additional content is really quite something. For reference, it took me about 60hrs to finish my first run through on the 360 including the Fel Arms. ToVPS3 took 79hrs with approximately the same amount of skits as well as collecting the Fel Arms.

While there might be some bitching about ToVPS3 being the same price as the 360 version when it was first released, there's quite a bit of additional content which, imho, is definitely worth it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the female cast's swim attire :(
What's been added exactly? 19 hours of extra content seems pretty extensive.

rykomatsu

I should be doing hw said:
What's been added exactly? 19 hours of extra content seems pretty extensive.

-Game+ dungeon that's been added, but part of it needs to be completed for the Fel Arms sidequest
-A Flynn-centric quest that takes you to 4 dungeons, which are interconnected physically (sidequest)
-New dungeon that's actually part of the story
-Patty content which is somewhat extensive
-Repede snowboard game w/ 8 courses
Amongst other things

Add to that, new skits for both Patty and Flynn

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll probably have to get this again on PS3 if it comes out in the US. Great game. I played as Yuri for most of the game until I found that you could totally wreck shit as Rita, some of her spells can slaughter foes like nothing else.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Considering how many people ask him about Vesperia (and how much he loves talking about it) I instantly distrust anyone who claims they "talked with Troy Baker" without video proof. And to add to that, here is some actual video proof of Troy Baker responding to people about Vesperia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8qRbWTfL-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszKinMsowY

With all the people claiming to have talked to Troy and gotten news of Vesperia PS3 and all the various videos of Troy talking about Vesperia in general, are you really expecting me to believe that no one managed to get video/audio recording of Troy saying such a thing? Bullshit. Most likely he's either avoiding talking about Vesperia because he knows something or he doesn't know anything. Which doesn't tell us anything.

Hell, he even hints in the above video that somebody is trying to get the licenses for the Vesperia movie to release it over here. So why isn't there video footage of these Vesperia PS3 talks?

According to Gamefront Rikiya Koyama said (on his blog: http://blog.livedoor.jp/rikiya_no_kimochi/ ) that Tales of Vesperia could come to Wii...

Erscheint Tales of Vesperia für Wii?

07.11.09 - Bandai Namcos Rollenspiel Tales of Vesperia (PS3, Xbox 360) könnte vielleicht auch für Wii erscheinen. Das lässt sich einem Kommentar des japanischen Synchronsprechers und Schauspielers Rikiya Koyama entnehmen.

Koyama schreit in seinem Blog, dass das Spiel nach Xbox 360 und PS3 jetzt auch für Wii auf den Markt kommen soll; der Schauspieler hatte in dem RPG die Rolle des Duke gesprochen.

Bandai Namco hat sich zu Koyamas Kommentar nicht geäußert und Tales of Vesperia auch noch nicht für Wii angekündigt.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
360, PS3, and rumors for the wii. Any indication of a PC version?

Synless

I'm at the end of the game and I have to say that it is an injustice not to put this game out on the PS3 in english. This game is honestly one of the best RPG's I have played in years. The character development is second to none and seriously almost a selling point on it's own. Ridiculously amazing game.

Top Bottom