• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Vanille

Mikey Jr. said:
***BONUS QUESTION***
For the PS3 version, how do the extra characters work?
Like when does that little girl join you, and when does Flynn join you in the story?
How does this affect the cutscenes, etc?

Patty joins you at the Sands of Kogorh, but Flynn doesn't join permanently until Tarquaron (he joins temporarily at Ghasfarost, Zaude and Heracles though). Honestly, they don't alter the story much. Patty just kind of stands there and has little relation to anything that is going on, and Flynn is still a douche.

I am about 5 hours in, and I'm certainly enjoying it - ToV seems to be the best JRPG this generation has to offer after the epic beauty of Lost Odyssey. I will report further impressions as I progress along.

Mikey Jr.

Vanille said:
Patty joins you at the Sands of Kogorh, but Flynn doesn't join permanently until Tarquaron (he joins temporarily at Ghasfarost, Zaude and Heracles though). Honestly, they don't alter the story much. Patty just kind of stands there and has little relation to anything that is going on, and Flynn is still a douche.

Alright, thanks.

Btw, I just saw this video. (maybe spoiler, but not really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGOdGic90Fw

The fuck. Should I be able to do this? Most of my combos are 10 hit combos. How is he linking all those artes together?

Fuck I suck at this game, haha.

Vanille

Mikey Jr. said:
Alright, thanks.

Btw, I just saw this video. (maybe spoiler, but not really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGOdGic90Fw

The fuck. Should I be able to do this? Most of my combos are 10 hit combos. How is he linking all those artes together?

Fuck I suck at this game, haha.

First of all, you need Yuri's tension skills, which give you auto overlimit if you reach 28 hits. To get the tension skills, synthesize and equip Yuri's Tyrant Fist subweapon.

Then just equip all the super chain skills you have and learn how to use them. With super chains 1, 4, and 5, for example, you can do something like this:

attack > base arte > arcane arte > base arte > altered arte > arcane arte

You should be able to reach 28 hits easily, putting you into overlimit, and then you just take it from there.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've beaten the x360 version twice and the ps3 version once, but could someone post Patty's story/info (who she is, why she does certain things,
how the guy you fight on the ghost ship is related to her
, etc...
I can't read japanese, thanks

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mejilan said:
Did ANYONE get their item? I don't remember that the voucher was ever actually redeemable. Fucking Scamco.

It was, it was for Vol 2 & 3 of the Soundtrack. I also got the soundtrack from Tales Brigade before they made it redeemable, so I have two copies of Vol2 now. :lol

ZealousD said:
It was, it was for Vol 2 & 3 of the Soundtrack. I also got the soundtrack from Tales Brigade before they made it redeemable, so I have two copies of Vol2 now. :lol

They really fucked up both offers imo. I didn't get either CD till I emailed them and went "Where's my shit?", and then I couldn't get volume 2 because they were out, apparently it wasn't first come first served, because I registered as soon as the site went up, but dependant on if they remembered to send you anything. Luckily I did the GameStop thing for the Tales Brigade as well, so I emailed them and went "Where's my shit?" and got volume 2 that way.

Sorry for bumping this thread up. I am so LTTP. I just want to say that this game is awesome. I am 45 hours in and it seems like this game does not end. This is really the first time a cast of characters clicked with me. At first I hated Rita but now she is awesome and Karol is the shit. Amazing and epic game. When I thought I beat the game I was in for a surprise. I was actually only done with 2/3 of the game @ 45 hours. 40 hours is usually the amount of time it takes to beat these games. I really thought the game tied up everything at that point until the ending of that Arc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Host Samurai said:
When I thought I beat the game I was in for a surprise. I was actually only done with 2/3 of the game @ 45 hours.

I take it this is your first Tales game?

Wizpig

I bought the game at EUR day-one (kind of) and I just finished it for the first time.
I sure am not going to do those crazy subquests and achievements, I read some of the requirements and... wow.

I also read that
Kratos from ToS is a boss, and that there are swimsuits outfits
... things I will never see :/

The final dungeon was awesome by the way -- as for the ending and the game itself, I liked Tales of Symphonia more.
Is ToS 2 for the Wii a good game? will it rape my memories of the original?

Wizpig said:
I bought the game at EUR day-one (kind of) and I just finished it for the first time.
I sure am not going to do those crazy subquests and achievements, I read some of the requirements and... wow.

I also read that
Kratos from ToS is a boss, and that there are swimsuits outfits
... things I will never see :/

The final dungeon was awesome by the way -- as for the ending and the game itself, I liked Tales of Symphonia more.
Is ToS 2 for the Wii a good game? will it rape my memories of the original?

To be honest I think I liked TOS 2 a little bit more than the original. And the original is one of my favorite Tales games.

I got a 360 recently. Beat Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, now I have Tales of Vesperia. I'm loving it so far, and Halure is freakin beautiful when
you return to it in the day and everything is fixed.

The last boss I fought was kind of annoying, though. I almost died. I had to spam special attacks because my sword kept bouncing off of him. I kinda hope there aren't any more fights like that. D:

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
DarknessTear said:
I got a 360 recently. Beat Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, now I have Tales of Vesperia. I'm loving it so far, and Halure is freakin beautiful when
you return to it in the day and everything is fixed.

The last boss I fought was kind of annoying, though. I almost died. I had to spam special attacks because my sword kept bouncing off of him. I kinda hope there aren't any more fights like that. D:

If you're talking about the wolf boss (I forget is name) don't worry he's the hardest the bosses get.

Pankaks said:
If you're talking about the wolf boss (I forget is name) don't worry he's the hardest the bosses get.

Naaaw. The big stone thing. It wasn't that it was hard.. but when I attacked it it only let me hit it once at a time! It was lame. Everyone was dyingggg.

Rpgmonkey

I'm amazed at how inconsistent/ignorant the guy is with the work he takes. :p

I've stopped taking these comments from him seriously...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Shuusui said:
Completely misleading news story. As can be seen in the video, Troy refers to his going back to do additional voice work, something which he has mentioned before. However, last time he mentioned it he didn't really seem to know what it was for (didn't know about Patty back then) and none of other Vesperia voice actors were involved (yet?). I'm not sure whether Baker knows it was for Vesperia or if he's just assuming, but it really doesn't tell us much either way (Namco has done preliminary work on alot of unlocalized Tales of games). Also Troy didn't bring up the "European announcement", a fan did. However the fan is wrong and has probably just been mislead by a previous false rumor.

Basically, Troy Baker didn't confirm a Tales of Vesperia PS3 localization and this is just another case of shitty gaming "journalism" trying to get attention during E3 by misrepresenting old news :/

MechaX

Rpgmonkey said:
I'm amazed at how inconsistent/ignorant the guy is with the work he takes. :p

I've stopped taking these comments from him seriously...

When you start doing as many dubs as the typical anime voice actor does, everything starts to blur together.

But jeez, I'm surprised these Vesperia PS3 rumors keep continuing on when we've missed the boat for that and Graces for over half a year (almost a full year in Vesperia PS3's case).

Rpgmonkey

cosmicblizzard said:
What else has he been wrong about?

He hasn't been "wrong", it's just that every time this is brought up his story is never consistent.

First he apparently knows about ToV PS3 and features like Patty, and that he was recording new stuff, then he apparently recorded something, but has no idea it was for a "Vesperia PS3" and didn't know about stuff like Patty, then all of a sudden he does this.

Either he randomly decides when and where to give a shit about keeping these things private, or I'm not really sure what he's been talking about all this time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jeels said:
I want to hold onto this as a glimmer of hope, but the more I do this, the more it hurts. :lol

At this point, if you really want to play the Japanese version, you're better off importing it and using a guide.

Patryn

Jeels said:
I want to hold onto this as a glimmer of hope, but the more I do this, the more it hurts. :lol

I think your best best is E3. If it isn't announced there, then it's probably never going to happen, regardless of what VAs say.

Jeels

Oh, don't worry, I completely gave up after that whole, "Hay guys, Namco announces Tales games in April, wait till then!" spectacle. I'm just screwing around here. My tears have long been shed.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll wait for E3.

After that, I'll give up.

Jeels

Firestorm said:
At this point if you saved like 50 cents a day since Vesperia PS3 was announced you'd have enough for a 360 + game.

I've already played the hell out of the 360 version boss. It was one of the main reasons I bought a 360.

Jeels said:
I've already played the hell out of the 360 version boss. It was one of the main reasons I bought a 360.
Then start worrying about Graces and/of future titles because while Vesperia PS3 could be easily lost due to Hometek usual incompetence, still missing Graces points to a quite more devastating localization approach than usual from Hometek.

If after E3 Graces isn't still announced, I'd say it'd be fair to wave goodbye to Tales localizations until:
a) Hometek evaporates, Namco Bandai rethinks their approach. Long wait, latest developments leading all the other way around.
b) Namco Bandai evaportaes, finally licenses the series to other publishers. Downfall feasible given the company economics and their future commitment to the market being led by downright assholes. Still, such an outcome could very well lead to the franchise dying and the developer (Tales Studio) dissolving itself or being tied to a new publisher for IPs not being Tales.
c) Their new plan about giving the middle finger to the Tales franchise also involves licensing it if a good offer comes around under very strict conditions, call the Ignition card or the Atlus-does-another-Demon's-Souls card. Hard to see it happening.
d) Best choice. Neogaf pays johntv to buy the entire franchise license for the West and enter the self-publishing business with 8-4!

I'm only joking in one of those choices.

Jeels

Right, I'm just kind of used to Namco screwing its own fans over. If I had to pick one game for them to bring over, it'd be Vesperia over Graces just because of personal preference. But I completely understand why a lack of Graces announcement speaks much more in terms of Namco's direction with the franchise localization from here on out.

[PS: Wish it was A,B, or C that was the joke and not D].

Sagitario

Jeels said:
Right, I'm just kind of used to Namco screwing its own fans over. If I had to pick one game for them to bring over, it'd be Vesperia over Graces just because of personal preference. But I completely understand why a lack of Graces announcement speaks much more in terms of Namco's direction with the franchise localization from here on out.

[PS: Wish it was A,B, or C that was the joke and not D].

Vesperia is perfectly playable in English right now, I'd rather have Graces...

MechaX

I may be completely off-base on this, so I welcome some one to shoot this down if I'm too far out there.

But would Bamco even have a lot to lose for allowing Atlus or any one else to publish the Tales games at this point? I never understood why this company was so possessive over a franchise just so they can run it into the ground themselves.

Patryn

MechaX said:
I may be completely off-base on this, so I welcome some one to shoot this down if I'm too far out there.

But would Bamco even have a lot to lose for allowing Atlus or any one else to publish the Tales games at this point? I never understood why this company was so possessive over a franchise just so they can run it into the ground themselves.

I'd love to see what Atlus could do with a Tales localization.

Rpgmonkey

MechaX said:

I think Namco just wants to keep a really tight leash over Tales Studio and the franchise when they can.

I'm not quite sure just how much control the company has over its own operations, but I'm going to assume Tales Studio gets little (if any) freedom of choice over which games they make will be localized, and who can localize them.

Maybe they're afraid that if they let Tales Studio work with another publisher to localize a Tales game outside of Japan instead of Namco handling it, the new publisher will manage to get a hit. And then Namco has to share the profits, and/or Tales Studio will make a push to work with other publishers outside of Japan for their games after they succeeded where Namco failed (and if push comes to shove, a "worst-case scenario" happens where a bunch of people leave to form an independent company or go to develop for someone else). That or the publisher might have some other kind of influence on Tales Studio Namco doesn't want showing up. I'd assume quality would be an issue, but I think some perfectly competent publishers have made attempts to no avail, so I dunno.

But then again several Tales games haven't done so hot and Tales Studio doesn't seem to care as far as I can tell, so eh. Just my crazy conspiracy theory. :p

FSLink

Banned
Sagitario said:
Vesperia is perfectly playable in English right now, I'd rather have Graces...
Yeah, and if you played the 360 version, importing and playing through the PS3 version in Japanese won't be too difficult to get through.
I'd rather have Graces, Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X/Phantasia X (because NDX looks awesome, and we need a non sucky localization of Phantasia), and any other future Tales games than Vesperia PS3.

Though of course, ideally we'd get them all. :(

Patryn

Rpgmonkey said:
I think Namco just wants to keep a really tight leash over Tales Studio and the franchise when they can.

I'm not quite sure just how much control the company has over its own operations, but I'm going to assume Tales Studio gets little (if any) freedom of choice over which games they make will be localized, and who can localize them.

Maybe they're afraid that if they let Tales Studio work with another publisher to localize a Tales game outside of Japan instead of Namco handling it, the new publisher will manage to get a hit. And then Namco has to share the profits, and/or Tales Studio will make a push to work with other publishers outside of Japan for their games after they succeeded where Namco failed (and if push comes to shove, a "worst-case scenario" happens where a bunch of people leave to form an independent company or go to develop for someone else). That or the publisher might have some other kind of influence on Tales Studio Namco doesn't want showing up. I'd assume quality would be an issue, but I think some perfectly competent publishers have made attempts to no avail, so I dunno.

But then again several Tales games haven't done so hot and Tales Studio doesn't seem to care as far as I can tell, so eh. Just my crazy conspiracy theory. :p

Sadly, I think you're right. Better to fail with them than succeed with someone else.

matmanx1

Even with my nearly 100 hours of playtime on ToV on the 360 I'd still happily buy and support a localized PS3 version. Unfortunately I became a Tales fan rather late in the game (the only one I played before Vesperia was ToS on the Gamecube) and have since gone back and picked up some of the ones I missed and really enjoyed myself with a few of them.

Tales of the Abyss I have a few hours in and I already love everything about it and would be actively working on it right now if I wasnt trying to finish Persona 4 this month. As it is, it's next on my backlog.

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology I have about 20 hours in on the PSP as I've discovered it's a fun pick up and play action RPG when I have a few minutes to do a mission. I'll finish it someday but I'm in no hurry.

I picked both of those up after I finished ToV and started to realize that in general, I really like the standard Tales game setup and would like to see more of them in the US with the polish and excellence of Vesperia. Bad timing for me, eh? Who knows, though. Maybe Graces localization will be announced at E3 or maybe Namco will bring us a whole fresh new Tales game for PS3/360 later this year. I'd be pretty happy with either one at this point.

matmanx1 said:
Maybe Graces localization will be announced at E3 or maybe Namco will bring us a whole fresh new Tales game for PS3/360 later this year. I'd be pretty happy with either one at this point.

Namco have already said that there's a Tales series announcement coming this summer, so that's something to look forward too.

I'm probably going to replay Vesperia over the summer, since I've given up on Graces.

Aspiring

So i was looking to buy a copy of the game since i have had my 360 fixed and its impossible to find a copy. I dont want it pre owned and all the new ones i have seen on ebay are going for over $100 in some cases $400 :O

Is there any websites that sell it for a normal price?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This was my first Tales game (got it in 2009) and I can't believe what a small run they did and how poor the sales were.

Game's easily one of the best jrpg's this gen.

Top Bottom