• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
If the EU invoked a50 on our behalf then that would be one of the greatest betrayals of sovereignty seen in the last 50 years.

It is not a legally binding referendum and we are trying to get a new government sorted.

I must admit, I'm not massively pleased with how Europe has reacted to this, although it is understandable that they are pissed off, we are a sovereign nation and contribute massively to the EU budget and run a large trade deficit with it.

Doc_Drop

Let the libdem hate go, tactical voting is one of the things that brought the Tories down last time.

That thought process is poison and one of the major reasons our political parties suck. It encourages bad political practice. I vote for people I want representing me in Parliament, not so a team wins or loses

Cromwell

Banned
markets recovering second day in a row!

Vladimir-Putin-laugh-gif.gif

nw3

Lib Dems should have never got in bed with the Tories. They should have gone to Labour or suggest a new three way partnership but they wanted that power. I honestly would prefer a new party under a liberal/social banner, Lib Dems are almost dead to me after I voted for them and they did the unthinkable for a taste of power

agree - i voted for them that election too (for the first time ever, always Labout until that point) and they screwed us well and proper for a sniff of power.

The famous "Power tends to corrupt" quote is very apt for what happened, you could see it in motion....you could see it on Nick Cleggs face

Izuna

Banned
If the EU invoked a50 on our behalf then that would be one of the greatest betrayals of sovereignty seen in the last 50 years.

It is not a legally binding referendum and we are trying to get a new government sorted.

I must admit, I'm not massively pleased with how Europe has reacted to this, although it is understandable that they are pissed off, we are a sovereign nation and contribute massively to the EU budget and run a large trade deficit with it.

They can't.

Ashes is going to give me shit today.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
some people are actually happy if the UK leaves the EU because UK was known for blocking some reformations and that they insisted on their "special deals". Having better deals than all of the other members but usually the only country to keep complaining.

Imho the public EU opinion about the #Brexit slowly changes from "shocked" to "¯\_(ツ)_/¯" with all those news in the last days.

On the plus side, the TTIP is now probably DOA in the EU.

Let's see what kind of deal the UK gets if it has to negotiate its own transatlantic trade arrangement with America. I bet Boris is great at deals. Very good deals. The best deals.

Dougald

Lib Dems should have never got in bed with the Tories. They should have gone to Labour or suggest a new three way partnership but they wanted that power. I honestly would prefer a new party under a liberal/social banner, Lib Dems are almost dead to me after I voted for them and they did the unthinkable for a taste of power

There was no way that Labour/LD would have worked though, it would still have been a minority government. LDs had a choice between a strong government in a time of financial crisis (even if it was a Tory one), and a government that would suffer a fight to pass every single piece of legislation, whether or not they were a part of it

Tak3n

Banned
Boris Johnson 100 Mp's

Teresa May 80 MP's

Sky News.

so it looks like it is between them two...

Sky News also saying that Boris is way ahead in members, so if he makes top two he will be new PM

Hasney

markets recovering second day in a row!

FTSE250 is holding basically. It's likely to stay this low until significant things happen like job losses and restructuring, or recovering by staying in the EU. FTSE100 is mostly enjoying the fact that most of the big countries are doing fine as they have global presence.

PJV3

That thought process is poison and one of the major reasons our political parties suck. It encourages bad political practice. I vote for people I want representing me in Parliament, not so a team wins or loses

It's shit, but until we get PR or marginals disappear it's what it is.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

The EU is being much more polite and germane than I thought it'd be.

They basically told the UK to sort their shit out before holding any talks. They want certainty and formality so they can work on the exit strategy like grown ups, which is a heck of a lot more than what the UK is currently offering.

Hasney

The EU is being much more formal and germane than I thought it'd be.

They basically told the UK to sort their shit out before holding any talks. They want certainty and formality so they can work on the exit strategy like grown ups, which is a heck of a lot more than what the UK is currently offering.

Hell, they even let their biggest detractor stand up and talk nonsense even after the country he was from voted to leave.

kmag

Boris Johnson 100 Mp's

Teresa May 80 MP's

Sky News.

so it looks like it is between them two...

Sky News also saying that Boris is way ahead in members, so if he makes top two he will be new PM

ConservativeHome has May 29% and Boris on 28% in their survey of members.

liquidtmd

Banned
I want Boris purely because he pushed this, he can deal with it.

Farage is a dick but that's his M.O. If Boris merely gets to walk away and never be heard of again, thats insanity.

Meadows

Banned
I got absolutely ripped for saying the LDs did well in government. They were holding this shitshow back for years and got absolutely zero credit.

Does my head in.

Izuna

Banned
Good god. I'd actually prefer Boris

May as PM...

I'd wake up and think "what the bloody hell has happened..."

Nigel Farage would say a bunch of sexist stuff and yet gain more support. Trump gets more support as UK is fucked under the helm of a woman.

Darkest Timeline.

Despite that, why do I get the feeling that she's at the very least better suited than Boris as PM? Oh yeah, because while she's vile she didn't lie through her damn teeth.

DBT85

I got absolutely ripped for saying the LDs did well in government. They were holding this shitshow back for years and got absolutely zero credit.

Does my head in.

Have to agree with you. They stopped the tories going full tory and managed to get things like the personal allowance up among others.

Yeah half of them voted to put the student fees up, but a) that wasn't why I voted for them and b) i have to wonder what they had to bargain for to get what they did.

If another election came along tomorrow I'd vote for them again.

People are a bit harsh after he failed to impress at Chelsea but he's been great since he moved back to Athletico.

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

Meadows

Banned
Theresa May is a good politician who has done the hardest job in politics for a number of years now.

I don't agree with her but she has had a tough brief and handled it well.

Doc_Drop

There was no way that Labour/LD would have worked though, it would still have been a minority government. LDs had a choice between a strong government in a time of financial crisis (even if it was a Tory one), and a government that would suffer a fight to pass every single piece of legislation, whether or not they were a part of it

They never should have let them in then, Tory austerity has been killing smaller communities, councils, local NHS services, employment. I'd rather they had another vote if nobody could form a government. It was a power grab pure and simple.

Yes they held a leash on the Tories somewhat. But that is like giving a small child the leash of a great dane and hoping for the best in my opinion

A deal that'll be everything that is eu membership with none of the say.

The end of the united kingdom as we see it today.

An unelected PM with a choice between an absolute idiot or thatcher mk II.

A round of applause for the leave vote ladies and gentlemen

Hasney

Theresa May is a good politician who has done the hardest job in politics for a number of years now.

I don't agree with her but she has had a tough brief and handled it well.

Nope, she believes in the Snoopers Charter far too much and keeps trying to push it fae too hard for me to accept this. The only good thing about her is that she runs her mouth leas than the other prominent Tories.

RedShift

Who the fuck wants Johnson as PM?

The man is a massive joke.

I kind of want it so he has to deal with the mess he made.

But really no he's the most awful politician in the UK. Who conspired to have a journalist beaten up (why is this not an instant disqualification from holding office in this shitty country?)

Madchad

My "ideal" set up for the commons would consist of MPs from: Lib Dems, Greens, UKIP, NI and Scotish reps.

Tory and Labour can die out.

Dougald

They never should have let them in then, Tory austerity has been killing smaller communities, councils, local NHS services, employment. I'd rather they had another vote if nobody could form a government. It was a power grab pure and simple.

Yes they held a leash on the Tories somewhat. But that is like giving a small child the leash of a great dane and hoping for the best in my opinion

What I'm saying is, what realistic alternative was there? Minority governments with constant general elections until someone manages a slim majority would have been a disaster

nw3

Let careerist Boris fall on his own sword.

Deep down he's pro immigration & single market. Which is some slight comfort. The worrying thing is how much further he's willing to lie and deceive his way to power at the expense of what (he knows is) best for our country.

May is just pure evil. Anti human rights, anti immigration

E-phonk

Banned

The EU doesn't act because it's pissed, it acts because it's in the best interests for it's members. You know, like the whole reason EU exists

kmag

What do you actually want them to do? Chain the door? We've said we'll go, they're basically saying "ok, sorry about that, hate to see you go but if you're going could you please get on with it and stop telling us about the fact your going and start telling us when so we make the bed and change the curtains"

They're not going to talk about hypothetical, in terms of a trade deal there's no real discussion the UK knows roughly what's on the table either EEA access and all that entails or it can go for a Canadian style line item access agreement which will tank the UK service industries. It'll probably have to wait until the Chinese and US deals are done though.

There's not going to be a special super dooper deal, the UK already had that, the EU will be flexible enough to get a EEA deal done but it will need to meet the basic tenants of the EU's core values (free movement of goods, capital, services, and people) as essentially those ARE the common market.

Dougald

Let careerist Boris fall on his own sword.

Deep down he's pro immigration & single market. Which is some slight comfort. The worrying thing is how much further he's willing to lie and deceive his way to power at the expense of what (he knows is) best for our country.

May is just pure evil. Anti human rights, anti immigration

Boris is evil as a front for his own political gains. May is evil because she's the devil incarnate

A repeat of the vote in order for a party to collect a majority. If I had known the Lib Dems would have considered teaming up with the Tories I wouldn't have voted for them

This would have both been a disaster that dragged on for months if not years, and probably would have resulted in a majority Conservative government given the swing away from Labour in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom