• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's not even a banker though. Her 'high flying city career' has been debunked. She's the living embodiment of the bullshit Leave campaign.

Well pretend banker, guess it's yet another lie to add to the growing list.... unreal they could say so much untruths and the gullible masses fell for it.

As we found out today even Liam Fox thinks Gove is a mental case.

Damn, while its a free vote, the inference is that both Fox and Crabbs MP would back May.

So, was Gove serious or just usurping Boris?

Will Leadsom bow to the inevitable or push for the grassroots?

Can House of Cards or Game of Thrones compete with the plot twists of UK politics?

And who will think of the Kids? Please, someone, think if the kids!

Jisgsaw

latest

If someone with some skills (...and time) puts a EU flag on Troy, Cameron on Pierce, Gove and Johnson on Abed and Annie, Farage on Britta and May on Jeff, I think we'd have a pretty good sum up of the last couple weeks...

Orbis

Fox backing May was surprising, politically he's closer to Gove and Leadsom.
I was surprised but then I think he (and Crabb) have seen the lead that May has and are probably sure she's going to win now. Why back the wrong horse?

I don't think that Tory party members will swing towards Leadsom either in the ballot for the final two. It won't be a walkover but it will be decisive. If Gove makes it to the final two then he will be destroyed.

IpKaiFung

Yeah, I know. The question is did they both go to the same job fit course on CV writing that the dole office make every JSA claimant go on?

Orbis

Seriously what happens if Leadsom gets second and then wins? Like. Fuck.
Well hopefully the membership has more sense than that. Surely experience alone makes May a far better candidate. This is not just a leadership election, it's a selection of our new PM and Leadsom does not have the experience for that.

I always dreaded the thought that May would succeed Cameron as soon as he announced this was his last term as PM. But out of these candidates, I would take her. It's the most stable option at a time when we need stability.

Goodlife

Wonder what the people who voted leave because of how undemocratic they thought the EU was feel about the current process of electing the British leader

Alx

Wonder what the people who voted leave because of how undemocratic they thought the EU was feel about the current process of electing the British leader

You should keep an eye on Farage, in case he prepares a new referendum about that...

The crazy obsessed Momentum types were bad enough. Now that The Canary, the left-wing Breibart, is encouraging them and making them believe bullshit, it's terrible. They think they're on to some big conspiracy but by publishing such fucking bollocks to a crazed audience, they're truly dangerous both to public discourse and to actual people.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The crazy obsessed Momentum types were bad enough. Now that The Canary, the left-wing Breibart, is encouraging them and making them believe bullshit, it's terrible. They think they're on to some big conspiracy but by publishing such fucking bollocks to a crazed audience, they're truly dangerous both to public discourse and to actual people.

The Canary is terrifying. It's a reminder if we ever needed one that mindless paranoia affects the entire political spectrum.

According to these types of surveys and polls, Remain won the UK referendum.

Not quite. According to those types of surveys and polls, Remain and Leave were within the margin of error of each other. People simply made the mistake of only considering the point-estimates, but not the uncertainty involved, much like you are doing right now.

This calculator might help you understand how this works:
http://www.comres.co.uk/our-work/margin-of-error-calculator/

For example, for the Danish poll, which involved more than a thousand people quizzed, we would expect a margin of error of ~3%, much less than the observed decrease in Danes supporting Denmark leaving the EU (9%).

Uzzy

That's it's pretty undemocratic and we should at the very least have a general election following the new prime minister being installed?

I'm all for some pretty root and branch constitutional reform, moving to a Mixed Member Constituency system for Parliament, a more federal UK, abolition of the House of Lords etc. But I wasn't asked that question on the ballot paper, so I couldn't vote for it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not to mention that many of the polls were right. TNS called it perfectly, Opinium called it Leave 51 Remain 49 which is only 1 point off. It's been really annoying me people slagging off the polls this time because they actually did pretty well. You can't just use the one company that done fuck up (ComRES) and use that to accuse the rest.

Not to mention that many of the polls were right. TNS called it perfectly, Opinium called it Leave 51 Remain 49 which is only 1 point off. It's been really annoying me people slagging off the polls this time because they actually did pretty well. You can't just use the one company that done fuck up (ComRES) and use that to accuse the rest.

The thing is remain likely were ahead at the end, polls show a snapshot at that time, however earlier leave was well ahead and crucially during postal voting which among the elderly is very high meant even though remain caught up, it just wasn't enough to overturn the lead that leave had accrued during the previous two weeks.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Nicknaming it 'Brexit' was the biggest catastrophe of this referendum.
You bring up words like that and more people will go out to vote. More voters is fine, but the name doesn't indicate just how important this is, and what it entails. And it's already geared toward the 'exit' option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom