• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

It hit 1.29994. That is bellow 1.300. The shoe shall be eaten.
e:
LJeGUwv.png

accel

Actually, if everyone eats a pair of British shoes or promises to do so in the future, the pound will go back up.

Wvrs

About to go interrailing in two weeks, have had to change my budget thanks to this stupid referendum and the pound-euro drop.

When is someone going to stand up and make a stand against this? Leave was a campaign based on lies, the three poster-boys have left the sinking ship knowing they'll be safe in their millions, and invoking Article 50 looks set to drag us into economic ruin.

Surely sovereignty of elected Parliament trumps tyranny of the undereducated masses? Not saying that everyone who voted leave was uninformed, but enough were that it changed the tide of the result.

DiGiKerot

About to go interrailing in two weeks, have had to change my budget thanks to this stupid referendum and the pound-euro drop.

I feel you, man. I'm about to leave the US, so my credit card is going to be charged for my hotelling today of all days. I weep looking at what's happening right now.

(And I'm back here in a month. Got some major re-budgeting to do tomorrow...)

Surely sovereignty of elected Parliament trumps tyranny of the undereducated masses? Not saying that everyone who voted leave was uninformed, but enough were that it changed the tide of the result.

For many, including my own local MP, the referendum is the most direct form of democracy possible, and therefore if we hold ourselves as a nation to value democracy, the will of the people, etc, that means respecting the referendum result over their own sense of the situation.

Even if their constituents voted to Remain.

Like with my local MP.

That exchange rate, jesus.

I'm wondering what will happen around Christmas. That's when the small town retail services industry is going to crash and burn as the recession, cuts and job losses for the middle class start to 'trickle down'.

While all the exchange rates and share price shocks are currently hurting the middle/upper classes, a lot of disenfranchised leave voters are practically cheering it on, since they don't feel the damage.
A tough Christmas and retail job/hours cuts will disproportionately hurt the predominantly 'leave' voting demographic. I wonder if people will be so enthusiastic about leaving in the new year.

I have a relative who voted leave and is trying to sell a house (not his own). I doubt he feels so good about it now. I bet everyone is gazundering like crazy at the moment - if they aren't pulling out of sales completely.

oti

Banned
I'm purposely avoiding this. It'll simultaneously make me depressed and angry.

I stopped after 20ish minutes.

Fishers who think they can fish as much as they want now.
"School leavers" (people who didn't finish school I guess) who thought "why not vote leave" and think this will open doors for them.
A woman who said she wants the UK to be able to say who is allowed to get into the country and who isn't, only to point out 30 seconds later that the vote was not about immigration.
A young "artist" (#teamremain) from Brighton (which seems to be like the British Portland or something) who makes good points but comes off... weird.
And a Leave voter who in hindsight thinks that maybe they shouldn't have had a referendum.

FUN TIMES

Lego Boss

Mark Carney is currently running the country.

Surely he is briefing MPs on the sheer seppuku that following through with this plebiscite will result in.

I stopped after 20ish minutes.

Fishers who think they can fish as much as they want now.
"School leavers" (people who didn't finish school I guess) who thought "why not vote leave" and think this will open doors for them.
A woman who said she wants the UK to be able to say who is allowed to get into the country and who isn't, only to point out 30 seconds later that the vote was not about immigration.
A young "artist" (#teamremain) from Brighton (which seems to be like the British Portland or something) who makes good points but comes off... weird.
And a Leave voter who in hindsight thinks that maybe they shouldn't have had a referendum.

FUN TIMES

That sums up Brighton pretty well. Very alternative and quirky, and very left-wing. They have a Green Party MP, which really is quite something. She's fab.

Joni

Leave [ ]
Remain [ ]
David Cameron to eat his shoes, live on the BBC [ ]

...it could have been a very different result.

It would be 64 million votes David Cameron to eat his shoe, 2 votes for Remain because Cameron has the support of his wife, and one person voting Leave

kmag

That exchange rate, jesus.

I'm wondering what will happen around Christmas. That's when the small town retail services industry is going to crash and burn as the recession, cuts and job losses for the middle class start to 'trickle down'.

While all the exchange rates and share price shocks are currently hurting the middle/upper classes, a lot of disenfranchised leave voters are practically cheering it on, since they don't feel the damage.
A tough Christmas and retail job/hours cuts will disproportionately hurt the predominantly 'leave' voting demographic. I wonder if people will be so enthusiastic about leaving in the new year.

I have a relative who voted leave and is trying to sell a house (not his own). I doubt he feels so good about it now. I bet everyone is gazundering like crazy at the moment - if they aren't pulling out of sales completely.

The UK imports about 40% of it's food. The poor will feel it in about 3 weeks when the supermarkets hedged currency runs out and the prices of the weekly shop go up.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The irony of this is of course that EU migrants tend to be financially secure.

Why do the poor vote like this?

The UK imports about 60% of it's food. The poor will feel it in about 3 weeks when the supermarkets hedged currency runs out and the prices of the weekly shop go up.

From what I can find that number is 40% - 60% is what's grown here. But yeah, you can see it in some of the most basic things, as I realised over the last year. Tesco stocks grapes from South Africa, and frozen sweetcorn from France and Hungary (in the same bag). Domestic farmers were having trouble making profits to begin with as well, so if we're increasingly reliant on them while the pound's value drops, stuff will be more expensive.

Edit: Just saw you fixed that. Apologies.

Audioboxer

Here is the result of the first round of MPs’ voting on the next Conservative leader:

May: 165
Leadsom: 66
Gove: 48
Crabb: 34
Fox: 16

Liam Fox is therefore eliminated. We don’t yet know whether any other candidates intend to withdraw, or whether all four will proceed to the second round of voting on Thursday.

http://www.conservativehome.com/parl...165-votes.html

It's honestly the most depressing line of candidates ever. I don't think anything good can ever come out of the Tory party. Complete and utter trainwreck of a group of individuals.

I've hated Cameron since before he was PM and now I'm actually gonna miss him. It's a fucking horrible feeling.

The fact Gove can even get nearly 50 people to support him is depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom