• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I would love to say I didn't recognize what's happening to the UK right now but it actually reminds me of the post-Thatcher years, where the country had been almost objectively strip-mined and ruined by the Tories, on purpose, and instead of rejecting them, they embraced John Major for what appeared to be a simple sense of continuity.

The weird inversion however, is seeing The City aligning with Scotland and the remain folks, instead of cheerleading a watered-down, rain-soaked parody of the American dream.

Chinner

Banned
I would love to say I didn't recognize what's happening to the UK right now but it actually reminds me of the post-Thatcher years, where the country had been almost objectively strip-mined and ruined by the Tories, on purpose, and instead of rejecting them, they embraced John Major for what appeared to be a simple sense of continuity.

The weird inversion however, is seeing The City aligning with Scotland and the remain folks, instead of cheerleading a watered-down, rain-soaked parody of the American dream.
Please save me Frankie. I will write scripts for food.

mclem

The referendum should have just had a third option

Protest

-.-

6QQsDn1.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Speculation that May could send supporters to vote for Leadsom so as to prevent Gove reaching the final ballot.

Why would she do that? Even Conservative party members don't like Gove much. Leadsom is a bigger challenge to May.

Why would she do that? Even Conservative party members don't like Gove much. Leadsom is a bigger challenge to May.

Maybe because it'd make the party look like a joke. Gove right now is epitomising the edges of the party that were calling to leave for 'The Queen and St. George', and having him campaign for the next couple months might drag everyone down with him. I feel she wants to avoid a huge circus for now.

Britain’s vote for Brexit has triggered a surge in support for the EU in traditionally Eurosceptic countries seeking to avoid the "mess" the UK has been left in.

[...], especially in Denmark where 69 per cent of Danes now back membership – up from 59.8 per cent before the vote.

Meanwhile, support in Finland for EU membership rose sharply from 56 to 68 per cent after the Brexit vote, another poll showed.

And in Sweden, backing for the union was up from 49 per cent to 52 per cent - meaning it is now the majority view - according to a third survey.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...t-for-eu-in-eurosceptic-nations-a3288071.html

BibiMaghoo

May is a monster. She has lent 30 MP's to back Gove to ensure he is in the final two, knowing the public won't vote for him.

Jisgsaw

Maybe because it'd make the party look like a joke. Gove right now is epitomising the edges of the party that were calling to leave for 'The Queen and St. George', and having him campaign for the next couple months might drag everyone down with him. I feel she wants to avoid a huge circus for now.

I think it's a bit late for that...

By the way, I just watched Christopher Waltz views on Farage and the Brexit on a related video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3RvsBnxTEY

I laughed.

I laughed too.
Then I read some comments, and laughed harder.
Then I realized those comments were serious...

Lime

Ucchedavāda;209221164 said:

In regards to Denmark: I still think the media are treating the narrative of our local UKIP and neo-racists way too soft. It's more like an analysis of strategies than it is an evaluation of how fucked up it is in the UK and how Denmark likewise suffer from both short-sighted racism and populist nationalism that make voters be blind to what they are voting on.

E.g. the Danish population voted No to being part of the European Judicial Charter for some dumb fucking reason last year and it was the exact same situation with people voting blindly because of racism and illusions of sovereignty. The right-winged lied and didn't actually state what it was about and said that there would be plan if Denmark voted no. Yet nothing fucking happened and now Denmark is worse off when it comes to coordinating with EUROPOL and other intelligence agencies. Luckily only something to do with judicial practices.

Anyway, here at home the media and the politicians are being way too soft on this issue as if they are waiting on what's going to happen and where the votes will move towards before they say anything about UK and EU. The media meanwhile are only analyzing this as some sort of strategic win by Leave, and a strategic failure by Remain, and how those strategies would look in a Danish context.

BraXzy

Jesus the pound is going so low. I'm going on holiday on mid august and planning on taking about £250 worth of euro's... should i swap them now or hope something gives it a bump?

Jesus the pound is going so low. I'm going on holiday on mid august and planning on taking about £250 worth of euro's... should i swap them now or hope something gives it a bump?

I expect it to go a bit lower still which would suggest you should do the exchange ASAP but who the fuck knows what's going to happen between then and now if the last week and a half is any indication. So the best option is probably to do it soon if it's convenient but don't bother if it's a hassle.

Now I think, I'm going to Japan in 2 weeks.
I think I'm going to buy yens tomorrow before things became worst -___-

Most of the people in this video are complete twats. Ignorant and stupid. You can say whatever you like about the media spreading lies - and that is true - but at the end of the day they can only be blamed for their lack of critical thinking skills. The internet is there to see all the evidence for themselves.

Double-edged sword the net. It makes dumb people think they're smart.

Already seen a bunch of dullards posting about The Rock getting arrested for HGH for example. They read it and automatically believe it.

So unless you can control the the flow of information, there is no help for these people.

Mr. Sam

It might recover slightly from this current slump over the next couple of days but its ultimate trajectory seems to be down. I'd say grab it the next time it rises or levels out (i.e. soon).

Chinner

Banned
Double-edged sword the net. It makes dumb people think they're smart.

Already seen a bunch of dullards posting about The Rock getting arrested for HGH for example. They read it and automatically believe it.

So unless you can control the the flow of information, there is no help for these people.
MGS2 is really coming true.

We need a S3 program to stop us from destroying ourselves.

As we found out today even Liam Fox thinks Gove is a mental case.

Yeah true, but I thought he would go for Leadsom but I guess he reckons as I do, would only split the country and Tory party more than already. Besides I doubt her eccentric performance at hustings did her any favours.

Hazzuh

I can imagine many wings of the party don't want Leadsom to get on the final ballot. Feel like Gove will be ahead of her in the end.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If May wins there's still a chance we can row back from Brexit. If Leadsom wins, the evil timeliness triumphs. I never thought I'd cheer for May, but boy does she have my support now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Fox backing May was surprising, politically he's closer to Gove and Leadsom.

If May wins there's still a chance we can row back from Brexit. If Leadsom wins, the evil timeliness triumphs. I never thought I'd cheer for May, but boy does she have my support now.

Yeah Leadsom is a bit of a loony, could be a Corbyn like decision and if Labour get sorted the end of the Tories in 2020. I cannot see the members even although the are pro Brexit risking that. I personally hope they do pick Leadsom, because it will be eye opening to the public how inexperienced and naive she is, the EU will trample on us and given all the shit I keep hearing about ignoring bankers and experts would be funny when they realise it's an ex banker leading the UK.

Best

Yeah Leadsom is a bit of a loony, could be a Corbyn like decision and if Labour get sorted the end of the Tories in 2020. I cannot see the members even although the are pro Brexit risking that. I personally hope they do pick Leadsom, because it will be eye opening to the public how inexperienced and naive she is, the EU will trample on us and given all the shit I keep hearing about ignoring bankers and experts would be funny when they realise it's an ex banker leading the UK.

She's not even a banker though. Her 'high flying city career' has been debunked. She's the living embodiment of the bullshit Leave campaign.

Micael

While no one can predict the future, considering what is happening, it's hard to imagine it going up by any significant amount, even if it magically stops going down right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom