• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micael

The thing is remain likely were ahead at the end, polls show a snapshot at that time, however earlier leave was well ahead and crucially during postal voting which among the elderly is very high meant even though remain caught up, it just wasn't enough to overturn the lead that leave had accrued during the previous two weeks.

Also should be said that the very display of the polls can easily change the outcome.

Tagg9

Hey guys, my friend and I have been arguing on and off for the last several days about the Brexit vote. My friend wholeheartedly believes that leaving the EU is the best option, with practically zero downsides.

Are there any convincing YouTube videos I could show him that might cause him to change his mind? I've given up reasoning based on what I know.

gerg

Hey guys, my friend and I have been arguing on and off for the last several days about the Brexit vote. My friend wholeheartedly believes that leaving the EU is the best option, with practically zero downsides.

Are there any convincing YouTube videos I could show him that might cause him to change his mind? I've given up reasoning based on what I know.

What specific arguments does he have for his belief? (As in, what does he value that he considers will be improved by leaving the EU?)

Jotaka

XdKCQnT.png

Tagg9

What specific arguments does he have for his belief? (As in, what does he value that he considers will be improved by leaving the EU?)

He thinks that the EU is overbearing and corrupt, and that members of the EU are not beholden to pass laws that are in Britain's best interest. He also firmly believes that the UK should kick out all immigrants.

He's apparently a big fan of Douglas Murray.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

This video by Professor Michael Dougan from the University of Liverpool is a pretty good very general video about problems with how the Leave campaign was both conducted and what consequences it has now that it has won. However, it's probably a bit dry for some people and, like gerg asked, it would probably be more efficient if you mentioned some specific concerns your friend has and you addressed those instead.

gerg

He thinks that the EU is overbearing

Depending on who you ask a lot of people might not disagree with this. The left will fault the EU for its imposition of austerity, for example, while individual countries within the EU would benefit from changes to its structure of policy that currently benefit others. But I think it is best to challenge this not so much by saying that the EU as a whole isn't overbearing, but that it is perhaps more accurate to suggest that the structure of the EU (as it currently exists) allows it to favour certain countries over others. (So, Germany benefits from a strong Euro while Italy might benefit from a cheap Euro; similarly, countries in Eastern Europe might have interests more closely aligned with those of Britain that are presently ignored in favour of those held by Germany and France.)

[Edit: Regarding Britain specifically, it is also the case that it is Britain that has the most opt-outs to EU membership conditions compared to others.)

and corrupt

This is not true, but is probably best exemplified by a comparison with similar structures and governments. But here by "corrupt" your friend might be implicitly stating some kind of anti-establishment or anti-elite sentiment.

and that members of the EU are not beholden to pass laws that are in Britain's best interest.

Again, this isn't necessarily untrue, nor unique to Britain within the EU. But that is the point of the EU: countries sacrifice a certain degree of autonomy in the belief that collective action will benefit them more than acting individually might. (You will gain more commerce if you can make one deal for 300 million people than six deals for 50 million people each.) It is ultimately a question of whether the positives outweigh the negatives.

He also firmly believes that the UK should kick out all immigrants.

At this point you could stress the importance (both economically and culturally) immigrants play within British life, but I imagine that this belief is not unrelated to other concerns. If it has been caused by a feeling of the deterioration of public services then you'd want to highlight how often it is UK government policy that most actively and acutely diminishes them.

Nicknaming it 'Brexit' was the biggest catastrophe of this referendum.
You bring up words like that and more people will go out to vote. More voters is fine, but the name doesn't indicate just how important this is, and what it entails. And it's already geared toward the 'exit' option.

What do you want to call it? "The Battle of European Union?" "The Last Stand?" "The Federal Referendum?"

Tagg9

Depending on who you ask a lot of people might not disagree with this. The left will fault the EU for its imposition of austerity, for example, while individual countries within the EU would benefit from changes to its structure of policy that currently benefit others. But I think it is best to challenge this not so much by saying that the EU as a whole isn't overbearing, but that it is perhaps more accurate to suggest that the structure of the EU (as it currently exists) allows it to favour certain countries over others. (So, Germany benefits from a strong Euro while Italy might benefit from a cheap Euro; similarly, countries in Eastern Europe might have interests more closely aligned with those of Britain that are presently ignored in favour of those held by Germany and France.)

[Edit: Regarding Britain specifically, it is also the case that it is Britain that has the most opt-outs to EU membership conditions compared to others.)

This is not true, but is probably best exemplified by a comparison with similar structures and governments. But here by "corrupt" your friend might be implicitly stating some kind of anti-establishment or anti-elite sentiment.

Again, this isn't necessarily untrue, nor unique to Britain within the EU. But that is the point of the EU: countries sacrifice a certain degree of autonomy in the belief that collective action will benefit them more than acting individually might. (You will gain more commerce if you can make one deal for 300 million people than six deals for 50 million people each.) It is ultimately a question of whether the positives outweigh the negatives.

At this point you could stress the importance (both economically and culturally) immigrants play within British life, but I imagine that this belief is not unrelated to other concerns. If it has been caused by a feeling of the deterioration of public services then you'd want to highlight how often it is UK government policy that most actively and acutely diminishes them.

Thank you for the in-depth response! I really appreciate it.

This video by Professor Michael Dougan from the University of Liverpool is a pretty good very general video about problems with how the Leave campaign was both conducted and what consequences it has now that it has won. However, it's probably a bit dry for some people and, like gerg asked, it would probably be more efficient if you mentioned some specific concerns your friend has and you addressed those instead.

Something something sounds like a expert part of project fear...

Kathian

Banned
On the Today programme Huw van Steenis, head of European banks research at Morgan Stanley, is asked why Bank of England Governor Mark Carney is focusing on the banks.

He "wants to ensure that banks are part of the solution, not part of the problem", Mr van Steenis says.

During the financial crisis banks simply were not resilient enough, whereas these days they have more reserves and are better funded, he adds.

But is there likely to be demand for banks' extra lending capacity? "I imagine demand will be somewhat lacklustre."

Ouch.

WaterAstro

It's actually more worrying that the yen is benefiting from the pound dropping. We thought the industry might be affected by the pound, but a high yen is going to be more troublesome.

kmag

1.28963 at the moment.

How low can you go? How low can you go?

We're lucky that the oil price isn't shooting up because we'd be talking about massive amounts of inflationary pressure hitting the system over the next couple of months. At the moment the inflationary pressure is only going to be large, and in the current circumstances I doubt that wages will come anywhere near to matching.

Chittagong

Gold Member
1.28963 at the moment.

We're lucky that the oil price isn't shooting up because we'd be talking about massive amounts of inflationary pressure hitting the system over the next couple of months. At the moment the inflationary pressure is only going to be large, and in the current circumstances I doubt that wages will come anywhere near to matching.

Wow, it broke through 1.30, that was a pretty significant support level. My buy order is at 1.25, I don't expect it to go much lower than 1.20.

slider

1.28963 at the moment.

After a recent trip I found thirty dollars in my wallet. Not gonna change them back cos I'll lose money! Helps that I'll be travelling again soon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Havel needs to eat his shoes as of 22:53 yesterday. At 2:05 this morning the pound was less than 1% away from its lowest ever value since 1792, but backed off a little.

But we're fine, guys, we're fine. It's not like this isn't even the worst because quite a few US investors don't even think we'll trigger Article 50; we're all good here.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's also worth noting tht the US and UK governments only stopped interfering with the pound-GBP float in 1992, with the late 80s/early 90s affected by the Plaza Accord. So this is really the worst ever open market value.

Kabouter

Yes it would be autocracy . ( just like now but ''open'')

As much as I would disagree with a decision to not go forward with the result of the referendum, a consultative referendum not being acted upon as if binding and the democratically elected parliament rejecting its outcome is an incredibly long way from autocracy.

kmag

It's probably going to stablise at $1.30ish for a bit, but it's only going to take another bad indicator (and unfortunately it looks like there's going to be a shit ton incoming over the next couple of weeks or months) for it to go down.

A.edrerai

Banned
As much as I would disagree with a decision to not go forward with the result of the referendum, a consultative referendum not being acted upon as if binding and the democratically elected parliament rejecting its outcome is an incredibly long way from autocracy.
There is allways the fear of precedence in this antitrust eu climate , in other circumstances the parlament could had nullifeid it with other more subtle way .
And the number of people who vote it make it very dangerous to temper with the results .
I personaly would liked a referendum which asked more direct vote for the technocrats of Bruxelles because the political climate at least in Germany , Greece , Italy is not looking very bright toward the europarlament and especialy toward the other institutions whom peopel dont even know that exist . I think this could had helped all the eu not only Britain .

accel

What I can make so far of the two future options:

* May - the worst fear is that under her we just exit the EU into a sub-EU (EEA) and live there until the next crisis;

* Leadsom - the worst fear is that we exit fast, oh, yeah, and by doing that fast and mindlessly we just lose too much.

Not a good choice.

Kabouter

There is allways the fear of precedence in this antitrust eu climate , in other circumstances the parlament could had nullifeid it with other more subtle way .
And the number of people who vote it make it very dangerous to temper with the results .
I personaly would liked a referendum which asked more direct vote for the technocrats of Bruxelles because the political climate at least in Germany , Greece , Italy is not looking very bright toward the europarlament and especialy toward the other institutions whom peopel dont even know that exist . I think this could had helped all the eu not only Britain .

I mean, I would prefer it if the European parliament was simply put in a supreme position within the EU rather than the European Council (the heads of government) being such. Additionally, I would prefer the European parliament being elected in a single election with proportional representation rather than the ridiculous per country voting. It would vastly improve the transparency of the EU. That however is the exact opposite of what most people opposed to European unity desire.

I also don't disagree with the additional trust that would be lost by going against the result of the referendum. In fact, that is why I oppose going against it. That said, using the term autocracy is absolutely absurd. By rejecting the result of one referendum, Britain does not turn into Tsarist Russia.

A.edrerai

Banned
I mean, I would prefer it if the European parliament was simply put in a supreme position within the EU rather than the European Council (the heads of government) being such. Additionally, I would prefer the European parliament being elected in a single election with proportional representation rather than the ridiculous per country voting. It would vastly improve the transparency of the EU. That however is the exact opposite of what most people opposed to European unity desire.

I also don't disagree with the additional trust that would be lost by going against the result of the referendum. In fact, that is why I oppose going against it. That said, using the term autocracy is absolutely absurd. By rejecting the result of one referendum, Britain does not turn into Tsarist Russia.
Of course your right i'm just trying to see the things from the other spectrum .
The worst part of it is that so many people actualy bealive that europarlament is ruling in autocratic way .
I hope with the british vote all eu and europe take action toward better informing people what eu acctualy is because there is a very very deep misconception at the moment before taking political action which need so long time to implement .

What I can make so far of the two future options:

* May - the worst fear is that under her we just exit the EU into a sub-EU (EEA) and live there until the next crisis;

* Leadsom - the worst fear is that we exit fast, oh, yeah, and by doing that fast and mindlessly we just lose too much.

Not a good choice.

I fear those are probably the only outcomes as we won't get a better deal :(

Uzzy

Still don't get why the UK has to leave. It was just a referendum no?

Would it be so bad if the government didn't listen.

The Government pledged to honour the result. It'd do lasting damage to democracy in this country if that pledge was broken.

Not to mention that many of the polls were right. TNS called it perfectly, Opinium called it Leave 51 Remain 49 which is only 1 point off. It's been really annoying me people slagging off the polls this time because they actually did pretty well. You can't just use the one company that done fuck up (ComRES) and use that to accuse the rest.

Also the Quiche system is two for two now on recent referenda!

It's probably going to stablise at $1.30ish for a bit, but it's only going to take another bad indicator (and unfortunately it looks like there's going to be a shit ton incoming over the next couple of weeks or months) for it to go down.
The service sector PMI was reasonably robust, but it basically only covered pre-Brexit. So the next release in August will be a test. Although I'm sure something in the interim could set it tumbling.

pigeon

Banned
The Government pledged to honour the result. It'd do lasting damage to democracy in this country if that pledge was broken.

Do you worry that there would be lasting damage to democracy caused by the government taking an action foreseeably and visibly destructive to its own citizens because they voted for it?

Genuine question.

It would be pretty bad if they ignored the referendum. Just not quite as bad as leaving the EU.
I'm not convinced the consequences for ignoring the referendum would be any worse than whatever happens once it sinks into leave voters skulls that they're not getting any of the things they believed they were being promised anyway, so why throw the entire country onto a bonfire for no reason whatsoever?

Since when has a government breaking promises not been completely par for the course? I reckon a good portion of leave voters ticked their box, got warm fuzzy feelings once they learned that they 'had their country back', and have since forgotten all about it. Whether or not the government actually goes through with it probably hasn't crossed their mind.

I'm not convinced the consequences for ignoring the referendum would be any worse than whatever happens once it sinks into leave voters skulls that they're not getting any of the things they believed they were being promised anyway, so why throw the entire country onto a bonfire for no reason whatsoever?

Selfish politicians, they care more about themselves than the people and country. Causing riots would be political suicide, so they wont dismiss the referendum outright. People calm down and forget to be angry after a while though so maybe they'll try the wait and see approach.
Actually going through with leaving the EU would probably be the easiest way for them, lot's of people get what they have voted for, the other side is reasonable enough to not light up the city streets over this and the negative effects this will have wont be felt immediably. So when the public realises that this was a bad idea overall, they (the politicians) are out of the deep water and (maybe) still in power.

StayDead

I really hope we don't leave. If politicians throw the country off a cliff to save their own bacon (in the short term, in the long term they'll be looked at negatively) then there's something really wrong with humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom