• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
When said democracy involves duping voters into believing outrageous lies, sure I’ll take economy any day. A more democratic exercise would be to hold a second referendum. At least voters are more aware now and they can’t peddle the same lies twice.

You just gave the better reason for rethinking it all. Lies. The tendency to see everything through economics is really dragging the modern world down.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Street sweepers could greatly benefit from a less regulated UK in which people could be able to dispose of their feces by throwing them through the window and into the streets.

There you go, here's an example of regulatory hurdles holding down employment.

We seriously need to start fining people for spreading all those lies and stuff about EU regulations. How people can keep getting away with that bullshit is getting beyond me at the moment. 99% of complaints people have against the EU seem to be about either totally reasonable regulation that is just framed in a ridiculous way by anti-EU people, or blaming the EU for the failings of the own local government. All that stuff people spread around as part of the Leave campaign should be investigated as fraud.

Individual people can say what they want. It is the tabloids deliberately lying to further the political and financial ambitions of their owners that seems to be the more illegal thing to me.

People can say what they want. It is the tabloids deliberately lying to further the political and economic ambitions of their owners that seems to be the more illegal thing to me.
You're right, that is what I mean. Media and politicians should be held accountable if they are clearly lying and throwing bullshit out there they know is wrong.

Rodelero

If the vote was between staying in the EU and your ideal exit plan, then you could perhaps argue for voting Leave. Instead, you've voted for no plan at all, you've voted for the breaking up of the United Kingdom, the decimation of the opposition, a massive rightward shift of British politics, and an undemocratically elected Prime Minister.

mclem

We seriously need to start fining people for spreading all those lies and stuff about EU regulations. How people can keep getting away with that bullshit is getting beyond me at the moment. 99% of complaints people have against the EU seem to be about either totally reasonable regulation that is just framed in a ridiculous way by anti-EU people, or blaming the EU for the failings of the own local government. All that stuff people spread around as part of the Leave campaign should be investigated as fraud.

I think that's the thing I find the most obnoxious, really; I don't think I'd be that bothered if I'd perceived the Leave campaign as honest; lots of people disagreed with me, fair enough, they made a decision based on a similar understanding. But I simply do not have that perception, and as such it feels like a travesty of democracy.

I think that's the thing I find the most obnoxious, really; I don't think I'd be that bothered if I'd perceived the Leave campaign as honest; lots of people disagreed with me, fair enough, they made a decision based on a similar understanding. But I simply do not have that perception, and as such it feels like a travesty of democracy.

But the behaviour of the tabloids seems (from my POV) to come up against incitement to racial hatred. I am of course thinking of the slandering of EU migrants and the encouragement of the leave tabloids towards division and intolerance.

It is incredible to me that they're allowed to do it.

And that is excluding the other nonsense that is clearly an extension of the personal whims of Murdoch and other executives.

*Splinter

Street sweepers could greatly benefit from a less regulated UK in which people could be able to dispose of their feces by throwing them through the window and into the streets.

There you go, here's an example of regulatory hurdles holding down employment.
Can't argue with that

...But who will sweep our streets when we've sent all the immigrants back?

accel

If the vote was between staying in the EU and your ideal exit plan, then you could perhaps argue for voting Leave. Instead, you've voted for no plan at all, you've voted for the breaking up of the United Kingdom, the decimation of the opposition, a massive rightward shift of British politics, and an undemocratically elected Prime Minister.

Yes, you have a point (apparently I voted for no plan at all in that the politics didn't ever think they'd have to actually Leave).

SKINNER!

Banned
lol, second referendum. Then what was the point in having the first one? Woops! We picked the wrong box. Let's have a second referendum so we can pick the right one?Just seems so...undemocratic.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
lol, second referendum. Then what was the point in having the first one? Woops! We picked the wrong box. Let's have a second referendum so we can pick the right one?Just seems so...undemocratic.

The first referendum was a mistake to begin with. And yes, a lot of people clearly did not realize that by voting leave, the country would crash and burn. The leaders that plunged them into this hellhole are now nowhere to be seen. How's that for democracy?

SKINNER!

Banned
The first referendum was a mistake to begin with. And yes, a lot of people clearly did not realize that by voting leave, the country would crash and burn. The leaders that plunged them into this hellhole are now nowhere to be seen. How's that for democracy?

Then just reverse the choice or nullify the first referendum? Why go for a second one?

Farage wants to help others with "independence". Sorry, can only find a Dutch source: http://nos.nl/artikel/2115719-farage-ik-ga-andere-landen-helpen-met-onafhankelijkheid.html

He seems to want to help groups in other countries that want out of the EU.

Funny that, having someone from another country trying to decide what your country has to do, isn't it Farage?

So we aren't getting rid of him for the foreseeable future it seems.

...what sort of person despises the purpose of the EU?
Arms dealers or something I'm guessing.

If one vote is democratic, then surely two votes must be twice as democratic! You are not opposed to more democracy, are you?

;)

This has already been discussed to death. If the realities of an EU exit change people's minds then they should be given the opportunity to express that.

In my opinion it is as valid as "Are you sure you want to delete that?" window that appears on your computer.

Kabouter

Racists/nationalists.

Fuck better understanding of and greater cooperation with other nations.

Well, to quote the purpose of the EU more precisely:

Robert Schuman said:
By pooling basic production and by instituting a new High Authority, whose decisions will bind France, Germany and other member countries, this proposal will lead to the realization of the first concrete foundation of a European federation indispensable to the preservation of peace.

I think it's perfectly fine to disagree with the method chosen, but to despise the purpose of it? Who despises an attempt to secure peace? Well, apart from like, fascists and stuff.

Zomba13

This has already been discussed to death. If the realities of an EU exit change people's minds then they should be given the opportunity to express that.

In my opinion it is as valid as "Are you sure you want to delete that?" window that appears on your computer.

What should happen is the computer lies to you about what is being deleted and then once you delete it the OS just goes "lol, I'm done. GG" and just leaves you with DOS or something.

I think that people basing their decisions on blatant lies the first time around isn't a bad reason for a second referendum. It'll never happen though.

hodgy100

I've said it before. a seccond vote is dumb. Id be tempted to vote leave jsut because that was the outcome of the last one and im opposed to circumventing democracy by repeatedly trying till they get the "right" answer.

if we got the wrong answer then jsut say so. admit the referendum was a mistake, that leaving the EU will have massive consequences on the country and that we can't realistically achieve an actual leave. Look into why people are angry enough that we have ended up in this position and tackle the issues.

Coming clean is the right thing to do to avoid screwing over the country. but it won't happen because they care more about their electability than doing the right thing :/

SomTervo

That pound...

Our currency is becoming worthless.

Dollar was 1.27 earlier.

latest

accel

What's the ideal trade deal in your opinion? And what's the realistic trade deal that would be OK for you?

In the short term, going to EEA and accepting free movement of people (limiting it as much as possible) as a temporary solution. Then staying there for some years working out a better agreement / structure for the future.

In the short term, going to EEA and accepting free movement of people (limiting it as much as possible) as a temporary solution. Then staying there for some years working out a better agreement / structure for the future.
What is this better agreement?

And how do you limit free movement? If it is limited, it is not free movement anymore.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There's no EEA without free movement of people.

So how long do you estimate you need to be in EU without any power of decision (EEA)? What about the financial passport, as this is not in EEA, what can you give in exchange?

accel

What is this better agreement?

And how do you limit free movement? If it is limited, it is not free movement anymore.

The agreement between the EU and the UK-out-of-EU. Your next question is, I think, why I suppose it's going to be better, that's a long topic at the corner of which is, again, being more efficient outside of the EU.

Free movement can be limited Liechtenstein-style. Yes, that would have to be negotiated hard.

There's no EEA without free movement of people.

So how long do you estimate you need to be in EU without any power of decision (EEA)? What about the financial passport, as this is not in EEA, what can you give in exchange?

EEA without free movement of people is subject to negotiation.

As to how long in the EEA until a better solution, it obviously depends. I'd aim for 4-5 years.

toff74

I may be super ignorant in this, but if Labour get in at the next general election (before article 50 is signed!), can thy disregard referendum saying it was a Conservative led idea and a complete balls up?

Maybe there were virtually no prominent labour MP's through the campaigning for a reason.

This would also mean that they would have to get their house in order, which I doubt will happen any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom