• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

Lot of the younger generation seem to bemoan that they will lose the chance to work and live on the continent - yet relatively few Brits took that opportunity while they had it. Now that they have lost it though ... In a way it is a bit like backwards compatibility in consoles. :D
Any numbers to back this up or are you just making strawmen for fun?

accel

Would that necessarily be a bad thing, get a nice vote of no confidence in as it all falls apart, force a GE and then through some mass level of prayer, fingers crossing, and sacrificing to whatever powers that be the Lib Dems get in power and stop this whole EU leaving farce dead in its tracks?

It could happen right?

Right......

;_; ...

Suppose this actually happens and as a result of GE (or whatever other political perturbation, really, it doesn't matter) the UK stays in the EU.

Will this solve anything? Be honest.

I don't think it will. What, will people be suddenly fine with immigrants with whom they aren't fine now (no matter how many of the reasons are true)? Will they be suddenly fine with regulations done in the name of some other EU members, with not being able to even in theory strike trade deals of their own, with being dependent on the EU in many areas where it appears to be slow and relatively inept? Will they be OK with the EU extending areas where they have control / influence and talking about things like the EU army? No, they won't.

I know that your answer is probably that the world is a complex thing and there are pros and cons that should be weighed. This is true. But many of these pros and cons you can't even weigh, because they are a moving target. Tomorrow the EU does another thing and the balance changes, can get better, can get worse, can't weigh that. And the over-arching problem is that people don't feel like they can influence that, they feel that they've been more in control when it was just the UK and all other countries were some distance away and didn't meddle. The EU has largely discredited itself or at least that's the perception, and that was mirrored in those 52% that the vote had. And I don't think it can get better with time, because the EU is... well, the EU. It rules from some ivory towers and it is slow.

So, all that would happen if the UK by some miracle stayed in the EU is that the issues that created the Leave vote would be swept under the rug for some time. In my opinion.

Also, and not insignificantly, "immigrants".

I'd argue that's the biggest difference between Scotland and UK leave campaigns.
(Plus calling the UK government incompetent is rather more justified than calling the EU "unelected".

Thanks Audio/ferrar/Crab for the responses, that aligns with what I was thinking.

Yeah immigration is much more needed here, the Scottish population is falling when you exclude migrants. Yeah and it's more the incompetent nature of Westminster government that concerns me, no plans for Brexit and such showing utter chaos down there. If Westminster had a more balanced nature about it, I wouldn't be so pro independence as I am now, but the constant pandering to middle England, and the Daily Mail and Express campaigns leading to the persecution of the poor and disabled finally took its toll on me. I'd rather Scottish political figures made all our choices now, not just the ones siphoned off to Holyrood.

I can't believe we are in a situation where I WANT Theresa May as prime minister.
This are fucking crazy times.
Oh sorry Theresa, I said fuck on the internet I know you're reading this and I can only apologise for that and my thought crimes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The EU literally can't take a decision the UK doesn't want due to the veto. The ECJ is a bit more problematic, but ultimately a lot of that is down to the UK not being smart enough to veto laws it later doesn't like. Scotland has no such veto.

Exactly. Scotland's influence over the UK is/was weaker than the UK's over the EU.

Lot of the younger generation seem to bemoan that they will lose the chance to work and live on the continent - yet relatively few Brits took that opportunity while they had it. Now that they have lost it though ... In a way it is a bit like backwards compatibility in consoles. :D

I did it, as did my wife. Sure, not many people did, but it was great for a fair few of us.

iitUs5w.jpg

Audioboxer

Sure. I can totally see your POV. Point I was making is that "Leave" campaign was very similar. Take back authority from Brussels. Don't let bureaucrats you didn't vote for make decisions on your behalf. etc.

Well the difference is we have a bit of faith in our Government up here to give an independent country to lol.

England votes to give the country back to London and London MP's step-down and it's chaos.

Plus the immigration bullshit has never been an issue for Scotland.

So really leave the UK campaign has been nowhere near as toxic as leave the EU.

Beefy

Non binding but they put a motion to assure EU nationals of their rights in this country and the result was 242 - 2.

May already losing.

Micael

Suppose this actually happens and as a result of GE (or whatever other political perturbation, really, it doesn't matter) the UK stays in the EU.

Will this solve anything? Be honest.

I don't think it will. What, will people be suddenly fine with immigrants with whom they aren't fine now (no matter how many of the reasons are true)? Will they be suddenly fine with regulations done in the name of some other EU members, with not being able to even in theory strike trade deals of their own, with being dependent on the EU in many areas where it appears to be slow and relatively inept? Will they be OK with the EU extending areas where they have control / influence and talking about things like the EU army? No, they won't.

Unless the UK fully leaves (aka no EEA), most of those things won't change, the thing that changes is the UK loses it's significant saying on what happens and doesn't happen.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think if you told everyone that facebook access would be revoked because we are no longer part of the EU:

a. People would believe it;
b. There would be riots within hours demanding we stay in the EU;

Sad state of affairs all round.

Auctopus

Oliver Letwin in charge of Brexit negotiations

So I'm not familiar with this guy but given that the comments, which are usually partisan mudslinging, are in complete agreement that he's a total nitwit I guess this is bad?

Letwin recommended the Prime Minister to "use Scotland as a trail-blazer for the pure residence charge", i.e. the controversial Community Charge or 'Poll tax', having trialled it there first, and to implement it nationwide should "the exemplifications prove... it is feasible."

in December 2015 showed Letwin's response to the Broadwater Farm riot, which blamed the violence on the "bad moral attitudes" of the predominantly Afro-Caribbean rioters

It also criticised some of the schemes proposed to address inner-city problems, suggesting David Young's proposed scheme to support black entrepreneurs would founder because the money would be spent on the "disco and drug trade”. Letwin later apologised, saying that parts of the memo had been "both badly worded and wrong."[

Letwin coauthored Britain's biggest enterprise: ideas for radical reform of the NHS, a 1988 Centre for Policy Studies pamphlet written with John Redwood which advocated a closer relationship between the National Health Service and the private sector.

The Daily Telegraph reported in 2009 that Letwin agreed to repay a bill for £2,145 for replacing a leaking pipe under the tennis court at his constituency home in Dorset, which he had claimed on his parliamentary expenses.[30]

In October 2011 the Daily Mirror reported a story that Letwin had thrown away more than 100 secret government documents in public bins in St. James's Park, with no real care to dispose of them properly

popo

Any numbers to back this up or are you just making strawmen for fun?

There were an estimated 1.2 million UK-born people living in other EU countries in 2015.

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-uk-citizens-live-other-eu-countries/

Population breakdown figures are a little harder but population working age (15-65) figures from 2014 are 42 million. Now I said "younger generation". Say 18-40. We are going to have to estimate here but I think 20 million is fair, maybe a little on the low side.

http://www.indexmundi.com/united_kingdom/demographics_profile.html

So I think it a fair comment that only a minority of the younger generation (a maximum of 1.2m out of 20m) are currently taking advantage of the free movement of labour. Likely to be a lot less than 1.2m as we don't know how many of those can be considered young. 1.2m out of 42m are the only hard figures.

Zemm

I can't believe we are in a situation where I WANT Theresa May as prime minister.
This are fucking crazy times.
Oh sorry Theresa, I said fuck on the internet I know you're reading this and I can only apologise for that and my thought crimes.

This is the true travesty. I mean it's someone who wants to remove our human rights and spy on our internet messages versus someone who thinks gay marriage is bad and wants to bring fox hunting back. Jesus Christ. Fuck this country.

An independent Scotland would almost certainly be worse off. Scotland is even more economically interdependent with the UK than the UK is with the EU; if Scotland decided to join the EU post-independence it'd be even worse because they'd be trading with the UK at EU rates (which will be shite) instead of being able to negotiate their own.

I don't think the argument re: Scottish independence is having a stronger economy, it's more like "we never, ever get our own way, ever; and you lot make really shite decisions". The UK exerts a lot of influence in the EU; I'd say relatively more than Scotland exerts within the UK. I mean, put another way, the UK is/was 12.5% of the population of the EU; Scotland is 8% of the UK.

For sure. Scotland is fucked inside a Theresa May/Leadsom UK as well though since we need immigration to keep the age demographics anywhere close to sustainable over the next 50 years. To be fair we contributed quite a bit to the UK budget over the last couple of decades thanks to the oil so in a sense it's our "turn" to depend on the rUK to pay back the favour, but with the way things are going I fully expect Scotland's deficit to become a political issue soon if we stay so that's unlikely to work out.

Independence would require massive austerity in the short term but there are also good reasons to believe it could work out quite well in the medium and longer term. Many of the young, highly mobile immigrants who have contributed much of the recent UK GDP growth by moving to London would be more likely to choose Scotland in a future where we are part of the EU and England is not. Similarly there is a decent chance to attract some of the investment that will look for alternatives to London in the future - Edinburgh and Glasgow will make up the single largest English-speaking conurbation in the EU if England leaves and is already very international with some very competitive universities and a highly educated workforce (Glasgow has a considerably higher proportion of degree-level educated inhabitants than Manchester or Birmingham and Edinburgh is even higher), good connectivity to the rest of Europe through two large international airports, and two decently sized finance districts. Glasgow's finance district and life sciences sector have been expanding rapidly over the last 15 years and Edinburgh is comfortably the second richest city in the UK after London so it's not like we would be starting from scratch.

There are also some short-term effects that would slightly soften the immediate blow e.g. tourism is already over 5% of GDP and could benefit from a weaker economy.

I voted no mainly because of economic reasons and the EU the last time, this time the EU is a no-brainer and the economic argument is a lot clearer (in that there's no point in shouting about oil any more). Since everything is up in the air regarding England I think it's better to choose a path which guarantees some pain in the short term but also offers interesting possibilities in the future than stay in a union which could end up being better but also could end up being completely shit, with effectively no say in the matter.

*Splinter

There were an estimated 1.2 million UK-born people living in other EU countries in 2015.

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-uk-citizens-live-other-eu-countries/

Population breakdown figures are a little harder but population working age (15-65) figures from 2014 are 42 million. Now I said "younger generation". Say 18-40. We are going to have to estimate here but I think 20 million is fair, maybe a little on the low side.

http://www.indexmundi.com/united_kingdom/demographics_profile.html

So I think it a fair comment that only a minority of the younger generation (a maximum of 1.2m out of 20m) are currently taking advantage of the free movement of labour. Likely to be a lot less than 1.2m as we don't know how many of those can be considered young. 1.2m out of 42m are the only hard figures.
I don't doubt that part - in fact 1 in 20 is higher than I expected.

I doubt that more than 1 in 20 young people have complained about not being able to move to the EU.

Jezbollah

If true, basically what I suspected. Tories are going to move far right to appeal to the UKIP demographic.

Given that it's most likely from the Leadsom side (if it's not fake) then it should be no surprise. However I've read a while back that there has been some natural gravitation of UKIP membership back to the Conservatives as soon as the Leave vote was announced...

But any new Tory leader would be trying to park the bus in the UKIP demographic - for much the same reason Cameron put a referendum in the last election manifesto in the first place.

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...nt-homophobes-and-ones-about-to-a7125131.html

Take a look at Theresa May who, in 1998, voted against equalising the age of consent for gay sex. That’s the same Theresa May who voted against repealing Section 28 - legislation that banned the “promotion” of homosexuality by local government and schools. She said no to same sex adoption, no to civil partnerships, and she didn’t once bother to turn up to vote on the Gender Recognition Act either.

In her time at the Home Office, policies have been put in place which forced LGBT asylum seekers to “prove” their sexuality, some allegedly through intimate photos and videos of same-sex sexual activity. Others were told that they couldn’t be gay simply because they had children.

Andrea Leadsom is the final contender, and despite only being elected to Parliament in 2010, she’s already managed to flex her anti-gay credentials. She too failed to vote in favour of same sex marriage, and has said that straight couples should have priority over gay ones when it comes to adopting children. Today on ITV News she clarified that she was “not happy” about the gay marriage law because of “hurt caused to many Christians”. Marriage, she continued, should have remained “as a Christian service that was for men and women who wanted to commit in the eyes of God”.

Her proudest supporter, Brexit blond bombshell Boris Johnson, has compared same sex marriage to men marrying dogs, and argued that the repealing of Section 28 would allow “left-wing local authorities to waste taxpayers’ money on idiotic and homosexual instruction”. Ah, that lovable clown.

kmag

Some people (mostly Brexiteers) having been saying that a low pound is good for the export market. Unfortunately while that might be the case for some exporters, in terms of the balance of payments there's no clear link, the pound peaked against the dollar at 1.70odd in 2014 and has been decreasing since then, the trade imbalance hasn't really reflected the pounds movement.

haTOKDL.png

Pandy

Unless Sturgeon can persuade Merkel to pump £15bn into Scotland each year, Scotland's going nowhere and the SNP know it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon/12189037/Scotland-runs-up-15bn-deficit-twice-size-of-UKs.html
The EU was always a useful comfort blanket for the SNP, leave the uk but no chance of restrictions between Scotland and England, that's out the window now.

Even assuming those figures are correct, Merkel wasn't pumping £73.5bn into the UK each year either.

If you're still taking newspaper headlines at face value, you really have learned nothing from all this.

EDIT: My figure was from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt, for reference.

Rourkey

Even assuming those figures are correct, Merkel wasn't pumping £73.5bn into the UK each year either.

If you're still taking newspaper headlines at face value, you really have learned nothing from all this.

EDIT: My figure was from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt, for reference.

They are the scottish governments own figures, the U.K. Deficit is now below 4% (although will surely rise with brexit) while Scotland's was 9.7%, there is no way a small new country with no track record could borrow that sort of cash on the markets for long, it would lead to massive austerity

Kathian

Banned
Supposedly Boris was dumped by Gove because he forgot a letter for Leadsom. Now Boris is backing Leadsom and Gove is choking on his own poison.

Clearly a devilish plot!

Pandy

They are the scottish governments own figures, the U.K. Deficit is now below 4% (although will surely rise with brexit) while Scotland's was 9.7%, there is no way a small new country with no track record could borrow that sort of cash on the markets for long, it would lead to massive austerity

The accuracy of the GERS figures are up for some debate, but that's not particularly relevant to the point you're raising except for the general scale.

The current scale of Scotland's notional 'National debt' as part of the UK is worthless because the finances of an independent Scotland would be arranged quite differently within a relatively few years. Not paying for nukes, investing in renewable energy, possibly setting up an oil fund (if the price ever goes up again). Those policy ideas could totally change under a non-SNP governement too. Being so small, and apparently so poor, an EU member might actual mean Scotland is a net beneficiary of EU membership, which would lighten the debt load somewhat.
The real number could be higher or lower but, an extreme fluke of mathematics aside, it isn't that number.

That's almost a side-issue though as the bolded part of your comment is speculation based on nothing. What examples do you have? Anything relevant or just some more wheeze comparing Scotland being run as a component part of the UK to the UK as a whole? What other nations have entered the world debt market in similar circumstances and what was the outcome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom