• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

Considering Gove likened the N.Ireland peace process to Nazi appeasement, then not really, I'm glad he's not in contention.

Not happy with May or Leadsom either in fairness.
Gove wouldn't win. Leadsom might, and looks the most likely to do lasting damage.

May is a nightmare and the best option we've got.

Given our new awesome trading position of 'an island nation with no major natural resources but a nice accent' I think it's more likely that we'll become the chief source of China's replacement organs.
Soylent Green is made out of British! :eek:

The comments seem sort of weird considering how the Opium wars and Elizabethan-era trade are seen in China, and how much bitterness there still is towards the West for colonialism.

If anything, now that the UK is isolated from the rest of Europe, I'd expect China to finally get back at Great Britain for all the economic bullying it endured a couple of centuries ago. I can't imagine China would go for a deal that's fair and favorable to the UK, especially considering how attractive the narrative of "giving it to the foreigners" would be politically in China.

Good point. A while ago I read that the core idea behind China's national identity is this sense that they've been humiliated throughout history by other nations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_of_humiliation
There's no such thing as an innocent country, but I agree that I can see China still harbouring some grudges from the past. Ironically I only just started watching some stuff on the opium wars just this week XD

Beefy

So, Leadsom, the racist homophobe, versus May, who thinks the racist homophobe isn't racist enough, being soft on those foreign criminals.

Whoever wins, we lose. Fuck this country.

But.... we are moving with the times with having a lady in charge!

accel

Regarding ladies getting to the forefront with men falling all around, this reminds me of the just finished season of Game of Thrones. Same deal.

Beefy

@benrileysmith

2020 election will be Andrea Leadsom vs Jeremy Corbyn, Tory MP Peter Bone predicts. [Deep breath.]

Gay marriage re-vote?

Madchad

So what happens when both candidates are "unelectable"?
nigel-farage-ukip-paint-face-567861.jpg

AHA-Lambda

I can't tell who I hate more May or Leadsom

May is practically Big Brother personified but at least she has a stern competence about her and she was Remain

And Leadsom is just seemingly on another planet. Idk much about her but I hated how she came across on the tv debate with Boris. Comically and infuriatingly peddling "take back control" with every point.

Oh fuck Sturgeon save us

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
May is gonna win. It's not even close. People just don't like the little backstabbing weasel Gove so any non-May votes went to Leadsom.

May is practically Big Brother personified but at least she has a stern competence about her and she was Remain

And Leadsom is just seemingly on another planet. Idk much about her but I hated how she came across on the tv debate with Boris. Comically and infuriatingly peddling "take back control" with every point.

Oh fuck Sturgeon save us

Whoever wins will go down badly up here in Scotland, should move a few percent more toward independence. The Fox hunting and Gay hostility will not exactly appeal to the Scottish people with the exception of a very small minority of nutters. If Leadsom wins I expect a heavy swing toward independence as she clearly is a complete fruitcake.

Beefy

Oh fuck Sturgeon save us

It's:

May:
Racist
Hates privacy
Hates human rights.

Leadsom:
Racist
Homophobe
Crazy religious
Liar
Thinks Brexit will put the great back into Great Britain.
Wants Fox hunting to be legal.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's crazy to think in less than two weeks we've seen the fall of Cameron, Osborne (PM in waiting), Boris, Gove and Farage yet somehow Corbyn is still the Labour leader. Nothing makes sense.

Nothing, except now you have to pay for the privilege of being in the common market with much less of a voice in Europe now.

Oh, does being in the EEA mean you still can't make your own FTAs with other countries? I figured that was only a limitation to those actually in the EU :eek:

edit: Not that we have an actual functioning number of negotiators we could make FTAs with, but I'm thinking of this from the point of view of a fantasy world where we'd been given a choice the government had actually prepared for both outcomes of, instead of folding like a poorly made house of cards when the referendum went for the option they didn't plan for.

nicjac

Slightly off-topic but I assume many people are in my situation in this threat.

I have a dual Swiss / French nationality and I have been living in London (first studying, now working) since 2009. My wife is British and as we are planning to stay in the UK for a while (we bought a flat 2 years ago and have good careers), I am going to apply for British naturalisation.

However, the requirements are very confusing and different documents appear to contradict each other. For instance, as my wife is British, I only need to have lived in the UK for three years before I can apply (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen). However, it also states that I need to have been granted "indefinite leave to stay", which apparently is only granted to EEA immigrants after five years. So which is it, three or five years?

This is important as I need to provide proof of heal insurance during my stay. If the stay requirement is three years, this is not an issue as I have been working for that long (and thus paid national insurance). But if it is five years, I will need to get some kind of letter from my Swiss insurance which I know will be a huge pain in the ass.

Anyone been through this before?

What people seem to be forgetting about May is that she has survived an astonishing number of sackable fuckups purely because Cameron was unwaveringly loyal to his big beasts.

Immigration, Border Control, Passports, riots. All of this is going to be thrown at May by the bucketful.

Who?
Will be the general response to the mention of his name come election... as it is now.

Same as Clegg in 2010.

There was a chap I was talking to earlier who said that Farron would come across as a likeable and earnest lightweight in a TV debate. I responded that I think likeable and earnest are what Britain needs right now.

bring back nick clegg

NO D:

No more Orange Book Liberals for the time being. We've had our fill. They can come back once we've recovered from our-MPs-can-fit-in-a-minivan land.

cilonen

May the horse be with you.

Never been a better time to get on the smack.

"....and my first act as Prime Minister May will be to replace the fluorine in the water supply with high quality opiates to help prepare the country for what's coming."

accel

So what would the actual benefits be of EEA membership instead of EU membership?

It's useful as an intermediate step towards exiting. The benefits are that the UK can stay there while it prepares to exit further (it takes a long time to untangle the products of being in EU for so long).

7aged

There's no such thing as an innocent country, but I agree that I can see China still harbouring some grudges from the past. Ironically I only just started watching some stuff on the opium wars just this week XD

China's first demand would be a British isle to a establish a Chinese trading mission in. We can call it new Hong Kong.

Can sturgeon not do a reverse takeover of the UK from Scotland?

A glorious revolution where Queen Nicola is awarded the English crown by a grateful England!

What a time to be alive

accel

Oh, does being in the EEA mean you still can't make your own FTAs with other countries? I figured that was only a limitation to those actually in the EU :eek:

edit: Not that we have an actual functioning number of negotiators we could make FTAs with, but I'm thinking of this from the point of view of a fantasy world where we'd been given a choice the government had actually prepared for both outcomes of, instead of folding like a poorly made house of cards when the referendum went for the option they didn't plan for.

If you are in EFTA (commonly paired with EEA, because EEA agreement is between EU and non-EU members of EFTA), you negotiate FTAs with other countries through that, but you have your own trading policy. Norway, for example, has a preferential tariff agreement with the US, a good deal on fish trade (important to Norway) with China, etc.

Walshicus

It's useful as an intermediate step towards exiting. The benefits are that the UK can stay there while it prepares to exit further (it takes a long time to untangle the products of being in EU for so long).

What? No. You don't end up in the EEA as a stepping stone to what, further irrelevance. You end up in the EEA because you want the benefits of EU membership but can't convince the electorate.

Exit further... Bloody hell man what are you talking about.

accel

What? No. You don't end up in the EEA as a stepping stone to what, further irrelevance. You end up in the EEA because you want the benefits of EU membership but can't convince the electorate.

You voted Remain, I gather. Others voted Leave.

Damn straight.

The thing is, we might have been able to get straight into the EEA if we came out and said "we want to switch to the deal that Norway have, appropriately scaled to the size of our economy".*

We have no chance at all when we say, "We want EEA access to the market, and our banking passport, and no free movement, and we don't want to be forced into adopting laws made by the EU or have any laws enforced by foreign ECJ/EFTA Courts. And all that in 2 years pls."

*Norway would probably veto this though, since they are the biggest fish in the EEA/EFTA system and probably don't want a huge economy/population like ours to come in and take over.

If the implication is that people who know economics (and aren't so old that they are out of their mind) have to vote Remain, my response is "OK".

Probably not "have to", but rather "are more likely to":

A poll commissioned for the Observer and carried out by Ipsos MORI, which drew responses from more than 600 economists, found 88% saying an exit from the EU and the single market would most likely damage Britain’s growth prospects over the next five years.

The economists were also overwhelmingly pessimistic about the long-term economic impact of leaving the EU and the single market. Some 72% said that a vote to leave would most likely have a negative impact on growth for 10-20 years.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron

You've no doubt already seen the polls that survey by age.

Bold One

Theresa May has no regard for human life, liberty, privacy or dignity, she will make Thatcher look like Mary Poppins, I am pretty certain she also has no soul.

We are definitely in the darkest timeline,

Ucchedavāda;209392566 said:
You've no doubt already seen the polls that survey by age.
I've seen those, but I've also seen the polls that said the younger you were the less likely you were to have even turned up at the polling station, nevermind vote one way or the other :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom