• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Everyone's reaction on Brexit/hearing the leadership candidates/imagining our right wing future
tumblr_o9votp6w8I1vxe3c9o1_400.gif

tumblr_o9zgtiwbvo1sp7tmro1_400.gif

57wwLxD.gif

Mr. Sam

No. The 1922 can nominate a candidate to contest now that May is sole contender. Don't think anyone will run, mind, so May will probably be PM as soon as the Queen is back from Scotland.

The part of the rules I read seemed to imply that this qualified as the parliamentary party only putting one candidate forward. At any rate, it's a moot point.

1992: "Fuck knows"

1992? Is that the millennial branch of the Tory party?

StayDead

At least she's now doing what is best for the country. Credit to her for that.

The sad thing is we're in a situation where May is the best option in the conservative party. A woman who is stubbonly saying Brexit is Brexit and wants to screw over the poor with more Austerity.

Hazzuh

Party members may not like comrade Corbyn, but the people do and getting rid of him will destroy the labour party for years to come. Take a look at the Tories after the fall of Maggie. The bitterness of that fall is evident for all to see, even leading to the end of the UK as we know it.

Labour members do like Corbyn. It's Labour MPs and Labour voters that don't like him. Keeping him will also destroy the party, that's the problem.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Daenerys Targaryen has claimed her Iron Throne.

Baybars

Banned
Party members may not like comrade Corbyn, but the people do and getting rid of him will destroy the labour party for years to come. Take a look at the Tories after the fall of Maggie. The bitterness of that fall is evident for all to see, even leading to the end of the UK as we know it.

The people? A third of those who voted labour last year are not going to be voting for labour if a general election is held today. The labour party of centrism is dead. Its been taken over by lunatic hard left who are more concerned with burn it down than governing actually.

Labour is dead

norinrad

The people? A third of those who voted labour last year are not going to be voting for labour if a general election is held today. The labour party of centrism is dead. Its been taken over by lunatic hard left who are more concerned with burn it down than governing actually.

Labour is dead

Time to welcome the Tories then? Interesting times, it's like following the Obsidian Order in Cardassia. Even the Klingon's were ok to work with looking at the scheme of things.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Labour is well and truly snookered. If May calls a snap election now, they won't have time to select a new leader. We'd see an absolute wipe-out.

The right has won. RIP Britannia.

AHA-Lambda

Right guys batten down the hatches.

Can't openly criticise her anymore.
She's probably already listening in...

uh, I mean... all hail glorious Big Brother May!

jelly

Labour is well and truly snookered. If May calls a snap election now, they won't have time to select a new leader. We'd see an absolute wipe-out.

What would be the point though, they still have 4 years or something of solid power. While it might be an easy win, bit risky people might just do a pissed off vote against the Tories.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the stern visage. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Sister.

May cannot call a snap election. She needs Labour's cooperation or significant rebels to get past the number needed.

My hunch is that the SNP would happily have an election soon, as would the LDs.

Uzzy

Maybe we should move all the May talk to one of the two(!) threads that have popped up about her becoming the next PM?

They quite clearly are compromising because of a common platform though; a centrist party that believes we should remain in the EU.

And I like that the notion that compromising with the left of the party isn't 'compromising for the good of the entire country', as though the left doesn't REALLY believe that a leftist platform is good for the country. How could they? They obviously just believe in being contrarian for the sake of it.

When the left is digging their heels between a Muppet like corybn regardless of if the wider electorate support it or not, it's their problem.

I don't think this is honestly a good idea right now as these things take decades to change the dynamic of poltics, but if labour has to die for the country to have a fighting chance, so be it.

Hasney

May cannot call a snap election. She needs Labour's cooperation or significant rebels to get past the number needed.

I think she has to at least call it to a vote at some point so she can go "At least I tried!". It's not something that would look like a bad defeat.

Meadows

Banned

why would the SNP benefit? they already have like every seat in Scotland right?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

No, she doesn't. The Fixed Term Parliament Act can be repealed by a simple majority. As long as there aren't a significant number of Conservative rebels, she can whip its repeal, and then the timing of the election goes back to being a royal prerogative.

The FTPA was purely something to hold the Coalition together because by themselves the Conservatives didn't have a majority and so couldn't repeal the act, so the Lib Dems could block Cameron from a snap election. It has absolutely no power over majority governments.

Tyaren

Don't really feel sorry for them:

Brexit towns see their factories shut

Towns that voted overwhelmingly in favour of leaving the EU are among the first victims of post-Brexit manufacturing job losses.

Last week Forterra, one of Britain’s biggest brick makers, said it would mothball plants in Accrington and Claughton, both in Lancashire, ahead of a potential downturn in construction. The towns are in boroughs that voted 66% and 63%, respectively, for Brexit.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-towns-see-their-factories-shut-xdsls56sl

Hasney

When the left is digging their heels between a Muppet like corybn regardless of if the wider electorate support it or not, it's their problem.

I don't think this is honestly a good idea right now as these things take decades to change the dynamic of poltics, but if labour has to die for the country to have a fighting chance, so be it.

Eh, if they want to take down Corbyn, they need someone better than Angela Eagle. I can't see her being any better.

klonere

Banned

Can't wait for Branson to get the go ahead to setup his NHS competitor.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

She can. All she needs is a bare majority to do a no confidence motion, and to trust that Labour would not, under any circumstances, vote for confidence in a Tory government.

Angela Eagle's local party will be having a general meeting in the next few days. Lots of new members signing up to support Corbyn (read: threaten deselection).

Given we (the LDs) won a couple more council seats in Liverpool recently, maybe she should consider defecting? We're much nicer than the Liverpool Labour Party. :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So May can be PM right away and no need to wait until September? Does she still plan to wait for article 50 until next year?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So now we have a PM who wasn't even elected to that position by her own party members?

Like it or not, this is how the parliamentary system works. We do not elect a PM, we elect a party. The party then follows their own rules for leadership selection. If the electorate chooses the Tories and the Tories say that May is their leader, then May is the PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom