• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The period between article 50 and a trade agreement being signed will presumably be the toughest period for the British economy for a long time. I doubt the Tories will want to blow everything up AGAIN and then have a general election on the ruins.

They are only implementing the will of the people. They will work hard to get the best deal for the working class in the North. The opposition party also agrees with this. UKIP is practically dead because it had nothing to fight for if UK is out of EU and a treaty is not yet signed. I'm not saying that they won't do it quicker if they can, but politically seems quite a good scenario considering the situation.

They are only implementing the will of the people. They will work hard to get the best deal for the working class in the North. The opposition party also agrees with this. UKIP is practically dead because it had nothing to fight for if UK is out of EU and a treaty is not yet signed. I'm not saying that they won't do it quicker if they can, but politically seems quite a good scenario considering the situation.
Oh god if only this were the case. If the UK leave the EU, then once it's clear that immigration won't be immediately reduced UKIP will push even further right.

SKINNER!

Banned
The lib dem 404 error page

ZkhzYAc.gif

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
No, but it plays an even smaller part in all the rest because the moment it stops being purely about HQs and starts being about factories etc., you end up with the problem of needing to be sufficiently appealing to draw people in away from areas that already have the infrastructure even more so than you did for an HQ move. That needs *big* reductions in corporation tax to have any noticeable attraction.

That's true so far as attracting people in goes, but there's a defensive element too. It'll take a smaller reduction in Corp tax to dissuade people from moving away than it will to persuade people to come in.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's true so far as attracting people in goes, but there's a defensive element too. It'll take a smaller reduction in Corp tax to dissuade people from moving away than it will to persuade people to come in.

This is true, actually, fair point.

The will of the people is a dicey thing for a political party. They'll tell you to do something and then throw you out, if it puts sustained downward pressure on their living standards.

pigeon

Banned
They are only implementing the will of the people.

This will be an excellent slogan for the next general.

THE CONSERVATIVE PARTY -- ONLY FOLLOWING BRITAIN'S ORDERS

I'm pretty sure the people actually wanted to get out of the EU and have a lot more money and better jobs and all the Poles sent home.

It will be fun explaining in the midst of trade negotiations why the Conservatives failed to deliver on that promise! "Because it's impossible" is not going to play super well.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Oh god if only this were the case. If the UK leave the EU, then once it's clear that immigration won't be immediately reduced UKIP will push even further right.

Yep.

For a party like UKIP this result is win-win. If we compromise too much to get a good deal, they'll say we defied the will of the people on immigration and sovereignty and that the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels are still running the show. If we don't compromise and go scorched Earth they'll blame the economic meltdown on the government not leveraging the power of the almighty GREAT BRITAIN to get those killer deals we're entitled to and then focus on the foreigners already here draining our infrastructure.

If Labour continue to implode UKIP will end up the opposition party on a platform of anti-intellectualism and bloke-down-the-pub rhetoric far beyond any of the shit we saw during the referendum campaign. Farage and that awful poster? That's not even their final form.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Indeed, but as I said, if a deal is still in the making Torries can go out there claiming that they try as much as possible to solve the immigration problem and that's why it's taking so long for a deal. Neither UKIP nor Labour can say "make some compromises to make it faster" considering current positions.

It will be fun explaining in the midst of trade negotiations why the Conservatives failed to deliver on that promise! "Because it's impossible" is not going to play super well.

It's not a failure, in 2020 they will be working so hard to fulfil the will of the people.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Indeed, but as I said, if a deal is still in the making Torries can go out there claiming that they try as much as possible to solve the immigration problem and that's why it's taking so long for a deal. Neither UKIP nor Labour can say "make some compromises to make it faster" considering current positions.

Neither the public nor UKIP will accept that as an answer though. UKIP are still very much riding the "They need us more than we need them, they'll throw amazing trade deals at us" rhetoric. You can absolutely count on them to stir shit up if this drags on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Neither the public nor UKIP will accept that as an answer though. UKIP are still very much riding the "They need us more than we need them, they'll throw amazing trade deals at us" rhetoric. You can absolutely count on them to stir shit up if this drags on.

Good luck with that rhetoric after more than 1 year of WTO tariffs.

EmiPrime

Yep.

For a party like UKIP this result is win-win. If we compromise too much to get a good deal, they'll say we defied the will of the people on immigration and sovereignty and that the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels are still running the show. If we don't compromise and go scorched Earth they'll blame the economic meltdown on the government not leveraging the power of the almighty GREAT BRITAIN to get those killer deals we're entitled to and then focus on the foreigners already here draining our infrastructure.

If Labour continue to implode UKIP will end up the opposition party on a platform of anti-intellectualism and bloke-down-the-pub rhetoric far beyond any of the shit we saw during the referendum campaign. Farage and that awful poster? That's not even their final form.

This is my greatest fear. There is no scenario in which UKIP doesn't turn a lot of those second places they got in last year's GE into seats in 2020 and becomes the third largest party in England even if Labour get their act together.

Part of me hopes that a new centrist party with moderate Tory MPs, pragmatic Labour MPs and what's left of the Lib Dems emerges from this and becomes the default party of governance and keeps us in the EU but politics is too tribal and too many seats are safe for that to happen.

*Splinter

This is my greatest fear. There is no scenario in which UKIP doesn't turn a lot of those second places they got in last year's GE into seats in 2020 and becomes the third largest party in England even if Labour get their act together.

Part of me hopes that a new centrist party with moderate Tory MPs, pragmatic Labour MPs and what's left of the Lib Dems emerges from this and becomes the default party of governance and keeps us in the EU but politics is too tribal and too many seats are safe for that to happen.
I think that dreamed died with Leadsom's leadership bid.

Tethur

Good luck with that rhetoric after more than 1 year of WTO tariffs.

If anything that would make it easier.

Brexit is a revolution of the British people. These foreign elements would see us broken.
They would deny us justice, they would enforce poverty upon us. Together in unity we will rise again! [hold for applause]

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If anything that would make it easier.

Brexit is a revolution of the British people. These foreign elements would see us broken.
They would deny us justice, they would enforce poverty upon us. Together in unity we will rise again! [hold for applause]

Nope. The whole point of that argument is that EU needs the deal more than UK. The more time passes on a standard deal and the EU doesn't come crawling that argument dies. Remember, this is under the assumption that a deal is in the making but not done yet. So the foreign elements haven't imposed anything yet on the proud free British people. Is the year 2020 and there is everything as UKIP wanted, UK out of EU and no freedom of movement. No trade agreement either, but who cares about those fat cats?

Nope. The whole point of that argument is that EU needs the deal more than UK. The more time passes on a standard deal and the EU doesn't come crawling that argument dies. Remember, this is under the assumption that a deal is in the making but not done yet. So the foreign elements haven't imposed anything yet on the proud free British people. Is the year 2020 and there is everything as UKIP wanted, UK out of EU and no freedom of movement. No trade agreement either, but who cares about those fat cats?
But it's not everything UKIP want...there are still people with funny names who have more than one language in the country...must be their fault!

PJV3

But it's not everything UKIP want...there are still foreigners in the country...must be their fault!

UKIP managed to tap anger that has been bottled up due to austerity, i don't see them managing it again.

A few years of shit and high prices is going to focus a few minds i think. I don't see support staying high when the glow of victory fades, they can't really promise anything.

The way i see it is that the worst part of Brexit is the UK weakening negotiating powers. There´s no way the UK can negotiate a deal that favors UK businesses or even even equal part negotiation with China, the EU, Russia, Brazil, India. IIRC China said about the results (maybe before the result) of Brexit is that the UK had now a weak negotiating position. The UK will have to make a deal with the EU without any benefits of being a member, ie, no decision making within the EU. The UK has weakened its position exponentially with regards to international markets and politics. It´s not the 19th century anymore where the UK was a world power. Half of the Brits have inflicted harm upon themselves and it their view of the UK being able to better negotiate with the world will backfire.

cabot

Switching to a new long-term fixed rate energy tariff was the first thing I did when the economy tanked.
Beating the stock market is not really possible, but moving faster than a utilities company isn't that hard.

I'm right with you, except British Gas hasn't halted my gas account and its sitting with £119 credit in there because they've been vastly overestimating my usage. They better sort it before debit day!

jelly

The way i see it is that the worst part of Brexit is the UK weakening negotiating powers. There´s no way the UK can negotiate a deal that favors UK businesses or even even equal part negotiation with China, the EU, Russia, Brazil, India. IIRC China said about the results (maybe before the result) of Brexit is that the UK had now a weak negotiating position. The UK will have to make a deal with the EU without any benefits of being a member, ie, no decision making within the EU. The UK has weakened its position exponentially with regards to international markets and politics. It´s not the 19th century anymore where the UK was a world power. Half of the Brits have inflicted harm upon themselves and it their view of the UK being able to better negotiate with the world will backfire.

Exactly. We are going to get absolutely nothing and will take what we are given and quite a few bad things as we bend over to get deals done. We are far stronger within the EU, now we will just be passed around like the village bicycle if anyone cares for a ride to begin with. Any terms we sign with countries will be a complete shit show for us and would could even be a risk to individual well being..

Exactly. We are going to get absolutely nothing and will take what we are given and quite a few bad things as we bend over to get deals done. We are far stronger within the EU, now we will just be passed around like the village bicycle if anyone cares for a ride to begin with. Any terms we sign with countries will be a complete shit show for us and would could even be a risk to individual well being..

A lot of leave voters don't care about complicated things like this, at least they 'took their country back' and 'got rid of the damn immigrants'.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ehhh, I can't see it happening. These debates happen all the time - remember the one about banning Trump from the UK? That statement from the Petition Committee makes it clear that they're not supporting a second referendum, nor does the debate have the power to change law or cause a new referendum. This thing is just for show.

house debates petition. Recommends changing the rules. Government proposes new rules requiring referenda on constitutional matters to require a 2/3 majority with 75%+ turnout. This then leads to heated questioning on why that wasn't also applied to the EU referendum, so they agree to rerun it (hey its just advisory after all)

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-ang...s-eu-market-while-curbing-immigration-1570123

No single market without free movement. Let's see if we'll do the smart thing and accept a Norway deal which is worse than the one we had as a full member. I want to remain but this would technically mean that 'the will of the people has been carried out'. Then we can ensure future constitutional referendums have a 60% margin for victory with a minimum turnout limit to avoid this stupidity.

DiGiKerot

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brexit-ang...s-eu-market-while-curbing-immigration-1570123

No single market without free movement. Let's see if we'll do the smart thing and accept a Norway deal which is worse than the one we had as a full member. I want to remain but this would technically mean that 'the will of the people has been carried out'. Then we can ensure future constitutional referendums have a 60% margin for victory with a minimum turnout limit to avoid this stupidity.

The more I accidentally get sucked into looking at the comments of these news stories, the more I realise that this country is completely delusional and that we are all completely screwed.

Oh, well. My parents had a good run, I guess.

Lucreto

Why did I ignored the warning on reading the comments. WHY!

It almost made me sign up just to rant to each one of those comments.

Seriously thinking that they buy more than they sell makes them hold all the cards in the negotiations. Also GERMAN CARZ!

As much as non Americans like to make fun of a lot the Republican base, we have just as many crazy, stupid people, judging by those comments.

Looking at the political landscape, it does appear that the United States is moving to moral liberalism, whereas Britain seems to be getting increasingly conservative. I can't really speak for our economic direction yet, since it seems like our own politicians have no idea what they are doing, let alone myself or any other observer.

Zaph

The more I accidentally get sucked into looking at the comments of these news stories, the more I realise that this country is completely delusional and that we are all completely screwed.

I think what hurts the most about all this is showing the world how stupid our country is.

Even as a minority, I could make peace with the xenophobia thing - at least with racism there is a perverse self-interest you can 'appreciate' - but stupidity? Yeah, that hurts.

Looking at the political landscape, it does appear that the United States is moving to moral liberalism, whereas Britain seems to be getting increasingly conservative. I can't really speak for our economic direction yet, since it seems like our own politicians have no idea what they are doing, let alone myself or any other observer.

Would be very interesting political history, if I didn't have to live with the consequences.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

if anything, I think the US and the UK are converging. The Democratic Party platform doesn't contain much at all the Conservatives would object to; the Democrats are marginally to the left of the Conservatives but I don't think the difference is especially significant. George Osborne already raised the living wage (to the equivalent of $10USD, but I would not be surprised if May increased it again as a coup de grace). The minimum wage is already indexed in the UK and the Conservatives do not oppose it.

The Conservatives don't typically support pro-union reforms, but all the union reforms mentioned in this year's Democratic manifesto are already standard law in the UK; there's no need to abolish "right to work" laws because they don't exist; similarly there is no forced arbitration.

The Conservatives already guarantee more paid leave after maternity than the Democrats actually offer, the same amount of sick leave.

You can go through the whole Democratic manifesto like this. The only things I could find in the Democratic manifesto that I think enough Conservatives would oppose to stop being law/not become law in the UK are:

Privatizing the UK postal service (which they already did)
Credit agency reforms
Millionaire surtax
Decriminalization of marijuana
Free community college (although Clinton's plan rather than the Dem platform specifically is very similar to the UK's current system, implemented by the Conservatives, so maybe not even this)

There's also a number of things even the UK Conservatives are in favour of that are politically non-viable in America - the NHS, for example (I mean, the Conservatives want to privatize parts of it, but making it a public insurance option is beyond all but the nuttiest of them).

So I don't think America is turning into some sort of liberal democracy or the UK into some moralistic hellhole; I think that broadly speaking, all Western countries are beginning to converge in terms of their political infrastructure and outlook as globalization ensures they look ever more similar and so call for ever more similar solutions.

nickcv

The people in the comment section are beyond delusional...

Their whole attitude is pretty much disgusting.

TrueBlue

I too ventured into the comment section.

Cripes.

Once again, brave Britain stands alone against a German dictator. I pray, come November, that the United States once again stand with its' dearest friend and truest ally. The fate of the free world lies in the balance

lol9 the comments are gold Jerry, gold!
depressing....

Burai

shitonmychest57
lol9 the comments are gold Jerry, gold!
depressing....

if it is a fact that the U K buys three times more from the E U than we sell to them.....common sense say's we have the edge. so if the E U want to deal with the U K it has to be on our term's. the singe market is not the be all and end all of doing business, there is the rest of the world.......mrs merkel, mr juncker.....it's up to you to accept our terms or lose out

Supply and demand, how does that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom