• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yea, how could the EU possibly survive without all those RR engines and Evoques?

To use the car analogy we buy far more cars from dealers than they buy from us, therefore it would make sense if a new VW Golf cost £2,000 and the dealer gave us £30,000 for a fifteen year old one.

But don't listen to the experts!!!!!!!!

daviyoung

Banned
is that why Corbyn is cosying up to Cuba? He wants to know their automobile maintenance secrets in case he has to keep his car another 40 years

Lach

uk-brexit-cat-wanting-to-go-out-no-longer-wants-to-go-out-once-door-is-open-gif-animation-simons-cat-fail.gif

I love the filename on this

kmag

Credit Suisse have been doing some polling of major businesses in the wake of Brexit. Not pretty reading at all

CnOX1CkXYAASFo9.jpg:small

CnOXT-XWgAAy_x5.jpg:small

ZWGrNQ4.png

This isn't going to be flashy reaction at least until a50 is invoked. Jobs just won't be created, investment won't happen or be quietly shelved. As most of the indicators lags, it'll have already largely happened by the time we find out about it.

Best

This isn't going to be flashy reaction at least until. Jobs just won't be created, investment won't happen or be quietly shelved. As most of the indicators lags, it'll have already largely happened by the time we find out about it.

Rather than some large economic shock where large numbers are unemployed overnight, what we'll experience is a gradual transition to a less prosperous economy. The danger here is that Joe Public might not even realise, I'm willing to bet that we are already in recession and yet the man in the street would hardly believe it. I think this is going to play into the hands of 'experts were wrong!!!' brigade.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This isn't going to be flashy reaction at least until a50 is invoked. Jobs just won't be created, investment won't happen or be quietly shelved. As most of the indicators lags, it'll have already largely happened by the time we find out about it.

This is why I don't understand why delaying to trigger Article 50 for next year is a good thing for anybody involved.

DiGiKerot

This is why I don't understand why delaying to trigger Article 50 for next year is a good thing for anybody involved.

Presumably because starting a process which will require not only intense exit discussions, but also significant local work in terms of things like ratifying replacement legislation for presently EU-enforced laws, is a bad idea before you have actually had a chance to get people in place and they've had a chance to prepare for the incoming typhoon of work, particularly when a lot of that work has a hard two-year deadline.

Our current government and civil service set-up is woefully unprepared for what is about to be dumped in them.

*Splinter

Because it's the point of no return. If there's any chance of finding a way out of this then Art 50 should continue to be delayed. Delaying hurts, but it's nothing compared to actually triggering it.

Edit: I guess the answer above mine are more realistic. Maybe I'm still being too optimistic.

is that why Corbyn is cosying up to Cuba? He wants to know their automobile maintenance secrets in case he has to keep his car another 40 years

He only owns a bicycle. Who would want to own a form of transport that might accidentally take them out of London and into the regions where the badmen live.

TheChaos0

Credit Suisse have been doing some polling of major businesses in the wake of Brexit. Not pretty reading at all

CnOX1CkXYAASFo9.jpg:small

CnOXT-XWgAAy_x5.jpg:small

ZWGrNQ4.png

I already know of a former colleague who lost a prospective job because the company froze all thr UK recruitment. Even the ones that were already agreed upon. They cancelled the position just before a contract could be signed. He has already left his previous job... Fun times.

Ucchedavāda;209836831 said:

It's a cute gif, and basically where we're at. The door is open, but we ain't going through it. Not until we're ready.

God knows when that will be though. We've basically done it backwards: decided we want to leave, and now we're figuring out how / if we can do it in a sensible way. One things for sure though, triggering Art. 50 and trying to sort things out in 2 years would be a really dumb move. I've got faith that May and co. realise this.

Zaph

[BBC] Wetherspoon's boss decries Brexit 'doom-mongering' - Leavers already getting their excuses ready (he was one of the few 'business leaders' pro-Brexit), apparently the "unprecedented and irresponsible doom-mongering... may lead to some kind of slowdown". One hell of a placebo effect.

Still remember laughing as I walked passed one of his pubs last month with signs reading "Brexit - only Wetherspoon can gather the facts for you".

Vauxhall is done. It will take an act of God to keep the Astra there. Toyota UK may also lose the Auris.

Ironically, production for both cars would be moved to... Poland.

One way to get rid of the immigrants - simultaneously make our country less desirable, while making their own more so.

Bleepey

Vauxhall is done. It will take an act of God to keep the Astra there. Toyota UK may also lose the Auris.

Ironically, production for both cars would be moved to... Poland.

Are there any Brexiters still arguing for it? I fear Brexit can give Theresa may can be the get out of Jail free card that's more powerful than Exodia.

Theresa May increases taxes?
Had to be done cos of Brexit
Increased austerity?
Brexit

Rinse wah and repeat and the thing is it's a legitimate excuse

Joni

The fact the Countryman is made in the United Kingdom explains a lot about my car, like the British flags on it or the fact it is not a good car.

[BBC] Wetherspoon's boss decries Brexit 'doom-mongering' - Leavers already getting their excuses ready (he was one of the few 'business leaders' pro-Brexit), apparently the "unprecedented and irresponsible doom-mongering... may lead to some kind of slowdown". One hell of a placebo effect.

Still remember laughing as I walked passed one of his pubs last month with signs reading "Brexit - only Wetherspoon can gather the facts for you".

Isn't it well documented that talking the economy down in the media basically causes, or at least exacerbates, a downturn in the economy? If you keep telling people that trouble is ahead, of course they'll stop spending. And then that causes more problems.

We should have giant telescreens showing that Farage "things are looking pretty good" clip over and over!

I mean, remember the Northern Rock thing? The news media basically caused a run on the bank. Charlie Brooker did a good piece on it where they're interviewing people in queues asking "Where do you think all this panic is coming from?". From you, you twats!

I love how BBC News have been showing live footage of Larry the Cat strolling around Downing Street.

We all know he really runs the show...

Tbh I imagine that Wetherspoons would do very well out of people having less money! They're the cheapest pubs around for people to drown their sorrows in.

Zaph

Isn't it well documented that talking the economy down in the media basically causes, or at least exacerbates, a downturn in the economy? If you keep telling people that trouble is ahead, of course they'll stop spending. And then that causes more problems.

We should have giant telescreens showing that Farage "things are looking pretty good" clip over and over!

I mean, remember the Northern Rock thing? The news media basically caused a run on the bank. Charlie Brooker did a good piece on it where they're interviewing people in queues asking "Where do you think all this panic is coming from?". From you, you twats!

Consumer spending is one thing, which can of course be influenced relatively easily, but you don't get factories shutting up shop, businesses planning HQ moves, and long-term investment/development projects shelved because of fearmongering. Unless of course the fear is driven by actual, substantial, and easily predictable challenges on the horizon.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Presumably because starting a process which will require not only intense exit discussions, but also significant local work in terms of things like ratifying replacement legislation for presently EU-enforced laws, is a bad idea before you have actually had a chance to get people in place and they've had a chance to prepare for the incoming typhoon of work, particularly when a lot of that work has a hard two-year deadline.

Our current government and civil service set-up is woefully unprepared for what is about to be dumped in them.

There's not much choice by all accounts, can't go into negotiations with no fucking clue what needs sorting out.

I know the reasons, but I don't understand the solution. It's not like these issues will be fixed starting with 1st of January, unless you import qualified personnel, because training it will take much longer than 1 year.

Because it's the point of no return. If there's any chance of finding a way out of this then Art 50 should continue to be delayed. Delaying hurts, but it's nothing compared to actually triggering it.

Edit: I guess the answer above mine are more realistic. Maybe I'm still being too optimistic.

There is no return at this point.

You don't just declare war, Jeremy. You prime the press, you square things with the UN, you make up your reasons.

You already declared war you're just postponing the fight while you don't have factories prepared for war production or capable training programs for the army.

Triggering Art. 50 basically hands all the power to the EU. Of course we're not doing it any time soon.

I thought you wanted out of EU. Now you want still a bit in?

Zaph

I know the reasons, but I don't understand the solution. It's not like these issues will be fixed starting with 1st of January, unless you import qualified personnel, because training it will take much longer than 1 year.

There is no return at this point.

You already declared war you're just postponing the fight while you don't have factories prepared for war production or capable training programs for the army.

I thought you wanted out of EU. Now you want still a bit in?

Really not sure what's so complicated - even if you're a dyed in the wool Leaver, 730 days is a pathetically short amount of time to navigate a highly complex, vague, and unprecedented process.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In other news Sturgeon met today with Picardo to discuss how they can work together to stay in EU. Can Gibraltar unite with Scotland? That would be funny and more gas on the Spanish fire.

Really not sure what's so complicated - even if you're a dyed in the wool Leaver, 730 days is a pathetically short amount of time to navigate a highly complex, vague, and unprecedented process.

So how long do you estimate it takes to trigger Article 50? I'm curious how much the British Economy can sunk even before starting the process.

We aimed for Churchill and ended up with Stalin.

Quite so. All the army commanders being self-purged.

Zaph

So how long do you estimate it takes to trigger Article 50? I'm curious how much the British Economy can sunk even before starting the process.

Ideally? Never. Most likely? Within a year

And the economic damage we're seeing is a barely significant fraction of what happens when we press the a50 button.

We aimed for Churchill and ended up with Stalin.

More like ending up with Mussolini.

God, this situation can't be reversed can it? Our only hope is a Norway deal, with continued access to the single market but a lot of our country apparently hates immigrants too much to care about the economy.

It took the leave campaigners (UKIP) 23 years to come up with no plan at all as what to do after deciding to leave the EU. You can't rush these things, I estimate it will take around 75 to 100 years until article 50 will be triggered.

It took the leave campaigners (UKIP) 23 years to come up with no plan at all as what to do after deciding to leave the EU. You can't rush these things, I estimate it will take around 75 to 100 years until article 50 will be triggered.

I'm hoping Art.50 never gets triggered until I finish a masters so I can GTFO of here.

Hazzuh

Some polling:

Westminster voting intention:
CON: 36% (+1)
LAB: 35% (+1)
LDEM: 11% (+2)
UKIP: 8% (-2)
GRN: 4% (-)
(via Ipsos Mori / 09 - 11 Jul)

Also, this is what people mean when they talk about dissatisfaction with the political class:

CnPdYgCW8AEzzuS.jpg:large

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That 42% "Don't Know" for Tim Farron.

Lib Dems cannot into relevance.

MilkyJoe

More like ending up with Mussolini.

God, this situation can't be reversed can it? Our only hope is a Norway deal, with continued access to the single market but a lot of our country apparently hates immigrants too much to care about the economy.

Don't be a bell.

I didn't vote out, but you don't have to be a right winger to know the word "capacity"

That 42% "Don't Know" for Tim Farron.

Lib Dems cannot into relevance.

I'm guessing they have no idea who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom