• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

Don't be silly, kids can't afford to ever move out now.

You joke, I had to move 50 miles outside of London and our joint wages are, according to

http://www.ifs.org.uk/wheredoyoufitin/

Taking into account household size and composition (click here to see how), we have calculated your position in the income distribution. With a household after tax income of �******* per week, you have a higher income than around 98% of the population - equivalent to about 61.7 million individuals.

Which fucking sucks cause I seldom see my friends an family

DiGiKerot

But people will not move to the remote places as there is no work. And you are right. The south needs to be left be and the North and Midlands needs investing. Take Boris Island, WTF does London need another airport for? Chuck it in the Midlands and join it to London with a high speed rail link if needs be and encourage a financial district up yonder. Things will be better for everyone that way.

So much this. Honestly, I'd have to imagine if you decreased the need for anyone going further than Europe to need to travel into Heathrow to get a sensible flight, then Heathrows capacity problems would at least partially solve themselves. I waste so much goddamn time having to fly down south just to get a flight to the US on the days I need to fly.

I don't think the remote living is as big an issue as you think presuming it's not too remote, as most brownsites tend to be. As long as there's commuter links (or at least roads), people are willing to commute to work. Being in Northumberland, I know folks who drive an hour each way a day to get into work. It's not actually that much of a deal breaker as long as housing is available and affordable.

MilkyJoe

So much this. Honestly, I'd have to imagine if you decreased the need for anyone going further than Europe to need to travel into Heathrow to get a sensible flight, then Heathrows capacity problems would at least partially solve themselves. I waste so much goddamn time having to fly down south just to get a flight to the US on the days I need to fly.

I don't think the remote living is as big an issue as you think presuming it's not too remote, as most brownsites tend to be. As long as there's commuter links (or at least roads), people are willing to commute to work. Being in Northumberland, I know folks who drive an hour each way a day to get into work. It's not actually that much of a deal breaker as long as housing is available and affordable.

Oh you'd have to have the commuter links, my commute is 3 hours a day, people do what they have to, but when you take into account stopping at stations and people getting on and off, an hour sitting on a train doesn't take you that far sometimes.

Beefy

Robert Buckland MP – Verified account ‏@RobertBuckland

On the day @David_Cameron leaves office, he leaves a country in a better condition than when he arrived & with a legacy of radical reform

On the day @David_Cameron leaves office, he leaves a country in a better condition than when he arrived & with a legacy of radical reform

Unsure.gif

MrChom

I'd love the Midlands to have some proper investment. I could move back home rather than be trapped in the South where I can't afford a home, but it's also the only place where I can get a decent tech job.

Successive governments have failed me. They crippled the Midlands, they made it attractive for tech startups to be in the M4 corridor, and they kept on allowing more and more money to be pumped into housing.

It's similar government failures that have people talking about capacity. We don't build enough homes, our current housing regulations say we have the smallest homes in Europe, we make ATROCIOUS use of the land we have, our road network is renewed and reviewed at a GLACIAL pace, our rail network has almost no central direction, our health service is seeing stealth cut after stealth cut, and the government has committed a gross abdication of responsibility with education by basically saying "We can't be bothered, can you set a school up for us?".

Continual over investment in the South has left a lot of bitter Midland/Northern/Scottish/Welsh/and Northern Irish sentiment to a load of Eton lads who seem to have a jolly old time of it. We're the sixth biggest economy in the world and a proper plan could be fixing this. But no, instead we've had 30 years of saying "Well if you want a job move south", and now we're reaping the disaster that's causing to our infrastructure.

It makes me so angry for blame to be so easily transferred from government to immigrants, benefit recipients, and basically anyone else vulnerable.

Mr. Sam

Trolling should ideally be more subtle.

Stuart444

I wonder if he was able to keep a straight face while typing that.

I still haven't come to terms with the reality that is Brexit. I keep thinking I'll wake up and this was all a bad dream. The Norway model is wishful thinking on my part, perhaps the Swiss one would be more likely. Nevertheless, I think free movement will have to stay.

PJV3

I still haven't come to terms with the reality that is Brexit. I keep thinking I'll wake up and this was all a bad dream. The Norway model is wishful thinking on my part, perhaps the Swiss one would be more likely. Nevertheless, I think free movement will have to stay.

Ha ha ha.

You is well fucked.

Stuart444

Except this time Palpatine will win in the end.

Well the Emperor won for a good few years. Since Luke was Born. He didn't win in the end, but he had a good run :p

What I'm trying to say is... give it 18 or so years (whatever age Luke was by the end of the original trilogy lol) :p and then we'll see who wins.
Possibly Palpatine in which case you'll be right ;_;

kmag

Sounds like Grayling is getting minister of Brexit. Hammond Chancellor and Greening Foreign.

Grayling was considered probably the most incompetent minister ever seen by civil servants when he was at Justice.

Meadows

Banned
Sounds like Grayling is getting minister of Brexit. Hammond Chancellor and Greening Foreign.

Grayling was considered probably the most incompetent minister ever seen by civil servants when he was at Justice.

Interesting to see how having a lesbian foreign sec will go down when she visits more conservative parts of the world.

(I mean that in a fuck those places, not anti-LGBTQ, kind of way).

Hasney

This Smith guy... is he as shit as Eagle and Corbyn?

Better than Eagle, but he's a bit of an unknown. It would be hard to be worse than Corbyn in his current position, mind you, so better by default? Eagle would still limbo below that bar though.

It's very much the C-Team gunning for the leadership here right now though. The top tier are too concerned about losing to run.

pigeon

Banned
That 42% "Don't Know" for Tim Farron.

Lib Dems cannot into relevance.

I managed to secure a copy of the script for this poll.

secret sources said:
6. Now, for the following people, please tell me whether you have a favorable view of them, an unfavorable view of them, or don't know enough to judge.

Tim Farron. Farron. Far...no, I'm sure it's right, I read it here. Tim Farron. F-A-R...he's the leader of the Liberal Democrats. The Liberal Dem...L-I-B...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Just an email from my student association, denouncing May because of her track of "wrongful" deportation of up to 50,000 students and the numerous cases specifically within the university, which has a proportionally high number of international students.

I didn't realise her home secretary horror stories were this well known, and to this scale that their laying out hands of solidarity with the international students to fight "xenophobia and racism in all it's forms".

Arksy

Ah the Liberal Democrats, I reckon if they existed here in Australia (in the same way) I'd be a Lim Dem, but the British Tories are more my style, they're far more progressive than the Australian Liberals (Our Tories).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That....doesn't sound like that much though? Net migration to the UK was 333,000 last year, so that's gone in like three years.

That was an exceptional year. At ordinary rates it would last a decade. But yes, the real point is that England really isn't that heavily urbanised, which is why there is actually so little brownfield - it's all green! Over 95% of the country!

norinrad

Jaguar Land Rover is building big factory in Slovakia. I expect big shift in production there.

This is not related to the UK alone. Tata is moving 4000 jobs out of the Netherlands to Eastern Europe. Once Eastern European workers demand better conditions, they will find another country to move to, keeping shareholders happy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But I'm a Dinner Jacket is a conservative...

EDIT: that was probably the best autocorrect of all time and I shall let it stand as a monument.

ss1

Neo Member
I'd love the Midlands to have some proper investment. I could move back home rather than be trapped in the South where I can't afford a home, but it's also the only place where I can get a decent tech job.

Successive governments have failed me. They crippled the Midlands, they made it attractive for tech startups to be in the M4 corridor, and they kept on allowing more and more money to be pumped into housing.

It's similar government failures that have people talking about capacity. We don't build enough homes, our current housing regulations say we have the smallest homes in Europe, we make ATROCIOUS use of the land we have, our road network is renewed and reviewed at a GLACIAL pace, our rail network has almost no central direction, our health service is seeing stealth cut after stealth cut, and the government has committed a gross abdication of responsibility with education by basically saying "We can't be bothered, can you set a school up for us?".

Continual over investment in the South has left a lot of bitter Midland/Northern/Scottish/Welsh/and Northern Irish sentiment to a load of Eton lads who seem to have a jolly old time of it. We're the sixth biggest economy in the world and a proper plan could be fixing this. But no, instead we've had 30 years of saying "Well if you want a job move south", and now we're reaping the disaster that's causing to our infrastructure.

It makes me so angry for blame to be so easily transferred from government to immigrants, benefit recipients, and basically anyone else vulnerable.

This very much so. I grew up in the south and then moved to Scotland. Until I had left I never realised how much favouritism there is in the south east of England. The consequence of which we are starting to see: House prices out of reach for most in the south-east, public transport in south-east not able to keep up with demand (e.g. London-Brighton Mainline), etc.

It’s crazy that it’s quicker for me to fly to London than take a train from Aberdeen to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

wow, he left the country in a better condition than in the middle of the worst recession in a century. hats off to him!

dumbo

Ah the Liberal Democrats, I reckon if they existed here in Australia (in the same way) I'd be a Lim Dem, but the British Tories are more my style, they're far more progressive than the Australian Liberals (Our Tories).

The Lib Dems are, unfortunately, still remembered for their 'tuition fees' mess in 2010. I have no idea how long that will take to fade, but obviously more than 6 years.

Arksy

The Lib Dems are, unfortunately, still remembered for their 'tuition fees' mess in 2010. I have no idea how long that will take to fade, but obviously more than 6 years.

Actually that reminds me, we had a small-l liberal party here in Australia called The Democrats, who in the Senate allowed through the Liberal government's GST tax despite their pledge to block it, that was the end of them. They had the balance of power, and now they don't even exist. The circumstances around the tuition fees and the GST bear somewhat of a resemblance, but I don't think the same fate awaits the Lib Dems, maybe, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom