• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Crabb resigned "for the sake of his family" aka "my wife asked me to or she would leave me due to me sex texting a younger woman."

Mr. Sam

In Twitter, Louise Mensch sought out a mother of a child waiting for an operation, who had been celebrating Hunt's apparent dismissal, to call her a "loathsome tit."

suedester

Banned
Scotland made it very clear that they will only stay if the rest of the United Kingdom voted to remain within the EU. As that did not happen, she has made it very clear that Scotland will be part of the European Union, with or without the UK. Her responsibilty as the scottish prime minister is first and foremost aimed at the scottish people. If England wants to jump ship towards insanity, they shouldn't expect Scotland to be as crazy.

I'm pretty sure the question posed to the Scottish people made no mention of the EU.

theaface

So back from my ban, I have not see any other leave voters in this thread for a while, but will have to post carefully as don't want another ban

Few things to catch up....

kicked off in my area and I expected it as my whole area overwhelmingly voted to leave, and TBH if I was a immigrant I would not stay in Norfolk/Lincolnshire (well Norwich looks ok)

Labour held a vigil to show support for immigrants, lots of low level racism,my sons school have held 2 emergency assemblies to try to stop the bulling of EAL

A school in Ely wrote a public letter warning parents they were on the verge of calling police, a shop (Romanian) was fire bombed in Norwich

The biggest thing was our local head councillor blocked the Government putting 50 Syrian families in our area, and instead said Norwich would have to take them (The official answer was the climate was not 'ok' for them here)

I see David Davis open letter about how we block free movement and access the single market has been derided on here, so no point going over that...

Welcome back. Genuine question - has your opinion of Brexit changed at all with all that has transpired in the past few weeks? Are you still pro-leave? You don't necessarily have to explain yourself if you are, I'm just curious if all of the broken leave promises, political turmoil and rise in overt racism has altered your view at all?

Stuart444

In Twitter, Louise Mensch sought out a mother of a child waiting for an operation, who had been celebrating Hunt's apparent dismissal, to call her a "loathsome tit."

I just saw (and I think it was a father? Had a male name) and plenty of tweets defending what she said and what I think is complaining over the bullying to Leadsom.

She sounds vile just from the last hour of her tweets...

Beefy

@jon_bartley
I’m on a hospital ward with my son, awaiting a delayed and postponed operation. Huge cheer just erupted at news Jeremy Hunt has been sacked.

@LouiseMensch
Well scumbag enjoy the fact you were wrong you loathsome tit. Jeremy is staying https://twitter.com/jon_bartley/status/753553397203296257 …

jelly

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-philip-may-amazon-starbucks-google-capital-group-philip-morris-a7133231.html

We had this yet?

The relatively unknown investment fund where Theresa May’s husband Philip works as a senior executive is one of the world’s largest and most powerful financial institutions, controlling $1.4 trillion in assets.

Its portfolio also includes $20 billion of shares in Amazon and Starbucks, both of which were cited by the Prime Minister-designate in her pledge to crack down on tax avoidance yesterday.

Latest filings to US authorities show that Los Angeles based Capital Group owns huge stakes in a variety of companies, including investment bank JP Morgan Chase, defence giant Lockheed Martin, tobacco company Philip Morris International, the pharmaceutical sector’s Merck & Co, and also Ryanair.

May

She said: “We need to talk about tax. It doesn’t matter to me whether you’re Amazon, Google or Starbucks: you have a duty to put something back, you have a debt to your fellow citizens, you have a responsibility to pay your taxes. So as Prime Minister, I will crack down on individual and corporate tax avoidance and evasion.”

Just not too much dear.

Arksy

Welcome back. Genuine question - has your opinion of Brexit changed at all with all that has transpired in the past few weeks? Are you still pro-leave? You don't necessarily have to explain yourself if you are, I'm just curious if all of the broken leave promises, political turmoil and rise in overt racism has altered your view at all?

FWIW, given that this was an actual possiblity, devised years in the making. Even if somewhat theoretical and unlikely at certain points, I find the fact that the British Civil Service (as well as political leaders) were so unprepared rather flabbergasting. Almost beyond comprehension.

StayDead

I just saw (and I think it was a father? Had a male name) and plenty of tweets defending what she said and what I think is complaining over the bullying to Leadsom.

She sounds vile just from the last hour of her tweets...

What a disgusting woman. How can you insult someone who's child is waiting for a delayed operation and is sick purely because he reported what he saw in a hospital?

I know quite a few people working in different hospitals over the country and overwhelmingly people seem (anecdotally of course) to hate Jeremy Hunt.

Stuart444

What a disgusting woman. How can you insult someone who's child has had an operation and is sick purely because he reported what he saw in a hospital?

I know quite a few people working in different hospitals over the country and overwhelmingly people seem (anecdotally of course) to hate Jeremy Hunt.

From her tweets, as far as she is concerned, the Junior Doctors are selfish and she is glad Hunt is back and doing what he does.

:/

kmag

From her tweets, as far as she is concerned, the Junior Doctors are selfish and she is glad Hunt is back and doing what he does.

:/

There's no logic there. She's basically just a prettier version of Katie Hopkins. She's a loathsome manifestation what underneath the thin veneer of little England.

kmag

Nice straw man argument there.

Well if you don't like rhetorical devices being flung in your face, stop making simple statements ignoring context.

Yes the Scottish Referendum question did not mention the EU, it was a major campaign point on both sides. With Better Together clearly stating consistently the only way to stay in the EU was to vote no.

Similarly people and politicians are only able to say that freedom of movement is off the table due immigration predominance in the EU ref campaign.
The empirical evidence post ref suggests that most leave voters are now less concerned about immigration and more concerned about the economy and sovereignty. Although frankly I think they're just saying that make themselves feel better.

cabot

Nice straw man argument there.

mirror-on-face.png

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
FWIW, given that this was an actual possiblity, devised years in the making. Even if somewhat theoretical and unlikely at certain points, I find the fact that the British Civil Service (as well as political leaders) were so unprepared rather flabbergasting. Almost beyond comprehension.
There must be something in the water. A senior Toyota UK executive said right after the referendum that they were scared shitless of Brexit because they never thought it could become a thing and thus never planned for it.

It's almost as if the EU was the only one with a plan B.

PJV3

There must be something in the water. A senior Toyota UK executive said that they were scared shitless of Brexit because they never thought it could become a thing and thus never planned for it.

It's almost as if the EU was the only one with a plan B.

The government made clear nothing has been done as no PM wanted it.

It's like nobody listens anymore to experts and the political elite.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you waste resources planning to leave the EU until it actually happens. That's what those years of negotiations are for.

The government made clear nothing has been done as no PM wanted it.

It's like nobody listens anymore to experts and the political elite.

I feel like that's exactly why a lot of people voted leave- the elites and experts said that Remain was the best option. I get the feeling they wanted to 'screw over the establishment'. The question is whether May truly wants to Brexit or is looking for a way to half-ass it.

Acorn

That's exactly why a lot of people voted leave- the elites and experts said that Remain was the best option. I get the feeling they wanted to 'screw over the establishment'.
Just screwed themselves, the "elites" don't need benefits and are highly mobile. So congrats working class English you're the author of your own book of death again.

suedester

Banned
Well if you don't like rhetorical devices being flung in your face, stop making simple statements ignoring context.

Yes the Scottish Referendum question did not mention the EU, it was a major campaign point on both sides. With Better Together clearly stating consistently the only way to stay in the EU was to vote no.

Similarly people and politicians are only able to say that freedom of movement is off the table due immigration predominance in the EU ref campaign.
The empirical evidence post ref suggests that most leave voters are now less concerned about immigration and more concerned about the economy and sovereignty. Although frankly I think they're just saying that make themselves feel better.

You can't say that "Scotland made it very clear that they will only stay if the rest of the United Kingdom voted to remain within the EU." That's not what was voted on. Making statements and proclaiming them as fact, and then complaining when you get called out on it is hilarious.

I stated a fact totally relevant to the post I was replying to. The literal opposite of a straw man. Nice reply with a picture though, marvelous form of debate.

Zelias

Banned
Saw a random comment on Facebook that sums up Louise Mensch: 'She's Katie Hopkins for people with a smoothie maker.'

Odious, vile woman.

Acorn

You can't say that "Scotland made it very clear that they will only stay if the rest of the United Kingdom voted to remain within the EU." That's not what was voted on. Making statements and proclaiming them as fact, and then complaining when you get called out on it is hilarious.

I stated a fact totally relevant to the post I was replying to. The literal opposite of a straw man. Nice reply with a picture though, marvelous form of debate.
Yes we can and indeed we do. Why are you idiots so determined to drag us down with you? Go live in your little right wing paradise and everyone else will live in this century not Victorian times.

Xun

Louise Mensch is fucking vile.

What a cunt.

Just screwed themselves, the "elites" don't need benefits and are highly mobile. So congrats working class English you're the author of your own book of death again.
Pretty much.

It's incredibly upsetting how stupid people can be.

kmag

That wasn't me you were replying to. I made no such statement. Although given the guy is called kmax I can see why you'd get confused :)
I do think it's pretty silly not acknowledge that the EU membership was a major component of the Scottish Independence referendum campaign on both sides and there's plenty up in Scotland who are rightly pissed off especially on the back of the other broken promises by the ex-prime minister.

Acorn

That wasn't me you were replying to. I made no such statement. I do think it's pretty silly not acknowledge that the EU membership was a major component of the Scottish Independence referendum campaign on both sides.
And that the snp manifesto included specific mention of a material change triggering a indy ref and Sturgeon repeatedly said leaving the eu if we voted to stay represented such a change.

Aswell as our parliament endorsing Sturgeon's efforts to keep us in the E.U and even Davidson basically accepting the current landscape has changed dramatically.

But the circumstances of the 2014 referendum have changed completely, why do you want to keep the Scottish people part of the Union against their will? Or deny them even the chance to express their will in a referendum?

suedester

Banned
Yes we can and indeed we do. Why are you idiots so determined to drag us down with you? Go live in your little right wing paradise and everyone else will live in this century not Victorian times.

It's impossible to have any sort of opposing view in this thread. I'm not an idiot and I'm certainly not right wing. I'd prefer Scotland to remain in the union but you being aggressive and sanctimonious doesn't shock me to be honest.

I'm pretty sure the question posed to the Scottish people made no mention of the EU.

Which is why the SNP's Holyrood manifesto called for a second independence referendum under these circumstances, since the democratic mandates from the two previous ones seem to be impossible to reconcile right now. Together with the Greens (who are just as strong supporters of independence) they won an absolute majority and have every right to enact their pledge. Any attempt by the UK government to block Sturgeon if she wants to go for it would be extreme hypocrisy considering the events since the last GE.

suedester

Banned
That wasn't me you were replying to. I made no such statement. Although given the guy is called kmax I can see why you'd get confused :)
I do think it's pretty silly not acknowledge that the EU membership was a major component of the Scottish Independence referendum campaign on both sides and there's plenty up in Scotland who are rightly pissed off especially on the back of the other broken promises by the ex-prime minister.

You replied to my reply. I obviously referenced the post I was replying to. I know it wasn't you that said it.

Acorn

It's impossible to have any sort of opposing view in this thread. I'm not an idiot and I'm certainly not right wing. I'd prefer Scotland to remain in the union but you being aggressive and sanctimonious doesn't shock me to be honest.
That's nice you want to deny us our own democratic will. Don't expect me to respect you in return, you deserve ire.

kmax

That's a weird statement considering that I have yet to respond.

To answer, no, that was not what was being voted on, but to imply that they didn't signal their intentions if brexit were to go ahead is false.

The Scottish First Minister said another independence referendum "is definitely on the table" if Scotland votes to remain in the UK but the rest of the UK votes to leave.

link

Had Bremain won would we not even have this discussion right now.

suedester

Banned
That's nice you want to deny us our own democratic will. Don't expect me to respect you in return, you deserve ire.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Where did I say Scotland shouldn't have a second referendum? All I said was the EU wasn't part of the question posed in the original referendum.

That's a weird statement considering that I have yet to respond.

To answer, no, that was not what was being voted on, but to imply that they didn't signal their intentions if brexit were to go ahead is false.

Sorry, I did confuse you with someone else! Apologies. Who are they? The million plus people who voted to stay or the SNP?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you putting words in my mouth? Where did I say Scotland shouldn't have a second referendum? All I said was the EU wasn't part of the question posed in the original referendum.

No, it wasn't part of the question, but it was a very clear part of the campaign, mentioned a number of times by a very large number of pro-Union campaigners. Given the closeness of the result, the fact that one of the key points in favour of Remaining (that it would be the only way for Scotland to be inside the EU) has been critically undermined, it is hardly surprising that people feel betrayed and as though they were tricked into voting to stay.

What are you talking about? So because it wasn't on the actual ballot EU membership wasn't a key issue?

This article is really crap journalism (which seems very common from the Indie since it became a chumbucket internet-only 'newspaper').

May's husband is a client relationship manager. He doesn't control any investments.
The article implies he's some corrupt piece of shit simply when actually he just works for a bank.
And like most investment banks, they hold shares in big multinational companies.
I'm not a fan of Amazon, Starbucks and Google's tax-dodging, but it's ridiculous to smear someone as a bad person for working for a company that holds shares in them.
Surely it follows that people who actually buy stuff from Amazon/Starbucks and use google/chrome/android phones are even more evil. But I guess everyone at the Independent uses local high-street independent shops and Apple computers/phones.

Now I feel dirty for (indirectly) defending Theresa May.

Arksy

I really feel for Scotland. England wants out, Scotland wants in and the only way I don't see this ending cataclysmically is if the UK leaves and things drastically and immediately improve to the point where the idea is moot, and I don't think it'll happen that quickly.

kmag

This article is really crap journalism (which seems very common from the Indie since it became a chumbucket internet-only 'newspaper').

May's husband is a client relationship manager. He doesn't control any investments.
The article implies he's some corrupt piece of shit simply when actually he just works for a bank.
And like most investment banks, they hold shares in big multinational companies.
I'm not a fan of Amazon, Starbucks and Google's tax-dodging, but it's ridiculous to smear someone as a bad person for working for a company that holds shares in them.
Surely it follows that people who actually buy stuff from Amazon/Starbucks and use google/chrome/android phones are even more evil. But I guess everyone at the Independent uses local high-street independent shops and Apple computers/phones.

Now I feel dirty for (indirectly) defending Theresa May.

Shame.

Shame.

Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom