• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Justine Greening as education secretary, first Tory education minister who went to a comprehensive school

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Here comes the ridicule

French foreign minister: Boris Johnson is a liar with his back against the wall

Jean-Marc Ayrault, who met Johnson when the two men were both mayors, was asked on French radio if he was surprised by Johnson’s appointment. “I don’t know if it surprised me,” he said. “It’s a sign of the British political crisis that has come out of the referendum vote.” He said France needed a partner it could negotiate with who was “clear, credible and who could be trusted”.

The Europe 1 radio interviewer told Ayrault: “I’ve got the impression you’re scared of being faced with the fanciful Boris Johnson,” to which the French foreign minister replied: “No, I’ve got no worries at all about Boris Johnson. But you know very well what his style and method are. During the campaign, you know he told a lot of lies to the British people and now it is him who has his back against the wall. He is up against it to defend his country and also so that the relationship with Europe is clear.”

Ayrault said Britain’s exit from the Europe Union must now happen in the best conditions possible “and not to the detriment of the European project”. He added: “We cannot let this ambiguous, blurred situation drag on …”

What's up with the tories and cheese anyway? Because Boris also seems to have strong opinions on cheese.

He added: “We must be pretty irritating for some of these french knicker manufacturers when they stroll down the Champs Élysées to see British french knickers on sale in their shops. But are they going to put tariffs, after we leave the EU, on our french knickers, when we buy so much of their cheese and champagne? Of course they’re not.”

kmag

£ going through the roof

It'll steady out until August when the BOE meet again. Because they've just wrote in neon letters, cut next time around.

“In the absence of a further worsening in the trade-off between supporting growth and returning inflation to target on a sustainable basis, most members of the Committee expect monetary policy to be loosened in August,

“The precise size and nature of any stimulatory measures will be determined during the August forecast and Inflation Report round.”

It's still only heading one way over the medium term. I actually think this bounce will start to recede next week.

Maledict

So apprenticeships and higher education is back to Education department. Combined with the new international trade position, this seems to indicate BIS may be gone completely?

PJV3

2% on the day is a pretty big jump in fx terms, not saying it's near where it was, just that it rose 20 bp on the boe news

Is there much point watching markets if the government hasn't taken a position yet on the type of exit?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
2% on the day is a pretty big jump in fx terms, not saying it's near where it was, just that it rose 20 bp on the boe news

Most expected a cut to interest rates, so this is just the restoration of value after expectations proved wrong. Will be temporary given the bank more or less said "Of course, there may be cuts in the future, wink, wink, nudge, nudge."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Is there much point watching markets if the government hasn't taken a position yet on the type of exit?

sort of. The markets reflect the balance of expectations about what will happen, and generally speaking are quite well informed, even compared to the usual pundits. Currently, you can tell they're betting on Norway with a very high probability.

Xun

o8EziEOl.jpg

Private Eye on point.
Pretty much.

Is there any talk of Scotland still trying to veto the decision or are they fully on Indy Ref 2 now?

jelly

When do they reveal the bitter Norway pill to the 52%, that will be an amusing reaction and for the 48% what the hell was the point, this is worse reaction.

£ going through the roof

That's because it's just been announced interest rates will be held at 0.5%. The market was expecting a drop to 0.25%.

And hardly 'through the roof'.. it's still utter shit compared to pre-ref levels. But then I think too much fuss has been made about the stirling decline anyway, just look at how the Euro has fallen over the last couple of years and still hasn't recovered.

Madchad

As much as i respect that Scotland voted to remain as a whole the vote was taken as a United Kingdom. As such the way Sturgeon is currently going around pretty much undermining the UK sovereignty by dealing with EU before Scotland is independent is nothing short of Treason.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I do find it quite funny that the poll asking, more or less, "do you know what the fuck you're talking about?" had 52% say No and 48% say Yes.

PJV3

sort of. The markets reflect the balance of expectations about what will happen, and generally speaking are quite well informed, even compared to the usual pundits. Currently, you can tell they're betting on Norway with a very high probability.

Hammond gives me hope there is some sanity in government, but May is pretty harsh on border controls and free movement.

I don't see how anything can be read from a government yet to hold its first cabinet meeting.

kmag

As much as i respect that Scotland voted to remain as a whole the vote was taken as a United Kingdom. As such the way Sturgeon is currently going around pretty much undermining the UK sovereignty by dealing with EU before Scotland is independent is nothing short of Treason.

She's fulfilling the wishes of her Parliament. So in short go ram it.

Uzzy

And now Laura Kuenssberg is saying that Hunt will stay as Health Secretary.

Even if he stays, there's going to be a fair few presumably annoyed former cabinet members in the backbenches, and with the razor thin majority the Tories have, they might just need to call an early election to actually govern.

Arksy

She's fulfilling the wishes of her Parliament. So in short go ram it.

Does she even have any foreign affairs powers? Isn't that entirely within the domain of the royal perogative?

Granted, the idea that it's treasonous is kind of stupid.

tomtom94

Tories will call an election as soon as Labour have a leader. They barely need a majority at the moment, but they will eat into Labour's lead if they call a general this year. They could eat into Labour's lead if 1997 Blair was in charge, frankly.

Zaph

She's doing busy work which is a nice gesture to the people she represents - everyone knows for the near and foreseeable future Scotland is going down with the ship. And the current state of politics in the UK means nobody is in a position to make claims of being undermined.

PJV3

Tories will call an election as soon as Labour have a leader. They barely need a majority at the moment, but they will eat into Labour's lead if they call a general this year. They could eat into Labour's lead if 1997 Blair was in charge, frankly.

Lol.

More delays to a50 and then a hung parliament please.

I need the farce to intensify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom