• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

I'd hope you feel for all Remainers, although what would please me the most would be an admission of regret.

I have no regrets, but that doesn't mean I take glee in this result to anyone's detriment.

As I've said, the result was close...and while we can't discern the reason why everyone voted, we can say with some clairty that immigration and sovereignty were big issue for those who voted to leave (in general), and the economy, mobility and ties to the European contient were important to those who wanted to remain....

Whatever happens, the UK must leave, but it would be folly to ignore the fact that the result was close and that 48% of voters need to be accomodated. That probably means that not everyone will get what they want, and that there will have to be a compromise. I -personally- wouldn't mind a EEA type deal, because that solves most of my issues with the EU regarding sovereignty and allows us to keep those economic links while making deals with other countries and the like.

Hasney

It's official, worst cabinet in my memory.

On the plus side, Leadsom will probably quit when she stubs her toe or something.

PJV3

I'd hope you feel for all Remainers, although what would please me the most would be an admission of regret.

There's nothing to regret.

David Davis will have the whole thing sorted in 2 years tops, I'm pretty relaxed about it all now.

He's blatantly threatening them with economic blackmail, I'm sure that's going to get results. We can eat turnips and destroy the German car industry.

Zaph

It's our own fault. Had we manned up in the first place this would be moderately hilarious. Although we'd still have our own issues to deal with.

Don't feel bad, you guys did the right thing at the right time - put economic stability during uncertain times ahead of your pride. What happened to oil is proof of that.

Nobody could predict we would then vote to put xenophobia ahead of our own economic stability.

It's our own fault. Had we manned up in the first place this would be moderately hilarious. Although we'd still have our own issues to deal with.

Independence in 2014 with a lukewarm reception from the EU (at best) and a crashing oil price would not have been pretty TBH. There would also probably never have been an EU referendum since Miliband's Labour would have been in a much stronger position since the Tories just wrecked the union and voters wouldn't have been afraid of a Labour minority government supported by the SNP.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that Leadsom just got given a post that again will have to make big changes post-Brexit, what with how it handled the UK end of the CAP. All the Brexiteers have been put in places where they have to sort it all out.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Independence in 2014 with a lukewarm reception from the EU (at best) and a crashing oil price would not have been pretty TBH. There would also probably never have been an EU referendum since Miliband's Labour would have been in a much stronger position since the Tories just wrecked the union and voters wouldn't have been afraid of a Labour minority government supported by the SNP.

I'm inclined to agree with this analysis. In the short-run (by which I mean up to thirty years, maybe more), Scotland was and is kind of fucked regardless. It's 1639 all over again.

The funny thing is that if Scotland had voted to leave, Cameron would never have got a majority and so we wouldn't have had this EU referendum at all. So Scotland would have been committed to leaving the Union and the EU (albeit subsequently rejoining at some point in the future under some much less favourable terms), while England, Wales and NI would still be a full veto-wielding member of the EU.

Basically Scotland is, and always was, fucked in the short-to-medium-term, no matter what they chose.

Edit: Hah, I essentially just restated inoperativ's and Crab's points there!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
In fact, watching Scotland go through the shitter for lack of EU access might have curbed rExit enthusiasm in the rUK, leading the remaining trio to stay fervently in while Scotland spent the next 6-7 years in negotiations.

Which would have been amazing.

This isn't Chrono Trigger, there are no good timelines.

SKINNER!

Banned
I really feel for Scotland. England wants out, Scotland wants in and the only way I don't see this ending cataclysmically is if the UK leaves and things drastically and immediately improve to the point where the idea is moot, and I don't think it'll happen that quickly.

Nah, don't feel bad. We're kinda in a win win situation. We got the majority of our political parties who want to stay in EU with Sturgeon leading the way (and of course getting her Scottish independence wish/desire back on the table again). Yeah it's a shame we didn't get the vote to leave the UK but - to me anyway - it's great to know and see that all Scottish politicians are doing their best to keep Scotland in the EU no matter what. We got a little tiny glimmer of hope. Most of EU nations know we wanted to stay and that we're trying to keep it that way. We (alongside NI) are not seen in the same shade of light as the rest of the UK.

So yeah, don't feel bad for us ;)

If anything, I feel for England and Wales. You guys are fucked and your government have no idea what they're gonna do to fix it.

Acorn

Interesting that Leadsom just got given a post that again will have to make big changes post-Brexit, what with how it handled the UK end of the CAP. All the Brexiteers have been put in places where they have to sort it all out.
Hopefully she can find the time in between being a mother and saying "As a mother I prefer Mars bars to snickers"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I do have to give May some credit for shoving the Leave campaign leaders right into departments that will be mired in Brexit-coloured shit for the next few years. They made their beds and now they get to lie in them.

sasliquid

Leadsom, who wasn't even sure Climate Change was real till last year, as energy secretary?

At least someone will think of the children (lol jk her voting record is terrible)

I'm inclined to agree with this analysis. In the short-run (by which I mean up to thirty years, maybe more), Scotland was and is kind of fucked regardless. It's 1639 all over again.

I think independence after a second referendum would be the best possible outcome out of the ones available before 2014 from a Scottish perspective. It will still obviously be tough economically but at least there is now widespread sympathy for independence even among people who were adamantly opposed to it back then, which will make post-independence politics more stable in the short term. A clever Scottish government would do as much as it could to attract some of the skilled immigration and investment that will be diverted away from England.

Acorn

I think independence after a second referendum would be the best possible outcome out of the ones available before 2014 from a Scottish perspective. It will still obviously be tough economically but at least there is now widespread sympathy for independence even among people who were adamantly opposed to it back then, which will make post-independence politics more stable in the short term. A clever Scottish government would do as much as it could to attract some of the skilled immigration and investment that will be diverted away from England.
I'm inclined to agree. Brexit has proven a lot of what we were saying about being part of this union true and a great many mainly voted remain for e.u. membership.

Hasney

Priti Patel and IDS both in 10 Downing Street. Wonder if one of them might get the immigration brief.

It was such a happy, promising time when IDS quit. Now we might have to deal with that pillock again somehow. He's a cockroach that will not die.

tomtom94

It was such a happy, promising time when IDS quit. Now we might have to deal with that pillock again somehow. He's a cockroach that will not die.

To be fair, he would probably be good at reducing immigration if you just put up posters of his face in Calais.

tomtom94

Greg Clark appointed Business/Energy/Industrial, which essentially means he and Javid have done a swap. Bit bizarre with the Tata thing going on but sure.

Hasney

To be fair, he would probably be good at reducing immigration if you just put up posters of his face in Calais.

"This man has been head of the DWP twice. Not only that, but he was leader of the Tories before someone called Michael Howard was able to look good by comparison"

0777a616-20d7-11e4-_748761c.jpg

"Do you really want to come here?"

BRITAIN. THINK AGAIN.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I agree, to be honest. If you're going to make big changes, may as well do it all together, instead of having to negotiate a load of stuff as part of a pan-UK effort, then start all over again when you leave; it minimizes the amount of uncertainty which is one of the most economically damaging parts. I basically expect Scotland to be independent by 2019 now. It's going to be incredibly damaging economically for Scotland and will take a long time to recover from, but it's not really about the economics any more, it is about community and self-control.

tomtom94

Patel gets International Development, continuing the theme that the Brexiteers get to screw up foreign policy and the Remainers look after everything as best they can at home.

As I type this, Whittingdale's replacement is Karen Bradley. Former whip and Security Minister (and co-sec of the 1922...)

sasliquid

So if Energy is going to Business and Skills, will there be no department with a focus on Climate Change

Speaking of Energy lets have a look at Greg Clarks voting record...

oh look votes against preventing climate change, votes against regulating fracking and lower taxes for motor vehicles. Goodie

EDIT: Also voted to add the Climate Change Levy TO RENEWABLE ENERGY SOURCES

jelly

So if Energy is going to Business and Skills, will there be no department with a focus on Climate Change

oh look votes against preventing climate change, votes against regulating fracking and lower taxes for motor vehicles. Goodie

My god, what a joke.

AHA-Lambda

I could fucking weep reading that :(

I agree, to be honest. If you're going to make big changes, may as well do it all together, instead of having to negotiate a load of stuff as part of a pan-UK effort, then start all over again when you leave; it minimizes the amount of uncertainty which is one of the most economically damaging parts. I basically expect Scotland to be independent by 2019 now. It's going to be incredibly damaging economically for Scotland and will take a long time to recover from, but it's not really about the economics any more, it is about community and self-control.

Aye, it's far from ideal but better than the alternatives. I suspect some of the economic damage will happen regardless since neither of the main parties has an incentive to protect Scotland's interests any more, so sooner or later the funding allocation will be challenged and changed to a less generous one (with talk of fairness, of course conveniently forgetting that redistribution is kind of a thing that governments should do and the large contributions Scotland made over the last 30 years).

Tuffty

Glad Villiers did the right thing and fucked off. If ever there was a NI secretary so out of touch with the will of the people it was her. Put her own self interests at heart by campaigning for Leave, essentially imposing a hard border between North and South, and claim it's in the best interests of the nation both politically and economically. Good riddance.

Lirlond

Don't worry Lambda, Planning is still devolved up here, we have amazing natural energy sources so post indy we should be okay!

gerg

Isn't the problem with having Scotland and the (r)UK simultaneously negotiate leaving the EU that the rUK sits in on the negotiations with Scotland (as part of the EU) and vice versa?

Isn't the problem with having Scotland and the (r)UK simultaneously negotiate leaving the EU that the rUK sits in on the negotiations with Scotland (as part of the EU) and vice versa?

The most sensible thing to do from an economic point of view IMHO would be to hold an independence referendum ASAP, if it is a Yes vote then Scotland prepares to leave the UK as the UK leaves the EU and begins negotiating with the EU as an independent nation in advance. The UK would be kept out of those negotiations and would be out of the EU by the time there are actual proposals to decide on. There's also been some talk in Brussels of keeping Scotland in a kind-of EU membership waiting area which would allow Scotland to keep most of the benefits throughout the process since it already complies with all the rules and regulations since the negotiations might take a while, but obviously we are in uncharted territory there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom