• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungFa

The article literally says "which could be translated 'monstrous' or 'outrageous.'" I don't think that is too unreasonable of them!
Thats wrong. Ungehuer means something is not "geheuer". While the word geheuer is not used anymore without any negation, it originally means something like pleasent.

Hazzuh

Also, we're the laughing stock of the world with the amount of self-inflicted damage we've just done.

So we better get a thicker skin because the jokes and insults won't stop there.

At this point our only hope is the USA actually making Trump president.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The article literally says "which could be translated 'monstrous' or 'outrageous.'" I don't think that is too unreasonable of them!

Languages are contextual. geheuer is something like "at ease"/"comfortable with", ungeheuer is therefore "not at ease/made uncomfortable by" and is used for creepy or eerie situations, so ungeheuerlich is something like "creepyful", which is obviously a good phrase to describe a monster with, so in some contexts it is translated as monstrous. Here, it's "very distasteful" given creepy doesn't really suit, so probably "outrageous" or "abominable" or something like that fits as a natural/non-contrived English translation.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I would say the person who made these comments could be called monstrous, wouldn't you?
It weirdly annoys me that both times these snaptshots have been posted they weren't sorted in order of the time they were taken. The middle one should be on the left.

Uzzy

When was Frank-Walter Steinmeier interviewed? Cause I don't really think you can complain about the leaders of the Brexit campaign 'bolting from responsibility' and then also complain about Boris becoming Foreign Minister.

Don't get me wrong, Boris is almost certainly going to do a terrible job as Foreign Minister, but it would seem that by taking the role he's at least taking some measure of responsibility.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
When was Frank-Walter Steinmeier interviewed? Cause I don't really think you can complain about the leaders of the Brexit campaign 'bolting from responsibility' and then also complain about Boris becoming Foreign Minister.

Don't get me wrong, Boris is almost certainly going to do a terrible job as Foreign Minister, but it would seem that by taking the role he's at least taking some measure of responsibility.
Very shortly before he was assigned to be foreign sec it seems. According to this, anyway.

And yes, the term that was translated to "monstrous" can indeed be translated in multiple ways. I'd have gone with egregious, myself.

oti

Banned
The article literally says it could be translated 'monstrous' or 'outrageous.' I don't think that is too unreasonable of them!

No one in Germany would translate "ungeheuerlich" into monstrous. That's the literal translation that doesn't make much sense other than in Godzilla movies maybe.

I thought the 'plan' was to move whole blocks of legislation at a time with amendments where necessary .

I don't know if that's legal or possible to do properly within the time limit.

I think that is the plan. The problem in my field is that regulatory decisions are made at EU level. The UK could mutually recognise all of them, but that leaves us utterly dependent on the EU while having no right to comment on any decision. That's probably what will happen though.

It took 7 years to write a modification to one of the key EU directives covering my field of work. The UK could do it quicker on its own, but much of that time was due to the need for consultation with stakeholders, to make sure that revising the directive didn't cause unforseen consequences. Rushing through a huge amount of legislation in 2 years is going to cause chaos.
And despite being 7 years in the making and being reviewed by fucktons of lawyers from every government, NGO and industry, we've spent another 6-7 years requesting/negotiating guidance documents on what specific parts of the regulation actually mean (i.e. what does 'relevant' or 'suitable measures' mean in the context of this paragraph).
It's a bit like the trade negotiations. The people that do legislation are based in Brussels and Italy (European Food Safety Authority). The UK just doesn't have the experience needed to do it properly, at least not with the vast amount of stuff we need to do..

I think we'll slowly move to a Norway system in the end, but I'm not sure how things get fixed in the short term (join/contribute to the respective EU working groups in order to be a de facto member with mutual recognition of decisions between us and the rest of the EU).
I think the older staff are trying to remember how things were done back before EU harmonisation happened in the 90's [in my industry]. Unfortunately, the answer is 'very badly' with minimal protections for people or the environment and a clusterfuck trying to negotiate worldwide trade due to all the regulatory divergence.

I'm sure we'll bodge something together, but it won't be pretty. A lot of trade will be lost due to regulatory hurdles, confusion and uncertainty - but the overall effect will be minor since agriculture (and my part in it) are a very small part of our economy. I do worry that it'll just get thrown under the bus because other areas have to be prioritised.

Hasney

He still has career ambitions, there's no way he could have said no and kept any credibility whatsoever. I'm convinced that if he could have gotten away with saying no, he would have.

Burai

shitonmychest57
He still has career ambitions, there's no way he could have said no and kept any credibility whatsoever. I'm convinced that if he could have gotten away with saying no, he would have.

Yup. He had that same shell shocked, devastated look on his face as he left Number Ten as he did when he finally emerged from his home after the referendum. He's just got one of the best jobs in UK government and he knows it'll be the end of his career.

Guy.brush

No one in Germany would translate "ungeheuerlich" into monstrous. That's the literal translation that doesn't make much sense other than in Godzilla movies maybe.

the opposite of ungeheuerlich is geheuerlich, which would mean "being comfortable with something"

So if something is labeled "ungeheuerlich", it would mean that people are not comfortable with that action or they don't think it is appropriate.
It is NEVER used in its original etymological origin. If you'd want to say "monstrous", you would say "monstroes".

That understanding of the word would be akin to understanding "I had a nightmare today" as "what?! You fucked with a night mare tonight?!"

oti

Banned
the opposite of ungeheuerlich is geheuerlich, which would mean "being comfortable with something"

So if something is labeled "ungeheuerlich", it would mean that people are not comfortable with that action or they don't think it is appropriate.
It is NEVER used in its original etymological origin.

That would be akin to understanding "I had a nightmare today" as "what you fucked with a night mare tonight?"

Dieses Kleid lässt dich ungeheuerlich wirken.
This dress makes you look like Godzilla oh ma god.

lol

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
You Germans with your in-jokes. I'd ask you to explain, but I know they wouldn't be funny.
/!\ Fun Spoilers Fun Spoilers Fun Spoilers /!\

They're just literal translations of weird idioms that make zero sense that way. "I think I spider" is "Ich glaub ich spinne" where "Spinne" is the German word for "spider" but also homograph to the first person present tense conjugation of the verb "spinnen" or "to web" and webbing was one of the simple tasks people used to occupy patients in a mental hospital with. So it's basically a way of saying you're seeing something so unbelievable you must have gone mental. Second one is simpler: "Now we have the salad" is "Jetzt haben wir den Salat" where "salad" is merely a metaphor for something that's a complete mess. So it's used to say when a bunch of things go wrong, basically.

The sad part is you sometimes witness Germans less fluent in English actually translate idioms that way as if they made sense to others. Part of the reason we have our own version of "Engrish": "Denglish", Deutsch + English.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

They're just literal translations of weird idioms that make zero sense that way. "I think I spider" is "Ich glaub ich spinne" where "Spinne" is the German word for "spider" but also homograph to the first person present tense conjugation of the verb "spinnen" or "to web" and webbing was one of the simple tasks people used to occupy patients in a mental hospital with. So it's basically a way of saying you're seeing something so unbelievable you must have gone mental. Second one is simpler: "Now we have the salad" is "Jetzt haben wir den Salat" where "salad" is merely a metaphor for something that's a complete mess. So it's used to say when a bunch of things go wrong, basically.

The sad part is you sometimes witness Germans less fluent in English actually translate idioms that way as if they made sense to others. Part of the reason we have our own version of "Engrish": "Denglish", Deutsch + English.

Interesting. there's probably Engleutsch too, in fairness. I'd guess "Nun, das veröffentlicht die katze aus dem sack." probably makes no sense in German, for a start.

rqWfNOm.jpg

lol.

oti

Banned

The sad part is you sometimes witness Germans less fluent in English actually translate idioms that way as if they made sense to others. Part of the reason we have a version of "Engrish": "Denglish", Deutsch + English.

What dirves me CRAZY is some Germans thinking that "a-round-about" is the best and only way to say "ungefähr" and a good thing to add to every sentence. They think that makes them sound smart.

Kyougar

What dirves me CRAZY is some Germans thinking that "a-round-about" is the best and only way to say "ungefähr" and a good thing to add to every sentence. They think that makes them sound smart.

oh god, the fremdschämen i had to suffer in business calls when one of my colleagues held a presentation and roundabout was his word of choice in every two sentences.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate this tbh. I plan on moving to Germany after all.
There was a thread about someone learning German recently. Lots of piss taking because the language does have its idiosyncrasies (like any language, to be honest, I know three and all have odd quirks) but some good information as well. Though I think towards the end it just descended into Germans bickering about which gender specific consoles have, heh.
Interesting. there's probably Engleutsch too, in fairness. I'd guess "Nun, das veröffentlicht die katze aus dem sack." probably makes no sense in German, for a start.
Oh for sure. I have an American colleague who keeps bungling up sayings we have in both German and English. He'd say "Das Baby mit dem Badewasser wegschmeißen" which is literally "To throw the baby out with the bathwater" when our actual version of that saying is "Das Kind mit dem Bade ausschütten." Though I guess that one at least makes somewhat sense with his literal translation.

You Germans with your in-jokes. I'd ask you to explain, but I know they wouldn't be funny.

It's a long running-gag to translate german proverbs into english, without preserving the meaning, just going word by word.

"I think my pig whistles" is another example. The german equivalent is used when something surprised you.

Edit: Oh, far too late.

Germany top career choice for Brits fleeing Brexit

The survey published on Wednesday by international online job board StepStone showed that some 600,000 skilled British workers are estimated to be planning to move their careers to another EU country.

And Germany was by far the top choice of where to go with 44 percent of respondents listing the Bundesrepublik as their goal.

The next top choice was France, followed by Spain, the Netherlands and Ireland.

“One-third of highly skilled British workers can imagine themselves continuing their careers in another EU country, 600,000 are already concretely planning how to change their jobs,” said StepStone Germany’s director Dr. Sebastian Dettmers in a statement.

“Therefore Brexit has the potential to relieve the shortage of skilled workers in Germany. Businesses in Germany can profit from immigration and a strengthening of locations.”

StepStone surveyed 40,000 workers in the UK, Ireland and Germany to find out how people were feeling after Britain voted to leave the EU.

HrmXxgQ.jpg

Also come to Germany to study for free, in English

Yep brain drain will be at epic levels over the next few years, a few of my old friends in the biochemistry field are planning to move, as well as some microbiology researchers I keep in touch with, we are going to lose some real talent to Europe.

It's cool though, I mean, at least we stopped those filthy fucking immigrants right?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wonder what careers the people thinking of going to Spain or Ireland are in. Both have their own economic issues, would they really be much of an improvement? Unless you're in Northern Ireland and want to move south I guess.
There's always demand for native English speakers at certain levels, particularly in large international companies.
Spain offers some opportunities in that regard since the average employee has poor English skills.

Hazzuh

I am doing a physics PhD now and could imagine that having to move becomes much more likely with Brexit. The worst part is I'll be finishing in two years so everything will be completely up in the air.. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom