• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
On everything. Britain won't become NK but they'll lose their relevance on the world stage. But hey, how about becoming a tax haven?

did we also vote to give up our permanent seat on the UN security council?

there was life before the EU and they'll be life after. Acting like the UK didn't or doesn't matter is getting tiresome though.

Unit 33

The special relationship is dead.

For years it's been an uncomfortable obligation, like going to visit an eccentric uncle,
except now the uncle crossed the line and burned down his own house.

metaphor

TheFatOne

rqWfNOm.jpg

lol.

That was a brutal reply.

We will see how special the relationship with Germany is when the US wants them to bleed out in an illegal and unpopular war. There is a reason why US is special friends with a nation of morons like the UK.

watershed

Banned
Obama trusts them so much he got the NSA to bug their phones

that's definitely a special relationship.

Lol, the US spies on everyone. You seem to be taking Brexit very personally. It's kind of common sentiment at this point that British leaders have done nothing to improve the perception or standing of their country internationally.

Trumpets

I hope Theresa May makes it a law that all the people moaning about leaving the UK following Brexit are LEGALLY REQUIRED to do before we seperate. We don't need all these Eeyores harshing the vibe of our glorious future paradise.

oti

Banned
Let's see that economic performance first. Keeping a standing army is not cheap, and the UK is already having problems as it is.

I see it this way: The UK could stay somewhat relevant if they dedicate themselves to being the "army nation". The economy will take hits left and right anyway.

I wonder what careers the people thinking of going to Spain or Ireland are in. Both have their own economic issues, would they really be much of an improvement? Unless you're in Northern Ireland and want to move south I guess.

Tourist industry probably plays a big part in it for Spain. Lot of demand for English speaking bar staff, holiday reps etc.

I hope Theresa May makes it a law that all the people moaning about leaving the UK following Brexit are LEGALLY REQUIRED to do before we seperate. We don't need all these Eeyores harshing the vibe of our glorious future paradise.

Oh God, please, if only this could actually happen. Bring back the days when deportation was an option for the courts. Commit treason and be forcibly removed from the country. Get shipped off to a more tolerant society.

I'd be first in line to claim my exit visa if this was law. Why remain on a sinking ship if there are life jackets available?

tomtom94

Something fun in the BBC's cabinet guide is that Priti Patel now has to deal with our legal requirement to give 0.7% of our GDP as foreign aid. Good luck spinning that to the 'Kippers.

Hasney

Unfortunately she won't leaglise the drugs you're on.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Something fun in the BBC's cabinet guide is that Priti Patel now has to deal with our legal requirement to give 0.7% of our GDP as foreign aid. Good luck spinning that to the 'Kippers.

The best part is she's actually in charge or a department she wanted to scrap.

She wanted to replace the DIFD with a department for international trade which May created and then gave to Liam Fox.

Lol, the US spies on everyone.

Lol, thought much the same. Just because NSA haven't been caught bugging UK or GCHQ haven't been caught bugging France, doesn't mean it ain't happening. Personally I'd be more worried about the internal bugging than the bugging of friendly nations.

I've often wondered about things like man hours, super computers, and electricity bills when it comes to sifting through all the crap they are taking in. Welcome to the surveillance society.

She should forcibly exile remainers to a country of their choice in the EU. Everyone's happy! On a serious note, how good is the biotechnology sector in Europe?

Jonnax

Ucchedavāda;210001512 said:

The day after Cornwall voted 182,665 to 140,540 for leave despite having received £1 billion of EU aid in the past 15 years, John Pollard,the leader of Cornwall Council announced: “We will be insisting that Cornwall receives investment equal to that provided by the EU programme which has averaged £60m per year over the last ten years.”

Cornwall aswell.

I feel a kind of smugness in that the people that'll be the worst off are those that asked for it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
You can go fuck yourself if you're not going to pay that money for everyone that literally can't afford it. I assume we all have infinite money.

Is that how this works? We just tell everyone who doesn't have enough money to do something to go fuck themselves? That feels more like a right party policy to me...

Cornwall and Wales deserve everything that is coming their way. Ignorance is no excuse.

chadskin

Astley (North Norfolk) result:
LDEM: 40.8% (+40.8)
CON: 25.3% (-30.7)
UKIP: 17.0% (+17.0)
GRN: 10.4% (-15.9)
LAB: 6.5% (-11.3)

Lib Dems are taking over the UK North Norfolk. And Newquay Treviglas.

Newquay Treviglas (Cornwall) result:
LDEM: 57.8% (+32.9)
CON: 25.0% (-2.1)
LAB: 10.3% (-7.4)
IND: 6.9% (+6.9)
UKIP didn't stand.

And Trowbridge Grove.

Trowbridge Grove (Wiltshire) result:
LDEM: 45.9% (+45.9)
CON: 21.4% (+6.9)
UKIP: 13.4% (+13.4)
LAB: 8.4% (+8.4)
IND: 8.1% (+8.1)
GRN: 2.9%

Cornwall and Wales deserve everything that is coming their way. Ignorance is no excuse.

Many of them know about the EU money, signs are plastered all over the areas which get the dosh, it's just the old turkeys voting for Xmas routine, well hell fucking mend them, they will get what they deserve, nothing.

pigeon

Banned
did we also vote to give up our permanent seat on the UN security council?

there was life before the EU and they'll be life after. Acting like the UK didn't or doesn't matter is getting tiresome though.

I am actually kind of interested to see what happens to this if the UK does slide into mediocrity. The UN isn't old enough to have previously encountered situations where Security Council members underwent major changes in their global relevance.

Lib Dems are taking over the UK North Norfolk. And Newquay Treviglas.

And Trowbridge Grove.

IT'S ALL HAPPENING

Many of them know about the EU money, signs are plastered all over the areas which get the dosh, it's just the old turkeys voting for Xmas routine, well hell fucking mend them, they will get what they deserve, nothing.
But surely S̶y̶r̶i̶a̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶g̶e̶e̶s̶ E̶U̶ ̶i̶m̶m̶i̶g̶r̶a̶n̶t̶s̶ migrants are such a dire threat to very survival of the British people that this doesn't really matter?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wibsey excepted, that was an absolute shitefest for Labour. They were down in Islington North of all places!

pigeon

Banned
Council by-elections were held today

The @britainelects Twitter account has all the results.

Summary:

* Liberal Democrats won three seats
* Labour lost one seat
* UKIP lost one seat
* Tories broke even
* Plaid Cymru held its seat
* One independent seat was lost to Lib Dems, one independent seat was lost to a different independent candidate
* One result still to come

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just as a note, the Ind seat that fell to the Lib Dems saw a different Ind contest to the one that won the last time, so it wasn't a gain from the Ind from last time. Similarly, UKIP lost their seat because they didn't field a candidate.

Pandy

I am actually kind of interested to see what happens to this if the UK does slide into mediocrity. The UN isn't old enough to have previously encountered situations where Security Council members underwent major changes in their global relevance.
The imminent renewal of Trident, plus a new war somewhere we can conveniently 'assist' with minimal moral outrage, will help keep Britannia rattling the sabre for a few more years yet.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If?
Slide into?

We are probably the 4th most relevant country from a global security perspective, which is the point of the UN Security Council. It's not really our fault that the US and China are basically a category of their own these days. :p

EDIT: maybe 5th until we have to stop sharing our aircraft carriers with France, tbf.

Number45

Ucchedavāda;210001512 said:
Several weeks later and I'm still in complete shock when I see these articles crop up. I cannot comprehend what a large chunk of the population voted upon themselves.

Sure, but this affects all of us in Wales / Cornwall... not just those ignorant fools.
Yes, and others - something that often goes unsaid. I appreciate it's easy to look down on the UK right now but there's a lot of us here that didn't vote for it and certainly don't support the movement yet could very well be seriously affected because of it.

If?
Slide into?

Yeah. The UK as a global power has been done for years. Brexit isn't the cause, it's what will finally make that apparent.

England especially, is as relevant to modern civilisation as Greece and Italy is.

Even less so, because at least Greece and Italy have a tourism industry that isn't mostly localised to their capital cities. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom