• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zips

How easy is it to find work for people with a masters in public health.

Unfortunately can't say I'm an expert in that area, but the new Liberal government has made commitments to improving funding for healthcare and health projects in the country, which would presumably mean more job opportunities. Canada's public health system already takes up a huge amount of funding though, and is always still looking for more, so the stickler you might run into is still hitting against budget limitations.

In short - a positive, optimistic outlook right now, with some good changes from the prior Conservative government, but still more to be done. Your best bets would probably be looking into the areas that are receiving special funding, or maybe into areas especially working with the ageing population.

A couple things gathered from a quick perusal:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/federal-budget-2016-the-full-document (check out the healthcare section)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-budget-2016-main-1.3501802
https://ipolitics.ca/2016/02/18/liberal-government-restores-health-care-for-refugees/

Canada has a good position for the brain drain. With English as its main language and the new liberal PM, it's going to be attractive for UK graduates.

The only disadvantage is the high cost of visiting home. Unlike say, Berlin, where an average wage earner can easily afford a Ryan Air flight back home to frequently visit family (and wouldn't be stuck on a different continent in the case of family emergencies).

The shit state of British foreign language skills is the only thing that will save us from a truly catastrophic brain drain.
I think we'll see a lot of our best and brightest moving abroad, but family ties and language barriers will make it merely "very bad" rather than "Have a 3rd class degree? Apply for post-graduate studies at Cambridge now!"

Acorn

Canada has a good position for the brain drain. With English as its main language and the new liberal PM, it's going to be attractive for UK graduates.

The only disadvantage is the high cost of visiting home. Unlike say, Berlin, where an average wage earner can easily afford a Ryan Air flight back home to frequently visit family (and wouldn't be stuck on a different continent in the case of family emergencies).

The shit state of British foreign language skills is the only thing that will save us from a truly catastrophic brain drain.
I think we'll see a lot of our best and brightest moving abroad, but family ties and language barriers will make it merely "very bad" rather than "Have a 3rd class degree? Apply for post-graduate studies at Cambridge now!"
Don't think you're far off in regards to our language skills.

As an aside I've been trying to learn Swedish for two years on and off still no closer to my goal. Heh.

Best

Lack of language skills is only really going to be a problem in France because in general they are too up their own arse about people learning French. I think a brain drain and relocation of firms to other countries will only improve the ease at which you can get by with English on the continent.

nickcv

Lack of language skills is only really going to be a problem in France because in general they are too up their own arse about people learning French. I think a brain drain and relocation of firms to other countries will only improve the ease at which you can get by with English on the continent.

Sorry but this attitude really pisses me off.

If you move to another country you should try to learn the local language. It's ok if you don't know it at the beginning but the whole "I just wanna speak English and they have to learn my language" attitude is revolting. If you don't want to try learning another language stay in your home country or go to live in countries that already speak your language.

The level of entitlement of some native English speakers is insane

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sorry but this attitude really pisses me off.

If you move to another country you should try to learn the local language. It's ok if you don't know it at the beginning but the whole "I just wanna speak English and they have to learn my language" attitude is revolting. If you don't want to try learning another language stay in your home country of go to live in countries that already speak your language.

The level of entitlement of some native English speakers is insane

This.

Fuck, I feel guilty for not even trying to attempt the language while on holiday. I hear this quite a lot from people who holiday abroad, and in the next breath (not literally) they curse da imagrents for not speaking English.

Tak3n

Banned
British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Friday that the government would not trigger Article 50, the formal trigger of divorce talks with the European Union, until a "UK approach" had been agreed.

I don't really get her statement here, as it is clearly obvious Scotland and England are poles apart here, so unless May is planning on using Scotland as a scapegoat to say they are the reason we are accepting free movement...

anything below a Norway deal will be thrown out by the Scottish, and Sturgeon can never agree to any deal that does not follow that as she would look like a complete wally if she did

pigeon

Banned
I don't really get her statement here, as it is clearly obvious Scotland and England are poles apart here, so unless May is planning on using Scotland as a scapegoat to say they are the reason we are accepting free movement...

anything below a Norway deal will be thrown out by the Scottish, and Sturgeon can never agree to any deal that does not follow that as she would look like a complete wally if she did

The statement is "oh God, I don't want to do article 50. Let's set a requirement that is impossible before we do it."

Classic project manager deflection technique. Whatever else she may be, May is good at basic management strategies!

nekkid

Not really. Let's not pretend swathes of people north of the border didn't vote to leave the EU.

PJV3

From her talk of being open to options I guess she isn't afraid to look at constitutional arrangements at home. Davis seems to think he's got it all worked out already so I'm expecting fucking fireworks.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Can't seem to find it now, but I saw an article yesterday about how Canada should be looking to take advantage of Brexit and try to attract the UK's best and brightest as they abandon ship.

It's interesting to see so much open talk of how countries are/are going to be looking to pick apart the UK. The vultures are circling...

Let's just say I'm doing my part, but she was Canadian in the first place. Nevermind the fact that she'll be bringing her family too.

Muhahahahaha, thanks UK!

Armaros

Let's not ignore 62% being pretty bloody definitive. Especially since its more than the "settled" indy ref...

Especially with how people stated the Brexit Margin meant a Mandate.

The margin for Scotland voting to stay should be many times stronger than that.

Let's not ignore 62% being pretty bloody definitive. Especially since its more than the "settled" indy ref...

Especially the referendum was, of course, advisory. Ergo it should in theory be informing policy in general in light of the vote, not merely forcing the government to follow through on what a singular result said.

So if Scotland voted to stay, however the hell it complicates matters that fact should be taken into account when trying to figure this all out going forward.

Acorn

Good read, if she does choose to punt it to the long grass, her using Scotland as a reason is very plausible, by saying negotiations on a UK way forward is what is taking so long
Terrible long - medium term strategy if she really is a unionist. We'd become the new eu boogeyman in the English press.

Audioboxer

Uh, what? 62% is hardly close, it's a 24% lead for god sake

Gotta try and spin something into saying it was close and you can't do that by saying 100% of regions voted Remain, 0% Leave.

Don't worry if we approach an indyref2 Better Together are going to go ham on saying 62% is "nothing".

nekkid

Uh, what? 62% is hardly close, it's a 24% lead for god sake

My point is it's not black and white. Saying they're "poles apart" (which would be, by definition, 0% and 100%) and suggesting that they should be treated differently is as ludicrous as dealing with every constituency that voted to stay differently than the rest of the nation.

PJV3

Terrible long - medium term strategy if she really is a unionist. We'd become the new eu boogeyman in the English press.

I know it's going to be odd after years of bad short term political games under Cameron, but I think May is going to play a pretty straight bat, and that will probably go down very well in Brussels.

I think she might be able to get a deal for Scotland somehow.

AHA-Lambda

My point is it's not black and white. Saying they're "poles apart" and suggesting that they should be treated differently is as ludicrous as dealing with every constituency that voted to stay differently than the rest of the nation.

Except it's not ludicrous, scotland is not a constituency it is a nation; one that is threatening independence again.

2 out of 4 nations voted to stay, hence also the talks of unification in ireland, but that was much closer than scotland's vote.

I believe Scotland voted the strongest anywhere in the UK bar london and Gibraltar in favour of staying, it has to be seriously considered as ignoring it threatens the union.

Acorn

My point is it's not black and white. Saying they're "poles apart" (which would be, by definition, 0% and 100%) and suggesting that they should be treated differently is as ludicrous as dealing with every constituency that voted to stay differently than the rest of the nation.
Ah you're one of those "pat on head scotland". Good to know you don't need to be listened to.

Bioshocker

So happy for the UK. Good for you voting to leave this political union. I'm sure things will work out just fine. I hope we in Sweden will follow, but since we always want to be no 1 in class in obeying the EU, we'll probably not leave until the rest of the Western countries have already left.

Acorn

I know it's going to be odd after years of bad short term political games under Cameron, but I think May is going to play a pretty straight bat, and that will probably go down very well in Brussels.

I think she might be able to get a deal for Scotland somehow.
I hope so. First time I've seen Sturgeon happy about any meeting with a tory so there's that lol

Zaph

So happy for the UK. Good for you voting to leave this political union. I'm sure things will work out just fine. I hope we in Sweden will follow, but since we always want to be no 1 in class in obeying the EU, we'll probably not leave until the rest of the Western countries have already left.

I'd save the champagne until we actually leave and you see what it does to our economy and social services. There's a reason anti-EU groups in other member states have gone quiet about leaving too.

Tak3n

Banned
Travel firm Lowcosttravelgroup has collapsed into administration affecting 27,000 customers currently in resorts and 110,000 with bookings.

Market turbulence surrounding the EU referendum result - including the fall in the value of the pound which dissuaded many customers from travelling - was blamed.

Now don't get me wrong, I know this will happen, but it will be all to easy to start blaming Brexit...

They must of allready been in a lot of trouble

nekkid

Except it's not ludicrous, scotland is not a constituency it is a nation; one that is threatening independence again.

2 out of 4 nations voted to stay, hence also the talks of unification in ireland, but that was much closer than scotland's vote.

I believe Scotland voted the strongest anywhere in the UK bar london and Gibraltar in favour of staying, it has to be seriously considered as ignoring it threatens the union.

This is a good point, perhaps "ludicrous" was too strong. But for now they are part of the UK, and until there is a clean separation then it's up to the government to do what's best to satisfy as many people as possible.

Ah you're one of those "pat on head scotland". Good to know you don't need to be listened to.

Condescending. Nice.

AHA-Lambda

hahahahaha, you've not been reading this thread have you? :p

Acorn

This is a good point, perhaps "ludicrous" was too strong. But for now they are part of the UK, and until there is a clean separation then it's up to the government to do what's best to satisfy as many people as possible.

Condescending. Nice.
Condescending response to a condescending quote :)

oti

Banned

Glad to see you back, Tak3n. 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom