• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Started reading David Aaronvitchs tweets, he's been going hard on Brexiteers. Pretty amusing to see him pissed at the right.

Xun

Mhmm.

9INdWNH.jpg

Theonik

I don't think TM would have a Brexit and international trade minister if this was her plan.
As of right now this point of her intentions remains unclear. Tory majority is paper thin so she can't risk a fracture at this point. Overtly ignoring the plebiscite would be ill advised. The other problem is she needs some Brexit mps in her cabinet regardless of her ultimate intent to at least maintain appearances and unite her party.

Regardless of outcome, this move is necessary in implementing or not the result the risk being a view that she sabotaged Brexit if she didn't which I assume hardcore Brexit voters will do in any outcome.

Apparently he's surprised it's not called Constantianople any more.
But it is!

The Pound Sterling has given back most of its post-May gains. Presumably as people realise that, even though rates aren't going to be cut right now, they will be.

The divergence in the markets is more telling than the actual levels they're holding at.
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Ffastft%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2FThe_post-Brexit_FTSE_100s_divergence-bar_chart-ft-web-themelarge-600x435.png

Basically if your earnings are mainly in dollars and/or from overseas, you're having a great time.

Bleepey

Pretty good, actually. Look into it seriously.

Unfortunately can't say I'm an expert in that area, but the new Liberal government has made commitments to improving funding for healthcare and health projects in the country, which would presumably mean more job opportunities. Canada's public health system already takes up a huge amount of funding though, and is always still looking for more, so the stickler you might run into is still hitting against budget limitations.

In short - a positive, optimistic outlook right now, with some good changes from the prior Conservative government, but still more to be done. Your best bets would probably be looking into the areas that are receiving special funding, or maybe into areas especially working with the ageing population.

A couple things gathered from a quick perusal:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/federal-budget-2016-the-full-document (check out the healthcare section)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-budget-2016-main-1.3501802
https://ipolitics.ca/2016/02/18/liberal-government-restores-health-care-for-refugees/

Cheers i'll check out.

Hasney

How's the pound been doing these past 2 weeks? What are the forecasts in the short-term?

Went below 1.3 to the dollar, interest rates were expected to be cut, but they weren't so it started rising again.

Likely to drop again if interest rates are cur next month as predicted.

Bioshocker

I'd save the champagne until we actually leave and you see what it does to our economy and social services. There's a reason anti-EU groups in other member states have gone quiet about leaving too.

I'd actually drink champagne now AND when the UK leave. :)

Of course it's going to be a bumpy road at first. The negotiations will take years. But Theresa May seems determined to make this work, although it seems the leaders in the EU don't want the UK to be an example of how well things can work even without the political union. But really, if you don't want a European superstate, what's the alternative to leaving? EU is beyond reform.

Number45

Any new leader would be "determined to make it work" (if you've got the stomach for it, right now probably seems like a fantastic opportunity to do something amazing) but that doesn't mean the tools exist for that to happen.

Sorry if this has been posted: http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/07/14/everything-you-need-to-know-about-theresa-may-s-brexit

I recommend reading it with a beer or 5...

This should have been posted through letterboxes by the remain camp before the vote.

Everyone should read, perfectly sums up the contents of the two Brexit threads here.

The more I think on it the more I come to the conclusion that a fudged Brexit, we're out but not really, is the most likely outcome. Pretty much EEA with our government back peddling on the whole freedom of movement thing.

The other interesting option remains the reverse Greenland discussed earlier. Don't think its as likely as kowtowing to EEA, but a federalisation deal for Scotland/London/Gibraltar might be enough to save the Capital and the union while still allowing a full Brexit and WTO rules for the rest of the UK. Just means we'll funnel even more of our economy through London than we do now.

Oh, the Chinese curse - May we live in interesting times.

Also, this CGP Grey vid posted earlier is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_I2rfApYk

The Pound Sterling has given back most of its post-May gains. Presumably as people realise that, even though rates aren't going to be cut right now, they will be.

The divergence in the markets is more telling than the actual levels they're holding at.
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Ffastft%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2FThe_post-Brexit_FTSE_100s_divergence-bar_chart-ft-web-themelarge-600x435.png

Basically if your earnings are mainly in dollars and/or from overseas, you're having a great time.

Well any kind of brexit or general stock market worries always have people flocking to mining, energy, gold.

Also, ITV, Tesco, Morrisons, SSE are UK based and have held well

Things like Persimmon, Taylor Wimpey have inflated share price rises in 2015 which naturally has some selling off. They're back to 2015 levels.
Persimmon chart
xyVb.jpg

Dixons is a fast evolving tech store story that could flip flop at any time without brexit. Would not touch with a ten foot barge pole. This sector has been dropping like flies for the last ten years.

Lloyds is on life support before any notion of brexit and has been lower many times. Some think it should've closed a while back, like some other banks around the world, which are still in trouble like deutsche bank

Should note I'm for remain but there's a lot of selective finger pointing, trying to ram home the point to leavers after a few weeks of the vote. No shit has hit the fan yet.

avaya

Well any kind of brexit or general stock market worries always have people flocking to mining, energy, gold.

Also, ITV, Tesco, Morrisons, SSE are UK based and have held well

Things like Persimmon, Taylor Wimpey have inflated share price rises in 2015 which naturally has some selling off. They're back to 2015 levels.
xyVb.jpg

Dixons is a fast evolving tech store story that could flip flop at any time without brexit. Would not touch with a ten foot barge pole. This sector has been dropping like flies for the last ten years.

Lloyds is on life support before any notion of brexit and has been lower many times. Some think it should've closed a while back, like some other banks around the world, which are still in trouble like deutsche bank

ITV is fucked. It relies on ads and that discretionary spend in the UK is in the toilet at least in the near term.

Tesco and Morrisons along with the other food retailers are going to get a positive run up because food inflation via the FX shock allows them to increase prices via stealth and expand margins.

SSE up for a similar reason, they can hide price increases within normal wholesale cost increases.

Lloyds can't go bankrupt unless you want to tank the economy.

kharma45

Now don't get me wrong, I know this will happen, but it will be all to easy to start blaming Brexit...

They must of allready been in a lot of trouble

They were, this is just an easy thing to blame. They were operating on razor thin margins and had quite rapid growth on that.

King_Moc

Banned

Yep, I've actually done well out of brexit so far. I had thousands in National Grid shares and they went from about £9.30 to £11.47. So i sold them and now I'm just waiting to see what happens in the housing market.

I'd still rather we stayed in though, as I don't particularly want to see my country completely fuck itself economically and become completely irrelevant. But that's what happens when you ask the people, I guess.

Beefy

Been looking for jobs since I lost mine the other day. All it is is tele-sales and agency work. I can only see it getting worse.

I'd actually drink champagne now AND when the UK leave. :)

Of course it's going to be a bumpy road at first. The negotiations will take years. But Theresa May seems determined to make this work, although it seems the leaders in the EU don't want the UK to be an example of how well things can work even without the political union. But really, if you don't want a European superstate, what's the alternative to leaving? EU is beyond reform.

Maybe stay until that supposed European superstate actually starts to happen? I realize that the UK is deeply entrenched, because it lost it's own currency and has adopted the Euro, is part of the Schengen system and... oh wait...

Joni

Europe wants to make it work, but it won't give the UK more than it gave other countries. Why should UK get a better EEA deal than Norway? Get a better non-EEA deal than the USA? ... As for the European superstate, if only the UK had negotiated an out for all those things it didn't want. Oh wait, it did have that.

Hasney

Of course it is.... One day. It just depends on the terms of that deal, like the article says

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said a free trade agreement with the UK was a priority, although such treaties are complicated and can be time-consuming.

The Aussies and other places like Canada were always going to want a deal. How that transpires and when its finalised are the key parts.

Par Score

The Aussies and other places like Canada were always going to want a deal. How that transpires and when its finalised are the key parts.

Also, Australia (+New Zealand) and Canada make up a piddling fraction of our trade, but we make up a significant portion of theirs. Of course they want a deal.

It will still take a decade to set up.

Harmen

Yeah, announcing that a trade deal will happen doesn't really say that much. Like most (all?) trade deals, it will take a long time to establish it and as others have said, it won't be before exiting the EU. The mere fact that trade deals will happen is not surprising.

Hasney

Plus, we need to figure out how we fit into the EU after we leave, as that's the trade deal/single market access we want, but it will also define how or if we can have these deals.

Also, Australia (+New Zealand) and Canada make up a piddling fraction of our trade, but we make up a significant portion of theirs. Of course they want a deal.

It will still take a decade to set up.
The EU-Canada deal will be in place before the UK can make one with Canada probably.

Kathian

Banned
Yeah, announcing that a trade deal will happen doesn't really say that much. Like most (all?) trade deals, it will take a long time to establish it and as others have said, it won't be before exiting the EU. The mere fact that trade deals will happen is not surprising.

Not to mention we still need to take time ourselves to highlight downsides and upsides.

BibiMaghoo

How is this news.
How can May lie to people and say that this is a good sign.
This would've happened anyway.
This isn't a win, it's business as usual.

Those who announce their intentions for a deal now, before Brexit, are essentially at the front of the queue. The backroom deals start long before we will hear anything about it.

If this page is correct (2014 numbers), then Australia accounts for ~1.2% of your exports, and ~0.5% of your imports. I'm not sure it would actually be in your best interest to spend your resources (people) negotiating this deal any time soon, considering that you also need to negotiate deals with much bigger trading partners.

EDIT: Conversely, the UK accounts for ~1.3% of Australia's exports and ~2.6% of their imports.

kmag

I suggest people have a read at TPP before talking about a free trade deal with Australia. Essentially TPP once ratified will, a bit like the EU, stop Australia or any other TPP country from offering preferential tariffs to any 3rd country outside of TPP (preferential in this regard means better or equal to TPP)

They are allowed to cut preferential export deals though, but any import deal has to be worse than what TPP offers meaning that the UK will always be a competitive disadvantage (you know ignoring the distances etc) compared to internal TPP competitors.

I think if TPP is to go through, it'll go through before the UK could sign any deal with Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom