• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second referendum polling is telling. People seem to prefer the notion of deciding this at a General Election. But half of people (presumably Leavers) want no ballot at all.

Linkyn

I still think he won't last long, not due to a fuck up, he's just notorious for hating the amount of work involved.

It's really a shame that most of the representative functions of the UK are covered by the royal family. If Boris didn't run off his mouth so often, he might have been a decent British president.

PJV3

The second referendum polling is telling. People seem to prefer the notion of deciding this at a General Election. But half of people (presumably Leavers) want no ballot at all.

I'm not expecting many people to be keen on a replay yet, it's just to soon and nothing has happened at all. A deal could be reached due to Scotland that makes everyone happy to a degree.

A bit silly for Smith to raise it at this point, Tories are for out, Libdems are for in, Labour should just concentrate on being in the real world for now.

PJV3

EU-Canada still many many years to go. Lot of countries to deal with, some still rejected. There is no process for years so far.

Are you sure? I remember an EU press release from a week ago saying the EU was now able to provisionally apply the treaty after getting the votes needed.

Pandy

ComRes poll

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...esa-may-general-election-voters-a7140721.html

c2.png

How do 34% of people know who Owen Smith is?
I'd say the 39% 'Don't Know' are the people that know who Owen Smith is.

The 34% are just those buying the established narrative of 'anyone but Corbyn', as if that would magically solve Labour's problems.

SteveWD40

I'm not expecting many people to be keen on a replay yet, it's just to soon and nothing has happened at all. A deal could be reached due to Scotland that makes everyone happy to a degree.

A bit silly for Smith to raise it at this point, Tories are for out, Libdems are for in, Labour should just concentrate on being in the real world for now.

The Scotland thing intrigues me, another way to stall / never active A50. Scotland are essentially being given an unofficial veto.

I am hearing rumours of Merkel trying to make deals from within the EU to make sweeping changes and then ask us to vote again post reforms. They know we won't be the first to go if it does happen.

(These rumours are literally that, I am not connected to be clear).

PJV3

The Scotland thing intrigues me, another way to stall / never active A50. Scotland are essentially being given an unofficial veto.

I am hearing rumours of Merkel trying to make deals from within the EU to make sweeping changes and then ask us to vote again post reforms. They know we won't be the first to go if it does happen.

(These rumours are literally that, I am not connected to be clear).

Hammond himself mentioned the EU being very close to changing and us leaving being stupid, because we drive that agenda. Sarkozy is also talking about pushing that agenda if elected, so the big 3 would on the Same side.

EU-Canada still many many years to go. Lot of countries to deal with, some still rejected. There is no process for years so far.
The agreement is pretty much done. Being hand over to the countries for signing. Some want to vote on it still and we need to wait how that goes. Will take some time, but certainly the largest part is done.

Following a decision by the Council, it will be possible to provisionally apply CETA. Its full entering into force will be subject to the conclusion by the EU, through a Council decision with the consent of the European Parliament, and by all Member States through the relevant national ratification procedures.
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2371_en.htm

PJV3

So the rest of the UK could get free trade with the EU by going via Scotland? Seems like a boon for Scotland - especially any shipping merchants.

Seems implausible in reality, though.

Wouldn't it just be the same as it is now for redistribution of non EU produced goods?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
What do we want from Australia or New Zealand ..... Lamb?

It will be interesting to see the detail of these proposed free trade deals and how much they are actually worth

Automotive components. Especially in the Motorsport industry.

nekkid

Wouldn't it just be the same as it is now for redistribution of non EU produced goods?

Wouldn't that require border control between Scotland and UK? If they were in the EU and UK, then there'd be free movement and free trade between both. People could gain access to the UK via Scotland, the same goes for goods.

PJV3

Wouldn't that require border control between Scotland and UK? If they were in the EU and UK, then there'd be free movement and free trade between both. People could gain access to the UK via Scotland, the same goes for goods.

Labeling etc is going to stop it, you would have to move production wouldn't you?

Kathian

Banned
So the rest of the UK could get free trade with the EU by going via Scotland? Seems like a boon for Scotland - especially any shipping merchants.

Seems implausible in reality, though.

Likely would be more a licencing deal.

- EU citizens free to move in Scotland and cross into England but do not have right to live, work or take benefits in England. UK border force would be able to manage this and it's not like EU citizens will be blocked from arriving in rUK anyway. Scottish and rUK citizens can move freely and work freely within the UK.

- EU goods would be tariff free in Scotland but not in rUK.

- Scottish Manufacturers and Service companies would apply for Licence to export tariff free into the EU. Smaller companies could easily get this automatically whilst larger companies would simply gain licence dependent that goods or services are based in Scotland and not UK.

- Scottish law has been distinct forever and Scotland is already legally obliged to follow EU regulations and laws.

It's really not impossible and there are many many different scenarios. Likely Scotland could not be an EU member; the UK would have associate membership. Likes of Mundell are being flippant out of hand - they don't like it as they fear it strengthens independence.

Now the big caveat above will be the UKs deal with the EU. Scotland and rUK would share a border but potentially Scottish firms will have to declare UK revenues and vice versa and pay tariffs on that.

Honestly the big question will be movement of capital but I don't see anyone in Europe not agreeing that as the first step in the rUK tariff deal. Additional to this Scotland I feel would need to become more independent - with FFA and it's own currency in a few years.

Scotland would then;
- Contribute to the UK budget with a common defence; security and foreign policy.
- Contribute to the EU budget with a common trade;regulator and area.

Now it will not be this clear cut and Scotland's arrangement will not be her own will but be based on the agreement the rUK gets (I.e. any change in that relationship could change Scotland's relationship with the EU). So whether Scotland can do all this without sovereignty is a big big question.

Overall Sturgeon has played this well. Shes seen in a positive light in Europe and has made sure Scotland is part of the discussions whilst seeking to work on a solution with rUK.

nekkid

Labeling etc is going to stop it, you would have to move production wouldn't you?

Just as an example, Tesco have a portion of an aisle where they sell goods from the US. Tesco (or some other merchant) has paid the tax on those imported goods, and is free to sell them to someone else (i.e. me) without me being liable to any additional duties.

What's to stop merchants buying from the EU with zero duties, at which point it is the property of said merchant in Scotland (but more importantly, the property of merchant in the UK), then selling to someone in England? You might just end up with a bunch of warehouses popping up in Scotland owned by independent merchants and bigger retailers (where those don't already exist).

Edit: just read that back - hope it doesn't come across as patronising. I'm genuinely curious as to how in that scenario there could be any legal prevention of free transfer of goods from the EU to England (and vice versa, of course).

PJV3

Just as an example, Tesco have a portion of an aisle where they sell goods from the US. Tesco (or some other merchant) has paid the tax on those imported goods, and is free to sell them to someone else (i.e. me) without me being liable to any additional duties.

What's to stop merchants buying from the EU with zero duties, at which point it is the property of said merchant in Scotland (but more importantly, the property of merchant in the UK), then selling to someone in England? You might just end up with a bunch of warehouses popping up in Scotland owned by independent merchants and bigger retailers (where those don't already exist).

OK I get you now, yeah the other direction is trickier, A lot more work for HMRC for a start.

Tak3n

Banned
sensed this was going to happen, I expect them to say anyone pre referendum can stay but all others now have to leave/apply for visa

Some European Union citizens may not be allowed to stay in Britain after the U.K. leaves the bloc, the U.K. minister in charge of negotiating the divorce has said.

"We may have to say that the right to indefinite leave to remain protection only applies before a certain date," he said. "But you have to make those judgments on reality, not speculation."

Davis said he believes Britain will be able to retain access to the single market while opting out of the EU's right to free movement. EU leaders say that's impossible, that the free movement of people is a key right, but Davis said "everybody is taking starting positions."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-minister-eu-migrants-may-leave-uk-093206256--finance.html

nekkid

Is there any chance that the bulk of leavers wouldn't notice if we told them we had left, but actually didn't??

PJV3

Ah David "well the EU is just going to have to bend over and take it" Davis. Negotiations should go well.

Jesus, my opinion of him fell through the floor the last few days, he's just been mouthing off for years, he hasn't got a Scooby's.

BigAl1992

sensed this was going to happen, I expect them to say anyone pre referendum can stay but all others now have to leave/apply for visa

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-minister-eu-migrants-may-leave-uk-093206256--finance.html

He's just playing into the EU's hands with this. They will eat him alive if he really tries to push that with them via negotiators in the Talks post Article 50. They already shut down Switzerland when they tried to push that and that's been two years since they had a referendum on that.

Zaph

Davis said he believes Britain will be able to retain access to the single market while opting out of the EU's right to free movement. EU leaders say that's impossible, that the free movement of people is a key right, but Davis said "everybody is taking starting positions."

How long do you think we'll be in this ridiculous stalemate before the Brexit team admits publicly the four freedoms are non-negotiatble, and not a starting position? 2 years? 3?

avaya

Davis is one those Ken Clarke referred to as genuine loonies who believe we will be economically better off outside of the single market.

The sheer calibre of the people entering into these talks with the EU are laughably poor. Even twats like Djisselboem will run rings around them. Not that it matters, the leverage the EU has here is immense.

suedester

Banned
I like how some Leavers here are so quick to point out that the EU accounts not for a majority of trade, but merely 46%. And then get excited about some Australian trade deal when that's not even 2% of trade.

I voted remain so that's fucked up your assumptions hasn't it. I'm just not sitting here hoping the country burns.

avaya

I voted remain so that's fucked up your assumptions hasn't it. I'm just not sitting here hoping the country burns.

There's no need to hope for it. Best case scenario now is we keep access, passport and become EU bitch boy. Which is the likely scenario.

Worst case is slow and steady regression, which would be well deserved for voting out of xenophobia, prejudice and unabashed ignorance.

PJV3

Davis is one those Ken Clarke referred to as genuine loonies who believe we will be economically better off outside of the single market.

The sheer calibre of the people entering into these talks with the EU are laughably poor. Even twats like Djisselboem will run rings around them. Not that it matters, the leverage the EU has here is immense.

Yeah, he's achieved nothing of note except winning a by-election where labour and the Libdems didn't stand. He gets credit for standing against civil liberty abuses* but I don't see the relevance for the job ahead.

* He didn't vote to repeal section 28 so it obviously only matters when it suits him.

nekkid

There's no need to hope for it. Best case scenario now is we keep access, passport and become EU bitch boy. Which is the likely scenario.

Worst case is slow and steady regression, which would be well deserved for voting out of xenophobia, prejudice and unabashed ignorance.

"My bookies got turned into a Polish supermarket".

avaya

Yeah, he's achieved nothing of note except winning a by-election where labour and the Libdems didn't stand. He gets credit for standing against civil liberty abuses* but I don't see the relevance for the job ahead.

* He didn't vote to repeal section 28 so it obviously only matters when it suits him.

The relevance comes from his ardent eurosceptiscm. A principled moron. It's a politically astute calculation from May. So none of the mentals can come back saying he didn't fight for them, he wasn't a true leaver etc. after the EU hands him his ass.

Maledict

The relevance comes from his ardent eurosceptiscm. A principled moron. It's a politically astute calculation from May. So none of the mentals can come back saying he didn't fight for them, he wasn't a true leaver etc. after the EU hands him his ass.

The problem is that Davis is so freaking insane, he would actually leave Europe completely and not have access to the single market if needs be. It's utterly insane, but he also thinks we can have a dozen trade agreements ready to go for when we leave.

Either May will have to go along with his plan and we leave Europe *hard*, or she'll end up kicking him out of cabinet at some point.

PJV3

Yeah, reverse Greenland for Scotland, NI and Gibraltar at least seems like the best solution. Not sure how feasible it would be to include London in that.

You would hope, but as it's been said, Davis would probably prefer to change the common travel area and risk restarting the troubles than compromise on the sovereignty nonsense.

avaya

The problem is that Davis is so freaking insane, he would actually leave Europe completely and not have access to the single market if needs be. It's utterly insane, but he also thinks we can have a dozen trade agreements ready to go for when we leave.

Either May will have to go along with his plan and we leave Europe *hard*, or she'll end up kicking him out of cabinet at some point.

I think she is betting on him having a come to Jesus moment when the EU doesn't budge, the lobbying kicks up several notches and the reality of the legal situation sinks in.

Yeah, reverse Greenland for Scotland, NI and Gibraltar at least seems like the best solution. Not sure how feasible it would be to include London in that.

Would be nice to include London but I suspect it would be considerably harder for both political (would be a bit strange to have the English seat of power in the EU but the rest of the country outside) and practical (unlike Scotland and NI, London does not have a separate legal system nor a devolved parliament) reasons.

PJV3

Would be nice to include London but I suspect it would be considerably harder for both political (would be a bit strange to have the English seat of power in the EU but the rest of the country outside) and practical (unlike Scotland and NI, London does not have a separate legal system nor a devolved parliament) reasons.

English parliament based in the Midlands which should have happened years ago and might have channelled frustration into something positive by now.

It wouldn't be that hard to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom