• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Blackpool on holiday a couple of years ago!

It was depressing.

Went for a saturday a few weeks ago. The sea life centre was alright if a bit small (they had a snorkel with sharks in the tank thing which was pretty fun!)and pleasure beach was ok , certainly wouldn't spend any longer there though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
UKIP Councillor calls for people to start shooting Remainers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36842940

_90456923_img_2871-2.jpg

_90461877_capture.jpg

Well at least I know if I ever become brain dead I can still use the world wide web.

PJV3

Went for a saturday a few weeks ago. The sea life centre was alright if a bit small (they had a snorkel with sharks in the tank thing which was pretty fun!)and pleasure beach was ok , certainly wouldn't spend any longer there though.

When we finally get independence and British working conditions you won't be getting much holiday anyway.

Apt101

I saw Blackpool on an episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, so Blackpool from like nine years ago. It certainly looked depressing to me. I was surprised it was considered some kind of resort area.

When we finally get independence and British working conditions you won't be getting much holiday anyway.

If all goes well, I'll get a post doc somewhere out of the country by then anyway so it won't be my problem.

I saw Blackpool on an episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, so Blackpool from like nine years ago. It certainly looked depressing to me. I was surprised it was considered some kind of resort area.

"Resort" is a very loose term for blackpool.

DiGiKerot

Blackpool was great when I was twelve and arcade games were still a thing!

Maybe not so much somewhere I'd want to go these days, though.

Dougald

Half my family is from Blackpool. When I was a kid I'd spend all my time in the arcades and wonder why they ever moved down south. Once I got to about 14 I realised how seedy the town was, and it was then I understood why everyone moved.

I suspect it's even tattier these days unfortunately...

Mivey

The microprossor company ARM, one of the few previously independant UK technology success stories, are in the process of bent bought by Japanese company SoftBank.
Wasn't this spun as a positive by the government, since currently Softbank will leave the headquarters and facilities in the UK?
It looks like it was once a nice holiday destination. Probably 30+ years ago. Now it's a mess.
I dunno, I think it looked quite promising just a while ago:

Protome

Pfft, so many Blackpool apologists.
/s

It looks like it was once a nice holiday destination. Probably 30+ years ago. Now it's a mess.

I couldn't find any "real" (see: video game) arcades when I was there outside the odd Guitar Hero cabinet.

My brother in law did almost bankrupt himself on claw machines though, trying to win a Pooh Bear teddie wearing a onesie for his girlfriend. Made more funny by the fact that all the shops in the area straight up sell the tat from the claw machines but he couldn't find the specific one she wanted in any of them. And that I only tried the claw machines twice and won things both times.

Dougald

I couldn't find any "real" (see: video game) arcades when I was there outside the odd Guitar Hero cabinet.

Coral Island and one of the piers (I forget which one) used to be the place to go in the 90s. Probably all grabbers and fruit machines now.

Almost impossible to find a good arcade these days, though completely off-topic, in one of the arcades in Weymouth there is an original Pac Mania machine in the back, still working and still only 10p.

Zafir

I only went once and that was when I was pretty young. Quite a while ago now. Was a bit run down then even.

From what my parents told me, it was more of an holiday place back when they were younger. That's what, 40 odd years ago now.

I grew up camping / caravanning around the UK D: I finally get the capital to enable me to go abroad and this happens making it all more expensive! I want to go explore the world :(
The £ > € is around 1 > 1.20 which is better than it was only 3 years ago. Its seemed artificially high for a couple of years tbh.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why don't you guys accept that May made Boris foreign minister because he asked for it, simply because he dropped out and gave her the path to be PM? Much more credible than some wishful 4th dimensional chess and typical UK politics.

PJV3

Why don't you guys accept that May made Boris foreign minister because he asked for it, simply because he dropped out and gave her the path to be PM? Much more credible than some wishful 4th dimensional chess and typical UK politics.

I'm not a believer in the 4th dimensional chess stuff, but Gove blew Johnson out of the water not a deal with May.

Talking about holiday destinations, you guys should try the Highlands if you're into nature and whisky. Taking the train to Oban from Glasgow and then a ferry to the islands is really cool and there's shitloads of excellent sea food everywhere.

... not that great if you want to get a tan though, I'll give you that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well, it looks like I'll be visiting London in a couple of weeks, spending some hard currency for the benefit of your economy.

Too bad I can't bring some
(disgustingly intense atm)
Iberian sunlight with me. I hope the weather is not too damp by then. Humid heat is the worst.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I was going to buy a cheap house in Blackpool, but then I found out 'why' they are so cheap. It turns out all the prisons dump their ex-cons there, including a unusual high proportion of sex offenders. I wish I was kidding, but the high crime rate there exists for a reason.

To be fair only the GE and referendum results are really relevant since the two others are just a reflection of the GE result. Still, yeah, it's pretty difficult to argue the politics of Scotland and rUK are not diverging.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
To be fair only the GE and referendum results are really relevant since the two others are just a reflection of the GE result. Still, yeah, it's pretty difficult to argue the politics of Scotland and rUK are not diverging.

I'd say that the referendum results are also reflective of the GE. You have one fairly popular party in Scotland right now, who were vocally pro-remain. You would expect the voters to largely back that stance.

Protome

I'd say that the referendum results are also reflective of the GE. You have one fairly popular party in Scotland right now, who were vocally pro-remain. You would expect the voters to largely back that stance.

EU membership being up in the air was also one of the two arguments that stuck during the IndieRef. The No campaign was throwing anything against the wall but EU membership and the Currency thing were the only two that really seemed to matter. And now EU membership is being taken from us against our will.

I don't think it's quite that simple. I haven't seen numbers for how Scottish Tory voters voted, but from the SNP's numbers they most probably voted strongly Remain as well, in contrast to their English counterparts, so support for the EU exists across the political spectrum in Scotland. Of course Ruth Davidson was a Remain leader so the same could be said about them, but on the other hand Cameron and Osborne completely failed to pull off the same trick in England.

Audioboxer

England is basically a larger version of Florida right now except with fewer firearms, isn't it? EU citizenship was robbed from Londoners too, against our will. Referendum now for Lexit.

It's more like imagine if Trump becomes President and his shitty followers are rubbing it all in the faces of others and have amassed a majority of the public vote so shitty votes win and impact massively on lives.

Scotland is like 100% against Trump but England as a larger country have enough Trump voters to make the Scots cry and get dragged along.

Think about how it feels to be a non-Trump English person though. You're about to lose Scotland and be all on your own with a country that's looking like it will continue this downward slope of voting for shit into the future.

Instead of Trump though I guess we now have the unelected Margaret Thatcher 2.0 who would push the nuclear button no problem.

The problem with those maps is they're showing area rather than population, so the Tories look far more dominant in England than they really are.

Audioboxer

The problem with those maps is they're showing area rather than population, so the Tories look far more dominant in England than they really are.

True but I think it's more biased towards showing how Scotland votes nothing like England in the wider picture. We've rejected the parties that are available UK wide and vote for our own.

Then on MP votes it just shows the SNP don't vote like Conservative, or large parts of Labour. For the war on Syria and Trident that is.

It's more like imagine if Trump becomes President and his shitty followers are rubbing it all in the faces of others and have amassed a majority of the public vote so shitty votes win and impact massively on lives.

Scotland is like 100% against Trump but England as a larger country have enough Trump voters to make the Scots cry and get dragged along.

Think about how it feels to be a non-Trump English person though. You're about to lose Scotland and be all on your own with a country that's looking like it will continue this downward slope of voting for shit into the future.

Instead of Trump though I guess we now have the unelected Margaret Thatcher 2.0 who would push the nuclear button no problem.

I'll have to go date a cute Swedish or German chick to get out of this increasingly shitty country, if 'Brexit means Brexit', I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom