• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have a decent chance. Although I don't love Farron, he's going to be popular with the electorate, wasn't tied to the coalition, voted against raising fees, and will paint Labour as far left and the Tories as far right.

The electorate don't have a clue who he is, nor do they care.

Of course, Labour will have the same problem if they get rid of Corbyn... or be utterly unelectable with him.

Meadows

Banned
The electorate don't have a clue who he is, nor do they care.

Of course, Labour will have the same problem if they get rid of Corbyn... or be utterly unelectable with him.

They only don't know him because there hasn't been an election. When the debates come around he'll grow in stature I'm sure.

If Corbyn stays as Labour leader and Davis leads us into a horrific Brexit - then the LibDems will gain a lot of ground.
Converting that vote share into seats could be really hard though.
I'm a LibDem, but I often tactically vote for Labour (largely because the labour candidate is a good person who knows the area and the libdem candidate is a non-local nobody since they have 0 chance of winning). I don't think I'd tactically vote for Corbyn.

The LibDems also need a good media strategy. Assuming that Labour go along with Brexit, the LibDems could position themselves as the 'real' opposition and get a lot of media coverage.

The main problem Farron has had is that no-one cares about the LibDems anymore, so they are just ignored by the media. No-one knows what they stand for and just remembers their past failures. They just aren't considered a realistic political force, so they have similar problems to Corbyn when trying to attract votes.

Hazzuh

One of May's nutter backbenchers wanted her to rule out staying in the single market (why?!) at PMQs but she dodged the question.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Also, gay people couldn't donate blood until just recently because of religious reasons. I'm a Unionist but absolutely ashamed by the DUP's policies and behaviour. On the day of the result, the first caller into a popular radio show here, the first caller, asked when we can get the Union Jack flag back up on Belfast city hall. Not about the economy or politics, but a fucking flag she'll only see if she ever visits that one building in Belfast. It seems like more people here are concerned with petty shit or past grievances than stuff that actually matters going forward. From experience talking with other leave voters here, it was all about taking the country back and they're now wondering why there's talk of borders between North and South because it wasn't mentioned until now. Same with farmers voting to leave, I don't think a lot of people were fully informed on what this could mean for our country specifically going into the vote. Granted the country voted to Remain, but the Leave voters I know are asking more questions than before.

Well, whatever it's done, we'll make our own way through the result I guess, but I'm still unhappy with how the major political parties here in N.Ireland conduct themselves and how Protestant/Catholics still can't get over the past and move on. I fear with talks of borders that the situation here will get worse politically and economically. But we'll see.

I was going to bring up that caller on my list and the blood donation thing too but it was quickly turning into an anti-unionist post when there are idiotic things from the nationalist side too.

The thing about the farmers voting leave surprised me. I thought the farming subsidies were one of the more widely known benefits of being in the EU.

Like I said before, the politicians over here are ridiculous. It just seems that the rest of the Uk - Scotland excluded - has come down to our level.

Meadows

Banned
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Ffastft%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2Ffooooty.png

FTSE250 has now almost completely recovered from Brexit shock. I think I was absolutely slammed for suggesting it wasn't a dead-cat bounce but there you go!

yes I know this doesn't mean we're in rainbowland, there are still massive obstacles ahead, but we aren't in apocalypse territory, so chill out!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

FTSE250 has now almost completely recovered from Brexit shock. I think I was absolutely slammed for suggesting it wasn't a dead-cat bounce but there you go!

yes I know this doesn't mean we're in rainbowland, there are still massive obstacles ahead, but we aren't in apocalypse territory, so chill out!

as i said at the time, the shakiness of the markets in the immediate time after the referendum is meaningless. we haven't left the EU yet, and we don't know what a post-EU britain will look like.

Short answer: not quite.

Long answer: this is still a massive drop once you factor in the £/$ rate. It's also benefiting from investors fleeing the even more insecure situation outside of the EU right now. Looking at the index as a whole also hides a pretty much unprecedented divergence between different industries since the vote, which reflects that a lot of this is caused more by a feeling among many investors that there simply aren't any safe havens left so they are flocking to the *safer* options, to which British companies which are not expected to be hit that hard by leaving the EU belong.

PJV3

as i said at the time, the shakiness of the markets in the immediate time after the referendum is meaningless. we haven't left the EU yet, and we don't know what a post-EU britain will look like.

Yeah, It's the same in newspaper comments, nobody even has a clue what the government position is, the only thing we know is that we are roughly 3 years away from leaving full membership.

What are the markets supposed to be giving a verdict on,

Was in Eastern Europe last week, the country is a laughing stock. At least with a Scottish accent the damage is less but the UK was being openly mocked by Slovenians & Romanians I was speaking with. There's a clown on the world stage.

Really? I speak with people that don't care about the cultural aspects of the EU and more about the economic ones and they seem to not think badly of the UK after a month of the Brexit blow. While the pound took an expected beating the markets have reacted favorably in the last few weeks, so much that the FTSE 100 has reached almost a 56 week high (I think it needs to add less than 80 points to reach that high.

For what I gather is the people that are interested more in the well being of the EU that are still "laughing" at the UK while the rest have move on and is almost BAU for them.

Really? I speak with people that don't care about the cultural aspects of the EU and more about the economic ones and they seem to not think badly of the UK after a month of the Brexit blow. While the pound took an expected beating the markets have reacted favorably in the last few weeks, so much that the FTSE 100 has reached almost a 56 week high (I think it needs to add less than 80 points to reach that high.

For what I gather is the people that are interested more in the well being of the EU that are still "laughing" at the UK while the rest have move on and is almost BAU for them.

Have a look at shares in Lloyds, RBS, Barclays, and so on... Even without factoring in the historical plunge of the £ to $ it's pretty clear what the market thinks right now about certain industries. The FTSE 100 has still not made up for that plunge either, even if it's been hit less than the FTSE 250.

Protome

They only don't know him because there hasn't been an election. When the debates come around he'll grow in stature I'm sure.
The debates are generally the major parties. I'm sure there'll be one or two big debates with more of the minor parties there like the Lib Dems, but I wouldn't bet on them getting much air time.

Have a look at shares in Lloyds, RBS, Barclays, and so on... Even without factoring in the historical plunge of the £ to $ it's pretty clear what the market thinks right now about certain industries. The FTSE 100 has still not made up for that plunge either, even if it's been hit less than the FTSE 250.

The devaluation of a currency is not entirely bad, it may hurt people or business that operate with foreign currencies or locations but at the same time it favors local businesses and industries that see their products being cheaper compared to imported goods. Currency devaluation is a usual ammunition in nations that tried to protect their industries from global markets, something that the UK never could do thanks to the EU.

I see a lot of optimism, really, among investors regarding the UK a month after the Brexit vote but then again the markets are so volatile that any news could be a hard hit for this optimism or work as a boost. I don't see the pound recovering value but I don't see that as something bad either, at least until we get a clear vision of how the UK is going to look like economically in a couple of years where even more devaluation could be beneficial.

Theonik

The devaluation of a currency is not entirely bad, it may hurt people or business that operate with foreign currencies or locations but at the same time it favors local businesses and industries that see their products being cheaper compared to imported goods. Currency devaluation is a usual ammunition in nations that tried to protect their industries from global markets, something that the UK never could do thanks to the EU.

I see a lot of optimism, really, among investors regarding the UK a month after the Brexit vote but then again the markets are so volatile that any news could be a hard hit for this optimism or work as a boost. I don't see the pound recovering value but I don't see that as something bad either, at least until we get a clear vision of how the UK is going to look like economically in a couple of years where even more devaluation could be beneficial.
The UK could always devalue its own currency. Nothing in the EU prevents it. EZ countries are a different story. Hell, it did just that last financial crisis. Devaluing one's currency is also a double-edged knife. For a nation like the UK that is a net importer, it might do more harm than good, especially when domestic industry relies on importing components. Resulting inflation is also not good for internal consumption either that hurts services quite a bit.

What I'm saying is that a devaluation of the pound makes shares on the FTSE cheaper for international investors. For pretty much all practical purposes you want to look at FTSE * £/$ and not the FTSE alone. There are also other factors like plenty of unrest in the rest of the world which has encouraged people to move money into safer investments, one of which is those British industries that are expected to be largely unaffected by leaving the EU.

The effects of devaluation are not exactly quite that simple in the modern world where pretty much all British manufacturers rely on supply chains based outside the UK.

It's funny you would say there's a lot of optimism when my banking friends are all pretty fucking pissed off about the whole thing. The sky might not have fallen down but it's still a self-inflicted wound whose severity will depend on things like whether or not the UK government budges on free movement -- in other words, who the fuck knows.

The UK could always devalue its own currency. Nothing in the EU prevents it. EZ countries are a different story. Hell, it did just that last financial crisis. Devaluing one's currency is also a double-edged knife. For a nation like the UK that is a net importer, it might do more harm than good, especially when domestic industry relies on importing components. Resulting inflation is also not good for internal consumption either that hurts services quite a bit.

I thought they could but wouldn't mostly because of the pressure from the union to maintain a certain parity to not affect the nations and trade inside the union, then again I have only being interested in the economy of the UK since Brexit because a possibility since it was a great way to make money out of the markets and fears.

What I'm saying is that a devaluation of the pound makes shares on the FTSE cheaper for international investors. For pretty much all practical purposes you want to look at FTSE * £/$ and not the FTSE alone. There are also other factors like plenty of unrest in the rest of the world which has encouraged people to move money into safer investments, one of which is those British industries that are expected to be largely unaffected by leaving the EU.

The effects of devaluation are not exactly quite that simple in the modern world where pretty much all British manufacturers rely on supply chains based outside the UK.

It's funny you would say there's a lot of optimism when my banking friends are all pretty fucking pissed off about the whole thing. The sky might not have fallen down but it's still a self-inflicted wound whose severity will depend on things like whether or not the UK government budges on free movement -- in other words, who the fuck knows.

Ohh yeah currency devaluation isn't always smooth or without collateral damage but I don't see the pound being at 1.30-1.32 u$s to be a bad thing at all, then again I am a foreign investor seeing the UK as a "cheap" alternative now. And about the optimism I guess it depends on the region and type of investors, personally I see them more worried about the state of the EU as an economic block than the UK, which to me seems reasonable rather than the "common people" wisdom than the EU is the one that is going to be alright and the UK are the ones that are going to get the worse of the deal.

I thought they could but wouldn't mostly because of the pressure from the union to maintain a certain parity to not affect the nations and trade inside the union, then again I have only being interested in the economy of the UK since Brexit because a possibility since it was a great way to make money out of the markets and fears.

Not really no. Devaluation can be a useful tool but it is British politicians themselves who have been opposed to it lately.

Ohh yeah currency devaluation isn't always smooth or without collateral damage but I don't see the pound being at 1.30-1.32 u$s to be a bad thing at all, then again I am a foreign investor seeing the UK as a "cheap" alternative now. And about the optimism I guess it depends on the region and type of investors, personally I see them more worried about the state of the EU as an economic block than the UK, which to me seems reasonable rather than the "common people" wisdom than the EU is the one that is going to be alright and the UK are the ones that are going to get the worse of the deal.
Well, if you like deals you might want to look up some bank shares -- Lloyds and RBS are down 35% compared to a month ago, similar results for many others. There's been an unprecedented divergence between different industries over the last month, some have skyrocketed since people like you saw an opportunity to make some money but many others are genuinely considered fucked.

Audioboxer

Reading this twitter account:

https://twitter.com/uniforbritain

The guy wanting to leave the EU because he's for 'open globalism, not narrow regionalism' is extremely ironic because Brexit is narrow regionalism defined.

There's a whole lot of voters who clearly did not understand what they were voting for. Still don't today.

Some genuine ignorance you can forgive, but the amount of ignorance on display around Brexit is mind blowing. Just shows you why politicians can treat members of the public like sheep. Half of them behave like them.

Theonik

There's a whole lot of voters who clearly did not understand what they were voting for. Still don't today.

Some genuine ignorance you can forgive, but the amount of ignorance on display around Brexit is mind blowing. Just shows you why politicians can treat members of the public like sheep. Half of them behave like them.
The UK has the lowest level of education on the EU in the entire EU so questions like this are even worse.

Bold One

Its what made the decision to hold a referendum on the EU so frustratingly stupid, I studied EU law in my second year at Uni and that shit was crazy confusing, your average British fish and chips silo hasn't got a clue what the difference is between the European Council and the European Parliament.

I mean the day after the vote, google search for "what is the European Union" went through the roof. That tells you all you need to know.

Jisgsaw

UKIP Councillor calls for people to start shooting Remainers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36842940

_90456923_img_2871-2.jpg

_90461877_capture.jpg

I'm kinda missing the joke he said he was making...

I see a lot of optimism, really, among investors regarding the UK a month after the Brexit vote.

I can't see how they can be either optimistic or pessimistic, as we still have no fucking idea what the UK relationship to the EU will be...
The market have kinda recovered, which is normal, as absolutely nothing has changed since the referendum, and will not change in the foreseeable future.

Looking at the FTSE indexes, the effect of brexit depends on where your business is.

Multinationals and exporters go up
Domestic services companies go down a bit
Property/Construction/Banks are fucked

Things have been a lot better than I feared, but its had a huge 'rebalancing' effect.
As with the last financial crisis, I'm worried that the public will bear the brunt of it, while the rich and large companies can re-locate their wealth/business to take advantage.

I wonder what the Autumn statement will say. I am still very worried that we will have the worst of both worlds, with large increases to the budget deficit and more 'austerity'.

While writing this, I just recieved the linkedin job vacancies email. Top of the list is "Psychic Reader (Global)".
I think whoever is in charge of Linkedin's algorithm is just trolling me. I used to get mostly relevant jobs, or at least logical ones (jobs in fields that sound similar to mine but are actually quite different). Last week I got a list of jobs for including shelf stacking at ASDA and driver's mate for some delivery firm. Despite Brexit, the jobs market for professionals* can't have changed that much can it!

*Well, maybe I'm more of a C1 with delusions of grandeur

Audioboxer

Its what made the decision to hold a referendum on the EU so frustratingly stupid, I studied EU law in my second year at Uni and that shit was crazy confusing, your average British fish and chips silo hasn't got a clue what the difference is between the European Council and the European Parliament.

I mean the day after the vote, google search for "what is the European Union" went through the roof. That tells you all you need to know.

Yup

We had a few kippers back in the day.

I kind of miss them. They would provide the most amusing excuses for the vilest fuckery.

On GAF? Dark times.

gerg

The anecdote about the rise in Google searches really is a misunderstanding of statistics, and highlights how Google analytics all too often make for flashy click bait articles.

Scroll down this article to see how relatively small that supposedly massive spike in searches was. The daily searches for Game of Thrones dwarfed it!

SKINNER!

Banned
BBC said:
The boss of Easyjet says the airline has seen its costs increase by £40m ($53m; €48m) in just four weeks, as a result of the pound's drop in the wake of Britain's vote to leave the EU.

Carolyn McCall told the BBC the drop had made fuel - which the firm pays for in US dollars - more expensive.

She added that the increased cost of travelling abroad is deterring some British holidaymakers.

[...]

Ms McCall also confirmed that the airline would not be following rivals such as Wizz Air in scaling back from the UK market as a result of Brexit.

"We see opportunity," she said.

"We will continue to grow in the UK."

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36853577

Baki

I'm not sure that makes sense. So May is giving Boris some kind of cosmic karma or sticking it to the Leavers by intentionally ruining the UK's image abroad even more and potentially harming actual international diplomacy/foreign policy?

She's destroying her potential future opponents.

She's a self serving *****.

accel

OT: Things have been slowing down lately and so as part of winding down from the latest political craze there was some time to explore what's going on in other countries. With all the mess of Brexit, the US elections look like an absolute disaster (mostly Trump, but also Hillary).

hodgy100

no kidding, i was planning an impomptu long weekend holiday with work mates that would have been the first time i've been abroad since 2004. and now its looking like its going to cost more than its worth :/

OT: Things have been slowing down lately and so as part of winding down from the latest political craze there was some time to explore what's going on in other countries. With all the mess of Brexit, the US elections look like an absolute disaster (mostly Trump, but also Hillary).

I genuinely don't see what's so bad about hilary. She is the clear choice, no ifs no buts.

I'm not sure that makes sense. So May is giving Boris some kind of cosmic karma or sticking it to the Leavers by intentionally ruining the UK's image abroad even more and potentially harming actual international diplomacy/foreign policy?

THe brexit vote result has already made us a joke.

She's destroying her potential future opponents.

She's a self serving *****.

Yeah but if it keeps BoJo away from morep owerful positions I'll let it pass imo.

SKINNER!

Banned
no kidding, i was planning an impomptu long weekend holiday with work mates that would have been the first time i've been abroad since 2004. and now its looking like its going to cost more than its worth :/

It's alright mate. There's always Brighton, Blackpool and Weymouth. Let's have our holidays British!

....where's that sick bucket?

hodgy100

It's alright mate. There's always Brighton, Blackpool and Weymouth. Let's have our holidays British!

....where's that sick bucket?

I grew up camping / caravanning around the UK D: I finally get the capital to enable me to go abroad and this happens making it all more expensive! I want to go explore the world :(

SKINNER!

Banned
I grew up camping / caravanning around the UK D: I finally get the capital to enable me to go abroad and this happens making it all more expensive! I want to go explore the world :(

Just bad timing bud :) Put the money aside and wait it out. You'll be able to save more and get a better holiday with your friends. Always be positive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom