• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
What it actually means is "If I don't, the UKIP MP for my region will get my seat". Replace ukip as appropriate, I suppose.

Haha, he is a London MP, nobody votes UKIP there anyway and his seat is very, very safe. And it is a staunchly Remain city so if anything his vote share would increase. I might sound like a hypocrite because I previously asked him to reject airgun licensing because opinion in consultations was overwhelmingly against that idea, and I now am asking him if he would reject the referendum even though a very small majority of voters accepted leaving the EU, come to think of it.

As someone already said, "you can't make this shit up..."
GTrgX5J.jpg

https://twitter.com/HeatherWheeler/status/767756321219379201

Why do all the lunatic fringe right wingers have to be Brexiters and pro-Empire? I'm imagining a right wing Jeremy Corbyn like figure right now who allows the fringe members to take over a more centrist party and how much of a nightmare that would be.

Theonik

Why do all the lunatic fringe right wingers have to be Brexiters and pro-Empire? I'm imagining a right wing Jeremy Corbyn like figure right now who allows the fringe members to take over a more centrist party and how much of a nightmare that would be.
Surprisingly people who think Britain still has an empire are more likely to believe they can rule the waves once more if only those stinky French and Germans would let them?

tomtom94

Nearly happened with IDS. You could argue that UKIP were centrist at one point, too.

EDIT: Hilarious fun fact I just discovered, Heather Wheeler was one of Cameron's A-list, the list of potential candidates they drew up after Cameron's election to broaden the Conservative party and make it less "reactionary".

Audioboxer

Leaving the European Union is projected to cost the Scottish economy up to £11.2 billion per year and Scottish public finances up to £3.7 billion per year.

Analysis published by the Scottish Government today, drawing on research by a range of external organisations, suggests that by 2030, Scottish GDP is projected to be between £1.7 billion and £11.2 billion per year lower than it would have been if Brexit does not occur. Tax revenue is projected to be between £1.7 billion and £3.7 billion lower.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said that the analysis was further evidence of the need to protect Scotland’s relationship with the EU.

More @ http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Br...&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn&utm_source=Twitter

*Splinter

That's just one side of the story though right? Looks like independence would be a economic risk to Scotland as well.
Yes, I think it would be even worse economically. This is just demonstrating how much Scotland is losing for a decision that it voted overwhelmingly against.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
America is lucky they got Trump and not Farage. Trump is too stupid to win. Farage has a low animal cunning and a fair dash of charisma, the last trait you want in such an odious figure.

Mr. Sam

I just wonder how people would have reacted to Farage sharing a stage with Trump pre-referendum. Maybe I'm giving Kippers too much credit. Scratch that, I definitely am.

He's not a politician anymore

If that helps...!

Well he is - but he's retiring from being a politician soon.

At least that's what I remember reading?!?

But no - he shouldn't have gone. But was probably paid to by the Trump campaign

He's not a politician anymore

If that helps...!

Well he is - but he's retiring from being a politician soon.

At least that's what I remember reading?!?

But no - he shouldn't have gone. But was probably paid to by the Trump campaign

An MEP is definitely a politician, and he's still one of those according to his wiki page.

Lol I just looked at that page, and it says that for Chairman of Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy he was both preceded by "himself" and succeeded by "himself". Wut?

Persimmon has bounced back within 8 weeks

xQYb.jpg

When the markets bounced back, finger pointers then used the, but but FTSE 250, then when that recovered it was "but but divergence" and used Persimmon to point the finger.

Before you scramble to Taylor Wimpey I'll save you the trouble, it's back to normal as well. Hell of a dead cat bounce folks.

Just to note I'm pro staying in the EU and as always not a thing has happened yet, just a shockwave and some weak hands. No shit has hit the fan yet despite the claims of the remainers and this isn't everything is fine despite the claims.

Bleepey

xQYb.jpg

When the markets bounced back, finger pointers then used the, but but FTSE 250, then when that recovered it was "but but divergence" and used Persimmon to point the finger.

Before you scramble to Taylor Wimpey I'll save you the trouble, it's back to normal as well. Hell of a dead cat bounce folks.

Just to note I'm pro staying in the EU and as always not a thing has happened yet, just a shockwave and some weak hands. No shit has hit the fan yet despite the claims of the remainers and this isn't everything is fine despite the claims.

I am no economist but I always saw the leave vote as dousing a house in petrol, there was an initial fainting because what idiots douses their home in petrol? However, The House hasn't burnt down yet, but that's not surprising when you haven't lit the match yet. The thing is whilst you are acclimatising to your house smelling of petrol, do you really wanna light the match?

*Splinter

xQYb.jpg

I'm so confused about what you're trying to tell me in this post. The 2 bolded statements especially seem to be "this is fine" and "this is not fine".

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I am no economist but I always saw the leave vote as dousing a house in petrol, there was an initial fainting because what idiots douses their home in petrol? However, The House hasn't burnt down yet, but that's not surprising when you haven't lit the match yet. The thing is whilst you are acclimatising to your house smelling of petrol, do you really wanna light the match?
"I like the Smell of Petrol in The Morning"

Question. Will May push through Article 50 or reject it? I've been in discussion with friends of mine and we all agree either way it's political suicide. However there might be a third option.

Sticking Boris, a Brexiter essentially in charge of the of the negotiations. Get him to come back with the options. Go public. Nothing hidden and make point all the blame on the leaders of the Brexit for the crappy deals we are going to get.

Its like a daily occurrence these days to hear people complaining about the brexit. "We voted out! We didn't realise that the EU subsidies would go with the EU!"

Honestly if people voted today I think the UK would be firmly in. Plus combine that the leaders of the Brexit are still under investigation for Election Fraud! That might be the scape goat the world needs.

Jezbollah

Question. Will May push through Article 50 or reject it? I've been in discussion with friends of mine and we all agree either way it's political suicide. However there might be a third option.

Sticking Boris, a Brexiter essentially in charge of the of the negotiations. Get him to come back with the options. Go public. Nothing hidden and make point all the blame on the leaders of the Brexit for the crappy deals we are going to get.

Its like a daily occurrence these days to hear people complaining about the brexit. "We voted out! We didn't realise that the EU subsidies would go with the EU!"

Honestly if people voted today I think the UK would be firmly in. Plus combine that the leaders of the Brexit are still under investigation for Election Fraud! That might be the scape goat the world needs.

It's going to happen. I'd say NOT invoking Article 50 would be a far bigger act of political suicide. As much as it will hurt the 48% (and I am one of them), Brexit has to happen.

Boris is not in charge of the Brexit negotiations - that position is with David Davis, appointed Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

I still believe the referendum should be ignored. If I was in government I would ignore it, likely by finding some roundabout means to reverse the (non binding) result. This isn't mob rule, why should we be held hostage by them? Can you withdraw from leaving even if Art.50 is invoked? I would send Boris to get some shitty deal and tell the people 'think again' as a means for avoiding Brexit. You can say 'hey, we tried to do what you wanted, it's just not realistic'. Like it or not Leavers, 48% of us want things to stay the same. I want to still be a European citizen. You can't push through everything you want and expect us to accept it!

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I still believe the referendum should be ignored. If I was in government I would ignore it. This isn't mob rule, why should we be held hostage by them?

While the tangible benefits of staying in the EU are obvious to some, you can't simply ignore the result. Look at it from the other side:

"I still believe the referendum should be honoured. If I was in government I would honour it. This isn't elitist rule, why should we be held hostage by them?"

Putting comprehension of the political issue aside, wouldn't you be utterly pissed off if you voted for something and the government chose to just ignore the majority?

Now I'm not saying we should leave - far from it. But for the good of the nation the manner in which we do so should be treated with nuance, not simply forgotten about.

I was on the leaver side (note - I actually couldn't vote for "reasons" - so don't blame me for any of this!

But now I'm just fed up of the whole charade and would rather we remain. It's doing my head in. (Even though our business is loving the drop in £ value)

kmag

While the tangible benefits of staying in the EU are obvious to some, you can't simply ignore the result. Look at it from the other side:

"I still believe the referendum should be honoured. If I was in government I would honour it. This isn't elitist rule, why should we be held hostage by them?"

Putting comprehension of the political issue aside, wouldn't you be utterly pissed off if you voted for something and the government chose to just ignore the majority?

Now I'm not saying we should leave - far from it. But for the good of the nation the manner in which we do so should be treated with nuance, not simply forgotten about.

Our entire 'democracy' is built around ignoring the wishes of the majority. It's why we end up with Governments in almost total control with around 36% of the vote.

JP_

Banned
Are there cliff notes for the past month and a half or so? I've been out of the loop since around the time Theresa May stepped up.

Our entire 'democracy' is built around ignoring the wishes of the majority. It's why we end up with Governments in almost total control with around 36% of the vote.

If we always did what the 'majority' wanted we would have reintroduced the death penalty. Polls have shown a slim majority in favour of it. Part of democracy is also the balancing of minority interests with that of the majority. Important constitutional issues like this should be left for people who are far more qualified to decide, not for Joe down the pub.

*Splinter

That sounds like something we should want to change rather than an excuse to make things worse.

(Although I too hope this result is somehow overturned)

ss1

Neo Member
Brexit is going to happen. What’s up for debate is the terms of leaving and what the political, economical, and sociological consequences will be after leaving.

My hunch is that May is aware of the consequences of hard Brexit and damage it will do the Union and the economy (banks vs. people = bankers always win) and we will have a reasonable settlement that will cost the UK but will not significantly hurt it.

I was briefly thinking about voting Leave until I realized that the EU is probably much more benign an influence than the UK parliament. The UK Parliament and Government has constantly reduced the freedoms of the citizen. Not to mention the economy, and the perks of EU citizenship.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If we always did what the 'majority' wanted we would have reintroduced the death penalty. Polls have shown a slim majority in favour of it. Part of democracy is also the balancing of minority interests with that of the majority. Important constitutional issues like this should be left for people who are far more qualified to decide, not for Joe down the pub.

I'm not saying we need to just accept the vote. The simple fact is that there are very few people qualified to make the decision in the best interest of our country, and frankly we shouldn't have been given that option. But we're in this situation now, and we need to find the best way out of it.

If staying in the EU is truly the best thing country, then the government should do what they can to keep us in. But just throwing the opinion of all those who voted to leave out the window, whatever you might think of it, is fucking lunacy. Nor can you just let it linger for years, because the economy needs decisiveness.

Either by a second vote (not a simple do-over, something different - perhaps a vote based on conditions of leaving), the voting in of a parliament whose policy is of remain, or something else. The majority of voters need to believe that their vote mattered and their lives will be better, even if the end result isn't exactly what they ticked in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom