• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jisgsaw

So if these manufacturing jobs go, how many are likely to be replaced by other companies? Who do we have left making vehicles in the UK on any large scale? Jaguar Land Rover (owned by the Indians), Mini (Germany), and Triumph (make most of their stuff in Thailand now anyway)? Anyone else?

That's a lot of potentially ended careers

Don't quote me on that, but considering they still have a development center in the UK (worked with them once), I'd guess Bentley also still has a factory over there? Or they share a factory with VW.
(Maybe you don't consider it large scale though)

Armaros

I like the Japanese approach to Brexit, up front and business like. The government and supporters of Brexit shouldn't be allowed to pretend they aren't aware of what is at risk.

It's the best way to avoid any further nationalistic nonsense if things go badly.

The probable reason why Japan is being upfront is that UK convinced them to open shop there to get market access. And now the only reason why Japan even bothered is being threatened because of Brexit.

BKK

So if these manufacturing jobs go, how many are likely to be replaced by other companies? Who do we have left making vehicles in the UK on any large scale? Jaguar Land Rover (owned by the Indians), Mini (Germany), and Triumph (make most of their stuff in Thailand now anyway)? Anyone else?

That's a lot of potentially ended careers

I don't think that there's an immediate issue, weak pound makes UK manufacturing more competive. It could be more of an issue in the long term (especially if GBP gets stronger).

oti

Banned
I like the Japanese approach to Brexit, up front and business like. The government and supporters of Brexit shouldn't be allowed to pretend they aren't aware of what is at risk.

It's the best way to avoid any further nationalistic nonsense if things go badly.

In a diplomatic sense this is a slap to the face in the middle of a busy crossroad. It's savage.

BKK

These people directly voted for their own economic suicide.

People often talk about the lower-class voting against their own interests by electing Tories, but this is a more direct form of suicide than that.

The worst thing about the referendum was people making ridiculous forecasts about the economy. This post probably falls into that category.

PJV3

The probable reason why Japan is being upfront is that UK convinced them to open shop there to get market access. And now the only reason why Japan even bothered is being threatened because of Brexit.

Oh yeah I understand that, I just like that approach anyway. I'm hopeful we will get something similar from our European friends when negotiations start.

There are people who say they don't care and anything is worth the control, it's best if it is clear what that means before we go.

Dougald

I don't think that there's an immediate issue, weak pound makes UK manufacturing more competive. It could be more of an issue in the long term (especially if GBP gets stronger).

Definitely not, but new investment would probably go elsewhere no? I would expect to see foreign companies gradually refocus to their existing EU plants. Remaining British owned manufacturers (so... Triumph, Ariel, Morgan?) might see some benefit that's for sure. Luxury, handmade British made vehicles will probably always have an allure overseas...

I don't really subscribe to the emotional 'fuck em, they voted for it' (though it is cathartic). At the end of the day mass unemployment is going to hurt our society as a whole, put a strain on social services, etc.

BKK

Definitely not, but new investment would probably go elsewhere no? I would expect to see foreign companies gradually refocus to their existing EU plants. Remaining British owned manufacturers (so... Triumph, Ariel, Morgan?) might see some benefit that's for sure. Luxury, handmade British made vehicles will probably always have an allure overseas...

I don't really subscribe to the emotional 'fuck em, they voted for it' (though it is cathartic). At the end of the day mass unemployment is going to hurt our society as a whole, put a strain on social services, etc.

Possibly, but this is the whole point of having a floating currency (I think that even most remainers are glad that we're not in the Euro). I really think that EU tariffs are overplayed. Of course, it's an issue, but if GBP stays at this rate then it completely negates those tariffs, and manufacturers will see the benefit of staying in the UK. Ironically, a strong pound could see them leave. But yeah, the markets will work that out eventually.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The worst thing about the referendum was people making ridiculous forecasts about the economy. This post probably falls into that category.

No.

I never said the economy would be ruined. It is economic suicide for the people involved in the manufacturing industry, because there are a very small amount of similar jobs and basically every major manufacturer has said they will leave. The industry will be dead in the UK and so will the rest of the supply chain.

You'd really have to present a very convincing argument to say otherwise, given that major companies have explicitly stated that they will leave if the UK leaves.

Brexit means Brexit:

lsbafUp.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...xit-pledges-on-immigration-and-nhs?CMP=twt_gu

Jisgsaw

Possibly, but this is the whole point of having a floating currency (I think that even most remainers are glad that we're not in the Euro). I really think that EU tariffs are overplayed. Of course, it's an issue, but if GBP stays at this rate then it completely negates those tariffs, and manufacturers will see the benefit of staying in the UK. Ironically, a strong pound could see them leave. But yeah, the markets will work that out eventually.

Uhm, you also have the huge problem of the supply chain, even disregarding the tarrifs.
Having some part produced in the EU, having to be shipped outside the EU (the UK), put together, and then re-exported in the EU could be quite complex (or more frankly, a major pain in the ass most manufacturer will want to avoid)

And yet manufacturing is booming thanks to the weak pound.

Yes, because the UK still is in the EU, and you have no tarrifs, customs, country of origin problems and so on...

BKK

No.

I never said the economy would be ruined. It is economic suicide for the people involved in the manufacturing industry, because there are a very small amount of similar jobs and basically every major manufacturer has said they will leave. The industry will be dead in the UK and so will the rest of the supply chain.

You'd really have to present a very convincing argument to say otherwise, given that major companies have explicitly stated that they will leave if the UK leaves.

And yet manufacturing is booming thanks to the weak pound. Of course, that won't last forever (unless you believe the lunatics), but GBP isn't recovering to $1.45+ for the forseeable future. GBP is massively undervalued based on fundamentals, it's just trading so weak on sentiment.At least in the short term UK is a massive investment opportunity.

Biggzy

Uhm, you also have the huge problem of the supply chain, even disregarding the tarrifs.
Having some part produced in the EU, having to be shipped outside the EU (the UK), put together, and then re-exported in the EU could be quite complex (or more frankly, a major pain in the ass most manufacturer will want to avoid)

This is why it is hard to see much of a future for the UK car industry if the UK loses access to the single market; it would just be too much hassle for manufactures getting around the supply chain issue alone.

BKK

Yes, it's a big issue, but most of that will still be eaten up by x-rate maneuveres (at least in the short term). If you can't compete with that then you're going out of business.

Jisgsaw

Yes, it's a big issue, but most of that will still be eaten up by x-rate maneuveres (at least in the short term). If you can't compete with that then you're going out of business.

But it simply isn't economical to put or upgrade your plant in a country whith such disadvantages when you have loads of other countries willing to cut you a deal to produce in their country, that avoid all this hassle (and therefor costs) by being in the EU.

Yes, the effect won't be direct, as the current plant and investments will be monetized to death, but you won't see any plant upgrade nor new plants if the UK looses access to the single market. Which means in 8 years tops, car manufacturing would be pretty much dead.

BKK

But it simply isn't economical to put or upgrade your plant in a country whith such disadvantages when you have loads of other countries willing to cut you a deal to produce in their country, that avoid all this hassle (and therefor costs) by being in the EU.

Yes, the effect won't be direct, as the current plant and investments will be monetized to death, but you won't see any plant upgrade nor new plants if the UK looses access to the single market. Which means in 8 years tops, car manufacturing would be pretty much dead.

Oh, I totally agree, but it will still depend on x-rate for each company.

The upshot of this Brexit business is that all the businesses and jobs moving moving out of the UK to other EU countries may be what finally gets countries like Italy and Spain on their feet again

BKK

Everyone knew what £350m meant, remainers couldn't stop mentioning it, and BBC loved to show how the leave campaign was misleading. Of course, that's what leave wanted, to the average man in the street £350m or £35m is the same they're huge amounts. Ridiculous own goal for remain to focus on that.

jorma

is now taking requests
There is a difference between doing it properly for the right reasons in the right way, to doing it as a political stunt.

Which it was.

Who gives a shit what Cameron wanted? Somebody is telling you how a nation successfully uses direct representation in a sensible manner, and your answer is who cares what matters is the stunt not the nation.

There shouldn't have been a referendum at all, but simple majority was the only thing that made sense once they decided to have one. I mean "sure we can have a referendum, but we are going to stack it so that one side can't ever win" is a worse slap in the face than just saying "no referendum". There was no way any of the leavers would accept that, especially seeing how the voters who voted remain doesn't accept the result even today.

tuxfool

Banned
There shouldn't have been a referendum at all, but simple majority was the only thing that made sense once they decided to have one. I mean "sure we can have a referendum, but we are going to stack it so that one side can't ever win" is a worse slap in the face than just saying "no referendum". There was no way any of the leavers would accept that, especially seeing how the voters who voted remain doesn't accept the result even today.

Every nation that has provisions for votes on such significant changes all use those rules. This should be not different.

jorma

is now taking requests
Every nation that has provisions for votes on such significant changes all use those rules. This should be not different.

I don't think a single referendum held on joining the EU has required a super majority. Can't think of one at least. Would be a much smaller union then, and Sweden wouldn't be members :-/

Joni

I don't think a single referendum held on joining the EU has required a super majority. Can't think of one at least. Would be a much smaller union then, and Sweden wouldn't be members :-/

It has not required one, but the Union wasn't exactly an unpopular decision in many of the countries that did hold a referendum. If you required 60% for either side to win, the following countries would still have joined:

Ireland – 83.1% in favour (10 May 1972)
Denmark – 63.3% in favour (2 October 1972)
Austria – 66.6% in favour (12 June 1994)
Slovenia – 89.6% in favour (23 March 2003)
Hungary – 83.7% in favour (12 April 2003)
Lithuania – 89.9% in favour (10–11 May 2003)
Slovakia – 92.5% in favour, turnout 52.1% (16–17 May 2003)
Poland – 77.5% in favour (7–8 June 2003)
Czech Republic – 77.3% in favour (13–14 June 2003)
Estonia – 66.8% in favour, turnout 64.1% (14 September 2003)
Latvia – 67.0% in favour (20 September 2003)
Croatia – 66.27% in favour (22 January 2012)

The Scandanivian countries were just more tricky.

Finland – 56.9% in favour (16 October 1994)
Sweden – 52.8% in favour (13 November 1994)
Norway – 52.2% against (28 November 1994)
Malta – 53.6% in favour (8 March 2003)

The original Brexit referendum in 1975 had a 2/3 majority even.

Zaph

[BBC] Immigration: Points-based system not 'silver bullet' - May
Theresa May has cast doubt on the feasibility of a points-based system for controlling immigration into the UK, one of the key promises of Leave campaigners during the EU referendum.

Speaking in China, the PM acknowledged people had voted for more control on the numbers of people moving to the UK.

But she questioned whether a points system, backed by Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson among others, would work.

She suggested it was not a "silver bullet" for addressing public concerns.

Another Leave campaign 'suggestion' put out to pasture.

Who would have thought the immigration system for a small, borderline banana republic isn't really ideal for a much larger, more global, service-based economy. Sorry guys, we can't be more like our racist cousins in the middle of nowhere.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Who would have thought the immigration system for a small, borderline banana republic isn't really ideal for a much larger, more global, service-based economy. Sorry guys, we can't be more like our racist cousins in the middle of nowhere.

Still holding out for a we leave only in name but remain with the same freedom of movement and market access pay a tariff for the privilege no funding back. but because of this austerity and NHS cuts etc .
Oh and we are able to govern by our "own" laws

Either that way or
UK turns into a representation of the England football team. keeps going on about the glory days fails to escape from that and won't progress, arrogant in some respects to.

"If you materially change the operating environment, then our companies that you attracted through that environment might relocate their operations."

How rude!

Chinner

Banned
How fast can we boycott Sony and Nintendo? We need Sinclair to release a new Spectrum console as soon as possible, so we can play play British games on British consoles.

Polari

*sigh*

Is this the same small, borderline banana republic with a GDP per capita more than a third greater than Britain's?

Thought the arrogance and condescension from the Remainers was mostly directed at the British working class - didn't realise it had extended to insulting whole continents.

A points-based system is one of a range of policy options to consider.

Acorn

Wonder how long it will be before all those people who voted on the basis of anti-immigration start to realise they got duped.
Never. I'd bet my house and every penny I've ever earned or will ever earn on never.

It'd be odds on at the bookies too.

Zaph

*sigh*

Is this the same small, borderline banana republic with a GDP per capita more than a third greater than Britain's?

Thought the arrogance and condescension from the Remainers was mostly directed at the British working class - didn't realise it had extended to insulting whole continents.

A points-based system is one of a range of policy options to consider.

Oh come on, don't take it so personally. Australia is small, about a third of the UK's population, and yes, while the GDP per capita is ahead of the UK, it's heavily driven by the exportation of resources, hence the borderline banana republic comment. My point was we could not be more different in terms of needs.

And besides, we're in no position to be judging others right now, I was more poking fun at the idolisation of Australia among a lot of Leave supporters - both in awful policies and treatment of refugees.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think eastern Europe is a destination more favourable to car manufacturers. Somewhat ironic really.

Poland is set to take much of the UK's car industry. My girlfriend works at a major manufacturer with operations in Spain and upper management is already doing some very preliminary work about what needs to be done in order to compete with Poland when the company decides to move those products away from the UK.

I'll eat my shoes if General Motors remains in Ellesmere Port (another Brexit stronghold) for a new product cycle. Those folks are so done.

Tuffty

It's ok though guys, I read an opinion piece a week ago which said that Brexit was the right decision and that Britain will thrive because the Olympic team did so well.

Though he didn't seem to realise that those athletes were trained by other people in the EU or moved out of UK to train elsewhere thanks to the freedom of movement.

Poland is set to take much of the UK's car industry. My girlfriend works at a major manufacturer with operations in Spain and upper management is already doing some very preliminary work about what needs to be done in order to compete with Poland when the company decides to move those products away from the UK.

I'll eat my shoes if General Motors remains in Ellesmere Port (another Brexit stronghold) for a new product cycle. Those folks are so done.
I'm not sure a vote to remain would have changed this.

It's ok though guys, I read an opinion piece a week ago which said that Brexit was the right decision and that Britain will thrive because the Olympic team did so well.

Though he didn't seem to realise that those athletes were trained by other people in the EU or moved out of UK to train elsewhere thanks to the freedom of movement.

Every bloody metric the Leavers use is derived from a Britain in the EU - negative, AND positive.

'We are one of the biggest economies!'
'Wait, I thought the EU had us over a barrel, stifling our growth??'
'It's not about economics!!'

BKK

Going long on GBP ahead of data releases is like shooting fish in a barrel at the moment :p

Services PMI: 52.9 Vs 47.4 previously and 48.3 forecast.

Edit: strongest gain on record

Tak3n

Banned
look at that % of young people 'thinking' of leaving! of course talk is cheap and it wont be anywhere near 43%

A poll for BBC Radio 5 live, conducted by the polling firm ComRes, suggests 62% of the 1,032 British adults canvassed say they are positive about Britain's future post-Brexit.
On the other hand, 26% of those spoken to have considered leaving the UK and moving elsewhere - including 43% of 18-34 year olds.

BKK

look at that % of young people 'thinking' of leaving! of course talk is cheap and it wont be anywhere near 43%

Is that much different than normal though? At that age I left the UK, and met lots of others my age who had done the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom