• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You call that a trade deal?

This (*snickt*) is a trade deal.

I dislike the hypodermic model of media consumption for many reasons, but sometimes you just gotta look at things and think 'fuck me, that's it'.

Wow, really?

Even just a small amount of geography knowledge should make people wonder how feasible seriously relying on trade with Australia is. The whole "other side of the planet" thing is a big barrier.

Presuming it is a fair poll, it just cements (again) my thoughts that most of the people polled on the subject have no understanding of what they're actually being asked.

Worth noting that a person could put as many "highest priority" countries as they want. That doesn't mean Australia is the highest priority. And it's also fairly obvious to me that trade deals are intended to increase the amount of trade you do with a country, so that value currently being low isn't inherently a problem.

That said, the geographical realities of Australia and the UK's positions does mean it's dumb as shit to make it a priority for anything other than immigration (we do, after all, need our bar staff).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Any list that is not EU, US, China, Switzerland in that order for the top 4 is wrong. Maybe there's an argument for Canada at number 5.

Maybe.

Worth noting that a person could put as many "highest priority" countries as they want. That doesn't mean Australia is the highest priority. And it's also fairly obvious to me that trade deals are intended to increase the amount of trade you do with a country, so that value currently being low isn't inherently a problem.

That said, the geographical realities of Australia and the UK's positions does mean it's dumb as shit to make it a priority for anything other than immigration (we do, after all, need our bar staff).

*Splinter

That only makes it worse doesn't it? They could list as many as they like, yet almost 80% think (or pretend to think) that the EU isn't worth mentioning.

Edit: even the Remain voters result isn't great at nearly 40%

Joni

@YouGov 47% of Leave voters think a trade deal with Australia is the highest priority - just 23% EU
By3ys1J.jpg

Let's hope Corbyn actually pays attention.

frontieruk

Well that's the grey vote right there, Australia and New Zealand were my pensioner aged mother's suggestion to replace lost trade with Europe as apparently the price of butter went up when we entered the EU... She's still bitter about that and still happy she's helped fuck this country up for her children and their children and probably their children.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Meh. This is a trend the industry has been following for years - farming out R&D to Eastern Europe and Asian countries with cheap labour, like Vietnam. Nothing to do with Brexit.

This is not true.

R&D in the automotive industry (particularly design and engineering) has always been concentrated in France, the UK and Germany, with very little relocation. Production is a whole different thing. R&D teams elsewhere are usually very small and focused (ie: Volvo had its design and engineering HQ in Sweden, but it still outsourced some small work to an office located in Barcelona).

Edit:

Car firms are searching for senior product and component designers, procurement officers, software developers and back-office roles in human resources, finance and help-desk positions.
Moving back-office work, finance and help-desk towards Eastern Europe is just part of the current trend. Design, software (specially if we are talking about the finer stuff) and procurement, however, is something rather unusual.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I get the sense that size on a map is a significant factor in people overvaluing trade relations with Australia and Canada.

The biggest factor is "Commonwealth". My mum's Brexiteering friends seem to think we can somehow replace the EU with the Commonwealth and everything will be fine because "they are ruled by our Queen" and therefore we can dictate the terms of trade and effectively help ourselves to their resources.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
This is not true.

R&D in the automotive industry (particularly design and engineering) has always been concentrated around France, the UK and Germany, with very little relocation. Production is a whole different thing.

I've worked in automotive R&D for years. It has.

UK R&D is trending towards being "managed" in the UK (i.e. fuck ups corrected) but the bulk of the design, test, CAD-jockey work has shifted to cheap labour countries. It makes sense - UK contractor rates are some of the highest globally. You'd be surprised how much of that work "British" OEMs like Aston Martin farm out to India.

Tier 1 supplier R&D, more than OEM R&D, are moving Eastwards to Romania etc.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've worked in automotive R&D for years. It has.

UK R&D is trending towards being "managed" in the UK (i.e. fuck ups corrected) but the bulk of the design, test, CAD-jockey work has shifted to cheap labour countries. It makes sense - UK contractor rates are some of the highest globally.

Tier 1 supplier R&D, more than OEM R&D, are moving Eastwards to Romania etc.

Maybe for suppliers and integration work, but I don't think that Ford was farming out their own work to Eastern Europe, specially when it comes to design. Either case, Brexit is only going to accelerate it at a moment when the UK desperatedly needs its manufacturing industry.

Fake edit: I have a meeting this Friday with somebody rather high up in the FCA hierarchy and my girlfriend is at Rüsselsheim (where everybody considers Ellesmere Port dead and buried) right now doing some grunt level engineering stuff in preparation for the next product cycle. I may prod them for fun.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I get the sense that size on a map is a significant factor in people overvaluing trade relations with Australia and Canada.

Still two of the world's largest economies:

Canada is #10

I don't think it's that much of an overvaluation, Canada and Australia punch above their population economically. Granted, while, Australia and Canada are #1 and #2 on this list is an overvaluation as you said, they're guaranteed to be happy to hammer out a trade deal with the UK. Should be far easier than say, China. So it's not egregious and I don't think country size has anything to do with it.

The biggest factor is "Commonwealth". My mum's Brexiteering friends seem to think we can somehow replace the EU with the Commonwealth and everything will be fine because "they are ruled by our Queen" and therefore we can dictate the terms of trade and effectively help ourselves to their resources.

Don't want to be an equal partner within a group of countries like the EU! Want to be the boss of a group of countries instead!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm quite surprised that a party who frequently argues against commonly held scientific facts has an MP who says that.

I'm just astonished that anyone thinks this is the sort of thing you have to know or look up rather than, say deduce from ordinary common knowledge.

If it were the sun's gravity that did the tides, high tides would be at the same time every day, and they aren't. Q.E.D.

Fucking fuck hole, I'm going to Vegas in a month and a half. I mean, obviously I'll win thousands at the Craps table, but I'll also eat thousands of dollars worth of Chilis and I want a decent exchange rate!

kmag

Fucking fuck hole, I'm going to Vegas in a month and a half. I mean, obviously I'll win thousands at the Craps table, but I'll also eat thousands of dollars worth of Chilis and I want a decent exchange rate!

You might get 'lucky' it's going to bounce around within the 1.28 to 1.33 mark (depending on the news that week)for the next while but the general direction over the next year or so will be down unless there's an unexpected rate rise.

I believe the 1 year consensus is still around the $1.22-$1.25. The US will probably have a interest rate rise following the Presidential election.

You might get 'lucky' it's going to bounce around within the 1.28 to 1.33 mark (depending on the news that week)for the next while but the general direction over the next year or so will be down unless there's an unexpected rate rise.

Hey, if Trump wins maybe the $ will tank, it sends the EU back into recession and the £ inherits the mantle of world currency thanks to our canny decision to trade exclusively with Australia. It goes back up to $4 to the £.

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
every morning I wake up then I check this thread with the thought in my mind "what fresh hell are we entering today"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Still two of the world's largest economies:

Canada is #10

I don't think it's that much of an overvaluation, Canada and Australia punch above their population economically. Granted, while, Australia and Canada are #1 and #2 on this list is an overvaluation as you said, they're guaranteed to be happy to hammer out a trade deal with the UK. Should be far easier than say, China. So it's not egregious and I don't think country size has anything to do with it.

I mean, someone did the courtesy of literally providing the table that shows how overvalued they are. Australia is 1.4% of exports and 0.5% of imports. Canada is 1.4% and 1.7%. That makes both of them less valuable than e.g. Ireland. Or the Netherlands. Or Belgium. In fact, both of them put together are less valuable than Belgium. Canada being the 10th largest economy in the world is fine and all, but it's an ocean away from us. Trade is bound by geography, and voting Brexit is just pretending we're in the mid-Pacific halfway between Australia and America. We're not. We're a European nation.

And the EU? It's about 33 times more important than Australia. You could have the deal with the EU take 33 times as long as one with Australia and it is still the better option. Doesn't matter how keen or quick Australia is.

I mean, someone did the courtesy of literally providing the table that shows how overvalued they are. Australia is 1.4% of exports and 0.5% of imports. Canada is 1.4% and 1.7%. That makes both of them less valuable than e.g. Ireland. Or the Netherlands. Or Belgium. In fact, both of them put together are less valuable than Belgium. Canada being the 10th largest economy in the world is fine and all, but it's an ocean away from us. Trade is bound by geography, and voting Brexit is just pretending we're in the mid-Pacific halfway between Australia and America. We're not. We're a European nation.

And the EU? It's about 33 times more important than Australia. You could have the deal with the EU take 33 times as long as one with Australia and it is still the better option. Doesn't matter how keen or quick Australia is.

Exactly - Canada and Australia are big but their combined population is less than France. Their combined GDP is a bit more than France but less than Germany.

Considering the distances involved, there's just no way they'll ever be a big share of our trade.

But we deal in services not goods and the modern globalised electronic business environment means distance is irrelevant...
I'm doing some 'services' business with Japan and the Pacific coast of America right now and I'm constantly cursing the time differences. Seriously, doing business with the Germans or French is much easier.

Burai

shitonmychest57

[brexiteer]But the only reason our trade with the Commonwealth is so low is because the EU botched the negotiations/want to keep the Great British Empire under foot. Once we've left, we'll have a much better deal because our negotiators will get a deal that befits our status.[/brexiteer]

Audioboxer

SNP must explain how it will make Brexit work

The SNP must start outlining to the people of Scotland how it’s going to make Brexit a success, rather than “complaining from the sidelines” about the result.

But instead, he will add, since the vote the nationalists have merely bemoaned the result and compounded uncertainty by threatening another independence referendum.

“Yet rather than take these forward, rather than be positive about the future, all the SNP wants to do is sit on the sidelines and complain.

“Scottish ministers must be less downbeat, less pessimistic, and be more hopeful and show some leadership in seizing these chances.”

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/2016/09/snp-must-explain-how-it-will-make-brexit-work/

Oh, dis gonna be gud.

*Ding-dong*

"Hello?"

"Hello! I've set fire to your house and, well, I'm curious as to how you're going to deal with that?"

https://twitter.com/markmcdsnp/status/778223897930002432

You tell them son.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-areas-backed-leave-eu-government-support-report-a7319261.html

London, Scotland and Northern Ireland were shown to have extracted best value from Government coffers in terms of public spending per person adjusted for regional prosperity – the areas that most fervently backed the EU in the referendum.

Meanwhile, the study showed the East Midlands received the worst deal on public spending and was the second most pro-leave region.

Other areas with poor funding deals and high support for Brexit included the West Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber and the North East.

The report challenges claims that the Brexit vote was just about disillusionment with the institutions of the European Union or that it was solely about immigration, the issue which featured most prominently in the referendum campaign.

Food for thought, though keeping the UK together is, quite frankly, probably worth something in regards to Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom