• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I read that Sweden Democrats has invited Nigel Farage to their own Nobel price party to talk about Brexit and independence and so on. Is that what Nigel does ATM?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
2017 will roll around and nothing will be triggered, just an announcement of still talking and how they need to define what it is they need to do but Brexit means Brexit etc.. stay tuned.

jelly

"Germans want to sell us German cars"

Question Time spewing this shite now. Time for bed.

I wish people would question MPs respecting the vote, they are so full of it when they talk about democracy. The only reason they won't question the non binding vote or do what's best for the UK is because they fear losing their seat as most areas voted leave so they would be at risk of getting thrown out at the next opportunity in an election.

I agreed with one women, the government don't have a clue.

Fucking hell, the Italian vinters association is going to save us now.
Here we go Boris since you're too much of a bumbling thundercunt to google something:

https://www.wineaustralia.com/en/ma...of the Brexit on Australian wine exports.ashx

Wine duty charged by Britain ouside of trade agreements is about 15 Eurocents/L (it varies on strength and is less if it's bottled here), which is about 10p a bottle.
Imagine the riots that will be caused if middle class women have to pay 10p a bottle more for their prossecco...

Italy avoids about 50 million aussie dollars (£30million) per year in wine duty because of the single market.
That's essentially fuck all.

...and I see No.10 has already smacked Boris's bottom for going off message. EU negotiators must be quaking in their boots right now.

kmag

Italian wine producers .

I just can't.

He was wrong on the amount by a factor of 10. We import 28m litres of Prosecco not 300m. That's the sort of attention to detail which will come in handy during the negotiations which none of the merry 3 (Fox, Boris and especially Davies) have shown to date. They've had 3 months they should be on top their briefs by now, if not they'll never be.

Like, the german car manufacturers thing makes a tiny bit of sense. VW, BMW, Daimler and whatever are gigantic employers here, contribute alot to our GDP and have quite a bit of political sway in return.

But Italian wine producers.
Next BoJo article will read that french umbrella exporters will do the trick and they wouldn't dare to cut off their biggest market.

Finally the silver lining to the middle-class drinking problem.
lol
He was wrong on the amount by a factor of 10. We import 28m litres of Prosecco not 300m. That's the sort of attention to detail which will come in handy during the negotiations which none of the merry 3 (Fox, Boris and especially Davies) have shown to date. They've had 3 months they should be on top their briefs by now, if not they'll never be.
Yikes.

The ...as Farage put it... "declaration of war" won't even be necessary on the EU's part if the key Brexiters keep being this incompetent.

SteveWD40

2017 will roll around and nothing will be triggered, just an announcement of still talking and how they need to define what it is they need to do but Brexit means Brexit etc.. stay tuned.

Yep, I still don't think for one second May has the will to actually push the button, especially as she has no unity in the party on the outcomes. Remember when Cammo said he would trigger it the day after? lol

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

We are going to be needing 300m litres of Prosecco when Brexit hits, so he is at least right about that

nabil2199

See this is why the UK voted leave.

Just got my tourist visa for the UK this morning, because I have to get in on the low pound action, and it's the only one on my passport where they deemed it necessary to stress that I wasn't allowed "work or recourse to public funds" :D

Just got my tourist visa for the UK this morning, because I have to get in on the low pound action, and it's the only one on my passport where they deemed it necessary to stress that I wasn't allowed "work or recourse to public funds" :D

Don't feel bad, my wife has the bolded printed on her residence permit. AND she has to chip in to the NHS!

kmag

Left without comment:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...00-000-jobs-at-risk-if-clearing-leaves-london

One-hundred thousand jobs would be at risk if clearing leaves the U.K., said London Stock Exchange Group Plc Chief Executive Officer Xavier Rolet.
“We estimate, conservatively, that at a very minimum 100,000 jobs, in risk management, compliance, middle office, back-office support functions -- by the way not just in London, up and down the country -- are implicated in supporting this business and clearly could be at risk,” Rolet said in an interview with Bloomberg Television on Friday. “But the point is that there are very, very few financial centers around the world that could accommodate such a global business.”

Also

Financial firms also may be reacting. An analysis by think tank IPPR found job postings for that sector in London fell 13.6 percent in the two months after the referendum.

AHA-Lambda

everyone, repeat after me "we haven't even left yet"

Yep, we've not even left yet. And this is what's happening.

412d10c1c5cfd5bb277f9a02b3464e51.gif

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Oh please as if anyone involved with Brexit would admit to being on the same level as the French.

Now, now, (unlikely) allies and that. A lot of anti-globalists aren't necessarily anti-nearest neighbour and ally, and France has been solid as both for about 100 years. In fact, if anyone can talk Brexiters out of it, well, it won't be freaking Germany...that's just the reality of the situation.

Though, really, GAF, you need to accept that most people in the UK want to leave, and that's a right. It would be political suicide if the Conservatives didn't accept those wishes. It will hurt economically, but life will go on. It was a really bad idea as far as Northern Ireland and Scotland are concerned politically, however, not just the overall UK economically.

TimmmV

Now, now, (unlikely) allies and that. A lot of anti-globalists aren't necessarily anti-nearest neighbour and ally, and France has been solid as both for about 100 years. In fact, if anyone can talk Brexiters out of it, well, it won't be freaking Germany...that's just the reality of the situation.

So the hatred of France is an unfair stereotype, but that of Germany isn't? Not sure that really helps your point

Pancake Mix

So the hatred of France is an unfair stereotype, but that of Germany isn't? Not sure that really helps your point

Not saying it's fair, but France likely gets a bit more trust than Germany in this regard. It's all unfair stereotypes* at the end of the day.

*Nonsense, in other words.

Though, really, GAF, you need to accept that most people in the UK want to leave, and that's a right. It would be political suicide if the Conservatives didn't accept those wishes. It will hurt economically, but life will go on. It was a really bad idea as far as Northern Ireland and Scotland are concerned politically, however, not just the overall UK economically.

I think many of us do accept the result of the vote, but it's fairly obvious the 'majority' is only apt for the overall aim of 'leave', not anything substantive, detailed or actually... real.

Pancake Mix

It is very strange that the only prominent voice talking sense is George Osborne.

Except he's not entirely. A completely "soft brexit" would be essentially nominal and not give anything the leave campaigners were campaigning on. It can't just be Brexit in name only (essentially become a non-voting member.)

*Splinter

Except he's not entirely. A completely "soft brexit" would be essentially nominal and not give anything the leave campaigners were campaigning on. It can't just be Brexit in name only (essentially become a non-voting member.)
Leave campaigners where campaigning on market access without freedom of movement. That's not a thing and it isn't going to be.

AHA-Lambda

Risk magement and office jobs?

Okay.

Yes, screw those guys who are soon to be unemployed at the whims of chest thumping nationalists!

The leave side not getting what they want is probably the best outcome so who cares

Pancake Mix

Leave campaigners where campaigning on market access without freedom of movement. That's not a thing and it isn't going to be.

It might be to some extent if the UK continues to pay into EU coffers. Without a preferential market deal of some sort for the UK, the EU isn't getting that as the UK economy would be crippled and there'd be no incentive for the UK to pay. The EU will have to compromise, or the UK will simply take its crippled economy and not pay. Norway and Switzerland are not real solutions as they're in the Schengen Area, and in a bizarre way, more within the EU than the UK is.

May isn't going to accept no immigration control and paying for the EU in exchange for nominally leaving. This is going to get messy, but nobody is going to win. The EU will play hardball to discourage anyone else (Hungary) from leaving, and the UK is not going to back down on the main reason it voted out.

As much as Leave voters were unrealistic, the EU obviously wants their cake and to eat it too as well, but if they're too harsh the UK has no incentive whatsoever to pay.

The UK is not paying for having none of its demands met, and a crippled economy as a result. That is obvious. The economy is already going to get bad enough...

The leave side not getting what they want is probably the best outcome so who cares

I care. Most UK voters and much of the ruling party want out of the EU, too bad if that fact upsets you.

Pancake Mix

The EU is the last who will have to compromise. It's also not just the EU but also the EFTA.

Again, the UK won't continue to pay into the EU budget without preferential market access of some kind. It just won't happen, there's no incentive to. Politics is all about finding compromises. If the EU won't then the UK economy will suffer even more, but the UK will not pay into the EU's coffers after they leave completely in return for absolutely nothing. That they would is the Remain equivalent of "Mexico will pay for that wall."

Also, the UK is not in EFTA anymore, and that block is not priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom