• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering her hiding during the campaign, having audio of her saying the exact opposite of what she'll be saying in public now is if nothing else, amusing.

Theonik

Nothing of what May says in any way surprises me tbh. It makes perfect sense given what is happening in the City right now.
Yeah you have to have had a brain aneurysm to think otherwise. Unfortunately British politicians don't have the spine to say this at this point in time.

Not that it's not understandable. They have 2 options. 1) Tell people they are idiots and suffer the consequences of this, while potentially harming their exit negotiations. 2) Go through with it hoping for the best, pretend everything is fine to maintain that illusion. Hope it's someone else's problem.

PJV3

I try to get my head around a politician possibly wanting to go down in history for ruining a country when they don't need to.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There is this old video about how politicians are no longer able - or too afraid - to make unpopular decisions in the best interests of the country. I don't 100% buy it, but it seems relevant.

May strikes me as a very intellectually rigid person. She seems to have set her mind to leaving, I doubt there is some elaborate game being played. I imagine she figures that 'acting according to a democratic mandate' is justification for the damage about to be wrought. She's a coward.

The major leave supporters - Boris aside - are idiots but sincere in their beliefs. May and Boris are cowards. They know better and act otherwise.

excowboy

I try to get my head around a politician possibly wanting to go down in history for ruining a country when they don't need to.

A million times, this. We keep hearing every MP saying 'we must respect the vote etc' whilst no-one has the guts to publicly ask the question 'err... guys, maybe this is a bad idea?'. I'm not keen to see the referendum outright ignored but maybe just be honest with the public about what this entails rather than all the bullshit soundbites.

Lucreto

As an Irishman who is used in voting in referendums and voting again on the same issue until we get it right I think another referendum should be held a few days before article 50 is invoked just to make sure you really want to do this.

This time with none of the lies from either side just plain facts. In my eyes that referendum was a complete farce where the leave side say one thing and withdraw it after the vote only to scarper and get government jobs.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
As an Irishman who is used in voting in referendums and voting again on the same issue until we get it right I think another referendum should be held a few days before article 50 is invoked just to make sure you really want to do this.

This time with none of the lies from either side just plain facts. In my eyes that referendum was a complete farce where the leave side say one thing and withdraw it after the vote only to scarper and get government jobs.

I don't agree with holding the same referendum again because whatever the outcome it undermines the very idea or voting for something. If you're just going to ask the same question until you get the answer you want then most people will treat it like the joke it is.

I would support another referendum on the terms of any deal though and if it came to pass that the deal was bad and people rejected it them so be it (although it would be too late at that point so who knows). just asking the same question again would be a disaster imo.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I just can't see these people sinking the country in such an obvious folly. This is beyond the usual Tory fuckery because a hard Brexit would also screw up their base and they absolutely never do that. They'll dismantle everything at the cost of the poor and working class, but they'll never fuck over the middle and upper classes.

I wonder if we'll perhaps get to after Christmas, the effects of the ailing Pound will be truly felt and then we'll get the backtracking.

Xando

So with the leaked may tape we have 2/4 people responsible for Brexit negotiations coming out against Brexit.
Why are we doing this again?

Engell

I don't agree with holding the same referendum again because whatever the outcome it undermines the very idea or voting for something. If you're just going to ask the same question until you get the answer you want then most people will treat it like the joke it is.

People redo exams and other tests all the time, especially if parts of the exam was false and based on lies. Normally a test based on lies would usually require you to redo a test immediately.
Why is it that a non binding referendum is taken so seriously when the decision was based on misinformation, did they even vote for it in parliament? How about doing a new vote and telling everyone that their pension will be worth at least 25% more if they decide to stay.

Pander to the Leave crowd while secretly hoping the Remain campaign wins.

That UK politicians are opportunistic as fuck is well known. And it doesn't surprise me that the close result led to such aggressive rhetoric now the weaker your position the more aggressive do you need to act - its a textbook behavior in such situations.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oh, those May recordings are both delicious and deeply sad. She is now, by her own words, leading the UK into the past.

She is now bound by the people's vote (or at least would ignore it at her political peril), of course, but her stance during the referendum in light of this reveals a lot about her principles or lack thereof.

SteveWD40

I just can't see these people sinking the country in such an obvious folly. This is beyond the usual Tory fuckery because a hard Brexit would also screw up their base and they absolutely never do that. They'll dismantle everything at the cost of the poor and working class, but they'll never fuck over the middle and upper classes.

I wonder if we'll perhaps get to after Christmas, the effects of the ailing Pound will be truly felt and then we'll get the backtracking.

Although I agree with the post above about wishful thinking, I also agree that it would be a first to see the Torys damage their voting block of bankers and traders.

I just can't see either happening so I am still assuming a 3rd option where we leave but keep the market access and immigration in a very one sided negotiation where we end up exactly where we are now (just worse off) and May can claim she "delivered Brexit".

No one will be happy but the economy won't collapse and May won't be crucified for ignoring the vote.

Jezbollah

Although I agree with the post above about wishful thinking, I also agree that it would be a first to see the Torys damage their voting block of bankers and traders.

I just can't see either happening so I am still assuming a 3rd option where we leave but keep the market access and immigration in a very one sided negotiation where we end up exactly where we are now (just worse off) and May can claim she "delivered Brexit".

No one will be happy but the economy won't collapse and May won't be crucified for ignoring the vote.

I think you're very close to the realities of what will eventually happen Steve.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

This is the most likely.

Maledict

Zac Goldsmith is so fucking useless it's embarrassing. He can't even resign properly. Why on EARTH would he not use his speech in the House of Commons to resign? That's how you do damage. Doing it later in the day via press release is just pure dumb.

Given how badly his awful, racist campaign for London Mayor panned out he's really showing himself to just be an entirely unimpressive human being.

Edit: I also love the fact that suddenly the tories care about the environment and pollution...

dumbo

Zac Goldsmith is so fucking useless it's embarrassing. He can't even resign properly. Why on EARTH would he not use his speech in the House of Commons to resign? That's how you do damage. Doing it later in the day via press release is just pure dumb.

It's basically 'Plan Boris'. He leaves the main party, becomes seen as a 'man of the people', then rejoins and becomes leader.

There's no actual intent to damage the party or stop Heathrow.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Don't agree with that at all. Zac Goldsmith is a horrible man for his mayoral bid but he has a long past in supporting environmental causes and long ago promised that he would quit if the Heathrow expansion went ahead. He's actually sticking by his principles.

I mean, it is easy to be principled when you are rich as shit, but I am not about to criticise someone for doing exactly what they said they would do in support of the wishes of his electorate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah you have to have had a brain aneurysm to think otherwise. Unfortunately British politicians don't have the spine to say this at this point in time.

Well if they do, like Ken Clarke did on last weeks Question Time, they'll just be booed and told they are "ignoring the people" (because those who voted remain are sub-human apparently).

Then again said audience also booed a Polish lady who pointed out she has never felt discriminated against until we entered a post Brexit Britain.

jelly

It would be nice if politicians did what was best for the country and collaborated on good ideas instead of being opposing forces just because they are opposing parties.

May is basically looking out for herself first, party second, country last which is disgraceful.

Take a step back, open the channels again and admit leaving the EU isn't a great idea and be positive about what could be done to change course and better the country within the EU instead of much misplaced blaming the EU for all our ills. Have a proper debate on the merits and no lies. I would have a lot of respect for her and others if they looked at this again instead of blindly respecting the people's vote. Sometimes it just isn't the right thing to do and you have to be big enough to admit it and be selfless.

Zaph

Take a step back, open the channels again and admit leaving the EU isn't a great idea and be positive about what could be done to change course and better the country within the EU instead of much misplaced blaming the EU for all our ills. Have a proper debate on the merits and no lies. I would have a lot of respect for her and others if they looked at this again instead of blindly respecting the people's vote. Sometimes it just isn't the right thing to do and you have to be big enough to admit it and be selfless.

They can't do that because it would give rise to the likes of UKIP again. The referendum has done exactly what they wanted - UKIP is falling apart and their voters are coming back (along with a lot of Labour's).

The Tories no.1 objective is to stay in power - at any cost. They are scared witless of being the perennial opposition, and frankly, without the nation's fear of immigration, they probably would have been. They would rather rule a burning pile of a ash, than concede power.

I don't think she needs to "admit" leaving the EU is a bad idea; she campaigned against it. What she's doing has the most direct mandate possible, not clouded by first past the post wankery, nor the fact that you can agree with a party on some policies and not others yet your vote doesn't discriminate at an election. The referendum result was clear and she's executing the will of the people. I think all this talk of "desperate to stay in power" is ignorant of the situation.

Nicktendo86

So with the leaked may tape we have 2/4 people responsible for Brexit negotiations coming out against Brexit.
Why are we doing this again?

The tape isn't exactly a massive surprise though, she came out for remain and in fact said pretty much the same stuff in public as she did in that tape. These are not new revelations.

jelly

They can't do that because it would give rise to the likes of UKIP again. The referendum has done exactly what they wanted - UKIP is falling apart and their voters are coming back (along with a lot of Labour's).

The Tories no.1 objective is to stay in power - at any cost. They are scared witless of being the perennial opposition, and frankly, without the nation's fear of immigration, they probably would have been. They would rather rule a burning pile of a ash, than concede power.

True and it sucks that they can just carry on like that. Shameful.

Zaph

I don't think she needs to "admit" leaving the EU is a bad idea; she campaigned against it. What she's doing has the most direct mandate possible, not clouded by first past the post wankery, nor the fact that you can agree with a party on some policies and not others yet your vote doesn't discriminate at an election. The referendum result was clear and she's executing the will of the people. I think all this talk of "desperate to stay in power" is ignorant of the situation.

If it was a simple referendum held in good faith, I would agree. But given the sheer levels of fuckery involved - the protest voters, the campaign lies, the disingenuous leaders, the sheer ignorance to what the EU is and the general lack of understanding about foreign diplomacy in this country - blindly following this 'mandate' is to be a populist, cowardly robot hiding behind the "will of the people", and that's where the ignorance of the situation really lies.

Nicktendo86

WTO boss doesn't think there will be too much trade disruption.

The head of the World Trade Organisation has vowed to ensure Britain will not face a trade "vacuum or a disruption", however tough its exit from the European Union.

Roberto Azevedo said that he did not believe the Brexit vote was "anti-trade" and dismissed fears that Britain could suffer a sudden seizure of trade during or after its negotiations with the EU.

In an exclusive interview with Sky News, the WTO director-general also said that while Britain would have to renegotiate its membership of the trade body after its EU departure, the process was relatively straightforward.

"I will be working hard - I will work very intensely to ensure that this transition is fast and is smooth," he said.

"The less turbulence the better. The global economy today is not in the best shape for us to be introducing turbulence."

Also says the government has a plan. Have to wonder how much we would have actually been told but he has been in contact with Liam Fox.

Asked whether he felt the UK had a comprehensive plan, he said: "I think there is a major strategy.

"Since the vote there have been a lot of bright people spending 24 hours a day thinking about this and coming up with alternatives and a game plan."

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-will-not-cause-uk-trade-disruption-wto-boss-10632803

Not sure how we got from "leave the EU" to "prevent free market access in favour of reduced immigration" though as the "will of the people".

Nicktendo86

Not sure how we got from "leave the EU" to "prevent free market access in favour of reduced immigration" though as the "will of the people".

Politicians have brought this up countless times on shows like the Daily Politics and have been shown clips of both sides saying during the campaign a vote to leave the EU means to leave the single market. Cameron and Osbourne said it from the remain side and Gove, Johnson and Leadsom said it from the leave side.

It was pretty clear what we where voting for.

Politicians have brought this up countless times on shows like the Daily Politics and have been shown clips of both sides saying during the campaign a vote to leave the EU means to leave the single market. Cameron and Osbourne said it from the remain side and Gove, Johnson and Leadsom said it from the leave side.

No. The referendum was clear about wanting to Leave or Remain in the EU only. Nothing else. What the politicians stated makes no difference to how the result should be carried out.

There were no little additional boxes on the ballot paper asking which issue was more important. If you're talking about a mandate, then that can only come from what was on the referendum paper.

theaface

LOL, good one. I followed the referendum very closely and heard everything from remain a full member, to EEA, to EEA+, to 'be like Norway', to WTO. Don't forget, of course, that we voted leave so that we could use the £350 million a week to fund the NHS instead.

Oh and Johnson was a vocal advocate of remaining in the single market, FYI.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...referendum-single-market-brexit-a7104846.html

PJV3

Everyone knew what they were voting for, that's why the government is making it up as they go along.

Find out in March...possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom