• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Google chucking £1B into UK, creating thousands of jobs and saying very nice things about the talent pool.

CEO even cites he feels post Brexit UK is good bet but hints he feels freedom of movement could continue...

How the fuck can they know anything lol

I think people don't expect anything to happen.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Google chucking £1B into UK, creating thousands of jobs and saying very nice things about the talent pool.

CEO even cites he feels post Brexit UK is good bet but hints he feels freedom of movement could continue...

So May is going to go to every non-UK company with UK operations individually, cutting deals and making assurances?

Doesn't sound inefficient or costly at all. Makes her look fantastic in the DM, though.

he says controls on skilled migration to be fair, so google won't really have much to worry about on that front I won't think since they won't be hiring much unskilled labour. this almost certainly isn't a case of the government giving google a deal.

nekkid

he says controls on skilled migration to be fair, so google won't really have much to worry about on that front I won't think since they won't be hiring much unskilled labour. this almost certainly isn't a case of the government giving google a deal.

I'm just really cynical, at this point. And I don't feel like that's a wrong way to be, tbh.

Tuffty

Probably predicts that Brexit will be softer than anticipated or that it won't happen at all. Google is also notorious for not paying nearly as much corporation tax as expected. But even so, we'll take anything we can get at this point...

Zaph

Long story short, this is how my commercial property friend who worked on the Apple Battersea Power Station deal broke it down for me at lunch:

Brexit shocked Apple which almost sunk the BPS deal. What saved it was the concern the next US gov wouldn't improve the H1-B visa situation (even if Dems won), so they would still need a very desirable (English speaking) location to attract foreign talent to - and a post-Brexit UK would start handing out visas to highly skilled migrants to stimulate the economy. Google had a similar thought process but weren't as pessimistic about H1-B, however the announcement of BPS forced Google's hand as they need to assert a stronger presence with a competing location, as well as attract (and poach) talent. Trump's victory just removed any doubt on both deals.

nekkid

Long story short, this is how my commercial property friend who worked on the Apple Battersea Power Station deal broke it down for me at lunch:

Brexit shocked Apple which almost sunk the BPS deal. What saved it was the concern the next US gov wouldn't improve the H1-B visa situation (even if Dems won), so they would still need a very desirable (English speaking) location to attract foreign talent to - and a post-Brexit UK would start handing out visas to highly skilled migrants to stimulate the economy. Google had a similar thought process but weren't as pessimistic about H1-B, however the announcement of BPS forced Google's hand as they need to assert a stronger presence with a competing location, as well as attract (and poach) talent. Trump's victory just removed any doubt on both deals.

That's interesting, and logical. Thanks, America!

That aside, I do wonder why Dublin wouldn't be a more stable English-speaking opportunity.

Maledict

That's interesting, and logical. Thanks, America!

That aside, I do wonder why Dublin wouldn't be a more stable English-speaking opportunity.

It doesn't have the same ability to attract talent. For all it's faults, London is one of the best places in the world to attract talent across a whole host of services and industries.

nekkid

It doesn't have the same ability to attract talent. For all it's faults, London is one of the best places in the world to attract talent across a whole host of services and industries.

You're right, of course, but Ireland isn't alien to the tech industry already, though. Both Dell and Microsoft have big operations there.

I don't see why not. London isn't going to stop being an awesome place to live for rich people.

Ehh, I'd say Amsterdam or Berlin are more fun places to live. Nightlife is dying here in London, and it's not due to lack of popularity or anything. Depends on the person though. I want to move to those places sometime.

nickcv

I don't see why not. London isn't going to stop being an awesome place to live for rich people.

Lets define rich... I'm a Team / tech lead working for a unicorn in London and trust me I'm not exactly living the life, nor is any of my colleagues.

What salary is "rich"?

If you are talking above 100k I know no dev that makes that kind of money

Saw a great tweet that read "it's sad we know more about Brexit from Czech Media and Italian Ministers than we do our own Government"

Are they drip feeding us this way? Only thing May seems to do about Brexit in PMQs is to take lame shots at the opposition.

sammex

May won't answer anything in PMQs because she doesn't want to give anything away to the EU that could weaken our negotiating position. Just like how Trump has a plan to defeat ISIS but won't say what it is because then it wouldn't work. Won't be long until we have the best future possible for the UK and peace in the middle east.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just seen next week's Question Time will be in London.

Should be interesting to see a more pro remain audience for once rather than the usual "But the people" audience.

Xun

Just seen next week's Question Time will be in London.

Should be interesting to see a more pro remain audience for once rather than the usual "But the people" audience.
It'll be nice not seeing fat balding middle-aged people shouting absolute shite for a change.

PJV3

May won't answer anything in PMQs because she doesn't want to give anything away to the EU that could weaken our negotiating position. Just like how Trump has a plan to defeat ISIS but won't say what it is because then it wouldn't work. Won't be long until we have the best future possible for the UK and peace in the middle east.

May has a plan so cunning that it will stump European leaders for two years, we can't possibly hear about any of it 3 months early and ruin it all.

I got rejected by the Civil Service when I applied for a job with them. I wonder what the young professionals who work there feel having to help with Brexit when they overwhelmingly despise the fact that this is even a thing in the first place. Do they know I have a GAF account and hate Brexit? *looks around*

Everyone I've met who works in tech hates Brexit. I think demographics will shift against Leave in 2 years, so that's why they're desperate to force it through quickly. Their narrow victory will soon be wiped out by millenials, so I hope they delay and delay some more.

nekkid

I got rejected by the Civil Service when I applied for a job with them. I wonder what the young professionals who work there feel having to help with Brexit when they overwhelmingly despise the fact that this is even a thing in the first place. Do they know I have a GAF account and hate Brexit? *looks around*

Everyone I've met who works in tech hates Brexit. I think demographics will shift against Leave in 2 years, so that's why they're desperate to force it through quickly. Their narrow victory will soon be wiped out by millenials, so I hope they delay and delay some more.

But the weird thing is that the PM and the Tories were largely against it.

nekkid

They were largely against it until they saw how popular a Leave stance was with certain loud parts of the electorate.

Actually I'm not sure the Tories were *that* against it privately.

But going back to the post above, I don't see what "rushing it" would do to their benefit. Surely it's in their interest to do what the most popular thing is. If that electorate, and therefore general opinion changes before they get a chance to leave, then they would do the most favourable thing.

kmag

They were largely against it until they saw how popular a Leave stance was with certain loud parts of the electorate.

Actually I'm not sure the Tories were *that* against it privately.

I wouldn't be so sure, some were ambivalent on it, but the businessmen who actually fund the Tories were pretty uniformly against with the exception of some spectulators who'll make out of it.

Calabi

But going back to the post above, I don't see what "rushing it" would do to their benefit. Surely it's in their interest to do what the most popular thing is. If that electorate, and therefore general opinion changes before they get a chance to leave, then they would do the most favourable thing.

Their insane its the only answer that makes any sense. If they go through with it in a rush and it all goes pear shaped then they are going to be in deep shit, fully culpable for it.

sammex

tumblr_ogr88j0ztQ1t0grs4o1_1280.png

Front page of tomorrows FT.

Can we all just admit its a big mistake now?

Zaph

FT said:
...but it would come only five years after the vote, indicating that the cost might rise further in the future.

So fuck the youth basically.

I cannot wait until we get to tear up the Triple Lock.

Rodelero

So fuck the youth basically.

I cannot wait until we get to tear up the Triple Lock.

"Fuck the young" has been a core government policy for a pretty long time.

Triple lock; negligible house building and lacking social housing; slow and ridiculously expensive transport network; lacking effort to deal with climate change; student loans (which really ought to be called the Educated Youth Tax); no regulation of the buy-to-let market; leaving the EU... the list gets longer and longer.

Irminsul

Boris Johnson ridiculed by European ministers after prosecco claim

That article is quite funny. Or sad. Or both.

“[Boris Johnson] basically said: ‘I don’t want free movement of people but I want the single market,’” he told Bloomberg. “I said: ‘No way.’ He said: ‘You’ll sell less prosecco.’ I said: ‘OK, you’ll sell less fish and chips, but I’ll sell less prosecco to one country and you’ll sell less to 27 countries.’ Putting things on this level is a bit insulting.”

[...]

“Somebody needs to tell us something, and it needs to be something that makes sense,” he told Bloomberg. “You can’t say that it’s sensible to say we want access to the single market but no free circulation of people. It’s obvious that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.”

[...]

Dijsselbloem told the BBC’s Newsnight: [...] “He’s saying things that are intellectually impossible, politically unavailable, so I think he’s not offering the British people a fair view of what is available and what can be achieved in these negotiations.”

Boris is a disgrace. I really don't see how he got this far. I can't believe that he's still trying this whole "But then you'll sell less cake/prosecco/whatever" approach, as if it were smart to begin with.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone watch the PMQs yesterday? Corbyn actually did pretty decently in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OacRLA4ASgY

He seems to finally have woken up a bit and May is clearly shaken.

Corbyn's been getting steadily better for a while and unnerves May more often than not. She's not anywhere near as good as Cameron was, and May-Corbyn is an increasingly even match. But nobody notices because nobody watches PMQs and nobody cares because no newspaper will report it that way anyway.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
EU set to ask Ukip group to repay almost £150,000 in 'misspent funds'

Ukip is likely to be asked to repay tens of thousands of euros by European parliament finance chiefs who have accused the party of misspending EU funds on party workers and Nigel Farage’s failed bid to win a seat in Westminster.

The Alliance for Direct Democracy in Europe, a Ukip-dominated political vehicle, will be asked to repay €173,000 (£148,000) in misspent funds and denied a further €501,000 in EU grants for breaking European rules that ban spending EU money on national election campaigns and referendums.

According to a European parliament audit report seen by the Guardian, Ukip spent EU funds on polling and analysis in constituencies where they hoped to win a seat in the 2015 general election, including the South Thanet seat that party leader Farage contested. The party also funded polls to gauge the public mood on leaving the EU, months before the official campaign kicked off in April 2016.

“These services were not in the interest of the European party, which could neither be involved in the national elections nor in the referendum on national level,” concluded the parliament’s finance watchdog.

“The constituencies selected for many of the polls underline that the polling was conducted in the interest of Ukip. Most of the constituencies can be identified as being essential for reaching a significant representation in the House of Commons from the 2015 general election or for a positive result for the leave campaign,” the report continued.

The ADDE also used EU funds for polling ahead of the Scottish and Welsh elections in 2016, the report said.

Summarising, the report stated: “The administration discovered a substantial number of activities for which financing ought to be considered as non-eligible expenditure.”

Ukip rejected allegations it had broken EU rules. “We have abided by the rules at all times,” a party spokesman said. The ADDE has been contacted for comment.

The report suggests the ADDE would go bankrupt without these funds, a further problem for the cash-strapped Eurosceptic group. European parties are only entitled to EU grants if they can prove they have other sources of income, such as membership dues and donations.

If the report is approved by European parliament leaders on Monday, the ADDE will be asked “to propose measures for financial improvement” within a month.

The ADDE is a pan-European political party dominated by Ukip, but includes MEPs from Germany’s hard-right Alternative for Deutschland and one former member of France’s Front National. The pan-European party has a far lower profile than the Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy, another Ukip-dominated group that manages the daily business of Farage’s party and his allies in the European parliament. Both have become significant sources of funding for Ukip.

Of the ADDE’s 35 members, 15 are Ukip MEPs, including Farage, as well as the frontrunner to replace him, Paul Nuttall. Steven Woolfe is listed as a member on the ADDE website, although he quit Ukip last month after a public altercation with a fellow MEP that left him in hospital.

The report names three Ukip party workers who were given contracts to run Ukip opinion polls said to be funded by EU money.

The report says Christopher Lowe, better known as Chris Bruni-Lowe, Sam Gould and Daryll Pitcher were found to have done consultancy work for Ukip while being active party workers – a breach of EU rules, according to the report.

Chris Lowe received €87,000 over six months in 2015 from Ukip, while he was the party’s campaign director, according to the report. Sam Gould, Ukip campaign manager for the Welsh elections and a parliamentary candidate, was given €25,000 between June and September 2015. Daryll Pitcher, another Ukip parliamentary candidate, benefitted from contracts worth €21,000 over the same period.

The report does not suggest the three men were aware they could be receiving unauthorised funds. From the work of the three consultants it was “obvious that the principal objective and the core activity of Ukip concerned the EU referendum”. The analysis from the polls “was indisputably useful for Ukip” and “the financing of these polls and the thereto linked activities shall be considered as non-eligible.

“The expenditure related to them is found non-eligible as the consultants were paid for an activity that was predominantly or even purely in the interest of the national party Ukip and therefore are considered as prohibited.”

The report covers 2015, so does not include the period of the EU referendum in June, or the frenzied weeks of campaigning in the spring and summer of this year. The ADDE is still entitled to €820,000 in EU funds for 2015.

The report will be presented to the European parliament’s most senior MEPs at a closed session on Monday night in Strasbourg. The committee, chaired by European parliament president, Martin Schulz, is expected to approve the request for repayment.

The total €500,000 in denied expenses includes €23,000 that will be refused to Belgium’s People’s party, another ADDE member accused of misspending.

Parliamentary auditors are also seeking €34,000 from the Institute for Direct Democracy in Europe, a Ukip-affiliated pan-European thinktank. In this case, a Dutch political party is accused of misspending EU funds on a referendum in the Netherlands. Dutch voters rejected closer ties with Ukraine in April, in a vote seen as a victory for Eurosceptics months before the Brexit decision.

The report was drawn up as part of the annual checks on EU party finance. Other pan-European parties were given a clean bill of health earlier this year, but parliamentary authorities opened an investigation into Ukip after independent auditors refused to sign off the accounts.

The EU has been funding pan-European political parties since 2004 in an attempt to boost interest in European parliament elections. Parties are entitled to grants for conferences and European elections, but not national elections or referendums. Consultants are also meant to be independent from the parties they are working for.

Ukip spokesman Gawain Towler rejected the report’s central claim that the party and ADDE group had failed to comply with EU rules. “We have been scrupulously careful and we have abided by the rules at all times.” Asked about the named individuals, he repeated: “We have abided by the rules at all times.”

He questioned the timing of the report, which he said neither Ukip nor the ADDE group had seen. “I do think it seems odd ... You received this before we did and [the ADDE] did.”

Joe Jenkins, an ADDE spokesman, accused the European parliament of trying to shut down the pan-European party and said the group would contest the claims in the European court of justice.

“The parliament administration has for months taken an aggressive and hostile attitude over the audit, amounting to nothing short of deliberate harassment,” he said in a statement.

“We have responded to their queries with a mass of information and explanation justifying our activities and expenditure. They have simply ignored our submissions and in several cases these submissions having been made repeatedly on their request.”

“They have broadened the definition of “expenditure supporting a political party” so widely as to deny us the right to undertake any activity which might be remotely interesting to ADDE members.”

Maledict

They won the war. We're further to the right politically today than at any point since 1903, and leaving the EU.

Are we?

Not To defend them, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that. The former prime minister just got an award for his work to improve gay rights, at the same event where the current prime minister spoke about needing to do more and tackle homophobia in schools. The government accepts that climate change is real. It accepts the need for a minimum wage, and the need to raise it. It's investing in large scale, government backed infrastructure projects.

They are an utter bunch of shambolic cock wombles who are committing some evil acts, but I don't think we can stick them on the traditional right / left axis. It's hard for me, as a gay man, to accept that the government is further to the right than any previous administration of the last 100 years.

Are we?

Not To defend them, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that. The former prime minister just got an award for his work to improve gay rights, at the same event where the current prime minister spoke about needing to do more and tackle homophobia in schools. The government accepts that climate change is real. It accepts the need for a minimum wage, and the need to raise it. It's investing in large scale, government backed infrastructure projects.

They are an utter bunch of shambolic cock wombles who are committing some evil acts, but I don't think we can stick them on the traditional right / left axis. It's hard for me, as a gay man, to accept that the government is further to the right than any previous administration of the last 100 years.

I'd place more emphasis on the direction of change, and the rapidity of it.

We've gone back to blaming the poor for being poor (laziness), and vilifying them for it.
We've rolled back union rights, again.
We've imposed massive cuts on the disabled.
We're ignoring the young unemployed.
We've rolled back legal aid to horrendous levels.
We're rolling back any semblance of a welfare state (hence early-1900s)
We're getting rid of human rights agreements.
Our judges are being slandered, and aren't being protected.

It's fucking dire.

Meanwhile reality sets in: FT: Wolfgang Schäuble sets out tough line on Brexit

“Until the UK’s exit is complete, Britain will certainly have to fulfil its commitments,” he said. “Possibly there will be some commitments that last beyond the exit … even, in part, to 2030 … Also we cannot grant any generous rebates.”

In addition to demands for long-term financial payments, Mr Schäuble insisted Britain must stick to international rules on investment incentives, a clear signal Berlin would closely watch commitment like those Mrs May made to carmaker Nissan, which recently won government assurances before it agreed to build new models in the UK

“These rules apply to all whether EU members or not,” he said.

Mr Schäuble noted that Group of 20 agreements commit members to limiting tax avoidance — an initiative, led by Germany and the UK, that would reduce Britain’s ability to grant breaks to companies, even after leaving the bloc.

“The UK is still a member of the EU and it is a country which has always upheld the valid regulations, valid laws and valid treaties,” said Mr Schäuble.

He added that the UK should be prepared for financial services to move to European centres such as Frankfurt, Germany’s financial hub, and backed continental calls for the City of London to lose its lucrative euro-clearing business.

Euro clearing must be done within the eurozone because “the euro is the EU’s common currency even when not all member states of the EU have this currency”, he said.

The UK would not get special treatment on migration if it wanted to remain in the EU’s common market, he said, describing freedom of movement as a core element of the internal market. “There is no à la carte menu. There is only the whole menu or none,” he said, arguing that British restrictions on EU immigration would end financial services companies’ free access to EU markets under so-called passporting rules.

“Without membership of the internal market, without acceptance of the four basic freedoms of the internal market there can, of course, be no passporting, no free access for financial products or for financial actors,” he said.

The possible costs to the UK financial sector were highlighted this week by a private EY report circulated among British officials, which estimated London could lose 83,000 jobs over the next seven years if euro-clearing moved to the continent.

Mr Schäuble said “very many requests” were coming from London-based companies interested in relocating parts of their business to Frankfurt.

This is how badly Brexit has blown open the British Left.

mNQwZyR.png

Labour is in serious trouble if this poll is accurate. They have had ample time to back a second referendum, and they have not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom