• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Yes, yes, people voted for an economic catastrophe for less than watertight reasons. Can we just crash this plane into the floor already? This nosedive is getting tedious.

sammex

So, this happens:

and this is the response of the Sun and the Mail:

C3wHTJ5WIAE5ZUR.jpg

And they say 'liberals' are the patronising shits. Fuck them. They are poison.

She probably read about it in the Sun

8c2b61999bc344e1adfc1d0e85cd4c57.png

Or the Mail

ffee52da0fae4ccfb98c450547ad3ceb.png
358aef95ea4f4c38beaf87e30f14a9bf.png

Funny thing is that this myth is based on guidelines that have mostly been abolished but were only a classification thing. You could still sell bendy bananas but you'd have to call them class 2 rather than class 1. It was so that importers could know which quality of banana that they were bringing into the EU more than anything else.

Stuff was also important for the industry. Machines can't handle non class 1 vegatables and fruits, so such classifications are quite useful.

Lagamorph

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-bill-may-warns-mps-not-to-obstruct-the-will-of-the-people-10758682

So some Tory MPs are now openly talking about voting against triggering Article 50 when it comes to the final vote. Dozens of amendments is being discussed at this very moment in Parliament.

Live updates - http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-live-labour-seeks-amendments-to-bill-10758628

May is none too happy about any support for Amendments it seems, she's "warning Tory MPs not to obstruct the will of the people" :fp:

theaface

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-bill-may-warns-mps-not-to-obstruct-the-will-of-the-people-10758682

So some Tory MPs are now openly talking about voting against triggering Article 50 when it comes to the final vote. Dozens of amendments is being discussed at this very moment in Parliament.

Live updates - http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-live-labour-seeks-amendments-to-bill-10758628

May is none too happy about any support for Amendments it seems, she's "warning Tory MPs not to obstruct the will of the people" :fp:

"Do not trust to hope, it has forsaken these lands."

But seriously, I think we've all seen enough of this Tory government, and the state of politics in this country generally, to realise that the people we entrust to do right by the general population will not do so. You'll get a few good eggs in the pack (e.g. Kenneth Clarke) but when push comes to shove, the majority will adhere to the populist rhetoric and vote along party lines, just as they're told.

Parliament votes against a Labour clause requiring the Government to update MPs every two months on the progress of its Brexit negotiations with Brussels.

I mean, this shit right here is a perfect example of why we should all despair. A perfectly reasonable amendment to ensure parliament is consulted on the negotiation process, voted down. I don't, for one second, buy into the "not revealing your hand" too soon argument. The whole world knows our negotiating position - namely that we're not playing with a full deck.

The only tiny glimmer of hope is that somehow, some way May is strong-armed into having to accept single market access. That way neither Remainers or Leavers are especially happy, but at least we don't drive the economy off a cliff. We will see.

Uzzy

So Corbyn's imposing a three line whip on Labour MPs to vote in favour of the third reading of the Brexit bill. There was a chance of threading the needle and navigating the unique problems that Labour face over Brexit by voting in favour of the second reading then trying to pass amendments and seeing how they went before deciding how to vote at the third reading, but that's gone now.

So Corbyn's imposing a three line whip on Labour MPs to vote in favour of the third reading of the Brexit bill. There was a chance of threading the needle and navigating the unique problems that Labour face over Brexit by voting in favour of the second reading then trying to pass amendments and seeing how they went before deciding how to vote at the third reading, but that's gone now.

I hate Corbyn more and more with each passing day. He's pathetic.

Theonik

Fucking twat.

Jezbollah

I wonder how many rebels he'll get second time around?

I take it Diane Abbot's scheduled for the flu or something.

The vote would be to accept the deal. If parliament votes it down, it'd be up to the negotiators to decide whether to seek extension or walk.

The government is probably making a gamble here that JC's Labour is going to carry on being a lapdog on this issue.

That there isn't going to be a deal of worth to vote on is obvious to anyone who's not slavishly believing everything the government's said.

Dougald

The vote would be to accept the deal. If parliament votes it down, it'd be up to the negotiators to decide whether to seek extension or walk.

The government is probably making a gamble here that JC's Labour is going to carry on being a lapdog on this issue.

That there isn't going to be a deal of worth to vote on is obvious to anyone who's not slavishly believing everything the government's said.

If the bookies were taking bets on that, it would be the easiest money I ever made.

If the bookies were taking bets on that, it would be the easiest money I ever made.

Labour is pretty easy to bet on right now - If there's a place you can bet that Labour get less than 150 seats at the next general election, I'd take that bet.

A vote on the final deal, if the government has already stated that no means WTO deals/a hard border in Ireland, is symbolic at best.

Poll shows support for Scottish independence rising: Herald Scotland | Reuters

Support for Scottish independence rose after the British Prime Minister came out in favor of the UK making a clean break with the European Union, a BMG survey for Herald Scotland showed.

The survey indicated 49 percent of Scots support independence with 51 percent opposing it, after "don't know" votes are removed, the newspaper said. (bit.ly/2kpldol)

A similar survey conducted last month showed roughly the same result as the 2014 Scottish independence referendum, with 45.5 percent in favor of independence and 54.5 percent against, the newspaper said.

(...)

Quite a shift in month's time.

Mr. Sam

"No deal is better than a bad deal" is a good line by May - and it's clever because it takes the pressure off her to get a good deal - but it's simply not true.

Zaph

"No deal is better than a bad deal" is a good line by May - and it's clever because it takes the pressure off her to get a good deal - but it's simply not true.

Yup. Plenty of ignorant Leave voters will take that to mean the status quo will remain in effect until we get a good deal.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
An increasing number of European orgs are talking more freely about Brexit now that the cogs are moving. There seems to be some kind of consensus in that Brexit is not a desirable outcome for certain industries but may have a positive impact for the EU:

Axel Eggert, the director general of the European Steel Association (EUROFER) told Euractiv Slovakia.

Brexit is another political event that will shake trade relations. The UK has been against tough measures on China. What impact will Brexit have on the Europe's position?

The UK has been a brake on more effective trade defence instruments. Brexit will make the legislative reform easier in the future. But we are talking two years from now. It may never take place. Brexit will probably facilitate modernisation of trade defence instruments in the EU.

Brexit is definitely not in our interest. We are against it. Having a smaller single market is not helpful. But the impact is likely to be greater for the UK's steel industry. More than 60% of the UK's exports head to the EU. They will also have more difficulties in importing steel from the continent.
Lots of talk about China, dumping and other issues at the link for those interested.

Rodelero

Yup. Plenty of ignorant Leave voters will take that to mean the status quo will remain in effect until we get a good deal.

Sadly, I don't think that's true.

They don't think the status quo is better than nothing.

Most Leave voters know exactly what Theresa May means. They entirely understand that 'no deal' means that we cut all ties from the European Union and that is what they want. They have been convinced, through decades of exaggeration, scape-goating, and lies, that the European Union is deeply harmful to the United Kingdom. They believe it is undemocratic, and massively bureaucratic. They believe that EU immigration has been massively harmful to our country. They believe that the EU is fundamentally anti-UK, that being part of the EU hasn't benefited the UK, and that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.

Hardcore Leave voters believe that the EU is the boogeyman. They will be delighted with a no deal approach, in principle, because they have no understanding of what we stand to lose. The Leave vote is characterised by a complete lack of nuance. There is no understanding of compromise, they are united in the most obvious "Grass is Greener" fallacy of all time.

Jezbollah

MPs have voted in favour of the Article 50 bill at it's final stage by 494 votes to 122, a majority of 372.

Shadow Business Secretary Clive Lewis has resigned from the Shadow Cabinet for voting against the Labour whip.

Zaph

I'm glad they had to put their names to this hideous act of self-sabotage. Neatly on record for the history books.

Juicy Bob

I have no reaction to this.

I'm just... sad. Just really, really sad. Like I've just lost the world cup final.

I'm ashamed of being British right now.

Jezbollah

A bit more information:

The non SNP MPs who voted against the act are as follows:

Heidi Alexander (Labour – Lewisham East)
Rushanara Ali (Labour – Bethnal Green and Bow)
Mr Graham Allen (Labour – Nottingham North)
Dr Rosena Allin-Khan (Labour – Tooting)
Luciana Berger (Labour – Liverpool, Wavertree)
Mr Ben Bradshaw (Labour – Exeter)
Kevin Brennan (Labour – Cardiff West)
Lyn Brown (Labour – West Ham)
Chris Bryant (Labour – Rhondda)
Ms Karen Buck (Labour – Westminster North)
Dawn Butler (Labour – Brent Central)
Ruth Cadbury (Labour – Brentford and Isleworth)
Ann Clwyd (Labour – Cynon Valley)
Ann Coffey (Labour – Stockport)
Neil Coyle (Labour – Bermondsey and Old Southwark)
Mary Creagh (Labour – Wakefield)
Stella Creasy (Labour – Walthamstow)
Geraint Davies (Labour – Swansea West)
Stephen Doughty (Labour – Cardiff South and Penarth)
Thangam Debbonaire (Labour – Bristol West)
Jim Dowd (Labour – Lewisham West and Penge)
Maria Eagle (Labour – Garston and Halewood)
Mrs Louise Ellman (Labour – Liverpool, Riverside)
Paul Farrelly (Labour – Newcastle-under-Lyme)
Vicky Foxcroft (Labour – Lewisham, Deptford)
Mike Gapes (Labour – Ilford South)
Kate Green (Labour – Stretford and Urmston)
Lilian Greenwood (Labour – Nottingham South)
Helen Hayes (Labour – Dulwich and West Norwood)
Meg Hillier (Labour – Hackney South and Shoreditch)
Dr Rupa Huq (Labour – Ealing Central and Acton)
Peter Kyle (Labour – Hove)
Mr David Lammy (Labour – Tottenham)
Clive Lewis (Labour – Norwich South)
Rachael Maskell (Labour – York Central)
Kerry McCarthy (Labour – Bristol East)
Alison McGovern (Labour – Wirral South)
Catherine McKinnell (Labour – Newcastle upon Tyne North)
Mrs Madeleine Moon (Labour – Bridgend)
Ian Murray (Labour – Edinburgh South)
Stephen Pound (Labour – Ealing North)
Mr Virendra Sharma (Labour – Ealing, Southall)
Tulip Siddiq (Labour – Hampstead and Kilburn)
Andy Slaughter (Labour – Hammersmith)
Jeff Smith (Labour – Manchester, Withington)
Owen Smith (Labour – Pontypridd)
Jo Stevens (Labour – Cardiff Central)
Stephen Timms (Labour – East Ham)
Catherine West (Labour – Hornsey and Wood Green)
Dr Alan Whitehead (Labour – Southampton, Test)
Daniel Zeichner (Labour – Cambridge)

Tom Brake (Liberal Democrat – Carshalton and Wallington)
Mr Alistair Carmichael (Liberal Democrat – Orkney and Shetland)
Mr Nick Clegg (Liberal Democrat – Sheffield, Hallam)
Tim Farron (Liberal Democrat – Westmorland and Lonsdale)
Sarah Olney (Liberal Democrat – Richmond Park)
Chi Onwurah (Labour – Newcastle upon Tyne Central)
John Pugh (Liberal Democrat – Southport)
Mr Mark Williams (Liberal Democrat – Ceredigion)

Mr Kenneth Clarke (Conservative – Rushcliffe)

Mark Durkan (Social Democratic & Labour Party – Foyle)
Dr Alasdair McDonnell (Social Democratic & Labour Party – Belfast South)
Ms Margaret Ritchie (Social Democratic & Labour Party – South Down)

Jonathan Edwards (Plaid Cymru – Carmarthen East and Dinefwr)
Liz Saville Roberts (Plaid Cymru – Dwyfor Meirionnydd)
Hywel Williams (Plaid Cymru – Arfon)

Lady Hermon (Independent – North Down)
Natalie McGarry (Independent – Glasgow East)
Michelle Thomson (Independent – Edinburgh West)

Caroline Lucas (Green Party – Brighton, Pavilion)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

StayDead

Brexit Secretary David Davis hailed the "historic vote", adding: "It is now time for everyone, whichever way they voted in the referendum, to unite to make a success of the important task at hand for our country."

I don't mean to be brash, but fuck you David Davis. I hate this man so much.

MPs just openly voted to ignore the rights of EU citizens already living here, including the high number that work in the NHS and keep it running and all the countless people I've met and become friendly with through work. Fuck each and every one of them. The quicker I can get away from this place the better. I am ashamed to be from this country. I am utterly appaled and ashamed.

p7A51a1.png

are you fucking kidding

in the sea

There's a rumour - I think it was in the Metro - that Corbyn's privately shared a resignation date with his close aides. Fingers crossed that's true.

Quite a lot of those Labour MPs who rebelled are in Lib Dem facing seats, if I'm not wrong. Cardiff Central, Cambridge, Stockport...

Shame that we'll have to kick out those that voted correctly - but kick them out we shall.

This is of course not over. Labour can stand up and propose amendments in the House of Lords, where they'll TOTALLY find their ba-phfahahahaha

It's 100% Labour's fault if this ends up not being sent back to the Commons with ammendments - the Tories do not have a majority in the HoL and the entire point of the second chamber is to improve on the laws passed by the first.

Labour have three line whipped in favour of not giving the EU migrants in this country any sort of security, and they've three line whipped in favour of not giving any of our expats any sort of security. Utterly pathetic.

Jackpot

Banned
So what will happen to those 52 Labour MPs who voted against? 'Cause it's either split your party or admit a 3 line whip is meaningless.

Jezbollah

So what will happen to those 52 Labour MPs who voted against? 'Cause it's either split your party or admit a 3 line whip is meaningless.

Well, Clive Lewis has already resigned. There are still members of the Shadow Cabinet who havent resigned or have been sacked - so if Corbyn is not that bothered about them then you can imagine he probably wont be bothered by the normal MPs. And of course there's Diane Abbott, who cried off sick in the first vote and was nowhere to be found tonight....

I suspect him supposedly being eurosceptic makes me feel like he's quite content with how the last few weeks have gone with regards to the Article 50 vote.

StayDead

Well, Clive Lewis has already resigned. There are still members of the Shadow Cabinet who havent resigned or have been sacked - so if Corbyn is not that bothered about them then you can imagine he probably wont be bothered by the normal MPs. And of course there's Diane Abbott, who cried off sick in the first vote and was nowhere to be found tonight....

I suspect him supposedly being eurosceptic makes me feel like he's quite content with how the last few weeks have gone with regards to the Article 50 vote.

Wait, Diane Abott was missing again today? What a coward. Support the people you supposidely care about :/

theaface

I can't even. I mean, Nicola Sturgeon response basically hit the nail on the head.

I cannot begin to fathom what 12th dimensional chess Corbyn thinks he's playing here. He's a disgrace and he bears the overwhelming responsibility for turning the Labour party into a laughing stock.

It's too late to matter anymore, but let's hope the rumours of a resignation date turn out to be true. I just want him gone.

Abbott voted in line with the whip today

No surprises there from Corbyn's loyal puppy. She's another one who can't f off soon enough.

Dougald

It's testament to Corbyns stunning leadership that Labour is an utter shambles, while the party which was heavily divided over the EU referendum just voted for Article 50 with only a single dissenting voice.

Uzzy

Diane Abbott was on Newsnight last night talking about how this wasn't a 'Tony Benn Brexit' but rather a 'Donald Trump Brexit'.

Which is certainly a line to take, had Labour not just voted to give May a blank cheque to do exactly what she wants.

Dougald

Corbyn is a loud, dissenting backbencher at heart. This gives him everything he ever wanted, a huge podium to rail against the cabinet, without having to actually make any of those pesky decisions or do anything of substance whatsoever.

Lagamorph

Comrade Corbyn has no reason to do anything, his life's work has already been achieved. He's not going to do anything at all that could potentially jeopardise or even delay the UK leaving the EU. He's wanted it far more than Farage for decades now.

TimmmV

It's testament to Corbyns stunning leadership that Labour is an utter shambles, while the party which was heavily divided over the EU referendum just voted for Article 50 with only a single dissenting voice.

Tories mastery of divide and rule never ceases to amaze me.

Hopefully this at least results in pro-EU conservative voters protest voting in marginal seats enough to significantly reduce the majority.

A particularly annoying thing is that Corbyn (and Labour in general) are so incompetent, that the above scenario is probably the best outcome that any moderate/left wing voter can hope for at the next GE. :(

Xun

Comrade Corbyn has no reason to do anything, his life's work has already been achieved. He's not going to do anything at all that could potentially jeopardise or even delay the UK leaving the EU. He's wanted it far more than Farage for decades now.
I can see why he wants to leave assuming he has similar thoughts to Tony Benn, but it's unfortunately an outdated mentality and I've lost a lot of respect for him.

Labour would really benefit from someone like Clive Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom