• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
CmMamm9XIAAJCLT.jpg:large

Lol

Boris doesn't want to take the risk of being known as the man who broke up two unions. He'll let someone else deal with the mess, then swoop in at a later date as the man with the plan. The plan "leave" is sorely lacking.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Of course Boris isn't running. He'll run in 2020 when the fallout has died down. He's been angling at Tory leadership for years, he doesn't want to blow it all by assuming it in the most turbulent political situation in a decade.

AzureSky

this whole campaign will go down in history books as the most ridiculous and well documented political charade the world ever witnessed.

And we are all here experiencing it first hand, aren't we the lucky ones, hu?

Maledict

Actually no, unfortunately. I've only caught the highlights on the beeb and bullet point here. However, that 'Eyes of London' poster someone else posted is a good indication of her general reputation.

That poster has nothing to do with her. The Mayor of London is responsible for the metropolitan police and tfl cctv.

That would be Boris Johnson.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Of course Boris isn't running. He'll run in 2020 when the fallout has died down. He's been angling at Tory leadership for years, he doesn't want to blow it all by assuming it in the most turbulent political situation in a decade.

he doesn't want to be the rebound date

Totally shocked by Boris news, I listened to his speech live and it seemed to be leading towards him announcing he would stand.

Much more worried now. The other candidates are much less liberal and multicultural in outlook.

Maledict

Totally shocked by Boris news, I listened to his speech live and it seemed to be leading towards him announcing he would stand.

Much more worried now. The other candidates are much less liberal and multicultural in outlook.

Read Boris Johnsons columns on homosexuality from the early 90s. Or his comments re Obama recently.

May is extremely authoritarian, but in terms of social policy she's the most liberal of all of them. Which is scary as fuck.

Meadows

Banned
I want May to win, just putting my bias out there, I think she's the best person for the job, and has the experience to get the UK the best possible deal.

oti

Banned
I want May to win, just putting my bias out there, I think she's the best person for the job, and has the experience to get the UK the best possible deal.

Without knowing much about her she seems like the most competent out of them. But the things I read make her seem kinda evil.

He's just waiting for the right time, he's not stupid. Pull out now, let the dope who gets in shit the bed and get kicked out, come back and save the day.

See also: Chuka Umunna.

danowat

Banned

Can you expand on that, apart from the snoopers charter, I don't know much about May, what makes her the best man for the job.

FWIW, I think the UK will get freedom of movement restricted in some way and it is the trade conditions that will suffer.

This is what I am most worried about. Johnson was never genuinely anti immigration, the remaining candidates are. Even though May was for remain in referendum she has always been anti immigration. I am really concerned about the shit trade deal we get if we stick to a restrictive immigration stance.

Yeah. As I said before. Her policies and attitude will hurt, but it's more like a painful gash that will heal with time and care.

Fox and gove are outright castration.

Xun

Who was London Mayor when that poster came out?
IIRC it was Livingstone, but I wouldn't put the blame on him.

New Labour were just as bad as the Tories with civil liberties, but with May at the helm of the Tories I feel things are going to get much worse.

iNvid02

Without knowing much about her she seems like the most competent out of them. But the things I read make her seem kinda evil.

her investigatory powers bill is enough for me to know that i dont want her in power. it should be gove, i want to see him returning to the UK public with a shit deal, it cant be easily disowned by leave supporters that way either

Morat

Banned
Yeah. As I said before. Her policies and attitude will hurt, but it's more like a painful gash that will heal with time and care.

Fox and gove are outright castration.

Her instincts are deeply authoritarian though, and her Snoopers bill is genuinely scary [and pretty much irreversible, agencies will not give up that sort of power once they have it]

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

People won't easily forget this 'abandonment'.

How utterly, terrifyingly sad for Britain, though. Boris was playing a political game with the country. I think it's obvious now that he wanted a sizeable Leave protest vote to serve future political purposes, but not an actual Leave win.

Boris should be a pariah ever more tbh.

Her instincts are deeply authoritarian though, and her Snoopers bill is genuinely scary [and pretty much irreversible, agencies will not give up that sort of power once they have it]

To be honest, RE: snoopers charter, I feel May just wants to legalise what governments have been doing for years.

Xun

She's everything I despised with New Labour rolled up into one person.

accel

This is what I am most worried about. Johnson was never genuinely anti immigration, the remaining candidates are. Even though May was for remain in referendum she has always been anti immigration. I am really concerned about the shit trade deal we get if we stick to a restrictive immigration stance.

Yes, it's worrying and troubling, but it all depends on the details. The most important thing is to stop the mess and start crafting deals / negotiating already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom