• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can't help thinking this will be on screenwipe in few years . With brooker snarling "Brexit " over and over

Laying into Cameron and Farage and Johnson.

Going on about possible financial apocalypse , the EU ,eton and lack of exit strategy . oncoming death of the U.K. Etc sending us all into despair . Really over playing it.

like the 2008 crisis

SomTervo

Psssh head of state.

Her country burns. But she doesn't intervene because it's not the etiquette or process. Just like it's not right to ask the public 'are you absolutely sure you want to blow your brains out' via a 2nd ref.

I weep.

Isn't she addressing 'Scotland' on Saturday or something?

Guys, my stocks and shares ISA is worth more than it ever was pre-referendum.

I'm pretty sure everything's going to be OK.

So's mine. Because it's valued in pounds and most of my stocks and shares are in USD, Euros or Yen - or in companies with large holdings in non-sterling (e.g. FTSE 100).
When those shares get converted back into the weak pound it makes it look like they're worth more, but they aren't.

It's a less extreme example of saying that my investments are doing well, because when I look at the price in Zimabwean dollars, the value keeps going up!

I see Heseltine is telling it like it is. I'm growing to like him and Ken Clark since they left government.

Labour still imploding. Corbyn: "We need labour party members, trade unionists and MPs to unite."
No you fucking don't, you need to appeal to a majority of the population. There's no point in party unity if you're just sitting around getting high on each others farts while Farage and May drink your milkshake.

May is going to eat everyone else alive. She is like Thatcher in her prime while everyone else is one of the vegetables from that Spitting Image joke.
I think the EU will tell her to get bent, but domestically, she is the only person that is going to get shit done and metaphorically give UKIP a good kicking.
Pity she's such a horrid authoritarian right-winger, but that's what happens when the opposition (inside and outside her party) is so utterly pathetic.

I can't help thinking this will be on screenwipe in few years . With brooker snarling "Brexit " over and over

Laying into Cameron and Farage and Johnson.

Going on about possible financial apocalypse , the EU ,eton and lack of exit strategy . oncoming death of the U.K. Etc sending us all into despair . Really over playing it.

like the 2008 crisis

Will there not be a 2016 Wipe at the end of this year? I know Brooker is doing Black Mirror, but I would hope he'd at least have time to do one.

It'll be ridiculous regardless.

Hang on a minute............................isn't Carney...............an IMMIGRANT?????

2vV0w8f.gif

I honestly wouldn't be wanting to bet on anything in politics at this stage now. Things have gone increasingly off the rails.

Interesting spreadsheet. Looks like Crabb is getting the votes I thought Fox might gain. The interesting thing is who Leadson and Fox's MP's side with once they are knocked out.

Also, if it is May and Crabb - who do the wider party want? At the end of the day the MP's are only choosing which 2 appear on the ballot paper.

May will win this, Tories need a steady hand, Crabb is too controversial with his attitude to the LGBT community.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Final on the UK's part, but it still needs ratification from the UE before everything is said and done.

Of course, there's no good reason for the EU to keep the UK in such a limbo, so I assume things will move in orderly fashion.

can the EU reject our resignation?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
British politicians making Italian and Spanish ones look germane. I never thought I'd see the day.

*revels in own shit*

*splashes everyone around*

I honestly don't. How can someone you haven't heard of her before making a statement reinforce the idea that an institution is faceless?

Oh come on, please, stop trying to use logic to make a point that I actually agree with you on.

We both know from a UKIP mentality this is someone inside the EU they haven't heard of before coming out and telling them what to do.

I don't necessarily agree, just pointing out that these comments by these people right now aren't actually helping anything and just stoking the anti-EU fire.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Guys, my stocks and shares ISA is worth more than it ever was pre-referendum.

I'm pretty sure everything's going to be OK.

got my statement recently (before this mess) and mine had dropped more than the value of the money I'd paid in over the last 12 months. Don't know what was going on there - I know long term view etc but it was a shock.

Might transfer it to a simple cash one

mclem

Psssh head of state.

Her country burns. But she doesn't intervene because it's not the etiquette or process. Just like it's not right to ask the public 'are you absolutely sure you want to blow your brains out' via a 2nd ref.

I weep.

On the other hand, I'd love to see the cognitive dissonance from the likes of the Sun and the Mail if their beloved Liz says "Nah, fuck that. You stay, or I end you".

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
can the EU reject our resignation?

I guess?

I mean, I don't know why they'd do that, specially after redoing the entire structure of the EU (and its corresponding income situation) to accomodate the departure of the UK and considering that the UK will have to do the same thing with its finances and laws.

At that point it's in the interest of everyone to shake hands and say goodbye.

/waits for Dascu to show up just in case

Oriel

Is Corbyn actually Anti Semetic himself or is he just so tolerant he might as well be?

No, though some of his supporters certainly are. Corbyn's appearances on violently anti-Semitic Iranian run PressTV certainly doesn't help matters. Not forgetting his sympathy for Hezbollah either, a terrorist group whose leader stated he's happy to see Jews come to Israel.....as it means Hezbollah doesn't have to travel far to kill them!

SomTervo

Also, as an England 'Remain' voter, I think it's disgusting if Scotland get dragged out of the EU with us. Because of some archaic sovereign link. We are trying to leave the EU for 'economic' reasons while maintaining a 'close relationship'. Scotland should be afforded the same courtesy in that instance. A whole country should not be made to suffer (when the electorate majority voted 'Remain'), because another country next to it has made a grave error of judgement (thanks to their referendum majority). Sturgeon has my respect and I hope she manages to barter a better deal for the Scots, and not get forced to wade through the shit with us.

*Scottish fist bump*

Yup, I've felt this about her. Thing is, it seems like hasn't been limited to just this, but most of her career. The expression, "nothing sticks", feels appropriate.

Yeah, and it's totally intentional. If she gets PM by October you can bet we'll see her true colours within five years and the UK/England will not be a pretty sight.

Legend

kmag

May saying that forced repatriation of EU immigrants is on the table for discussion.

Sam Coates TimesVerified account
‏@SamCoatesTimes
T May has thrown into the mix the right of EU migrants currently in UK to stay here. Says negotiation with EU will determine this.

On the other hand, I'd love to see the cognitive dissonance from the likes of the Sun and the Mail if their beloved Liz says "Nah, fuck that. You stay, or I end you".

I mean, technically she retains royal prerogative, but its a politically dicey manoeuvre to say the least.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
May saying that forced repatriation of EU immigrants is on the table for discussion.

As I said at a previous post, that's a terrible idea, on top of inhumanitarian as fuck.

There are more than 700 000 British expats in Spain alone, many of them UK pensioners. May is playing with fire.

heidern

The uncertainty hurts the UK more than it does the EU.

It blows my mind that people still seem to think the UK can and should be able to bully the EU. The EU are following procedure.

There's no bullying. It's just that EU are playing hardball and so will UK. Even if uncertainty will hurt UK more losing the financial sector might be even worse. And to be honest I think the uncertainty will be worse for EU since you have countries with weak economies like Greece and Italy which will really be hurting. If the Italian banks for example collapse that could trigger a serious crisis.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
There's no bullying. It's just that EU are playing hardball and so will UK. Even if uncertainty will hurt UK more losing the financial sector might be even worse. And to be honest I think the uncertainty will be worse for EU since you have countries with weak economies like Greece and Italy which will really be hurting. If the Italian banks for example collapse that could trigger a serious crisis.

At this point Italian banks are probably hasting away from the UK like the Enola Gay.

By the time Article 50 is invoked, most European banks and corporations should have implemented exit strategies.

CTLance

I just hope we're not gonna end up with a Treaty of Versailles kind of situation where the UK (or remainders thereof) get radicalised to the point of blowing their collective lids because the EU has sucked out the marrow from their bones. I mean, right now the EU can easily be vindictive - and even if they don't actively intend to hurt the UK, they will focus on benefits for the EU above all... plus, obviously, their own national interests.

Zaph

As I said at a previous post, that's a terrible idea, on top of inhumanitarian as fuck.

There are more than 700 000 British expats in Spain alone, many of them UK pensioners. May is playing with fire.
Seems to be taking a page out of the recently successful promise-everything-fix-it-later book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom