• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

giphy.gif

What's wrong with him?

getting genuine uncanny valley feels from this

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't like the idea, but if forced deportations were to start that is something I could not just stand by and watch... Especially since my girlfriend isn't British.

Me neither - but I would take to the streets in protest with you.

Not in my name.

At this stage, if a confirmation Referendum isnt taken or GE isn't called them as far as I'm concerned, then I'm leaving the country. I will never forgive the Government or the 52% for enabling this.

Hazzuh

The problem with May saying things like that from a political POV is that she seems like she wants to reach out to moderate voters / disaffected Labour. That explains her signalling that she at least wants austerity-lite. Repatriation is the kind of thing that would turn off those voters really hard.

Me neither - but I would take to the streets in protest with you.

Not in my name.

At this stage, if a confirmation Referendum t taken or GE isn't called them as far as I'm concerned, then I'm leaving the country. I will never forgive the Government or the 52% for enabling this.

To be honest, there would be utter chaos, millions of people would go on national strikes etc, would bring down the government very quickly, and Scotland would declare independence with the support of the US and other countries. So will not happen.

Really? I heard only Leave voters are going to riot if the thing is overturned. They're the people who want everyone to leave the country.

There will be elements but I get the feeling if they actually said "Straight up, we cannot afford to quit the EU" Farage would scoff and go back to chain smoking and drinking while being racist, people would riot but a lot of the people who Voted Leave publicly at least ...i don't mean to sound rude but hardly seem the rioting type.

SomTervo

As I said at a previous post, that's a terrible idea, on top of inhumanitarian as fuck.

There are more than 700 000 British expats in Spain alone, many of them UK pensioners. May is playing with fire.

If she did it it would literally alienate the majority of the public. Everyone knows an ex-pat. Everyone will hear about how fucking raging said ex-pat is when they're re-patted.

liquidtmd

Banned
To be honest, there would be utter chaos, millions of people would go on national strikes etc, would bring down the government very quickly, and Scotland would declare independence with the support of the US and other countries. So will not happen.

Indeed. Yet we have a prospective PM proposing it.

Here we are.

Pixieking

Banned
Really? I heard only Leave voters are going to riot if the thing is overturned. They're the people who want everyone to leave the country.

Leave (or a subsection of them, rather) are volatile, so people worry about them - the EDF/UKIP/racist types, and the people (even if they aren't racists) blaming immigrants for what the government has done ripping apart the schools and NHS. Remain are the ones who will just do an orderly queue system, writing to their MPs, until it goes just a bit too far. Then they'll riot.

PJV3

Terrible. Those people need reassurance right now, as do our expats in the EU. Poor form to use them as a bargaining chip (which is what I assume she's trying to do).

She's a very dry persona, she probably just stated it as one of the things that gets dealt with.

The site is banned but from an article about a 18yr old on benefits who wants to have a baby but not get a job;

"I don’t want to be cleaning buses – you know what I mean. It’s just taking the mick"

Those immigrants. Stealing all our jobs.

jem0208

Welp:

Cecilia Malmström (@MalmstromEU) is the EU Trade Commissioner in charge of EU Trade policy.

The article 50 period wouldn't be used to negotiate deals, just allow us to have the most orderly exit possible. Fortunately no PM would ever be stupid enough to actually invoke Article 50.
Why aren't more people talking about this, this seems huge...

Hazzuh

Don't think we'll ever know 100% why Gove knifed Johnson. Seems like one of those things political anoraks will have to argue about in the pub for years though.

pulsemyne

Ouch at Gove's interview on the BBC. He said
"I felt we needed someone to lead this country who believed heart and soul in leaving the European Union."

"I also believed we needed someone who would be able to build a team, lead and unite. I hoped that person would be Boris Johnson,"
But he added: "I came in the last few days reluctantly and firmly to the conclusion that while Boris has great attributes he was not capable of uniting that team and leading the party and the country in the way that I would have hoped."

In other words. Me, me, me, me, me. All he has ever been in this for was himself. No surprise there then. He played Boris.

Ouch at Gove's interview on the BBC. He said
"I felt we needed someone to lead this country who believed heart and soul in leaving the European Union."

"I also believed we needed someone who would be able to build a team, lead and unite. I hoped that person would be Boris Johnson,"
But he added: "I came in the last few days reluctantly and firmly to the conclusion that while Boris has great attributes he was not capable of uniting that team and leading the party and the country in the way that I would have hoped."

In other words. Me, me, me, me, me. All he has ever been in this for was himself. No surprise there then. He played Boris.

Thing is he has turned many tories against him, backstabbing is common in the Tory party but never results in anything but failure.

Don't think we'll ever know 100% why Gove knifed Johnson. Seems like one of those things political anoraks will have to argue about in the pub for years though.

Weeellll, for the sake of political anorak argument - did Gove knife Johnson? Or is this their planed get out of jail free card? After all, Gove isn't supposed to win a place on the ballot - is he?

oti

Banned
I think I need to take a break from this thread. The whole Brexit fiasco is consuming my life. I'm getting Grexit flashbacks over here. Can't even imagine what this feels like as a Brit. Bye and see ya soon.

pulsemyne

Here's a rather comical tweet from Kay fucking Burley

"Mr Gove previously told me on @SkyNews he would: write in his own blood on parchment that he doesn’t have leadership ambitions..."

Seems like even Goves blood is worthless.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I may wants to deport all ? EU people ? Right that's more business gone . Until I see a source or a context I don't believe this. Mods can you stop me seeing or posting in this thread for a while I'm getting paint attacks and ignoring my family fuck this just ban me I invoke article 50 .

Temp ban until Christmas peace out gaf

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it anti democratic? Here in the USA we don't let states simply leave the union. The U.K. Being able to do so with a simple vote is one of the most assinine things I have seen.

what on earth are you talking about? The UK is a sovereign state not part of the United States of Europe. Anyone can leave if they want to.

pigeon

Banned
giphy.gif

What's wrong with him?

I don't know what you mean. This is a totally normal way to clap that humans who are not lizards do all the time. I don't think this makes him look like a reptilian monster at all. I'm not sure why you would even suggest that he's a secret lizard person.

TrutaS

Guys this is getting me seriously anxious, and there isn't a single article about these May comments anywhere. Where the hell did you get this info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom