• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

As I said at a previous post, that's a terrible idea, on top of inhumanitarian as fuck.

There are more than 700 000 British expats in Spain alone, many of them UK pensioners. May is playing with fire.

o-EU-MIGRANTS-570.jpg

There's no bullying. It's just that EU are playing hardball and so will UK. Even if uncertainty will hurt UK more losing the financial sector might be even worse. And to be honest I think the uncertainty will be worse for EU since you have countries with weak economies like Greece and Italy which will really be hurting. If the Italian banks for example collapse that could trigger a serious crisis.
The UK doesn't even have a ball to play with.

sohois

As I said at a previous post, that's a terrible idea, on top of inhumanitarian as fuck.

There are more than 700 000 British expats in Spain alone, many of them UK pensioners. May is playing with fire.

Terrible, inhumanitarian ideas are the specialty of the demon May

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If May even suggests this to the EU, the EU is going to get a horrendous deal. There is no way that EU members would or should tolerate forced deportation of their citizens.

Meadows

Banned
On the one side we have the UK saying the most anti-EU position possible (repatriation etc), on the other side we have the EU saying the most anti-UK things possible (no negotiation for two years).

This is how bargaining works. It isn't nice. It isn't good. It isn't the way it should be. But this is how it works.

The real answer will lie in the middle. The UK is not going to send home the eastern European workers its care homes and factories rely on - leaving a gaping hole in our economy.

The EU isn't going to completely cut off all ties to the City of London that provides it the best access to global finance.

In reality it will be somewhere in the middle.

Calm down.

This isn't a real quote is it? :eek:

7f470db3010b0c7290b665bf4c77fba819a23a0d.jpg

It just reads too much like anti-democratic propoganda to be real to me.

Why is it anti democratic? Here in the USA we don't let states simply leave the union. The U.K. Being able to do so with a simple vote is one of the most assinine things I have seen.

Hazzuh

The forced repatriation thing is just red meat for the nutters who'll vote in the leadership election. She's probably worried about being outflanked from the right on free movement.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
May saying that forced repatriation of EU immigrants is on the table for discussion.

This is worth splitting out to a new thread. What would an appropriate title be, especially for people who aren't following this by the hour?

"Theresa May (favored next UK PM) considers deporting EU immigrants as part of Brexit"?

Is that an accurate representation?

AHA-Lambda

This is worth splitting out to a new thread. What would an appropriate title be, especially for people who aren't following this by the hour?

"Theresa May (favored next UK PM) considers deporting EU immigrants as part of Brexit"?

sounds about right as far as i understand the quote anyway

May saying that forced repatriation of EU immigrants is on the table for discussion.

Lol, that would be a diplomatic nightmare, not just with the EU but with the rest of the world. At this point I'm not even sure anymore, but surely they would not go through with this.

Technically shes right - as with everything in the debate, the status of citizens on both sides do need to be agrees in the EU discussions. Sure. But to come out and actually say this, in this way, during a leadership battle. God the scary thought is that could win her votes with the party faithful, sickening.

Corto

I would wait for confirmation first.

nickcv

I don't know if this one was posted already... but at least it managed to make me laugh... what are the latest updates? I've had a crazy day at work and didn't have the time to check the news yet.

XAFwLqY.png

If May pushes that repatriation, there will be riots on the streets the likes of which this country has not seen

The real danger is that now she's raised it there'll be riots either way as the worst impulses of EDL / BF will come out if she backs down. This is playing with fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom