• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, my stocks and shares ISA is worth more than it ever was pre-referendum.

I'm pretty sure everything's going to be OK.

BLvkHbg.gif

I'm actually posting this unironically lol

nOoblet16

imagine if Corbyn is still Labour leader and starts going after Blair for war crimes when the Chilcot Inquiry is published next week

this ride is just getting started!

He isn't stepping down, so wouldn't he still be the leader when it comes out next week?
Or does it mean that soon as someone challenges you are no longer the leader?

kmag

ugh

CmNUy1SWIAEqspe.jpg

i.e that's the Bank of England saying "you when we said before the referendum that a brexit was going to be bad, we were wrong. It's going to be worse,"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sure, I get that. But once article 50 is triggered it's supposed be final, no? That being the case surely it's in all parties best interest to start discussing what happens next as soon as possible rather than waiting to fall back on the worst possible option before opening up talks. Madness.

Final on the UK's part, but it still needs ratification from the UE before everything is said and done.

Of course, there's no good reason for the EU to keep the UK in such a limbo, so I assume things will move in orderly fashion.

Madchad

Final on the UK's part, but it still needs ratification from the UE before everything is said and done.

Of course, there's no good reason for the EU to keep the UK in such a limbo, so I assume things will move in orderly fashion.

7 years of tit for tat before getting passed ?

However if it isn't invoked the leverage is with the UK as they can wait it out. No article 50 means continuing uncertainty for the EU and having the UK with its veto bringing the EU project to a standstill.
The uncertainty hurts the UK more than it does the EU.

It blows my mind that people still seem to think the UK can and should be able to bully the EU. The EU are following procedure.

Oh god, I'm turning UKIP...

It feels like people nobody has heard of from deep within the EU machine are coming out of the woodwork to say something controversial just to get their name reported. Do these people not realise they are playing directly into the faceless bureaucrat image of the EU that nationalist parties like UKIP have been painting?

You want to say to this EU Trade Minister - "climb back in your box and well start negotiations with you when we're good and read". You start wanting to ask questions like - when is her term of office up?

And this is coming from someone that is ordinarily staunchly Pro-EU.
People coming out of the woodwork makes them seem faceless?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Friend had this to say :

"Brexit will be carefully managed i suspect, even maybe never happen. Calm down guys. Europe needz Britain too, or the whole thing may collapse. The Dutch, and French want out too. I understand the worry about losing free movement, but suspect a deal will be reached. The good thing is TTIP will be delayed or not happen"

He is clued up on politics . Not an expert thank goodness

Still glad I have a fixed mortgage for now. Annual travel card loan ticket and baby care vouchers in place and my wife's salary too.

Life insurance? Why? Are you German and she British?

She's half german, but cannot speak the language which is a requirement. Reason for considering is that I don't know what the future holds for us. I've got less than a fiver to last me the next 4 days until I get paid and this is basically how we live, albeit this month was worse than most, but we're not exactly generating savings. I don't think we're going to get through this financially. Our house is private rent too so that's going to be a much bigger risk than had we been in council housing, but without a child it's virtually impossible to get anywhere on that front where I live.

I'm just really scared about what comes next, especially for the disabled. I'm desperately trying to find some sort of backup plan for financial security for my GF and running out of ideas very rapidly. I know people are saying it will be a while, but if I just sit and wait it out then we're going to be caught off guard if and when the shit hits the fan for the disabled.

kmag

Friend had this to say :

"Brexit will be carefully managed i suspect, even maybe never happen. Calm down guys. Europe needz Britain too, or the whole thing may collapse. The Dutch, and French want out too. I understand the worry about losing free movement, but suspect a deal will be reached. The good thing is TTIP will be delayed or not happen"

He is clued up on politics . Not an expert thank goodness

Still glad I have a fixed mortgage for now. Annual travel card loan ticket and baby care vouchers in place and my wife's salary too.

Actually if you had a tracker, you'd probably be better off in the short term. Carney has pretty much just said he's going to have to cut interest rates before the end of summer.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
She's half german, but cannot speak the language which is a requirement. Reason for considering is that I don't know what the future holds for us. I've got less than a fiver to last me the next 4 days until I get paid and this is basically how we live. I don't think we're going to get through this financially. Our house is private rent too so that's going to be a much bigger risk than had we been in council housing, but without a child it's virtually impossible to get anywhere on that front where I live.

I'm just really scared about what comes next, especially for the disabled. I'm desperately trying to find some sort of backup plan for financial security for my GF and running out of ideas very rapidly. I know people are saying it will be a while, but if I just sit and wait it out then we're going to be caught off guard if and when the shit hits the fan for the disabled.

Maybe her German family can help get the ball rolling ?

I mean they can Find some help or someone to talk to

SomTervo

Beggars can't be choosers.
And after this week I wouldn't trust Westminster with a pea shooter.

I haven't trusted them since the '80s.

Hence trying to vote to escape them with the Scottish referendum and the utter despair when that failed

Fingers crossed for a second

AHA-Lambda

I honestly don't know who's least worst of May and Gove, I don't want either of them running anything. What a fucking mess.

Only thing I can say is I get the impression that May would be a better negotiator plus she was a remain supporter fwiw

but they're both horrible =/

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
7 years of tit for tat before getting passed ?

Per wikipedia

The Treaty of Lisbon introduced an exit clause for members who wish to withdraw from the Union. Under TEU Article 50, a Member State would notify the European Council of its intention to exit the Union and a withdrawal agreement would be negotiated between the Union and that State. The treaties of the European Union would cease to be applicable to that State from the date of the agreement or, failing that, within two years of the notification unless the Council, in agreement with the State, unanimously decides to extend this period. The two year period of time in which the terms of the withdrawal agreement are negotiated is known as the sunset period.[3] The agreement is concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council and must set out the arrangements for withdrawal, including a framework for the State's future relationship with the Union. The agreement is to be approved by the Council, acting by qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament. Should a former Member State seek to rejoin the European Union, it would be subject to the same conditions as any other applicant country.[4]
I believe those seven years are an estimation based on the difficulty of dealing with such a huge break up in just two years. The fun starts right after Article 50 is invoked. Once the sunset period has passed, the UK will have probably transitioned its economy towards a new formula that allows the country to work outside of the EU's boundaries, at which point the EU will ratify the break up and we'll all part ways, with the UK having to negotiate new agreements while trading under WTO rules.

Maybe her German family can help get the ball rolling ?

Lost contact practically. She emailed one of them a while ago to let them know how her father's doing and they don't even reply anymore. Her only German family in direct contact is her dad who's no longer capable of helping much with that sort of thing due to dementia.

The uncertainty hurts the UK more than it does the EU.

It blows my mind that people still seem to think the UK can and should be able to bully the EU. The EU are following procedure.

"Procedure" isn't the same for everyone. This has never happened before, and laws and regulations are interpreted differently all the time. The fact there are any question marks over what's going to happen at all demonstrate that.

Par Score

Wow, Carney laying the smack down on Leavers suggesting he was biased when he said Brexit would be in any way risky.

I honestly don't know who's least worst of May and Gove, I don't want either of them running anything. What a fucking mess.

May is by far the best of a bad bunch.

And I say that in the full knowledge of her authoritarianism, her history of anti-immigrant propaganda, her opposition to the ECHR, etc.

Gove and Fox in particular would be so much worse, they are corrupt beyond measure. Crabb is "just" a bit of a homophobe. Leadsome is a non-entity.

Mikeside

I doubt it'll do anything, but I'm going to go to the March for Europe this Saturday, if for nothing else, then to put my money where my mouth is and to be counted among the dissatisfied.

Anybody else joining for this?

SomTervo

I think it's more than there are a lot of people in "his circle" of politics who basically view capitalism as the enemy, ergo the US is the largest single negative actor in the world and most things can be designated good or bad by virtue of their closeness to the US and its aims. Because its existence is so a) beneficial to the US and b) reliant on the US, Israel's actions - all of them - are inherently negative. This is made all the easier by the fact that Israel does do a ton of rubbish stuff, but ignores the fact that it's one of or the most liberal, democratic and human-rights driven country in the Middle East. This tacit idea that "Israel's always on the wrong side" means that it's very much a safe space for people who, as well as having an anti-zionist, anti-Israeli viewpoint, are also anti-semitic. I've got no reason to think Corbyn is.

Well said.

I'm anti-freemarket-capitalism and not particularly pro-USA, but there's no way I'd label the USA or Israel as 100% negative. That's ideologue talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom