• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary when I watch QT and I realise that GAF hive is more savvy than the politicians.

How long before someone says 'Australian style points system'?

Joni

Yes the out process has never been clearly defined, this point was a raised a couple of times during the Greek mess two years ago, I think both sides of the channel will find long-held beliefs and certainties are less certain than had been supposed .

Greece had another problem. There was no out for the Eurozone, although a country could be kicked out..

The point is, these things are not 'accidentally' vague as you mentioned, it was done on purpose. Some people I've spoken to think it was an accident, which it clearly is not.

Indeed, it is a lot more dangerous in this manner when it concerns something that never lists detailled what the implication of all the other articles is.

It meant to be dissuasive, and this dimension has failed.

I don't think it has failed on that dimension. The people that have to call the article, seem very very reluctant to do so. They knew what it meant if they won.

Political equivalent of this:

tumblr_nq1vlqdc5m1rsbbt3o1_400.gif

Not so similar. That guy is great at what he does

Why do nationalists always have crooked faces?
That Labour woman is talking so much sense

Thank you, it's a mess and nobody has a clue what they're doing.
Yes but then she's stating the bleeding obvious in a loud voice to get some applause, like everyone who comes on QT.

Faddy

Banned
UKIP are actually the most honest party on this. They basically say we can still trade with Europe on WTO rules and that is better value and better for our economy than obeying the 4 Pillars of the Single Market.

The dishonesty is that the WTO does not have rules for services which is Britain's main export for Europe.

Joni

UKIP are actually the most honest party on this. They basically say we can still trade with Europe on WTO rules and that is better value and better for our economy than obeying the 4 Pillars of the Single Market.

Except it isn't. There is a reason why trade agreements are so popular. They wouldn't be if WTO was the superior choice.

I study Law, and to be fair the vast majority of legislation, legal documents and so forth are intentionally vague.

Take for example, one of the old but now repealed Dangerous Dogs Act actually stated nothing more than 'a dangerous dog'. It was vague and absolutely ridiculous. Its purpose was for legal enforcement to determine what was meant by that. That was extreme however, so thus was repealed.

The point is, these things are not 'accidentally' vague as you mentioned, it was done on purpose. Some people I've spoken to think it was an accident, which it clearly is not.

Vague doesn't matter, its Parliaments intention not the (actual) Act

iirc the Dangerous Dogs Act was amended not repealed

Last one (and I studied it and practiced) don't get tied up with this ideal world that Uni teaches you, the reality is vastly different

I've pretty much said this from the start, whether its a second referendum that presents a shit result or an early parliamentary rejection remains to be seen

We'll be fine, because we're Britain! Remember when we won two world wars? They don't call us Great Britain for nothing.

Edit: Yes, people being called bigots are dividing society, not the bigots themselves.

SuperSah

Banned

I know this dude is a top lawyer, but I do also hope he's right.

Vague doesn't matter, its Parliaments intention not the (actual) Act

iirc the Dangerous Dogs Act was amended not repealed

Last one (and I studied it and practiced) don't get tied up with this ideal world that Uni teaches you, the reality is vastly different

Cheers buddy, appreciated the fixes to that. :)

Faddy

Banned
The "We are a great trading nation" stuff really gets me. We were a really great trading nation who used those skills to get ourselves the best deal in Europe. Exemptions, rebates, opt-outs, vetoes. We got all those things then threw it away.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What do the conservatives get out of this? More freedom to fuck things up and pare back workers rights? All the candidates are seemingly happily behind leaving.

What do the conservatives get out of this? More freedom to fuck things up and pare back workers rights? All the candidates are seemingly happily behind leaving.

For now, they get to parade around how patriotic they are. It's a strong narrative that appeals to a particularly loud subset of society.

AHA-Lambda

less regulation for them to contend with, workers rights, civil rights, environmental etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom