• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Right, all this talk made me order some Irn-Bru to try it, because it seems surprisingly easy to get here in Germany. To the Scots!
Keep us informed, I want to know what you think. Love it personally, though I don't drink as much these days as I usually drink diet stuff and diet Irn Bru is just wrong.
I finally got the package (ordered online since it's not really sold in stores here) and tasted it. I'm not sure about comparisons in terms of taste, but I like it a lot! It's super sweet, so I probably won't drink too much in a day, but I enjoy the flavour. Not sure I'd agree with the "copper and lemon" comparison someone posted earlier. It kind of reminds me of sweets I used to get out of gumball machines, but I guess that comparison doesn't say much.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
About this Cecilia Malstrom thing:

That doesn't sound right to me, as Article 50(2) explicitly says:

... implying that there must be a framework for future relations with the EU prior to (or at least in parallel with) negotiations fro the terms of exit.

But there is definitely the implication that the "framework" for the relationship needs to be determined before or parallel to the exit negotiations.

I think there are several nuances here. Framework doesn't equal trade agreements, might be just "we will negotiate a new trade agreement once the exit process is finalized". Plus technically UK is still in EU until the deadline and thus under the interdiction to negotiate separate trade agreements. And there are so many legal matters to settle for the exit that negotiating a trade agreement without knowing the exact positions on the other matters seems really premature.

When you think about it strictly from a process point of view it does make sense what the trade commissioner said.

Crumpo

I know this is small in the grand scheme of things but I have a holiday in America planned for next January. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get money exchanged last Wednesday. Looking ahead things may only get worse but if I were to change now Sod's law says the pound will bounce right back.

This whole mess has me strongly considering emigrating (for once being northern Irish has something positive to it) but my savings that I would use to set myself up elsewhere are worth significantly less than they were just over a week ago. The uncertainty is one of the worst things about this.

January is a long way away; it really depends on what new information comes out before then. Unless the whole Brexit thing is scrapped economists only see the value of GBP going down.

Even if nothing significant happens it will probably slide a little more before the end of the year, particularly if the FED does raise their rates this year.

Think about how much you are taking, what the difference would be if 1 GBP=1 USD (new worst case scenario). Then decide your level of risk appetite as to how much USD (if any) you want to buy now.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

CmLirQXWkAAi0F_.jpg

#TakingBackControl

Lego Boss

I was referring to this earlier. Still a majority in favour of Corbyn staying on, at least for now, but more importantly if he were to go people have no sodding idea who his replacement should be.

Unless a miracle candidate appears from their ranks they are screwed at the next GE whoever their leader is, but doubly so now that they've tried so hard to shaft Corbyn without ever having a Plan B.

It's like a competition to see who can be the most incompetent politician.
Did I wake up in opposite world? Is that what this is?

No-one is blamless here. Every single one of our politicians are culpable in this political cataclysm and the irony is that Corbyn is the very worst of them.

He made a speech the other evening talking about hospitals, housing and education. These are noble and important issues and should be addressed. He talked for 30 minutes and did not once mention the referendum: the closest he came was to say that we live in 'interesting times'.

I'm suprised that he didn't ask the crowd where their sense of adventure was. He is hanging on, on the hubris of principle and he is ruining any effective opportunity for debate.

At least Camergone and BJ are aware that they are in flames and have bailed out of the aeroplane.

JC still can't feel that his brain has boiled and it is leaking out of his ears.

LewieP

For what it's worth, my hometown MP and former shadow minister Kate Green has said that she will respect the result. I've pressed her to say whether that means she would not block Article 50 at parliament, but no answer yet.

She's in a relatively safe labour seat in a constituency that voted in favour of remain by 57.7% to 42.3%.

hodgy100

What's the general climate in the media inside the UK (newspaper/tv)?

What are they selling/presenting to the general public?

1. EU finally defeated, UK on the rise
2. Worst mistake ever
3. Something different

the mail and sun: EU finally defeated, UK on the rise
everyone else: Worst mistake ever or somewhere between the two.

Who cares what Farage says? He's not even an MP. He has no power.

FYI I completely agree with the Telegraph. It's up to people and businesses to decide how many hours are worked. In fact, it already is, isn't it? We have an opt-out of the European Working Time Directive, non?

PJV3

FYI I completely agree with the Telegraph. It's up to people and businesses to decide how many hours are worked. In fact, it already is, isn't it? We have an opt-out of the European Working Time Directive, non?

You know what they mean, employers will decide and the staff can like it or piss off.

Stop playing games.

Well if the "people" had any say at all in how many hours they worked, you might have a point. That's not going to be the case though.

Depends on the newspaper.

I remember my teacher (politics) saying that, when he want's to know what the wider population is thinking at the moment, he grabs the latest BILD (german tabloid) out of a nearby trashcan and reads it.
That was more than 20 years ago, I didn't really understand it back then but now I think he was right for a very large part of the population.

You know what they mean, employers will decide and the staff can like it or piss off.

Stop playing games.

Yeah, I do know that's what they mean. A) It's already like that (I've had to opt out in every professional contract I've ever signed) and B) 'hours worked' is no different to any other facet of a job that's negotiable. Some people actually want and like working more if they want or like the extra money.

-----------

In other news...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...role-as-brexit-negotiator-in-eu-talks-that-w/

In an article that will inevitably be seen as an offer by Mr Blair to play a part in the negotiations, the former prime minister says: “There is going to be a negotiation of extraordinary complexity where there are a thousand devils in every detail... This needs serious statesmanship.”

Yessssssssss.

SuperSah

Banned
He's said this for years. He openly said it whilst campaigning for Leave.

It is sadly a rather popular notion.

'That candidate is black and has better qualifications than the white guy'.

'...but people will take more kindly to being interviewed by a white man so hired'.

PJV3

Yeah, I do know that's what they mean. A) It's already like that (I've had to opt out in every professional contract I've ever signed) and B) 'hours worked' is no different to any other facet of a job that's negotiable. Some people actually want and like working more if they want or like the extra money.

-----------

In other news...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...role-as-brexit-negotiator-in-eu-talks-that-w/

In an article that will inevitably be seen as an offer by Mr Blair to play a part in the negotiations, the former prime minister says: “There is going to be a negotiation of extraordinary complexity where there are a thousand devils in every detail... This needs serious statesmanship.”

Yessssssssss.

I have worked in places and not signed the waiver, just leave the law as it is.

Ratros

Groups of business representatives are being sent to U.S. and China respectively for trade deal negotiation... We are basically begging them for mercy, right?

Groups of business representatives are being sent to U.S. and China respectively for trade deal negotiation... We are basically begging them for mercy, right?

No, no, no. Don't be silly, we'll be going to tell them how great Britain is now it's free of the shackles of the EU.

/s

I wouldn't be surprised if they were sending reps to give out free blowjobs to any country who'd throw us a bone. :(

Dougald

Flogging and serfdom should return too.

We already have an opt-out for working time so the point about people deciding how long they want to work is utter bollocks.

Anyone who supports that should start working 80 hours a week on minimum wage and see how they like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom