• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzuh

Some council election results from today. Thought they were interesting just because there were some fairly big Lib Dem gains, hmm.

Leatherhead North (Mole Valley) result:
LDEM: 56.6% (+27.4)
CON: 22.3% (-11.7)
UKIP: 10.3% (-7.9)
LAB: 8.9% (-5.7)
GRN: 1.8% (-2.1)

High Town (Luton) result:
LAB: 39.7% (-13.4)
GRN: 21.5% (+3.8)
LDEM: 14.2% (+14.2)
CON: 11.1% (-18.1)
IND: 8.0% (+8.0)
UKIP: 5.4% (+5.4)

St Michael's (Bexley) result:
CON: 37.4% (+2.7)
LAB: 33.5% (+11.5)
UKIP: 18.2% (-14.7)
LDEM: 4.7% (+4.7)
BNP: 4.2% (-6.3)
GRN: 2.2% (+2.2)

Pandy

Poll of Labour party members

CmO1yK9WMAAI7AF.jpg

I was referring to this earlier. Still a majority in favour of Corbyn staying on, at least for now, but more importantly if he were to go people have no sodding idea who his replacement should be.

Unless a miracle candidate appears from their ranks they are screwed at the next GE whoever their leader is, but doubly so now that they've tried so hard to shaft Corbyn without ever having a Plan B.

It's like a competition to see who can be the most incompetent politician.
Did I wake up in opposite world? Is that what this is?

Maledict

Lib Dems are just going to keep their heads down and gain seats simply by process of elimination.

It takes *so* few seats for the lib dems to make the Tories lose their majority. Just 10 would do it, assuming labour can hold their own (hardly likely with Corbyn, but you never know).

Hazzuh

Lib Dems are just going to keep their heads down and gain seats simply by process of elimination.

Very possible. This referendum might really help them turn it around. The EU being brought back in to the public eye gives them an area in the political spectrum which they can occupy when no one else will.

Maledict

Lib Dems could really make inroads with Labour imploding, there are a lot of remainers with nowhere to go right now.

Both parties are fighting over 52% of the vote whilst ignoring the fact that a lot of that vote has never turned out before, whilst 48% of the vote which literally represents the next 40 years of politics sits on the side being ignored.

We have an odd habit in this country of calling tight victories mandates. It happened in 2015 when Cameron won the smallest of victories, and it's happening now with this result. I honestly think labour need to think long and hard about who they want to represent, realise that some votes are lost to them, and shift to co petting hard for that's 48%.

Some council election results from today. Thought they were interesting just because there were some fairly big Lib Dem gains, hmm.

What a bizarre turn of heal for those switching from UKIP to Lib Dem. Maybe the shock of what leaving means has hit them.

Hazzuh

Both parties are fighting over 52% of the vote whilst ignoring the fact that a lot of that vote has never turned out before, whilst 48% of the vote which literally represents the next 40 years of politics sits on the side being ignored.

We have an odd habit in this country of calling tight victories mandates. It happened in 2015 when Cameron won the smallest of victories, and it's happening now with this result. I honestly think labour need to think long and hard about who they want to represent, realise that some votes are lost to them, and shift to co petting hard for that's 48%.

A lot of Labour MPs represent constituencies that went 70%+ for Leave, it's difficult to say to them that they should cater to the Remain vote.

Good points.

Its the nature of FPTP systems to make small margins into seemingly overwhelming majorities in representation and that effects perception.

Showaddy

Lib Dems could really make inroads with Labour imploding, there are a lot of remainers with nowhere to go right now.

Imagine if they hadn't lied through their teeth and been absolutely annihilated serving as Cameron's human shield. They might actually be making strides towards being the UK's 2nd party rather than dragging themselves back into existence.

Volotaire

Poll of Labour party members

CmO1yK9WMAAI7AF.jpg

Dan Jarvis would be fantastic, for Labour, as a leadership runner. He has a unique background (non elite schooling contrary to most MPs and military expereince) as well as his speaking performance. He has a presence. Downsides would be lack of significant shadow cabinet expereince and his apparent dealings with some hedge fund managers, which could create bad publicity. He could move beyond New Labour to a new paradigm.

Alan is too old, Andy Burnham/Yvette are too much of a continuation and has now lost two leadership contests. Chukka is interesting but he may conform to the traditional Parliamentary 'elite' image. He also lacks a bit of charisma.

Angela would be interesting, but her PLP colleagues don't say too many kind things about her potential relative to her sister and peers. Owen Jones is missing too.

The others are never going to happen.

Zaph

Imagine if they hadn't lied through their teeth and been absolutely annihilated serving as Cameron's human shield. They might actually be making strides towards being the UK's 2nd party rather than dragging themselves back into existence.

They did as good a job as could be expected shielding the UK from Tory bullshit during their time. And while the tuition thing is a big black eye, we have entered into the next dimension of political lying, so that's starting to look tame in comparison.

People are dying for a good leader. If the libdems could find one, I think they could come back from irrelevance.

Volotaire

They did as good a job as could be expected shielding the UK from Tory bullshit during their time. And while the tuition thing is a big black eye, we have entered into the next dimension of political lying, so that's starting to look tame in comparison.

People are dying for a good leader. If the libdems could find one, I think they could come back from irrelevance.

They don't have enough MP's to find one haha.

They don't have enough MP's to find one haha.

There's a traditional solution for this: find one without a seat , have one of your MPs in a safe sear fall on their sword and parachute them in. I imagine the problem is the Lib Dems lack anything to entice a member to fall on their sword.

Maledict

The problem is the party doesn't attract talent in the same way the other parties do, simply because you enter it knowing you will never have power to accomplish what you believe in. It's been incredibly lucky to have top class politicians of the calibre of Ashdown and Charles Kennedy (and even in many ways Clegg), but they have never had a very deep bench to draw on.

Mind you, the Tory contest currently looks like a competition to see which pile of flaming shit can burn the longest, so their bench hasn't helped them either.

She did have one good point about immigration and the guy who complains about being undercut as a plumber and like Russel said, other jobs like that which is regulations and stuff I think would help like proper licenses, paper trails to make sure competition is fair and legit.

I'll chip in here as I'm an electrician, in the 13 years I've been qualified all that has come from the EU are pointless hurdles to try and stop me working, that all cost money to jump over and at the end of it all don't actually help me in any way whatsoever, nor do they achieve their goals for existing in the first place, hence why they keep bringing out something else, because they failed and don't realise why.

No amount of licenses or paper trails will stop me being undercut because I live in a house with my partner, while a lot of immigrants are happy to cram 10 people into a 4 bed caravan, or 15 into a 3 bedroom house. This isn't me assuming, I've actually become friends with some I've worked with and seen it with my own eyes, or been directly told. Since most work is price work rather than being paid by the hour, they can easily price themselves below even the minimum wage. And they will do it. It's legal because who is to say how long it'll take someone to do a certain task?

Competition will never be fair unless you drop your quality of living to levels we're not allowed to store livestock at.

And the shittiest bit of it all, many other countries qualifications aren't even as good as the British qualification, or not even to British regs, but they're totally valid over here. Worked with some guys on sites who don't even know how to wire a light socket and switch correctly.

Maiorum

UK politics is nothing but a game. It's all about vested interests and nothing else. I'm only 24 and already cynical as fuck.

Shit, I wasn't exactly a believer in the innate goodness of man, but looking over these recent events it's hard to understand just how callous these people can be, in regards to the fates and lives of millions, in pursuit of personal ambition.

PJV3

Shit, I wasn't exactly a believer in the innate goodness of man, but looking over these recent events it's hard to understand just how callous these people can be, in regards to the fates and lives of millions, in pursuit of personal ambition.

Born to rule.

Spladam

Apparently the Brexit referendum vote has inspired a secessionist movement uprising in Texas that is gaining some traction there, because to Texans, a Texas succession is the same thing as Brexit.

Not since the Dark Ages has humanity been so affected by such a density of stupidity in the world's population.

wrong thread

Absolutely.
Wrong reasons for voting to leave? This thread.
Wrong Labour leader? This thread.
Wrong prospective PM? This thread.
Wrong referendum response? This thread.
Wrong England manager? Not this thread but we'll accept it.

Anything that's wrong with the UK belongs in here.

Absolutely.
Wrong reasons for voting to leave? This thread.
Wrong Labour leader? This thread.
Wrong prospective PM? This thread.
Wrong referendum response? This thread.
Wrong England manager? Not this thread but we'll accept it.

Anything that's wrong with the UK belongs in here.

I have to ask out of morbid curiosity who the right prospective PM is , because as an outsider looking in, I wouldn't trust any of the current possibilities with scissors let alone a Sovereign State.

Tommy DJ

Your options are essentially a Christian Fundamentaist (Gove) or an authoritarian (May). The others basically need not apply.

This whole Brexit campaign is hilarious from a morbid point of view because no one with "sensible" reasons Leaving/Remaining seems to win anything. If you voted Leave on the basis of civil liberties/sovereignty, you've basically played yourself.

Acorn

Your options are essentially a Christian Fundamentaist (Gove) or an authoritarian (May). The others basically need not apply.

This whole Brexit campaign is hilarious from a morbid point of view because no one with "sensible" reasons Leaving/Remaining seems to win anything. If you voted Leave on the basis of civil liberties/sovereignty, you've basically played yourself.
Gove won't win shit. If he did the tories would quickly realise his pre brexit unpopularity had returned, he literally can't help himself coming across as a uptight prick.

Plus he's now stabbed two tory leading lights in the back in the space of two months.

Mr Git

I almost feel sorry for Conservative members. Having to choose between Gove and May is like choosing between incurable syphilis and slightly different incurable syphilis.

Yup. Finding out the 2 years is a straitjacket rather than an opportunity/headstart to start making trade deals, combined with the country essentially being a headless chicken for a good while before we even get there with some of the worst prospects as our leaders basically kneecaps the whole leave thing pretty drastically. It was never going to be super fun times or anything but it just seems too damaging now to be tenable.

If we want to leave there needs to be a good amount of time spent ironing out article 50 to make it usable before we activate it as it's almost a bit too effective at being discouraging right now :/
I'd also argue WTO rules for services probably need some looking at, (assuming there's anything that can be done about them that is) but that's a separate matter.

Regardless, any changes to make it work would probably take years :/

Ashes

Banned
Labour always had the bigger base. It's just they don't typically vote in such large numbers.
The only Labour candidate of any popularity is Khan. But he's not available for a good while.

Bonkers, even if you agree with Corbyn,the open massive split with the MPs means annihilation.

The problem is the people who voted him in don't care for the party at all, they voted for Jeremy and don't care that a leader without the support of his MPs is worthless.

I've seen ridiculous statements suggesting the most should resign because of not being on the side of the 250k who elected Corbyn. Like the 9. Something million votes labour MPs got arent worth anything.

Hasney

They're not really keeping their heads down, they're saying that they represent the 48% and that if they did get power, they'd ignore the referendum. That is resonating with a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom