• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGrant

Has the Leave people even any idea what the game plan is? Do the Leave Politicians even have a fucking game plan in place?

The answer seems to be "Not really, and the things we told you this would accomplish were total lies. Thanks for your support!"

I'm hoping the Government will take a look at the votes and NOT use Racism as a scapegoat here, for DECADES the Government has been too London focused with other areas of the UK, mainly the North, getting screwed over, and now after all this time, it's all those ignored and Non-London regions that have struct back.

With Cameron stepping down I REALLY hope the parties get together and actually change how they do the usual rat race, if this can lead to anything good it should be a Government that see's every area of Britain and not just London and thinking Birmingham is the furthest North point.

To set an example for people, this would be like if in America, your Government ONLY focused on New York and California and then we're shocked to find those other states they mainly ignored turned against them. Something had to be done, it's an issue the UK has had since the 1980s.

You know a lot of those areas receive a lot of EU funding right?

Lime

Viktor Orbán , aka the Last Dictator in Europe, applauded the result and attributed the result to the immigrants and refugees.

UK, you know you fucked up when this guy likes what you're doing.

Oh people are still peddling this bullshit.

Maybe you'll come round to educating yourself on the real issues a play instead of taking the easy route and blaming race issues in the UK.
maybe you could educate yourself on the real issues? Multiple news outlets have reported that the main factors for leave voters were "immigration" and "sovereignty", both of which were not a fucking issue unless you're racist, and that there was POSITIVE CORRELATION BETWEEN AREAS WHICH GOT EU FUNDING AND LEAVE VOTES. what possible reason that's not racist would those people have to leave?

Economic? Fuck themselves over?

I don't get why you would go out and vote for something you didn't think mattered anyway. If that's the case, why not just stay home instead of voting for something you may regret later? How is it funny?

It's crazy to me to make a decision like this with such a small majority. This will have such a large effect on the country it should at least take a vast majority, like 65% or 75%

Yup I concur. 48.1 vs 51.9% is too close for such a monumental decision. I vote for a re-vote! I bet not only will the turnout be significantly higher, but the outcome will also be different! I get the feeling there’s a lot of voter remorse out there right now

Hazzuh

People only really seemed to start discussing what a Leave vote actually meant in the immediate future after the polls closed.

Eh? What about all those rich Tory areas? What's their excuse? Pretty much everything was left to London to do for Remain. And we got out even with all the transport problems in the city.

Don't have any polling to support this but it's possible they are the post-maastricht eurosceptics that are genuinely just voting on sovereignty issues.

Some choice quotes from a Leave voter on FB (not my friend, thankfully):
On a potential Scottish referendum - 'Is that supposed to scare us? If they go it alone they will fold faster than a chink with a bit of paper'
On the NHS - 'if we stayed in the EU they would ruin our NHS and make us pay for our own treatments'
On the EU - 'they are planning on making a European army and in the early 30s that Austrian dick wanted the same and 70 million people paid the price.'
And 'there's no way I wanted to be a part of the United States of Europe'

* edited his original post for legibility

I am fucking speechless.

Quoting myself here.
The problem with a lot of Leave voters is that they just didn't have a damn clue what they were voting for.
I blame terrible education (that barely touches on political matters outside of higher education) and a desire to fuck with the establishment (whilst ironically fucking themselves).

Everyone needs to remember the FTSE is quoted in GBP before the hur dur it's only a small drop comments.

And everyone talking about it better know something because anyone watching the markets for at least 2 weeks knows exactly that this isn't as bad as some people think it is. For Christ sake if you don't know about a subject at least have the decency of not bringing up the subject, funny how the people that claim "higher education" all the time always have this completely wrong.

Liberty by definition is the ability to decide your own destiny. If having additional layers of external intervention in domestic affairs, while having limited influence on EU regulations and laws is what people think of as a liberating existence no wonder there is so much confusion.

Err what? Could you please not put words into my mouth?
Also 2 things here:
One: The EU's influence on domestic affairs was minimal at best. Yes, they have brought economic regulations, but most of those regulations or very similar ones were already in effect anyway. And then there's the social-politic regulations which are by far more on the liberal side. The EU stands for equality, anti-discrimination, and freedom of thought and expression.
Two: The UK had plenty of influence on these regulations. They just weren't the ONLY people who got to decide them. And to top it off, the UK didn't even have to adhere to many of those regulations anyway.

Also yes: Having the personal freedom to choose where I live and what education or career I pursue is liberty.
Having my personal liberties clipped left and right and, in the worst case scenario, having to finance a failing country with my own small income while the Farages and Borises and Camerons laugh and squeeze the last few pennies out of the economy for their own enrichment, in my opinion, not a very liberating existence.

ittoryu

The eu wanting to be vindictive to show other nations that life outside wouldn't be better and to basically blackmail member states to remain is even more reason to vote leave imo.
You voted out, why would you still have a say?
Essentially their argument is: "You voted out? OK, bye now"

Lime

Oh people are still peddling this bullshit.

Maybe you'll come round to educating yourself on the real issues a play instead of taking the easy route and blaming race issues in the UK.

It's not that simple. Large BME communities in London and Birmingham voted in favour of Brexit.

Yes paint everyone who voted leave as racists.

You're just as ignorant yourself

nAk3fya.jpg

Kak.efes

This has dramatic effects on millions of people and when the 'winners' arguments are based on lies, misinformation and bigotry it should damn well be called out on.

So you're saying seventeen million people are all dumb, and racist? Because they didn't agree with your point of view?

maybe you could educate yourself on the real issues? Multiple news outlets have reported that the main factors for leave voters were "immigration" and "sovereignty", both of which were not a fucking issue unless you're racist, and that there was POSITIVE CORRELATION BETWEEN AREAS WHICH GOT EU FUNDING AND LEAVE VOTES. what possible reason that's not racist would those people have to leave?

Maybe you should hear your own country men speaking before talking about them.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ers-brexit-stoke-on-trent-eu-referendum-video

mjontrix

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!

Less chance than me going on a date with Miranda Kerr.

The UKSF would put a stop to any attempt outside of official processes. You can't just call yourself an independent state within a nation.

That's Democracy - I and many, many others didn't want Tony Abbott to win the Australian Election and hold back the NBN and privatise Medibank, gut education funding etc. but that's Democracy.

Besides, the UK will survive regardless. Scotland won't leave either they financially can't survive without support since Oil is far too volatile to sustain themselves with. The EU isn't going to want to fund bsilouts every few years and the Scottish people definitely won't want Austerity measures like Greece.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is voting to leave the EU because you think it's bad for you and in the process causing a recession that might also affect the global economy more of a case of a self-fulfilling prophesy or cutting off your nose to spite your face? I'm trying to decide but I need some input.

Izuna

Banned
The worst part is that my feed still has people claiming that we are going to spend 350m on the NHS every week now.

When people realise basic stuff becomes more expensive for them, I really hope a sizable amount of leave voters call for a revote. It's the only way.

GHG

We've already been through this in this thread many times before, I'm not going to repeat myself. Especially not for someone who insists on using capital letters for EMPHASIS.

And yes, those in lower socioeconomic classes and communities are happy to fuck themselves over if the net result means fucking those more fortunate than themselves over as well in the process.

The fact that there is no plan is what makes this a screaming insanity. It wasn't enough to embrace populism and racism, they deliberately chose to throw away any opportunities that rise from Brexit.

The only logical conclusion is that the future of the UK did not in fact interest the Brexit campaign at all.

hohoXD123

Wanting to have full control over the UK's future without outside influence. Saying Fuck You to the elites after being ignored for years. Believing that the UK economy would stand more to gain by not making contributions to the EU while remaining ignorant of the EU contributions to their area. Or some other bullshit they believed which wasn't racist. People like Dennis Skinner voted for Leave ffs, you're as ignorant as the people who voted for Leave without thinking if you believe the only reason is racism.

Maledict

You aren't understanding.

I absolutely agree that the leave campaign was run on racism and xenophobia, playing to the worse in people. I think (and we have evidence) to show that pushed a lot of people to vote to leave.

But at the same time, you can't just say "brown people". Because the Afro-Caribbean community in Brixton isn't racist against brown people. Neither is the Asian community of Birmingham.

Feorax

Don't understand the "vote leave to stick two fingers up at Westminster" argument.

Voting leave basically gives the people you're supposed to be fucking over more power than they could have imagined in their wildest dreams. It means they have no checks and balances pretty much at all in terms of fucking people over to line their own pockets.

That's not even stupid voting, that's suicidal.

What conclusions should one come to?

I'm asking honestly, because everything I've seen so far just makes the Leave vote looks like the average Trump moron in the U.S., just with a lovelier accent.

Sarcasm.

Just look at the posts after me trying to deny it.

The point is the EU doesn't want to favor independence in Spain or elsewhere, and Spain doesn't want a referendum, so do you really think they will promote Scotland's independence? That would promote similar referendums everywhere. The EU doesn't want that kind of popular-driven initiatives. It is better for the EU to make sure Scotland never joins the EU so that anyone else understands that voting for independence risks making them leave the EU.

That's bullocks, Slovenia (got independence from Yugoslavia in 1991) and other countries wouldn't be part of the EU if that was the case.

Spain dosn't need to promote Scotland independence, neither does have the EU. But if Scotland DOES become independent is not a matter anymore for Spain or the EU, since they aren't a EU state member, they would need to go through the same process many other countries had to do in the past, countries that also became independent.

The problem was always what would happen if a declaration on independence happens on an EU state member. That's the problem for the EU, and that was the argument Spain is giving to these locations that wants independence.

"If you leave Spain, you are out of the EU, you'll have to start again if you want to become a full member of the EU"

That argument and that fear is out of the equation now, UK and by proxy, Scotland, are out of the EU, Scotland voting for independence won't put them out of the EU, they already are!. The argument sustains if in the future Scotland becomes part of the EU, because they would have done the process the EU said countries declaring indepence should have.

And let me tell you one thing, if EU wants they can easily make Spain vote YES to make Scotland part of the EU.

Rich!

Democracy:

"We fully support a democratic society...that is, until democracy doesn't go our way"

That's what I've seen a lot of today. sigh.

MGrant

So you're saying seventeen million people are all dumb, and racist? Because they didn't agree with your point of view?

And you're saying 17 million people in a country of 64 million can't be dumb and/or racist? Allow me to invite you to a place called the American South.

Acorn

I can't believe it either. I live in Scotland thankfully but I don't think I could even go to England now without feeling uncomfortable.

They've decided to blame foreigners for their current problems - who will they place the blame on next, when the EU is no longer a perceived issue?
The poor as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom