• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I don't live there no, but half of my family is Irish born.

No offence, but you likely have no idea of the realities of this then.

Wait we might get a reunited Ireland out of this? Holy Shit.

Incredibly unlikely. Even in the event of a referendum, you'd have to get the Republic to absorb the cost of Northern Ireland, which they can't afford at all, and the majority of the population of NI is in favour of remaining part of the UK.

FWIW I grew up in the Republic

Nicktendo86

to be honest,petty as it may be,EU has now all the reason to make UK's life a living hell..economically speaking

if your "independence" goes well and dandy,all the other nation's "let's leave EU" parties will gain a big boost and have their own referendum approved.

also,you can't really have a "cordial" deal,since that's reserved for nation that are members,that shares advantages AND duties
The eu wanting to be vindictive to show other nations that life outside wouldn't be better and to basically blackmail member states to remain is even more reason to vote leave imo.

A decent deal will be struck, too many big businesses both sides of the channel will lose too much otherwise.

I'm still so flabbergasted that Brits shot themselves in the head. Like, going against your own self-interest? I just don't get it. I can't get over it. It's completely senseless and damaging for everyone.

Half of the UK is completely detached from reality and will actively harm themselves.
I can't believe it either. I live in Scotland thankfully but I don't think I could even go to England now without feeling uncomfortable.

They've decided to blame foreigners for their current problems - who will they place the blame on next, when the EU is no longer a perceived issue?

Can't recall exactly but there are things in America voted on that unless they reach a certain majority are not carried forward, it seems wiser than this.
Well that's not the way they do things there.

And don't forget for us Americans that super-majority rule we have for certain things is a burden to the negative as well.

i.e. Under our current political situation The Constitution won't ever have another Amendment done to it because of the two-thirds majority rule no matter how badly the change may be needed.

Mr Git

tumblr_m0hfmzed4e1r0q4eho1_r1_500.gif

I'm with Tucker.

Bo-Locks

This is just as much a "fuck you" to London as it it to Brussels. The UK in its current form is one of the most centralised states that I can think of. All the power, media economic activity, government etc are based in London, and these people don't realise just how much the rest of the country has been left to rot for so long.

Last night when the first results were coming in from the North East of England and they showed much higher than expected margins and consistent leads for Leave, the look of the London broadcasters and the atmosphere in the studios turned noticeably thicker. Sort of like an anthropologist discovering that a long-forgotten primitive civilisation was now all of a sudden wielding a nuclear bomb.

It shouldn't even have been that surprising to the media, government or the markets. It was to be expected that rural communities voted to leave, but the complete and utter failure of Labour to connect with their heartlands following years of austerity and economic beatings being dished out to the poorest regions, and record levels of immigration, ensured that it was a home run for leave.

Corbyn supporters also have to take a lot of the blame here. Cameron is by far and away the architect of this, but the kind of anti-establishment movement that elected Corbyn in the first place has also lashed out in the direction of Leave, this time around. Also factor in that everybody knows Corbyn is unelectable and he doesn't connect with people in Labour heartlands or outside Islington, anyway. He clearly didn't even give a fuck about this decision.

Just break-up the UK and maybe create a semi-federalist state if possible. Create an English national Parliament in Manchester / Birmingham, devolve power outside of Westminster as much as reasonably possible and London can fuck off and become a defacto city state if it wants.

The warning signs with the Scottish referendum and annihilation of Labour have been there for all to see, but haven't been taken seriously.

Audioboxer

England didn't vote in a landslide. It was 46.4% Remain, 53.4% Leave. That's not a landslide.

(England's population is so much larger than everywhere else that it can't be a landslide in England and not a landslide for the UK vote as a whole).

In that they managed to paint the map blue. However yeah, by the numbers it's not a landslide. (if you were referring to me saying landslide on the last page)

MGrant

To set an example for people, this would be like if in America, your Government ONLY focused on New York and California and then we're shocked to find those other states they mainly ignored turned against them. Something had to be done, it's an issue the UK has had since the 1980s.

It's more like the other states decided to get back at DC, New York, and California by setting themselves on fire while flipping the bird.

The point is the EU doesn't want to favor independence in Spain or elsewhere, and Spain doesn't want a referendum, so do you really think they will promote Scotland's independence? That would promote similar referendums everywhere. The EU doesn't want that kind of popular-driven initiatives. It is better for the EU to make sure Scotland never joins the EU so that anyone else understands that voting for independence risks making them leave the EU.

That isn't going to work though. The EU as it stands clearly isn't insipiring popular support across many European nations. I think their stance on Scotland would be to be accommodating if we voted for independence.

No.
The point is that Liberty is dying because the UK has now given up many of its liberties. Not only the protection of the people by the EU, but also the right to have say in the regulations and laws of the EU.
And since so many people cheer for it, is why it's going down in "thunderous applause".

Liberty by definition is the ability to decide your own destiny. If having additional layers of external intervention in domestic affairs, while having limited influence on EU regulations and laws is what people think of as a liberating existence no wonder there is so much confusion.

Can't recall exactly but there are things in America voted on that unless they reach a certain majority are not carried forward, it seems wiser than this.
They didn't have to hold a referendum at all. Cameron made it a stupid campaign promise to get elected.

Blader

The eu wanting to be vindictive to show other nations that life outside wouldn't be better and to basically blackmail member states to remain is even more reason to vote leave imo.

A decent deal will be struck, too many big businesses both sides of the channel will lose too much otherwise.

The potential for serious economic disadvantages over leaving EU is a good reason to leave the EU? Huh?

ittoryu

"let's just respect everyone's opinions and move on"
This attitude is Bullshit, we aren't talking about your favourite film or what is the best topping for a pizza.

This has dramatic effects on millions of people and when the 'winners' arguments are based on lies, misinformation and bigotry it should damn well be called out on.

Agreed.

Ashes

Banned
it is all salt, it remain had won by the same amount we would not be hearing any of this, and Leave would be laughed off as lunatics if they asked for another referendum

You know the BoE just put up £250bn right? Central banks are working together to not cause a global collapse. The prime minister resigned. Major investment firms might be leaving London. City of London now has no influence in the biggest trading bloc in the world. Scotland is looking for Independence. Put tribalism aside, it's over. Do you not have any worries?

wachie

Completely ignorant person in regards to the UK here.

Why did the rural areas vote to leave, besides a big FUCK YOU? I mean wouldnt that mean they'd be fucking themselves as well in the process? What are the upsides of leaving?

Ash735

It's more like the other states decided to get back at DC, New York, and California by setting themselves on fire while flipping the bird.
If that's the last option, what else can be done? Should they just sit back and continue to be ignored for the status quo? For YEARS there have been attempts to try and let the Government know there's other areas of Britain but each time, nope, if crashing this plane with no survivors is the last resort, then something HAS gone majorly wrong when most people outside of London have to think that way.

Hazzuh

England didn't vote in a landslide. It was 46.4% Remain, 53.4% Leave. That's not a landslide.

(England's population is so much larger than everywhere else that it can't be a landslide in England and not a landslide for the UK vote as a whole).

London is a big reason it wasn't more onesided though, England minus London voted 57% to Leave. There is a big disconnect there as well, one that definitely is going to become more pronounced from now on IMO.

Why did the rural areas vote to leave, besides a big FUCK YOU? I mean wouldnt that mean they'd be fucking themselves as well in the process? What are the upsides of leaving?

They think immigration depresses wages and stretches public services. I know everyone is now going to say "that's the government's fault" but regardless, that is the perception.

This is just as much a "fuck you" to London as it it to Brussels. The UK in its current form is one of the most centralised states that I can think of. All the power, media economic activity, government etc are based in London, and these people don't realise just how much the rest of the country has been left to rot for so long.

Last night when the first results were coming in from the North East of England and they showed much higher than expected margins and consistent leads for Leave, the look of the London broadcasters and the atmosphere in the studios turned noticeably thicker. Sort of like an anthropologist discovering that a long-forgotten primitive civilisation was now all of a sudden wielding a nuclear bomb.

It shouldn't even have been that surprising to the media, government or the markets. It was to be expected that rural communities voted to leave, but the complete and utter failure of Labour to connect with their heartlands following years of austerity and economic beatings being dished out to the poorest regions, and record levels of immigration, ensured that it was a home run for leave.

Corbyn supporters also have to take a lot of the blame here. Cameron is by far and away the architect of this, but the kind of anti-establishment movement that elected Corbyn in the first place has also lashed out in the direction of Leave, this time around. Also factor in that everybody knows Corbyn is unelectable and he doesn't connect with people in Labour heartlands or outside Islington, anyway.

Completely agree with this. It's time for Corbyn to go.

JeTmAn81

Perhaps this type of thing should require a supermajority in the future. It seems too important to decide by the thinnest of margins.

'I really regret my vote now': The Brexit voters who wish they'd voted to remain

Some of the voters who backed Britain leaving the EU have revealed their regret over the choice after Leave triumphed in the referendum.

More than 17.4 million people across the UK voted Leave in the EU referendum, while 16.1 million voted to remain in the EU.

But many voters have since spoken out saying they are shocked at the poll's outcome and did not believe their Leave votes would actually count.

One voter, named only as Adam from Manchester, told the BBC: “I didn’t think that was going to happen.

“My vote – I didn’t think was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain.

Some of the voters who backed Britain leaving the EU have revealed their regret over the choice after Leave triumphed in the referendum.

“The David Cameron resignation has blown me away to be honest. I think the period of uncertainty we’re going to have for the next few months has been magnified, so I’m quite worried.”

Another voter, Mandy, said: “I was very disappointed about the result, even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and the reality did actually hit me.

“But if I had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay.”

Other voters have also posted on Twitter that they regretted their decision to vote in favour of leaving the EU.

One said: “I personally voted leave believing these lies and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote.”

Another posted: “Urm I think I kinda regret my vote, I had no real reason to pick what I did!!”

And one voter simply added: “I really regret my vote now.”

More at http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-who-wish-theyd-voted-to-remain-a3280361.html

Hasney

I'm hoping the Government will take a look at the votes and NOT use Racism as a scapegoat here, for DECADES the Government has been too London focused with other areas of the UK, mainly the North, getting screwed over, and now after all this time, it's all those ignored and Non-London regions that have struct back.

With Cameron stepping down I REALLY hope the parties get together and actually change how they do the usual rat race, if this can lead to anything good it should be a Government that see's every area of Britain and not just London and thinking Birmingham is the furthest North point.

Why would they? This is a win for the further right once again and using this as a protest vote to try and wake up the politicians is going to be shown as a huge mistake. I do think this country will recover eventually, but there's likely to be 5 years of cuts as long as the Tories or a party like UKIP keep making gains.

Sure, the next PM may pay more lip service to us northeners, but things are likely to get even worse.

Respect

Yeah...it really feels like a spoiled child holding their breathe/banging their head against a wall to get their way, just to prove a point sadly.

Majukun

not sure about that,but as things are now,we just need to wait and see

DNAbro

"let's just respect everyone's opinions and move on"
This attitude is Bullshit, we aren't talking about your favourite film or what is the best topping for a pizza.

This has dramatic effects on millions of people and when the 'winners' arguments are based on lies, misinformation and bigotry it should damn well be called out on.

Agreed. The idea that everyone's opinions should be respected is incredibly naive. When your "opinions" actually have an effect on the livelihood of millions of people there is no room for that BS.

To set an example for people, this would be like if in America, your Government ONLY focused on New York and California and then we're shocked to find those other states they mainly ignored turned against them. Something had to be done, it's an issue the UK has had since the 1980s.
This has long been the perception among red states in the US, particularly in the rural South.

ZenTzen

i know this referendum means they want out of EU, but, they are technically, still in the EU, also, with the petition for a new referendum, which already had over 100k votes, which means it'll have to be discussed in parliament, and some of the leave campaign bullet points being mostly bullshit propaganda, Scotland and NI obvious pro-EU and independence movement, is there really no way to avoid this result, remember that the leave campaign only won by a really small margin, and i feel a new referendum would definetly show things are a little bit different

Audioboxer

Protest voters crying about voting for leave and regretting it is just infuriating.

America please do not do this with Trump.

"Oh I voted Trump for a laugh... I didn't know it could mean I'd get him. I'm Sorry. I regret voting Trump."

Lime

Has the Leave people even any idea what the game plan is? Do the Leave Politicians even have a fucking game plan in place?

Blader

From what I gather, if you lived outside of London and other urban centers and already felt your livelihood has been fucked over for years, then what's the downside to fucking the whole country over with a leave vote? At best, you've upset the order and maybe might create an opportunity for reform somehow; at worst, you've just brought everyone else down to your level. Nothing more to lose.

Gattsu25

Banned
And how has the FTSE done today if you were to convert share prices to dollars, and compared that to their dollar value yesterday?
Some napkin math assuming that each stock on the FTSE is only worth 1 pound - so not actually that valuable

$9,434.164459 USD yesterday
$8,401.360704 USD now

So a drop of $1,032.803755 USD since yesterday

Carl

Everywhere apart from London was high though

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Watch this all have been mostly a symbolic gesture when the UK makes a deal with the EU similar to Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. They would still be beholden to Brussels with the free movement of immigrants remaining.

I'm still just lost. Not sure what to do with myself. I don't see how this happened like this.

I do hope it'll all work out alright. But I just don't know.

Ashes

Banned

Corbyn supporters also have to take a lot of the blame here. Cameron is by far and away the architect of this, but the kind of anti-establishment movement that elected Corbyn in the first place has also lashed out in the direction of Leave, this time around. Also factor in that everybody knows Corbyn is unelectable and he doesn't connect with people in Labour heartlands or outside Islington, anyway. He clearly didn't even give a fuck about this decision.

Just break-up the UK and maybe create a semi-federalist state if possible. Create an English national Parliament in Manchester / Birmingham, devolve power outside of Westminster as much as reasonably possible and London can fuck off and become a defacto city state if it wants.

The warning signs with the Scottish referendum and annihilation of Labour have been there for all to see, but haven't been taken seriously.

Eh? What about all those rich Tory areas? What's their excuse? Pretty much everything was left to London to do for Remain. And we got out even with all the transport problems in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom