• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've already been through this in this thread many times before, I'm not going to repeat myself. Especially not for someone who insists on using capital letters for EMPHASIS.

And yes, those in lower socioeconomic classes and communities are happy to fuck themselves over if the net result means fucking those more fortunate than themselves over as well in the process.
Because that always works? Does anyone really believe that the rich people are suddenly going to experience a ton of financial difficulty? They will continue being rich and it will punish those who are already lower income more.

Sabotage

1776movement-1466782808766_zpsdgz1yywu.jpg

T-Rex.

Banned
maybe you could educate yourself on the real issues? Multiple news outlets have reported that the main factors for leave voters were "immigration" and "sovereignty", both of which were not a fucking issue unless you're racist, and that there was POSITIVE CORRELATION BETWEEN AREAS WHICH GOT EU FUNDING AND LEAVE VOTES. what possible reason that's not racist would those people have to leave?

Economic? Fuck themselves over?
Yeah lol. "They've been neglected by the Govt".... right, so as a protest they decide to vote out of the EU and make themselves even worse off financially as those very cities get huge amounts of EU funding. Seems legit.

MrKaepora

I'm still so flabbergasted that Brits shot themselves in the head. Like, going against your own self-interest? I just don't get it. I can't get over it. It's completely senseless and damaging for everyone.

Half of the UK is completely detached from reality and will actively harm themselves.

There's nothing that can be done now, we'll just have to wait for the coming days and see how things play.

The EU can't let England procrastinate. Decisions must be made swiftly so that the economy doesn't go in to the gutter and countries like Portugal, Spain and Greece don't get the short stick of the deal.

If we (EU) are to wait that England gets a new government, things will get ugly.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ill be honest, I assumed the Jo Cox murder would have galvanized the remain campaign, I honestly thought that might swing it and make people turn towards the status quo.

Carl2291

You aren't understanding.

I absolutely agree that the leave campaign was run on racism and xenophobia, playing to the worse in people. I think (and we have evidence) to show that pushed a lot of people to vote to leave.

But at the same time, you can't just say "brown people". Because the Afro-Caribbean community in Brixton isn't racist against brown people. Neither is the Asian community of Birmingham.
Bolton. Bradford. Nottingham. Just to name a few more.

geordiemp

From Guardian

The Handelsblatt newspaper said a leaked eight-page emergency Brexit plan suggested the German government should push for an “associative status” for Britain after two years of “difficult divorce negotiations”.

Germany will want free trade with UK. Germany funds EU, this is what will happen imo.

However, we will get lots of scare mongering in the meantime.

Chill out every one.

Democracy:

"We fully support a democratic society...that is, until democracy doesn't go our way"

That's what I've seen a lot of today. sigh.
"We fully support a democratic society...that is, until people base their vote on absolutely unrelated issues and nothing is done about the people lying about the facts."

Hazzuh

Also:
l8c7cYth.jpg

But it's TOTALLY not racist.

Literally what other reason do people have to shoot themselves in the foot?

This has been explained plenty of times throughout this thread.

I think posters claiming "everyone that disagrees with me is an ignorant moron" are missing the point on why this happened, though.

If you look at where the votes went, it's clearly not along party lines. This isn't a right vs left thing, or a north vs south thing. It's almost entirely an inner-city vs everyone else thing. Almost all of the events in the political make up of the UK since the recession can be seen through a lens of people outside of cities feeling like they've been left behind, ignored, not been appreciated and aren't represented by their leaders. Unless someone genuinely feels like the people of Scotland have some magic fairy dust that they put in the water that makes everyone there lovely and liberal despite having basically the same financial situation as the rest of the country, it's clear to me that the SNP have managed to fill a gap left by Labour wherein the people of Scotland do feel like their have politicians who understand them and represent them and know what it's like to be them. The SNP were then rewarded for this at the ballot box and the people of Scotland don't wish to rock the boat by voting out of the EU.

Those people in the rural communities in England and Wales that feel like they've been ignored do want to rock the boat. For some it's seen as about immigration and for others jobs and for others waiting times at hospitals or wage suppression or sovereignty or whatever other reason, but it fundamentally comes down to people being fed up of their voice not being heard and wanted to do something to make it get heard and bring about change, because they're fed up with a distant elite that doesn't understand what is important to them. So to people surprised at why this results come in (and it's surprised me, but to read this thread you'd think there'd be scarcely more than a handful of people that'd vote to leave), I think that's why. Dismissing all these people as idiots or ignorant or stupid or lied to by the press despite every major party's machine working towards a remain vote and half the media (including some of Mordoch's papers, by the way, so don't give me that shit) is missing the point entirely. This is a representative democracy and these people feel like they aren't represented. Quelle surprise.

All this talk of xenophobia is hilarious.

Government has actively ignored everywhere outside of London for 2 generations and you're all surprised when the communities hit hardest by mass immigration bite back and vote out.

Labour and the Tories have ignored the calls from your working class Brit to get a grasp on things and they've been ignored. Towns have been gutted, families have been hit hard by low wages, communities have been decimated by different cultures that don't try to integrate, the NHS and schooling have been hit hard by increased demand (and bad policy), affordable homes can't be built to compensate for the massive growth. People have genuine problems and they've been failed by both Labour and the Tories.

Get out and actually talk to the people who vote. Talk to the people who have genuine concerns and complaints. When you simply shrug concerns off as xenophobic or bigoted (see Gordon Brown's classic blunder with the old woman) then you're actively shunning away real people with real concerns.

Look at what problems this 52% has and actually try to help them, don't just attack them. This notion from the far left that anyone who voted leave is either racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic or straight up an idiot has to stop because you're only going to add fuel to the fire.

Maybe you think that this wasn't the right response to being ignored by Westminster for 30 years but it's what happened.

SomTervo

Can't blame her to be honest, everyone is really down in work today, my wife who works for the NHS says the same, really down a depressed mood. One of the girls here was really passionate about it and has totally kicked off today. A few of the out voters have also said they didn't expect it to kick off so much or to have had such a dramatic effect, I'm really not sure what the remain side have been doing for the last few months.

IDK man, I don't think it's so much about what Remain didn't do as what Leave did

Democracy:

"We fully support a democratic society...that is, until democracy doesn't go our way"

I support a democratic society.

I don't support a direct democracy where a choice between "change nothing" and "change everything" can be decided by a single vote.

Making huge decisions that literally change the course of history like that is fucking insane.

This doesn't only effect UK.

This will have worldwide ripple effects. You are talking about the 3rd or 4th largest economy tanking.

Proof is my 41k statement as of this morning.

Carl2291

Yeah, fuck the largest single area in the UK that basically funds the rest of England. Fuck them!
This vote should show you just how out of touch London is with the rest of the country.

It's about time politicians actually listened to the concerns of people outside the capital. This is people power and democracy at work in front of our very eyes and it's fantastic.

kiguel182

Where is the other graph where shows that people who voted to leave were against multiculturalism?

I mean, there's data showing there's some correlation between people who wanted to leave and anti-emigration and foreigners.

Lime

Don't jump to conclusions.

Being against immigration isn't the same as being racist.

So you agree with that guy that being concerned about immigration means you don't like brown people?

You know who is applauding what you've done? Donald Trump. Marie Le Pen. Gert Wilders. Viktor Orban. Far-right nationalist parties. Get a grasp about what company your political choices are keeping.

Also this (if we assume the 12k interviewees are correct)

You aren't understanding.

I absolutely agree that the leave campaign was run on racism and xenophobia, playing to the worse in people. I think (and we have evidence) to show that pushed a lot of people to vote to leave.

But at the same time, you can't just say "brown people". Because the Afro-Caribbean community in Brixton isn't racist against brown people. Neither is the Asian community of Birmingham.

I know Maledict and I agree with you, but people that I quoted need to recognize the undercurrents of xenophobia and racism. This is the primary driver in these things.

Look, it's distasteful to call people racist because you're not taking their hate of the white Polish into account.

Xenophobic or whatever you want to call discrimination against Eastern-Europeans

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Agreed. The idea that everyone's opinions should be respected is incredibly naive. When your "opinions" actually have an effect on the livelihood of millions of people there is no room for that BS.

If everyone takes that view and dismisses the opinions of everyone who doesn't share their politics... where exactly does that get us?

That's not progression, that's just people sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming slogans at each other!

FeD.nL

Democracy:

Well that's also the initial shock talking.

However I think people should vote for leaders that make decisions in a democracy. Not vote for matters like this. It's insanity whatever the outcome would have been.

Condom

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!

Less chance than me going on a date with Miranda Kerr.

The UKSF would put a stop to any attempt outside of official processes. You can't just call yourself an independent state within a nation.

That's Democracy - I and many, many others didn't want Tony Abbott to win the Australian Election and hold back the NBN and privatise Medibank, gut education funding etc. but that's Democracy.

Besides, the UK will survive regardless. Scotland won't leave either they financially can't survive without support since Oil is far too volatile to sustain themselves with. The EU isn't going to want to fund bsilouts every few years and the Scottish people definitely won't want Austerity measures like Greece.

LOL

Scotland will be free at the end of the year or soon thereafter, mark my words.

SomTervo

This has been explained plenty of times throughout this thread.

Maybe you think that this wasn't the right response to being ignored by Westminster for 30 years but it's what happened.

But lines like "Government has actively ignored everywhere outside of London for 2 generations and you're all surprised when the communities hit hardest by mass immigration bite back and vote out" are complete bullshit?

The communities who voted Leave the most were the LEAST 'hit' by 'mass immigration'?

American here and my Roth IRA is down $1000 despite being well diversified. Thanks a lot!

Yea I love how some people in this thread are like "Jeez guys quit being so negative, its just a silly vote... the UK is still here"

Meanwhile the global economy is in flames

It is literally this:

c4jt321.png

Democracy:

Sorry, but I totally support UK democratic rights to make one of the most moronic decisions in recent history, even if it's in the name of bigotry, xenophobia and racism.

Paradicia

Never happening. Ireland doesn't want NI - it literally can't afford it. Hell, paying for NI is more than the UKs EU contribution before the rebate.

This time next year when we see the post-apocalyptic wasteland that will be the North. Then we'll have it.

Jito

Banned
The data does seem to show things like immigration and nationalism as primary factors. Is xenophobia much better?

Just because immigration is a main focus for a lot of people doesn't mean they are racists or xenophobic either. What is inherently wrong with wanting greater control of your own borders?

Again, what does this have to do with racism? Wanting less immigration does not make you a racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom