• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

When your democratic decisions are based on false facts and well, hate of people with a culture different from yours I say democracy has failed and is doing more harm than good.

In some aspects the "public" doesn't know better.

GHG

Because that always works? Does anyone really believe that the rich people are suddenly going to experience a ton of financial difficulty? They will continue being rich and it will punish those who are already lower income more.

It's more about proving that they have a voice and that they do exist. It will feel like a victory to them, even if it's a hollow one that will ultimately make them worse off.

Never underestimate whole communities of people with nothing to lose.

optimiss

The will of the voting majority of people is going to be honoured. Democracy won, like it or not.

No, Democracy failed to produce a positive result, again. Democracy works under the assumption that the voting populace is making an informed decision. The fact is that the majority of people are not informed and will vote with their gut. Therefore Democracy as a system of government is flawed. We can do better.

Izuna

Banned
The will of the voting majority of people is going to be honoured. Democracy won, like it or not.

On very clear false pretences

l1Nlu4q.png

my facebook feed is depressing -- but i don't HOPE it all goes to shit. Don't get me wrong, if leave was a supposed to be a good idea, I hope it is.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
LOL

Scotland will be free at the end of the year or soon thereafter, mark my words.

I dont think it will be anywhere near this quick, nor would any government who wants Scotland to stay make it a priority, will be a few years yet.

I apologize if this is not the place for this or if it has already been discussed but...

As an American who is going to the UK next week, what does this mean to us as a traveler? Will we notice any difference?

zeroOman

Democracy:

"We fully support a democratic society...that is, until democracy doesn't go our way"

That's what I've seen a lot of today. sigh.

But lying to the ppl with made up propaganda, to make the ppl vote for u.... this isn't democracy this is deushitingme

Then why even bother voting at all?

If remain won, how would they be reacting? Go on, answer that one.
So if the vote would have gone against Leave, the UKIP would have dissolved and Farage would have quit?

Just because you lost the vote, doesn't mean you have to personally accept that. That would be crazy.

El Topo

Germany will want free trade with UK. Germany funds EU, this is what will happen imo.

However, we will get lots of scare mongering in the meantime.

Chill out every one.

If they do that without significant concessions by the UK, CDU and SPD might be utterly fucked. They're already under a lot of political pressure and their political future is far from certain right now.

Hazzuh

You know who is applauding what you've done? Donald Trump. Marie Le Pen. Gert Wilders. Viktor Orban. Far-right nationalist parties. Get a grasp about what company your political choices are keeping.

I'm not in favour of Leave, I voted for Remain. I just think Remain smugly telling Leave voters that they need to stop being so racist isn't a productive way to actually build a better society.

Joni

This has been explained plenty of times throughout this thread.

Maybe you think that this wasn't the right response to being ignored by Westminster for 30 years but it's what happened.

Westminster has ignored us for 30 years. Let's take all the power away from the people that aren't ignoring us to support Westminster.

"We fully support a democratic society...that is, until people base their vote on absolutely unrelated issues and nothing is done about the people lying about the facts."

No, this is you and a lot more having a problem with the reasoning of people that decided theat Leave was a better option for the country that remain with the EU. And all of you have made your point clear of how this people are racist bigots xenomorphs white old people that don't have any education and are poor and that they shouldn't be able to vote or have their voice being represented in how their own country should be represented.

Call things what they are, you guys are elitist aristocrats and can't care less for democracy if it means the majority supports something you don't believe in.

Just because immigration is a main focus for a lot of people doesn't mean they are racists or xenophobic either. What is inherently wrong with wanting greater control of your own borders?

Again, what does this have to do with racism? Wanting less immigration does not make you a racist.

Looooooooooooooool.
No of course not. /s

Audioboxer

l1Nlu4q.png

my facebook feed is depressing -- but i don't HOPE it all goes to shit. Don't get me wrong, if leave was a supposed to be a good idea, I hope it is.

Facebook is ALWAYS a mistake for anything political.

It's basically just the forward emails of the years gone by that say "forward this or someone will die from Cancer". No "family member x" please stop forwarding these chain emails to me, they are trash.

From Guardian

Germany will want free trade with UK. Germany funds EU, this is what will happen imo.

However, we will get lots of scare mongering in the meantime.

Chill out every one.

Of course Germany, and other EU nations, will want trade with the UK. And it's very unlikely that the UK will die off. But there's still going to be a fallout.
- The UK will not have any input into the EU-imposed regulations any longer, and they will have adhere to all of them, otherwise there won't be trade with the EU (see: Switzerland)
- The UK has lost its strength as an international and European financial center. Many banks will move into an EU country solely so they have access to the EU money flow - if they remain in the UK, that flow will be heavily regulated.
- The UK also has lost its strength in worldwide economy. The EU united packs a very, very powerful punch in the international market. Now that the UK is no longer part of it, it no longer benefits from that "reputational" support, and will have to entirely rely on its own economy in order to hammer out trade agreements with other nations.

Hazzuh

Westminster has ignored us for 30 years. Let's take all the power away from the people that aren't ignoring us to support Westminster.

"Maybe you think that this wasn't the right response to being ignored by Westminster for 30 years but it's what happened."

oti

Banned
Irresponsible. Simply irresponsible and childish.

This is an unprecedented event, it has never happened before. What will follow is a completely new experience NOBODY expected would occur. In the next couple of years both parties will have to cut the UK off of decades old threads that are intertwined with the EU. It will be a long process, the opportunity costs will be immense and the result uncertain.

There's really only one thing left to say to the UK: Good luck.

Rich!

Look up the California proposition system and how much garbage it has led to and you'll see why.

I don't need to, really.

Leave won. That's it. People can piss and moan about it all they want, I'm disappointed personally, but it's happening. Us in the remain camp were too complacent. Look how many examples of the following we saw over the past week and throughout last night: "oh, I don't need to vote, we're obviously gonna win", "oh, don't worry London will save us", "bunch of racists, they'll never win"

The writing has been on the wall for years now and everyone has just carried on with their heads in the sand. This is the result.

StayDead

I'm hoping the Government will take a look at the votes and NOT use Racism as a scapegoat here, for DECADES the Government has been too London focused with other areas of the UK, mainly the North, getting screwed over, and now after all this time, it's all those ignored and Non-London regions that have struct back.

With Cameron stepping down I REALLY hope the parties get together and actually change how they do the usual rat race, if this can lead to anything good it should be a Government that see's every area of Britain and not just London and thinking Birmingham is the furthest North point.

To set an example for people, this would be like if in America, your Government ONLY focused on New York and California and then we're shocked to find those other states they mainly ignored turned against them. Something had to be done, it's an issue the UK has had since the 1980s.

Good luck with that. They'll need to focus even more on London now as it's the only city that even has a small chance actually staying relevant in the world as a centre of culture. Especially with a lot of jobs leaving the city.

kiguel182

I love all the data that's coming out in how the EU supported the UK and several industries (like movies).

I mean the EU isn't perfect (as I've said many times) but it's not a dictatorship. Especially for the UK.

ATF487

Completely ignorant person in regards to the UK here.

Why did the rural areas vote to leave, besides a big FUCK YOU? I mean wouldnt that mean they'd be fucking themselves as well in the process? What are the upsides of leaving?

I think the Leave campaign did a good job of tapping into people's anger, and also deciding not to mention that a lot of the reason for people's anger actually has to do with tory policies. The EU referendum turned into some abstract idea about whether or not the status quo is good, rather than debating the merits of being a part of the union itself.

It's maddening

I apologize if this is not the place for this or if it has already been discussed but...

As an American who is going to the UK next week, what does this mean to us as a traveler? Will we notice any difference?

If you haven't changed your currency yet, everything just got cheaper!

geordiemp

l1Nlu4q.png

Well, if the premise of the EU is for countries like UK to pump money into an undemocratic system then of course you will get people pushing back.

Eu needs to reform, and it probably will.

The Handelsblatt newspaper said a leaked eight-page emergency Brexit plan suggested the German government should push for an “associative status” for Britain after two years of “difficult divorce negotiations”.

I am sure Germany / France and Uk will work it out (would not be surprised if they have already prepared for this). Looks like it.

Fun coincidence : for the last few hours, all high speed trains in Northern France are delayed because of a Eurostar stuck on tracks. This includes Thalys trains to Belgium and Netherlands. Obviously, this also delays other Eurostars.

Viktor Orbán , aka the Last Dictator in Europe, applauded the result and attributed the result to the immigrants and refugees.

UK, you know you fucked up when this guy likes what you're doing.
It's entirely unsurprising that every far right party is applauding, they're all eurosceptics.
But yeah, that the most pleased people are all of Europe's xenophobes, Putin or Trump should give pause to anyone who disagrees with them but voted leave.

Just because immigration is a main focus for a lot of people doesn't mean they are racists or xenophobic either. What is inherently wrong with wanting greater control of your own borders?

Again, what does this have to do with racism? Wanting less immigration does not make you a racist.

That's literally the definition. They are scared, fearful and concerned about foreigners

Izuna

Banned
Facebook is ALWAYS a mistake for anything political.

It's basically just the forward emails of the years gone by that say "forward this or someone will die from Cancer".

These are your average joe (jane?) voters that caused us to leave. I wonder how much BS that was on the leave leaflets actually comes true?

Because so far, everything is as predicted with what remain is saying. You can only hope it doesn't continue.

Then why even bother voting at all?

If remain won, how would they be reacting? Go on, answer that one.

Like when the UK voted to stay in the EU in the 70s?
Didn't stop anyone to bash the EU in the past 5 decades in the UK.

People don't stop having an opinion about something just because a democratic decision was made.

Tak3n

Banned
Yeah, fuck the largest single area in the UK that basically funds the rest of England. Fuck them!

I know we dont see eye to eye, but yes, fuck London.... this is a marriage, it is like London is the sole wage earner in a marriage and bulling it's partner who does not earn anything...

That is not how life should be, we should not all have to bow down and accept things we don't want because London wants them...

By this Logic Scotland should shut the fuck up, as England provide them with the most money

SomTervo

This vote should show you just how out of touch London is with the rest of the country.

It's about time politicians actually listened to the concerns of people outside the capital. This is people power and democracy at work in front of our very eyes and it's fantastic.

But you and several others are in this thread saying 'London is out of touch, the problems are XYZ' when the problems are not XYZ and we're telling you repeatedly.

London and Scotland are completely different places with completely different politics and they both voted exactly the same sweep of Remain

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm not in favour of Leave, I voted for Remain. I just think Remain smugly telling Leave voters that they need to stop being so racist isn't a productive way to actually build a better society.
Well neither is willfully voting to tank your economy, so I guess that's something we can bond over.

kmag

The Scots had the chance to take their future into their own hands, but declined, even after centuries of domination and ridicule at the hands of the English.

Is this new development really enough to give them a change of heart? The stubbornness seems strong.

I hope it does. The Scots deserve better, and so do the Northern Irish. They should both leave the UK.
Actually native born scots voted for independence according to exit polling by about 53 to 47 but Ruk born folk living in Scotland overwhemlingly voted to stay (86 to 14) as did other immigrants (68 to 32)

Ashes

Banned
No, this is you and a lot more having a problem with the reasoning of people that decided theat Leave was a better option for the country that remain with the EU. And all of you have made your point clear of how this people are racist bigots xenomorphs white old people that don't have any education and are poor and that they shouldn't be able to vote or have their voice being represented in how their own country should be represented.

Call things what they are, you guys are elitist aristocrats and can't care less for democracy if it means the majority supports something you don't believe in.

Call things what they are?

BFIB

I'm deathly afraid that once Hilary wins, adds her Democrat to the SCOTUS and overturns the decision on immigration reform, the conservatives here are going to do the same fear tactic and call for action.

Those calling for a second referendum amuse me.
Asking the same question until you get the answer you want is really stupid.
If the overwhelming majority of your politicians and your people really wanted to remain the referendum wouldn't have happened in the first place.
It is done. You have to deal with it now.

I disagree with you

I think there was enough misinformation and General lack of understanding yesterday that has only been clarified since people have voted

A confirmation vote would be done with more information in the hands of voters

I don't doubt that the 350 million for nhs figure which was debunked this morning influenced some votes - why should that misinformation alter the course the country is taking?

aeolist

Banned

you're asking for a context-free discussion. in the current context of this vote "immigration" was a stalking horse for openly racist rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom