• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilonen

This referendum was a waste of everyone's time, the Leave MPs made that clear within 24 hours of the result. This was an internal ideological battle in the Tory party that was allowed to infect the whole country by a spineless moron of a PM. There are no benefits to leaving other than a vague idea of increased sovereignty.

Immigration is needed for our economy fo function, now and in the future. No government will reduce immigration to any great degree. Less than 24 hours after the vote we had a Leave campaigner admitting immigration will not change much. That is the deceit that they never expected they would have to reveal, immigration was always a cheap way of getting the working class frothing at the mouth but in economic terms it's massively beneficial for the country. Boris has already said he is pro-immigration, that he wants an amnesty for illegal immigrants etc.

It's staggering how much this is about one (or two, counting George Osborne) man's hubris. Cameron will go down in history as one of the weakest, most fickle leaders we've ever had.

The man didn't have a clue.

Get a fucking grip man, not a single job has been lost from this vote. And we're a country with a land border with fucking no-one. "less safe", please.

There's already reports in this thread (or if not, another one here) from GAFfers in the financial sector some people in their offices lost their jobs on Friday.

I'm not saying it's widespread, because really any impact will be longer term, but in those industries they're going to act faster than the rest of the country.

Get a fucking grip man, not a single job has been lost from this vote. And we're a country with a land border with fucking no-one. "less safe", please.

The remain campaigners really did a number on some people jesus.

Not only have jobs been lost by direct consequence of this vote, the fact of the matter also remains that nothing has been done yet. The UK has yet to actually leave the EU, or even set into motion the process of leaving the EU.

Arksy

So let's just pretend globalization and the EU as one of the biggest single markets never happened? You sound like you do not realize it's the year 2016.

He said London was a financial center because of the EU. I was responding to that. I'm not going to sit here and pretend the EU isn't a big market.

Respect

...and almost every Muslim in Britain originates from outside of the EU, not that the racist scum doing these things will get that.

Honestly, if they are so ignorant to spew irrational hatred, it really isn't a surprise they don't understand that. Anger inducing and pathetic the blatant racism on display.

This is a real thing for millions of people, particularly in Yorkshire too. Like I said a couple of days ago, when you actually talk to real people and get a grasp of what problems they have, you begin to understand that under the current regime (Yes that includes our own government) there's nothing positive in the future.

People have nothing, no future prospects, working 8 hours a day for very little. Wages aren't rising while the cost of living is skyrocketing. Houses are too expensive, schools are full, the NHS is struggling. They see an option for something new (with expectations of a brighter future) and you can bet they'll take that option. If you can kick the government in the bollocks while you do it, it's a bonus.

That's why large chunks of the poorest communities have voted to leave. They've been abandoned by a government that's focussed primarily on London over the last 20-30 years. It's as much a protest vote as it is an "immigration" vote, a "sovereignty" vote or whatever else.

And only after their protest vote have they finally started to realise they've made it worse on the schools, hospitals, and houses that they've been banging on about. It's sadly ironic.

Go_Ly_Dow

This is a real thing for millions of people, particularly in Yorkshire too. Like I said a couple of days ago, when you actually talk to real people and get a grasp of what problems they have, you begin to understand that under the current regime (Yes that includes our own government) there's nothing positive in the future.

People have nothing, no future prospects, working 8 hours a day for very little. Wages aren't rising while the cost of living is skyrocketing. Houses are too expensive, schools are full, the NHS is struggling. They see an option for something new (with expectations of a brighter future) and you can bet they'll take that option. If you can kick the government in the bollocks while you do it, it's a bonus.

That's why large chunks of the poorest communities have voted to leave. They've been abandoned by a government that's focussed primarily on London over the last 20-30 years. It's as much a protest vote as it is an "immigration" vote, a "sovereignty" vote or whatever else.

Jeremy Corbyn preaches these people, but the country ignores him.

His speech a short while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLoIHYwoRpE

Audioboxer

It upsets me that someone so ignorant and out of touch with current market realities had a vote that was equal to mine.

Miles are you going to get savage again? You need to eat a snickers when you're hungry to avoid going savage.

We've already had the old dying folk shouldn't have a vote :p

Tak3n

Banned
I think we should try and remember this is a small minority of people using the leave vote as a excuse to be openly racist

nOoblet16

as far as i understand it, I think the issue is that immigration will still happen 100,000 a year i suspect, but it will be controlled immigration... I agree if people voted leave because they thought immigration will go back to 1994 levels then I agree they are in for a shock...

if we have a points system and we end up having 200,000 a year because the economy needs it, then so be it...as long as it is a points based controlled system
The UK already has a point based system for non EU migrants if you didn't know...which is tough as shit if you didn't know.

And you want 200,000 a year of EU + non EU immigrants a year in total...INCLUDING students ? Because that's what they always do, they include students in immigration numbers to inflate it.
Good luck achieving that, while at the same time trying to fit in skilled workers in that number.

The UK already has a point based system for non EU migrants if you didn't know.

And you want 200,000 a year of EU + non EU immigrants a year in total...INCLUDING students ? Because that's what they always do, they include students in immigration numbers to inflate it.
Good luck achieving that, while at the same time trying to fit in skilled workers in that number.

You wouldn't know it from the press. Or talking to... anyone.

You really don't understand.

Don't understand what? That none of the things those people in the video voted 'against' in the referendum will likely actually change, let alone improve for them? I understand that. Their complaints were orientated around immigration, yes, but also helplessness, anti-Tory sentiment, concern over their futures. The one thing they have achieved is 'taking back power' from Brussels, but that's incredibly complex and not as straightforward and simple as they appear to hope. Leaving the EU does, by absolutely no means, necessarily mean they'll feel better about all these things i n5 years.

The need is mutual, France and Germany wouldn't want to put the screws on UK just so UK can reciprocate, this isn't some sort of emotional divorce here, negotiations need to happen and will happen, and it can get complicated but at the end of the day to it's hard to imagine things will change too much.

The bottomline is countries will still want to benefit from having a beneficial relationship with UK, with or without the EU, and that includes the big players like Germany and France.

Exactly this.

Its amazing how many people think this is a school play ground.

The vote is over, you need to take your fingers out of your ears and start paying attention again.

Do you think EU countries want to just sever ties with UK or give UK the shaft just because they're not longer part of the EU? The cost of relocating the financial sector in the UK would be tremendous and there will be way too much pressure for both sides to maintain the status quo just to make corporations happy as far as the financial sector is concerned.

They'll work something out that will keep the players happy, EU bureaucrats aren't necessarily men of principals, everybody will eventually bend and we'll look back at this and wonder what the big deal is.

All , all the bank and all the big players of "the city" are already ready to leave .. are you that out of touch with the current market ?
All the other places in EU are already ready to welcome them.

El Topo

Exactly this.

Its amzaing how many people think this is a school play ground.

Of course there will not be a financial war, but if people seriously think that EU will bend over, despite enormous political pressue (e.g. 2017 elections in Germany) then they have lost their mind. Pointing at an internal paper of the German government may mean absolutely nothing in a year.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
This is the problem with far right wing mentality, it's all about them and the world can burn for all they care. It's like the gun folks in USA, they only want what's best for then personally, the concept of collective good is lost on them, it doesn't even exist in thier dictionary

We saw the EU's idea of "Collective Good" in the whole Greece affair, didn't look so good on them TBH.

13434867_554085491441186_92758498509419843_n.jpg

This is a real thing that happened. The government was happy to abandon the north, north west, to focus on London and the south. Before EU funds came in, things were even worse, and they're not great now. The thought of that happening again is terrifying.

Gemüsepizza;208313446 said:
You don't understand this, do you? Those financial businesses will not just chill and wait. They will pack their things and leave. There is a 100% chance that they will have complete access to the EU markets in Frankfurt or Dublin. There is a very low chance that they will have the same access in the future in London. So why risk it and stay in London? This city is dead as a financial center.

You understand this is just a vote, right? Nothing has really happened yet other than reactionary sell-offs in the market, things will need to be worked out, businesses don't just "pack up and leave", they'll evaluate the cost of doing business and obviously it's necessary for UK to make some favorable changes to retain them, the major players in the financial sector might pressure both sides to maintain the status quo simply to avoid the cost of relocating, at the end of the day no corporation is a cheerleader of the EU for the sake of the EU, they don't really care whether the EU exists or not, it's the perks they care about and ultimately all those things will need to be negotiated and will be negotiated.

Carl2291

It's one of the reasons so many of us are bitter and saddened, because these people aren't going to get better lives out of this.
I don't think that's very fair. It's yet to be decided.

We have literally no idea where this country will be in 2, 5, 10, 15 plus years time.

QFT

Empty

Gemüsepizza;208313446 said:
You don't understand this, do you? Those financial businesses will not just chill and wait. They will pack their things and leave. There is a 100% chance that they will have complete access to the EU markets in Frankfurt or Dublin. There is a very low chance that they will have the same access in the future in London. So why risk it and stay in London? This city is dead as a financial center.

yep. our banking sector is the product of existing expertise + access to the eu markets + being halfway between usa and asia. now we've lost the crucial one, frankfurt has all three.

it's classic brexiteering. just pretend that everything good about our economy is because we're so great. rule britannia. spirit of churchill. make out that the eu has nothing to do with it and leaving will change nothing. the recklessness will make this country so much poorer.

Miles are you going to get savage again? You need to eat a snickers when you're hungry to avoid going savage.

We've already had the old dying folk shouldn't have a vote :p

I'm cool, I'm cool.

I do need to take a break though, too much of this thread isn't good for the soul...

I think we should try and remember this is a small minority of people using the leave vote as a excuse to be openly racist

This fucking guy...

sikkinixx

What I don't understand from the 'leave' people is how they can possibly think they will get a *better* economic deal than what they had while being in the EU. Why on earth would the EU give them a great deal while not having to take in the more costly responsibilities of being a member country?

If you want brown people and eastern Europeans to stay out there has to be *some* price you pay no?

It was like when Quebec voted on this shit here 20 years ago. Like you can vote to leave but everything, except the stuff you don't like of course, can stay the same.

MLH

Newsnight have an interesting one too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq3qdX2TGps

Ugh this one makes me sick to watch. The utter stupidity of these people. They talk about all the things they don't like; austerity, cuts to the NHS, welfare cheats, etc.
All of which are a result of ineffectual governance at Westminster, nothing to do with the EU.
One woman seems to think that if we voted remain the NHS would be over. The fool's just handed the NHS to the Tories on a silver platter. I'm sure the daily mail and sun will find a new target for these people to blame their problems on; maybe it'll be the unions, or something else that could be a force for good in this world but easily demonised by those that want to hide their agenda.

Arksy

Of course there will not be a financial war, but if people seriously think that EU will bend over, despite enormous political pressue (e.g. 2017 elections in Germany) then they have lost their mind.

Those elections are exactly why Merkel will bend over to the UK. She is facing enormous internal pressure to make a deal with the UK so it can be business as usual for Germany's massive export market to the UK.

EDIT: Oops missed your edit. That's ok, the deal only needs a qualified majority to pass.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
as far as i understand it, I think the issue is that immigration will still happen 100,000 a year i suspect, but it will be controlled immigration... I agree if people voted leave because they thought immigration will go back to 1994 levels then I agree they are in for a shock...

if we have a points system and we end up having 200,000 a year because the economy needs it, then so be it...as long as it is a points based controlled system

The people who voted Leave will not accept that, that is not what they voted for. They voted for a fantasy that Leave never thought they would have to deliver on.

Lordzap

Neo Member
So how likely is it now that Scotland votes to leave? If they do leave how bad do you guys think that would that be for the rest of the UK?

I don't think that's very fair. It's yet to be decided.

We have literally no idea where this country will be in 2, 5, 10, 15 plus years time.

No, we don't, but we can easily forecast that the British position now, economically, is likely to be unstable for a significant period of time, it could never be as strong as it would have been within the EU, we may end up joining the EFTA and incur all the same shit Leave apparently hates, and after all that, there is no guarantee our domestic politics will benefit/care about places like Hartlepool any more than they have done already.

The table's been thrown over and all you can say is 'well, it might get put back together in a good way'. It might very well not.

I don't know if 'excuse' is the word, I think they'll have been it anyway - but yes, it's a minority.

But I think it is worth remembering that the dislike of people from other countries has been bubbling below the surface for years. Those people might be called racist, or consider themselves it, but those tensions have been there and the rhetoric of 'take our country back' is rooted in it. Yes - for many they meant from Brussels. But for others, they'll have thought of that as from other people, cultures and things. Racism is still a problem in society (obviously not just Britain) and we've not done enough to deal with it. The risk is that if we don't act well now, we risk making that worse.

If the government don't make enough moves to also improve the situation for those left behind over the last few, ten years or so, these tensions will just grow and grow.

David Cameron.

This got a proper laugh from me.

Zaph

This is just hilarious. Is there a single Leave supporter who works at a mid or high level at a multinational?

At best, the amount of projects and investments that have been stalled until Brexit's dust settles will cost jobs - you simply won't see people getting fired because the job never got a chance to exist. Everyone is skittish, nobody wants to sign anything, and a bunch of very generous Brexit clauses in existing contacts can now be actioned on.

Audioboxer

I'm cool, I'm cool.

I do need to take a break though, too much of this thread isn't good for the soul...

This fucking guy...

It isn't but it's soo hard to turn away just now. The alterative may be trying to contest with inner silence which may make you angrier. Better out than in but try not to go full savage too often lol. That can corrupt the soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom