• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the politicians did not really listen, if they do a deal that allows free movement...they may as well not bothered holding a referendum....we will literally be back to square one...immigration will still be the issue every one raises at GE...

as hard as this sounds, free movement has got to be a red line, or it was a waste of everyones time

Free trade dosn't make sense without Free movement...

Ashes

Banned
I feel like the politicians did not really listen, if they do a deal that allows free movement...they may as well not bothered holding a referendum....we will literally be back to square one...immigration will still be the issue every one raises at GE...

as hard as this sounds, free movement has got to be a red line, or it was a waste of everyones time

There is 0% chance. Because both sides won't really want it.

Yeah right people in UK will not buy German cars but real british cars like the bentley, the mini or the rolls royce.... Oh wait..

UK will loose a huge chunk of its financial services business and rhe capital that cpmes with it.

There is nonway the EU will allow London to remain the main place to trade Euros, state bonds etc. in the future and will simply not issue EU Passports to banks that have seats only in London.

So yeah UK wants something from EU for sure.

All this can be negotiated, UK imports more than it exports, it's in EU's best interests to remain tapped into the UK market by not fucking with UK's financial services sector too much, I doubt either side will want to get too nasty.

indeed, but whatever I wrote people would of said no chance

Disappointing because regardless of how people might reply it would be interesting to see what you'd find worth the vote but still realistic and achievable as that seems to be the crux of the issue (at least in tension with the major promises of the campaign). The list of demands you posted are "hardball" by your own definition so presumably there are compromises you would still feel were worth the Leave vote

JP_

Banned

So UK demands no freedom of movement, how do you expect that will affect the rest of the terms of any agreement? You'd be giving EU less, what do you think they'll do in return?

spoiler alert: your trade deals will be even worse if you don't put freedom of movement on the table.

They're basically burning the country to the ground to get back at Westminster. Cutting your nose off to spite your face is a fitting expression for those people.

1. They aren't burning the country to the ground. Stop being so laughably melodramatic.

2. I can see why the politicians, London 'elite' and coffee shop middle classes would see it this way.
Maybe the rest of the country thinks 'Fuck those people'. They've neglected and sneered at the concerns of everyone else for ages.

Steel

Banned

It was a waste of time. Even countries outside the EU that have deals with it have free movement.

Zaph

And if we were to force a deal without free movement there won't be very severe implications elsewhere?

Christ, the mentality of Brexiters whenever they're asked to explain 'now what?'. The graphs say it all.

nOoblet16

So UK demands no freedom of movement, how do you expect that will affect the rest of the terms of any agreement? You'd be giving EU less, what do you think they'll do in return?

spoiler alert: your trade deals will be even worse if you don't put freedom of movement on the table.

Turkey lite

Jisgsaw

Just responding to the trolls who think Merkel is going to give UK a very hard shaft, cant see it myself, UK is not in a position like Greece where we are asking for money or help.

I also don't think Merkel will be too hard (she is above all a compromiser), but that really depends on your definition of "hard".
EU will probably push for a Norwegian type of deal, the problem is no one knows what the UK wants. Will they accept it?
The open point may be if the EU gives the UK the financial passport or not, this will probably be the main chunk of the negociation. And there Merkel might push to not giving it, in order to fortify Frankfurt; France may get along in hope to fortify Paris / La Défense.

FATALITY

Banned
not by me, just to clear

ClzMCDvXIAA9QhS.jpg

look how old these guys are.

All this can be negotiated, UK imports more than it exports, it's in EU's best interests to remain tapped into the UK market by not fucking with UK's financial services sector too much, I doubt either side will want to get too nasty.

I dont think EU will allow a offshore tax haven that they cant control and that controls all their money. Thats non negotiable. If anything UK will have to allow control by EU regulations and will habe to pay contributions. Germany can gain a lot by keeping up a trade barrier for financial services and the car sales may take a hit but ultimately geeman cars will stay competitive even with tarrifs.
UK just dared to vote for leave and Brexit won, I think people understand now that it's possible, the door has been opened whether we like this or not.

Not being a part of the EU a country most likely can establish quotas in terms of how many people they can allow into the country legally.

Depending on public sentiment/pressure current governments can be pressured into considering the possibility, they might not want to bet all their political capital on sticking with the EU when they've just witness Cameron's folly.

Right nobody outside of the extremists will call for a Referendum.mnp body wants to become cameron 2.0

Tosyn_88

It was mentioned several times before but if they actually do that now, it is good.

That has, however, nothing to do with the other guy cheering for the UK to hold the EU hostage, thus causing economic damage which in turn means people losing jobs etc etc.

This is the problem with far right wing mentality, it's all about them and the world can burn for all they care. It's like the gun folks in USA, they only want what's best for then personally, the concept of collective good is lost on them, it doesn't even exist in thier dictionary

1. They aren't burning the country to the ground. Stop being so laughably melodramatic.

2. I can see why the politicians, London 'elite' and coffee shop middle classes would see it this way.
Maybe the rest of the country thinks 'Fuck those people'. They've neglected and sneered at the concerns of everyone else for ages.

You have seen the news about Tata Steel? We are talking here about 11.000 employees in the UK (mostly South Wales apparently) who could lose their jobs. And that's only the beginning. Many more will follow. People do not want to invest in a country with such an uncertain future.

What really bugs me right now is how it seems that all the problems that spurred the leave vote weren't really the EU's fault supposedly, and its more down to our government. Makes the whole thing seem freaking pointless, and makes me angrier at the media/campaigns.

PJV3

Fuck this bullshit. :(

I think we could sort out a lot of problems with political reform at home, it's a shame the EU is getting flak for a crappy system that only cares about marginal seats.

There are real grievances that are not going to be sorted by this vote.

Tak3n

Banned
And if we were to force a deal without free movement there won't be very severe implications elsewhere?

Christ, the mentality of Brexiters whenever they're asked to explain 'now what?'. The graphs say it all.

it is not my mentality, I am saying they need to find a way to get a good deal for all parties that blocks free movement...

We all know, the evidence shows the leave campaign won because of the promise of no more immigration, to now undo that, they might as well say...you know what we stuffed up, we can not see any way to progress without allowing free movement, so we are simply going to overturn the referendum...

ok, they will get shat on at the GE, but what we are heading for if they dont block free movement is something no one wants

And those who will rise in the power after this, will do that even on a more extreme way. One of the victors of this referendum said that healthcare should be privatized in 10 years, I'm sure that's what the working classes needs.This all the expense of validating bigots in their toxic xenophobia and racism across your country and possibly dozends of thousands of jobs lost, people who will have to leave UK and a whole generation denied the possibility of the EU citizenship, with all the benefits that conveys.

Surely, you can see it wasn't a smart decision just to send a message.

But one of the reasons the city is so big because it was the gateway to the ECP and EuroBonds market.
If that's no longer the case that business may be going to Frankfurt or Dublin. That's a sizable drop in non-EU services trade as well.

At the end of the day, in negotiations, what's more important is who has better hands to negotiate with. UK is in a much worse position.

That's is not to say they will get royally screwed, but I'm not sure you'll get what you think you can get.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, neither side really has the upperhand in terms of leverage, there's too much mutual reliance for that to happen.

Zaph

It's fascinating how little the EU actually has to do with 95% of what they are worried about.

They hate the Tories, yet they've made them more powerful than ever. Jesus christ.

So many people had no clue what they were voting for. Xenophobia won out.

I want to say convincing the country Tory problems were actually EU problems is quite a trick, but it was done in such an obvious and easy way, that I can't even be impressed with the execution.

But one of the reasons the city is so big because it was the gateway to the ECP and EuroBonds market.
If that's no longer the case that business may be going to Frankfurt or Dublin. That's a sizable drop in non-EU services trade as well.

Not may. It will. Major banks have already announced plans to leave. This is probably just the start and assiming that UK will get a good deal (which will not be the case)

JP_

Banned
it is not my mentality, I am saying they need to find a way to get a good deal for all parties that blocks free movement...

We all know, the evidence shows the leave campaign won because of the promise of no more immigration, to now undo that, they might as well say...you know what we stuffed up, we can not see any way to progress without allowing free movement, so we are simply going to overturn the referendum...

ok, they will get shat on at the GE, but what we are heading for if they dont block free movement is something no one wants

What makes you think it's possible to get a good deal with no freedom of movement...? You give EU bad terms, but expect them to give you good terms in return? Makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom